Start by marking “The Silence of Juliet Mann” as Want to Read:
The Silence of Juliet Mann

The Silence of Juliet Mann

Juliet Mann is about to get hitched at last. Her fiancé is gorgeous, her dress is stunning, her family are overjoyed ... and perhaps more than a little relieved. But Juliet has a secret – a problem she’s tried to hide for far too long. Juliet’s moment has finally arrived, but when the time comes to say ‘I do’, Juliet can’t say anything at all.

Her parents are far from unde
Published December 9th 2013 by Mirrorball Books

To ask other readers questions about The Silence of Juliet Mann, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silence of Juliet Mann

Start your review of The Silence of Juliet Mann
Maria
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful story. It's beautifully written. This author has a talent for really getting inside a character's mind and describing their thoughts, feelings, and actions well. The subject matter makes it a bit more than just another romance. The author deals with the subject of speech impediments. The main character, Juliet Mann, has always suffered from a stammer that is made worse when she is anxious. We first meet her on the day of her wedding. She struggles to say her vows and ends up leaving ...more
Debbie Young
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This neat novelette contains Joanne Phillips' trademark mix of thoughtfulness and humour, telling the story of a young woman struggling to overcome the lifelong affliction of a stammer. It's all but transformed her into a hermit, doors of opportunity slamming shut at every turn, and will continue to do so for as long as she'll allow it. The resolution isn't obvious but it's satisfying, making this a heartwarming, thought-provoking read.

Although not really a Christmas book, it's very atmospheric
Carrie Lahain
Juliet Mann is a stammerer. Situations that may be uncomfortable or even frightening for us--reading aloud in class, making a public presentation--are torture for Juliet, who cannot even pronounce her own name without difficulty. In spite of her disability, Juliet has managed to carve out a comfy, if circumscribed, life for herself. She's even getting married.

And that's where things go haywire.

Juliet tries to speak her vows and things do not go well. Horrified, humiliated, she runs off. Her fam
Martina Munzittu
What a great story. It addresses an issue I never considered before, and yet I have a friend who used to stammer. Somehow he doesn't stammer anymore and I never thought of asking how he overcame this problem.

When I was reading this book, I was touched by the devastating effects that stammering could have on a person’s life. I never realized that this could pose such a problem, to the point that our heroin was even unable to pronounce her vows on her wedding day. I really felt for her, it’s a to
Terry Tyler
Dec 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I thought this was so good - just the right length for the story, very 'real', and not just because it deals with such an unglamorous subject, ie, stammering (not stuttering!). So well told, it flowed beautifully. I know that it was written from personal experience (although not autobiographical), which made it much more interesting because it taught me about something new.

At first I thought, hmm, surely Juliet's parents would have done more to help her, and how come her fiance didn't realise th
Rosie Amber
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Juliet's wedding day turns into a disaster when she cannot say her name. She has trouble speaking in public. She remembers painful school days when the English teacher would ask her to read out loud. Her family have swept the issue under the carpet and Juliet has found ways to cope but they don't deal with the problem.

Juliet has a speech impediment and she gets to a point in her life when she must face it full on. The doctor sent her to a speech therapist but she must first deal with her own sha
Elaine Jeremiah
Dec 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a novelette about a bride who finds she cannot say her vows because of her stammer. It's the story of how she begins to get help and rebuild her shattered dreams.

I thought this was a great seasonal tale for Christmas. The character of Juliet was especially appealing and I had so much sympathy for her as the story unfolded. I felt as though I was right there with her in her struggle to cope with her crippling stammer.

A lovely story for Christmas or any time you fancy reading a short roma
Julie (73)
Aug 07, 2014
Mercedes
Aug 09, 2014
Jacqui Clutton
rated it did not like it
Mar 13, 2015
Felicia
Jun 12, 2015
Audrey Stewart
Jul 20, 2015
Joanne Phillips lives Cheshire, England with her nine-year-old daughter Lulu, and spends her days (and often nights!) writing commercial fiction, romantic comedies and contemporary mysteries. Her first novel, Can’t Live Without, was an Amazon top 100 bestseller in 2012, and the stand-alone sequel, The Family Trap, won the coveted SpaSpa award in 2013 for Best Romantic Comedy.

Joanne developed a lo