Start by marking “Out of Time” as Want to Read:
Out of Time

Out of Time

A busy woman blindly rushing through a grocery store.

A hard-working man with a pink slip.

A desperate teen girl who has a terrible secret.

All are running out of time, and the choices they make will change their lives forever.

Each story is approximately 1200 words in length.
Published December 2nd 2012 by Mountainview Books, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Out of Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of Time

Start your review of Out of Time
Age Appropriate For: 15 and up for the topic of suicide
Best for Ages: 15 and up

Two things I can always count on Darlington for: solid writing and raw emotion. She tackles hard issues, not with easy answers or platitudes, but with the love of Christ.

Each of these stories will challenge you. They aren’t light reads to make you feel happy; they are made to open your eyes to those hurting around you. After all, if we are the church, shouldn’t we be out offering an answer for those starving for hope?
Olivia
Jun 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had tried to start several books on my kindle, but none of them stood out to me or I just wasn't in the mood for a full length story. I pulled this one up and was stuck. Three simple, yet poignant stories. The first one was my favorite. How often we quench the voice that prods us to do something we know is right! The second two were also touching and a reminder how important our lives really are!

While I enjoyed reading these quickly, I wouldn't have minded if they were slightly longer, but tha
Diana
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Out of Time's 3 short stories are bound to pull at emotions. As I read these I thought the stories would be good to use as a quick Bible study.

While there isn't scripture quoted it would be easy to link to verses. Plus the discussions of what the character did or didn't do, along with the choices the reader would make could be powerful.

The first story was one I identified with. Something I need to work on this year is being more ready to do what God is asking.
Carol
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
After reading this, I gave it to my friend to read. I sat across the table and watched her. When she got to the last line she gasped and burst into tears.
Nadine Keels
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
A busy woman rushing to make it to Bible study, a husband and father who's just been laid off, and a hurting teenager with a secret are all running... Out of Time, a collection of three short stories by author C.J. Darlington.

I promise I don't only read short stories when/because I'm running short on time myself. Even though it's convenient to get in quick reads, I appreciate the short story form for what it is, and this trio is rather good, especially the title story.

I could have cried at the e
Lydia Howe
This is very short - probably under 6,000 words in all. I've wanted to read it for a while but didn't feel inclined to spend the money, so was very pleased to get it with Kindle Unlimited. As always, Miss C. J.'s writing is well done. The stories were quite thought-provoking. The lowish rating comes mostly from the fact that I have a hard time with short stories, so I wasn't able to fully get into it.
Lynn Weldon
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A book of four short stories that touch on our times.
Emilie Haney
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-copy
This compilation of three short stories is a quick and easy read, but definitely worth the time ;) C.J. explores the idea of choices and time in three very different scenarios. Whether it be a woman shopping in a rush at the grocery store, a man who's just received bad news that will drastically affect his family, or a young woman who's about to make a terrible decision. Each must face a decision. Each decision will have a consequence.

For me, these stories were great illustrations, well written,
Tammie Fickas
Feb 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Out of Time is a novella by CJ Darlington. The three short, easy to read stories are loaded with a message of hope.

Times are tough and everyday life can push people to the brink. In each of the stories in Out of Time, CJ shows how one simple act on our part can change the life of someone in need.

As with her two novels, the characters in this novella are real and down to earth. CJ captures people in the day-to-day. People all over the country are going through similar situations, and her words p
Bob Allen
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Three poignant short stories written to catch the reader's attention and make one think about how to live out one's faith in one's daily life and about the "redemptive" (not in a salvific sense) power of helping others. "Out of Time" -- busy homemaker notices a lonely young girl, doesn't take the time to speak to her herself, but wishes "somebody" would do it. "Trying Times" -- a man loses his job in a factory cutback and is suicidal desparate. Finds a lost young boy in the woods. "The Calf Watc ...more
Nenette
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Here are three short stories that are sure to spark some kind of positive reaction, whatever one's lot in life is. If you are on the alright side, it will make you take stock and appreciate life more. If you are on the down and out side, the stories will hopefully rekindle a new hope in you.

I like that books and stories such as these still abound. We all need some inspiration and honest-to-goodness eye openers, not occasionally, but daily!
Leah Good
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Simply Profound

I read this collection of short stories in 30 minutes or less. They are simply written, but powerful in their everyday relevance. The first story, set in a grocery store, was especially thought provoking for me. Definitely recommend this to anyone who needs something to read in a little cranny of reading opportunity.
Rebecca
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good short stories that I wanted to go further - not that they were lacking anything just that they were so interesting I could see them developing into longer tales. (In fact, one did. I'm not telling you which; you have to get the ebook yourself to find out!)
Lillie
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Three very short stories--but each is extremely thought-provoking and, to many of us, convicting.
Cmking14
Oct 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Short with Good Message

Each one of these stories has a message to give. We rush around sometimes and do not look around us to the people that need hope.
Michelle
Oct 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Very short stories, but they make you think. I enjoyed them. Available as a free e-book, so it's a great way to test out a new author.
Agnieszka
Oct 13, 2015
Carol Bostian
May 26, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• Taco-Truck Tryst (Quinn Valley Ranch, #1)
  • Ryder Revisited (Quinn Valley Ranch, #2)
  • Scented Sensibility (Quinn Valley Ranch, #3)
  • Fixing Forever (Quinn Valley Ranch, #4)
  • Daring Dreamer (Quinn Valley Ranch, #7)
  • Librarian's Legend (Quinn Valley Ranch, #10)
  • Haylee's Homecoming (Quinn Valley Ranch, #12)
  • Billionaire's Bargain (Quinn Valley Ranch, #15)
  • Riley's Reverend (Quinn Valley Ranch, #18)
  • Lost Memories and New Beginnings (The Men of Fire Beach #2)
  • Never Forget the Past (The Men of Fire Beach #3)
  • Fire Games (The Men of Fire Beach #1)
  • Rhett's Make-Believe Marriage (Seven Sons Ranch in Three Rivers Romance #1)
  • The Wedding Kiss
  • The Girls Across The Bay (Knox and Sheppard, #1)
  • Jeremiah's Bogus Bride (Seven Sons Ranch in Three Rivers Romance #4)
  • Tripp's Trivial Tie (Seven Sons Ranch in Three Rivers Romance #2)
  • Liam's Invented I-Do (Seven Sons Ranch in Three Rivers Romance #3)
C. J.'s love of reading began when she was a kid dragging home bags of books from the library. When she was twelve she started dreaming about becoming a published author. That dream came true when her first novel Thicker than Blood won a national writing contest. It became the first book in the Thicker than Blood series, which also includes Bound by Guilt, Ties that Bind, and Running on Empty. She ...more