Start by marking “Dare to Dream (Dare to Dream, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dare to Dream (Dare to Dream, #1)

Read Book

Dare to Dream

(Dare to Dream #1)

Saying goodbye to the horses they love has become a way of life for Marley and her sisters, who train and sell show jumpers to make their living. Marley has grand ambitions to jump in Pony of the Year, but every good pony she’s ever had has been sold out from under her to pay the bills.

Then a half-wild pinto pony comes into her life, and Marley finds that this most unlikel
Published December 2nd 2013

To ask other readers questions about Dare to Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dare to Dream

Start your review of Dare to Dream (Dare to Dream, #1)
Clare O'Beara
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a wild ride, a fantastically fun story with a deep base in some serious issues for today's young adults.

Marley and her two older sisters live on the family farm, but when we meet them, they are all that is left of the family. As Marley is underage her eldest sister is her legal guardian, which is enough to stretch goodwill every time Marley wants to leave homework undone or go to a horse show instead of school sports. Van and Kris work hard on the farm, breaking and training ponies to s
Kate Lattey
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
"In her dreams, she was always riding Cruise."
Brittney
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horse-books-read
Dare to Dream is truly a horse-lover's novel! From page one through the end of this book, the equine adventures never quit - whether they involve riding bareback & barefoot to the local pond for a swim, the view from the back of a pony galloping through the show jumping arena, or the every day details of loving & caring for horses. But, what I loved most about this book is the characters Lattey created - especially the three main characters! The three main characters are the Carmichael sisters - ...more
Anna
Dec 26, 2014 added it
Shelves: horses
I am not going to give this book a rating.
Not because I think Lattey isn’t a decent writer or because there’s something inherently wrong with the story but because – to put it with the inimitable Ian Dury – it just didn’t hit me, personally, with its rhythm stick.
On the other hand, Dare to Dream is without a shadow of a doubt a better choice for those teen readers (real or imaginary age) that are into the competition horse book genre than better known titles such as The One Dollar Horse or The
Ruth Casey May
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic Story!

I have always loved horse stories, and though my teen years are far behind me, I could so identify with Marley, Van, and even Kris. The author does a wonderful job of bringing you into the action, an I totally recommend this book for all horse lovers!
Jenn
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was fantastic! Yes, it's basically a girl tames wildish pony and goes on to win everything story, but it's also way more. It's about family and growing up and responsibility, all with horses and ponies. Wonderful. Can't wait to start the next.
Cressida Ellen Schofield
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I had high expectations of this book as it had been recommended to me by many of my author friends, many of whom write within the pony book genre - and it did not disappoint.

What impressed me the most is how Kate Lattey doesn't pull her punches in describing what it is actually like to live with and love horses. Without giving anything away, all I can say is that this book broke me three times over. But then, it is the sign of a great author when your own heart breaks whenever the characters' do
Amanda Wills
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Dare to Dream is one of those fantastic novels that completely transports you somewhere else, in this case the rundown New Zealand farm where the Carmichael sisters, Kris, Van and Marley, eke out a living by training and selling show jumpers.
Marley, the youngest of the three, has resigned herself to the fact that every good pony she owns will eventually end up being sold to pay the bills. That is, until an unbroken pinto pony comes into her life.
Cruise Control is Marley's soulmate, and while she
Rachael Eliker
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Kate Lattey has crafted a fantastic story about hope, overcoming incredible odds, heartache, hard work and family sticking together. I thoroughly enjoyed the vivid world Kate created and the characters who were very relatable, both good and bad. I couldn't help but root for Kris, Van and Marley and their sassy and sweet ponies and the struggles they faced together. Dare to Dream was definitely a page turner that had plenty of suspense to keep me reading late into the night. Looking forward to re ...more
Kirsty Johnston
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great read, left me wanting to read more about the girls. Lovely to have the second book good to go as started that one right away. Being from New Zealand could read the story line and relate it to stories that have happened at shows.
Jamie
Jan 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: on-kindle, read-2015
Enjoyed this book
Becky Prunty
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
A quick and fun romp with horses

A fun book, engaging characters and story line. Hope to see more depth as the series continues. A great story for the YA horse obsessed group.
Helen
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully written horse lover's story. It will tug at your heart and brings back all the horses I ever rode. Ms. Lattey captures the personify and uniqueness of each horse and the determination and love of the family of sisters that love and train them. I have read many horse stories in my life and this jumps right into my favorite list. Her characters are portrayed so well, their interactions capture the interplay of sisters growing up, their bickering and close bonds of the three w ...more
Howard Katzoff
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a fabulous story!!

What a wonderful tale about daughters who raised them selves after losing their parents. They raised horses and were totally devoted to them. Great read!!
Deborah
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good

Long but knot tiring. Thee author write amazing descriptions and at thee horse shows is the best. I love the paint pony. Everything works out the best it could.
Deloomey
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Angela Miles
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
very good book

My one complaint is the book is a bit drawn out. The writing is good, the plot is good, but it is around a quarter too long.

The book starts out with a great pony being hurt, then a pony arriving half feral. Said half feral is the focal point but there are several underlying plot twists that are interesting but don't need to be as well drawn as they are. I won't give spoilers about it here.

The book is a very good one, and I enjoyed it but I doubt I will come back for another book b
LYD3
Nov 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
This author is a bully and should be ashamed of herself. I will not be reading any further books of hers, even though I have previously purchased them all, as she thinks it is acceptable to mock any reviews where she does not get five stars on her Facebook page. I realise this is easier than improving writing skills, but that doesn't make it acceptable.
Gemma
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Break out the tissues

Such a beautifully amazing yet sad story. I loved being able to "see" what the other characters were thinking, especially the sisters and then Cruise. Looking forward to the next instalment.
Emma Gunnell
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thumbs up x1000

Made me cry like a baby when cruise left. I felt like I knew the characters personally. Great book I would recommend to anyone.
Amanda Maher
Mar 14, 2014
Isy
Jun 30, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• A Perfect Stride (Loxwood, #2)
  • Loxwood (Loxwood, #1)
  • Lap of Honour (Loxwood, #5)
  • Between the Flags (Loxwood, #3)
  • The Secret Lake
  • Defining Gravity (Defining Gravity Series Book 1)
  • Lucy's Chance (Red Rock Ranch, #1)
  • Two Strides (Show Jumping Dreams, #30)
  • The New Girl-Book 1 : The Twins' New Neighbor: Books for Girls
  • Heart Horse (Show Jumping Dreams, #27)
  • A Hoof in the Door (Eventing, #2)
  • Ticket to Ride (Eventing Trilogy Book 3)
  • Calvin: Collection Book 4 Great Calvin Adventure And Hobbes Cartoon Comics Books For Kids, Boys , Girls , Fans , Adults
  • Half Halt (Show Jumping Dreams, #15)
  • Road to Success (Loxwood, #4)
  • Push Button (Show Jumping Dreams, #33)
  • The Thirteenth Horse
  • The Horses Know Trilogy: Books 1-3
Kate lives in Waikanae, New Zealand, and has ridden horses since the age of 10. After several years competing as a teenager, she went on to work with horses in England, Ireland and the United States, as well as various horse jobs in New Zealand.

Kate's published works include the Dare to Dream series, the Clearwater Bay series, and the new Pony Jumpers series. All of her books tie into one another

Dare to Dream (2 books)
  • Dream On (Dare to Dream, #2)

News & Interviews

“Never tell her that something is impossible, because she'll kill herself proving you wrong.” 9 likes
“Goodbye," she told him, running her hand across his broad back one last time. "I love you. And I'll never, ever stop missing you.” 4 likes