Start by marking “Going Dark” as Want to Read:
Going Dark

Going Dark

We are the last individuals of our species on Earth. How shall we respond? How shall we act?

If industrial civilization is maintained, climate change will cause human extinction in the near term. If industrial civilization falls, sufficient ionizing radiation will be released from the world's nuclear power plants to cause human extinction in the near term.

In the wake of
Published September 30th 2013 by PublishAmerica

Bradley Jarvis
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
NOTE: This review contains spoilers.

Guy McPherson and I are the same age, with very different experiences, yet we are converging on a similar set of conclusions about what the future holds for us and everyone else. I finished reading his book "Going Dark" two days after completing the latest update of my ongoing project to gain insight into how humanity's future is likely to evolve; both reach depressing conclusions about our prospects.

"Going Dark" is a group of essays mostly extracted from McP
Pauline Schneider
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: guy-mcpherson
Going Dark is an introspective and personal look at one's life upon discovering the very real threat of Near Term Human Extinction in the very near future, like by 2030 or even more terrifyingly, by 2017!
The Abyss calls to every living thing on Earth and very little is being done by the failed leaders of the world to seriously address the climate crisis.
The frustration and grief resulting from this knowledge has led Dr McPherson to travel the country and the world sharing the scientific informat
Brian
Jan 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Brian by: Jonathan Walliser
Many people will disagree with McPherson's conclusions. I agree with them. The premise of this book is that anthropogenic climate disruption is real, that it's proceeding at a far faster pace than most people realize, and that we've passed a tipping point beyond which life on Earth will become untenable. I'm certain many of my friends will think me crazy to believe such a thing, but while many of them are watching TV, I'm reading enough science to understand what's going on. I could point to the ...more
Bethk
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doomgloom, nonfiction
Contains spoilers

This book is mainly about Guy McPherson's personal thoughts on the matter. The question this book seeks to help one answer, is HOW can one continue to live and keep an attitude other than utter despair after one has seen that near-term human extinction is inevitable. While there are a number of other climate books that will tell you how we got over tipping-point after tipping-point, noting that one cannot identify a tipping point until they are past it (and it's too late), or wh
Rob Seimetz
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Could not put this one down. This book made me think in so many different ways. What an emotional experience it gave me. Guy McPherson is truly an inspiring human being.
Anthony R. Vecchiarelli
Mr. McPherson is deeply disturbed. He is trapped in vicious circle paradoxes he sees everywhere. He has no hope. He says hope is wishful thinking. He calls hope, "hopium." He says global warming has progressed beyond the point of no return. It is in runaway territory now. He says we are on a path toward "omnicide." Species extinction of humans will occur by 2030 or maybe 2050. He suggests that a world wide economic collapse in all the industrial civilizations would be a good thing for the planet ...more
MR. S. BEATTIE
Aug 06, 2018 rated it liked it
What's worrying is I think he could be correct.

I have been reading books on the environment for forty years. It started with lack of material for industry and loss of Whales. There was always a change we could make to repair the damage to the planet. I now see as the author highlights than mankind has triggered a world climate that we cannot control.
I did not like the quotes on nearly every page found this annoying .
If you are looking for a solution to climate change this book will depress you
robert
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding in every detail

life changing read that touches on all the critical issues of our time. This style of reading is not not for everybody
Martin
May 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
As the title conveys, quite a dark book. I hope Mc Phearsons view is overly pessimistic, but it's also possible that his view is actually realistic. However, he does not support it sufficiently with data in this book, it's all impressions and personal anectotes.
Ray
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
An Important book! Highly recommended!
Wendy Bandurski-miller
Sep 03, 2017
Jyri
Dec 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
“   As pointed out by French author and Nobelist in literature André Gide: "Everything that needs to be said has already been said. But since no one was listening, everything must be said again." So, here I go, saying it again.” 2 likes