Start by marking “Two Wolves” as Want to Read:
Two Wolves

Two Wolves

One afternoon, police officers show up at Ben Silver’s front door. Minutes after they leave, his parents arrive home. Ben and his little sister Olive are bundled into the car and told they’re going on a holiday. But are they?

It doesn’t take long for Ben to realise that his parents are in trouble. Ben’s always dreamt of becoming a detective – his dad even calls him ‘Cop’.
Published March 3rd 2014 by Random House Australia Pty Ltd (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Two Wolves, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Liam It is mostly a good ending. Although, not the best ending for the dad.
Shivaani 38 small chapters but it is a relatively thin book

Catherine
This latest novel by Tristan Bancks is different from his earlier humourous, light-weight books for younger teens. This story has a flawed protagonist - Ben is often unsure of what is going on, and accordingly makes decisions believable for a 13 year old. His father, (the anagonist) a menacing and unpredictable man drives this pacey and equally unpredictable story. Ben is a thinker and a wonderer and so there are several solid themes running through this book including the one on which the title ...more
Fleur Ferris
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. I highly recommend this for anyone 10 years and above. Loved it.
Steve lovell
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I could never quite see the attraction of those two enduring Aussie soaps, 'Neighbours' and 'Home and Away', although if you have the climate the Poms have to put up with I can see a reason for their adoration of them – a daily dose of Oz sunshiney-ness (yes, I know – not the right spelling. I just prefer the word that way) would bring light and colour to their dun world. It is, though, undoubtedly true that the twin mainstays of our early evening programming have provided an excellent breeding ...more
Miffy
Dec 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Tristan Bancks latest book is an intense novel for younger readers. Ben is a chubby, thoughtful, insecure 13 year old. His world is filled with the escapism of online games and stop-animation film-making, where he controls the action. From the first chapter we can hear in Ben's voice that he is unsure about his family, can recognise that they are poor, and that there is an undercurrent of hopelessness and anxiety about his life.

One afternoon the police come to the Silver's front door, and Ben's
Gaby
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Tried out this new release as I thought the kids may not have read it yet (in time for Literature Circles next term). Am quite excited as I think this story is perfect for the group of boys I will be working with. They like reading and discussing books but are very limited in the types of books they choose to read (we need to move beyond Diary of a Wimpy Kid). The story was fast-paced, the 13 year-old protagonist was relatable and there was just enough conflict with the charac ...more
K.
Trigger warnings: fat shaming, abusive parent, implied abusive relationship, animal cruelty, vomit.

3.5 stars.

I was super intrigued going into this one, because it's one of our highest circulating titles at work. And it was definitely a compelling story - I sped through the first 84 pages in about twenty minutes. And I read the rest of it in under an hour this morning. So it's incredibly fast paced.

But once they got to the cottage, the story definitely got less interesting for me. It reminded m
Charlotte
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this book down. I read The Fall by the same author first and it was amazing, but this book engaged me to the point of staying in my pyjamas all day, just so I could finish it. The suspense in this book put me on the edge of my seat.
Rosanne Hawke
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Ben Silver’s parents are crims. The story shows Ben’s journey of discovering this and trying to protect his sister. Although the concept of two wolves isn’t new, Ben’s internal struggle between being loyal to his parents and doing the right thing is thought provoking. Great characterisation: the dad was really bad and Ben’s internal struggle is shown well. The plot certainly sustains interest and there were great images and strong verbs. Although there were a few places where images were a littl ...more
Gaby Meares
Apr 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a gripping adventure/thriller suitable for young teens+. Our narrator, Sam, is likable, fiesty, and ultimately heroic (in the true sense of the meaning). He has to navigate a difficult journey, both physical and emotional, that requires him to mature well before his time. This a story about choices: the bad choices parents and grandparents have made, that could make it very easy for Sam to follow suit...and the choice that Sam ultimately makes. A great book, particularly for reluctant bo ...more
Jimmi Jet
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Two wolves is a gripping tale like no other. The complexity of the situation is humoured by Ben's younger sister Olive as she as she struggles to understand what is really going on. This book expresses many emotions all in one and is an adventure filled with action, a great book for someone who likes books that are hard to put down.
Christine
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
A well written realistic adventure. It began with Ben's family going on a sudden 'holiday' & initially Ben (who is 13) seems pretty naive about what's really going on. The second half was quite gripping. Recommended for Year 7 & above.
Marj Osborne
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very well constructed novel with believable child characters. This is a step into new territory for Tristan and I loved it.
Debbie Smith
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Two Wolves is a gripping and “high-stakes adventure story that will keep you guessing and breathless until the last page.” Michael Gerard Bauer, author of “Don’t Call Me Ishmael” and “Just a Dog”.

