Start by marking “Roverandom” as Want to Read:
Roverandom

Roverandom

J.R.R. Tolkien’s fantasy story about the adventures of a bewitched toy dog, written before The Hobbit.

While on holiday in 1925, four-year-old Michael Tolkien lost his beloved toy dog on the beach at Filey in Yorkshire. To console him, his father, J.R.R.Tolkien, improvised a story about Rover, a real dog who is magically transformed into a toy and is forced to seek out the

Published September 26th 2013 by HarperCollins (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Roverandom, please sign up.
emre yuvarlak No, Tolkien wrote this story for his son. There is no connection with LOTR or Hobbit. But you can read this book because i think you'll like it.

Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
This is a fantastically childish book that is thoroughly charming; it really captures the essence of Tolkien’s softer themes and humour. Not everything has to be constantly dark and foreboding for his writing to be successful. This is simple, imaginative and a good little bit of fun.

The tale is quaint and fairly short in which a dog, initially named Rover, is turned into a toy as an act of revenge because he bit a mean old sand sorcerer. Some people really are that petty. This leads to a series
Paul
Nov 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun little tale.
A little bit manic in parts but full of imagination and a bit of fun.
Definitely one from the days when a kids book was supposed to challenge rather than mimic a childs vocabulary.
leynes
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roverandom is a novella by J.R.R. Tolkien, originally told in 1925, about the adventures of a young dog, Rover. In the story, an irritable wizard turns Rover into a toy, and Rover goes to the moon and under the sea in order to find the wizard again to turn him back into a normal-sized dog.
The blind was down; but outside the moon rose up out of the sea, and laid the silver path across the waters that is the way to places at the edge of the world and beyond, for those that can walk on it.
Tolkien
Fahime
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
داستان در مورد یک سگ کوچولو به نام رُوِره که به خاطر یک مسئلهی بی اهمیت، به یک جادوگر پارس میکنه و شلوارشو گاز میگیره. جادوگر هم عصبانی میشه و اونو تبدیل به یک سگ اسباببازیِ ریزهمیزه میکنه. رُوِر هم که حالا خیلی کوچولو شده، به دنبال جادوگر تا ماه و بعد تا ته اقیانوس میره تا راضیش کنه طلسمش رو باطل کنه.
مخاطبان کتاب بچهها هستن، اما کلی از موجودات موردعلاقهی تالکین اینجا هم هستن: عنکبوت، اژدها، گابلینها و ... اینجا هم آتشفشان هست و زمین صافه.
قلم تالکین هم به قدری فوقالعادهست که من کلی از خوندنش ل
Mary
I'm ashamed to admit it took me years to read Roverandom, but I'm so glad I finally did. I actually started the book years ago at the repeated insistence of my now-best friend, but I only made it a third of the way through before it went back to the library. I wasn't interested enough to check it out again and finish it then, though I always meant to. As a teenager, I just wasn't very interested in any Tolkien except Middle-earth, even though I was a die-hard Tolkien fan and was very much obsess ...more
Buğra Aydoğan
Roverrandom, Yüzüklerin Efendisi ve Silmarillion gibi J.R.R. Tolkien'in devleri arasında kaybolan, kıyıda köşede kalmış eserlerden biri. Oğlu Michael’ın oyuncak köpeğini kaybetmesi üzerine yazmaya başladığı, Rover adında bir köpeğin, bir büyücünün pelerinini ısırıp, büyücü tarafından oyuncağa dönüştürülmesini anlatan eğlenceli bir hikaye. Orta Dünya’da geçmemesi de Roverrandom’u diğer Tolkien eserlerinden ayırıyor. Roverrandom'u benim için değerli kılan şey eğlenceli hikayesi değil Tolkien'in ha ...more
Krystal
Random is right.

I read this one many years ago, when the throes of my LOTR obsession were still young. I was reading everything by Tolkien I could get my hands on.

This one was a bit disappointing after the scope and characters of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. It was a fun enough story, I enjoyed it and all, but it was completely forgettable.

Not my fave Tolkien by a long shot, but if you're a fan you kinda have to read it anyway, right?
Jason
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Just about anyone
Recommended to Jason by: Nobody
My father remarried a few months ago, and my stepmother still owns her own house. She's been cleaning it out for a while, and getting rid of odds and ends (mostly belonging to her ex-husband). She came across this and my father grabbed it to give to me since he knows I like Tolkien. I'm very glad he did. I had never heard of this book before, and was interested in checking it out.