This powerful story seems simple on the surface, yet soon the reader is pulled into the world of its main character, Ben Silver and his family, and into some deep undercurrents that don’t necessarily happen in most families. From the very outset, the reader can feel the tension building and it’s not too
Molly
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My favourite book ❤❤❤ ...more
Annmaree
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: year-6-books
"One afternoon, police officers show up at Ben Silver's front door. Minutes after they leave, his parents arrive home. Ben and his little sister Olive are bundled into the car and told they're going on a holiday. But are they? It doesn't take long for Ben to realise that his parents are in trouble. Ben's always dreamt of becoming a detective - his dad even calls him 'Cop'. Now Ben gathers evidence and tries to uncover what his parents have done.
The problem is, if he figures it out, what does he
Linda Weeks
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Two Wolves is a story that intrigues the reader. No-one's actions are predictable, and it's never quite clear what might happen.

Why are Ben's parents taking him and his sister on 'holiday'? Why is it so rushed? Do they really have to stay in their grandfather's cabin? For how long? What about school? And their friends? And normal life?

And what is his dad really hiding? Can Ben's detective skills dig up any answers to all these questions? Or will he simply end up a 'chip off the old block', desti
Sasha
This is a great read - aimed at older primary to younger secondary kids but well worth a read. The writing is clear and simple without being patronising. The protagonist of the story is 12 year old Ben Silver. A not very fit, prefers to make movies inside, average kid who has to decide between trusting his parents or trusting the evidence in front of him. The author doesn't play down how difficult it is to go against your parents - and makes the reader recognise that there is not a simple "right ...more
Taya H
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. In my bookshop, I'm always asked for teen novels that: a) are Australian stories, and b) will get boys into reading. Two Wolves fits both of these bills perfectly. Ben is a relatable character and the story is so vivid I felt I was there. Genuinely tense and page turning without being violent or graphic, I highly recommend.
Jude
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
This is a five star adventure. I read it quite quickly because I just couldn't put it down. Ben and Olive, along with their parents, are on the run from the police. Ben has always wanted to be a policeman so he tries to gather evidence to uncover exactly what it is that his parents have done. I would highly recommend this book to both girls and boys.
Rana
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a Year 8 Reader's Cup novel.
Ben Silver is a normal boy until police knock on his door. When he tells his parents, they say that they are now going on a "Holiday". Ben knows something isn't right so he tries to be a detective to piece the evidence together to figure out his parent's crime.
I enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone who likes mystery/adventure genres.

Melinda Szymanik
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Well written, superbly paced, gut-wrenching, dramatic and exciting tale about 13 year old Ben who, along with his little sister Olive is whisked away by his parents after police visit the family home. What has happened? Why are they 'on the run'? Where, and how, will it end? A terrific tale of moral dilemmas and a fight for survival and finding strength against the odds.
Johanna Rooy
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A really engaging read and great suggestion from my bookclub friend, Ali. Ben is an unlikely hero but impossible not to love. His care for his sister and his understanding of the dysfunction of his family is pushed beyond limits.
Tina
Feb 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Maybe it was because I read it in small chunks, but I felt like it was just missing something. I liked the characters and the idea, but it just didn't play out totally believably for me...
Monica
Aug 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5
Interesting tale about how far you would go to trust your family.
Dimity Powell
Jan 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-lit
Loved the concept, tension and telling of this tale. Bancks brilliance.
MissHancock
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A quick read. Full of suspense right up until the very last pages!
Sophie
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
So good fantastic bookq
Grace
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book I would highly recommend it, it wasn't to long but was hard to put down.
 Creative Kids Tales
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
What a ride! I was captivated from the start. Check out my review on www.creativekidstales.com.au
Holly Bamber
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Pretty good gripping book. Only took me two nights to read. Pretty enjoyable.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Freedom Ride
  • The Road to Winter (Winter, #1)
  • Found
  • A Single Stone
  • Borderlands (Chasing the Valley #2)
  • Intruder
  • Mr Romanov's Garden in the Sky
  • Nanberry: Black Brother White
  • Cooper Bartholomew Is Dead
  • New Guinea Moon
  • After the Lights Go Out
  • One Would Think the Deep
  • A Very Singular Guild (City of Orphans, #3)
  • The Haunting of Lily Frost
  • Lenny's Book of Everything
  • Head of the River
  • Other Brother
  • The Story of Tom Brennan
Tristan Bancks is a children’s and teen author with a background in acting and filmmaking. His books include the My Life series, Mac Slater (Australia and US) and Two Wolves, a crime-mystery novel for middle-graders. Two Wolves won Honour Book in the 2015 Children’s Book Council of Australia Book of the Year Awards. It also won the YABBA and KOALA Children’s Choice Awards. It is released in the US ...more
“. A terrible battle between two wolves. One wolf is bad - pride, jealousy, greed. The other wolf is good - kindness, hope, truth. The child asks, 'Who will win?' The grandfather answers simply, 'The one you feed.” 4 likes