Evidently Tolkien wrote it for, or maybe just told it to, his second son after said son had lost a toy dog on a beach
X
Sep 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tolkien *can* write a story with a happy ending! It's a very charming tale, closer in style to "The Hobbit" than LOTR, but lighter and full of colloquialisms and word plays (many of which were lost on me!) that are rare in his other books. As he never prepared it to be published, there are a few loose ends and anomolies, but they are easily overlooked.
S.M. Carrière
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my goodness this was an adorable read!

It is a book for very young children, so don't expect anything heavy and involved - I finished the book in two hours (an hour a sitting).

That said, one of the things I really, really, really love about Tolkien is that he doesn't pander to his audience. There are words and puns, usages and phrases that one would think that you would have to be older to understand and appreciate. Tolkien, however, does not ever so insult his audience. His complicated words
Bekah
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How could I NOT give this five stars? It was just too funny and adorable. Is it the best thing ever written? Certainly not. It's not even the best thing Tolkien ever wrote. But it is a really quirky story about magic and mischief and a lost dog. It doesn't hurt that the story was written as a way to cheer up Tolkien's son Michael when he lost a toy dog on a trip to the seaside. Just a short children's fantasy book, that would no doubt be a classic if it were not so overlooked and forgotten.
E.F.B.
This was just so cute, sweet, and adorable! Very simple seeing how it was written for children, but I love a simple, enjoyable read now and then that I don't have to think too hard about, and this fit the bill perfectly. I recommend it to anyone who thinks a story about a dog who gets turned into a toy after biting a wizard's pants, and then goes on adventures everywhere from the moon to the ocean, sounds fun.
Silvana
My first Tolkien after a decade, maybe. Nice, fluffy and heartwarming story. Since he wrote this before The Hobbit, there were many proto-LOTR characters in it. I had fun trying to draw parallels.
Rana Heshmati
از لحاظهایی شبیه به "خوشبختانه شیر" نیل گیمن بود. که درواقع پدری، برای اتفاقی که واسه بچههاش افتاده، بیاد و داستانهای جذاب و افسانهای تعریف کنه.
خیلی لذت بردم از خوندنش.
Tempo de Ler
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Embora mais curto e simples que os trabalhos que já tive oportunidade de ler de J. R. R. Tolkien, Roverandom é de uma criatividade igualmente genial.

Do infeliz encontro de um cão chamado Rover com um feiticeiro não muito simpático resulta que, por não usar as simples palavras "por favor", Rover acaba transformado num pequeníssimo cão de brincar. Assim, acabamos por partir com Rover numa maravilhosa aventura desde a superfície da Lua até às profundezas do mar!

Embora o fantástico não seja o meu g
Amy | shoutame
My overall thoughts:

1. This book follows the tale of a dog named Rover who incurs the wrath of a wizard and gets shrunk down to a tiny size. We follow him on his mission to find the wizard so he can be returned to his original size. Whilst on this quest he ventures to the moon and down to the depths of the ocean, all the while making friends and discovering things he didn't know about himself.

2. I love J.R.R. Tolkien and think this is one of the quaintest little reads I have read in a long time!
Daria
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: posiadane
Takie bajki mogę czytać swoim dzieciom.
Eda
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Çok hoş bir masal kitabı bitirdim az önce. Tolkien en sevdiğim yazarlardan biridir ve onun kaleminden böyle tatlı bir hikaye okumak çok güzeldi.

Aslında bahsedilecek çok bir şey yok kitap hakkında ama kısaca konusuna değineyim. Rover adlı bir köpek var. Bir gün bir büyücünün paçasını ısırınca büyücü onu oyuncağa çeviriyor ve Rover kendini bir maceranın içerisinde buluyor. Tabiri caizse başına gelmeyen kalmıyor. Ve biz bu serüveni okuyoruz.

İleride çocuklarıma uyku masalı yapacağım bir kitap oldu
Brandon Miller
Nov 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Don't you ever let anyone tell you that all lost dog stories are he same.
Ever.

As a fledgling reader, I enjoyed Lassie Come Home (though it took me about a year and a half to finish.) Somehow, somewhere, the lost dog story just appealed to me. I read more Lassie books when I was young than I would care to admit, and a number of other animal stories.
None of them were like this.
None of them involved wizards or trips to the dark side of the moon or the PAM.
None of them were as good as this.

Roverando
Evi *
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
C’è già tutto Tolkien in questa adorabile favola che in veste di padre scrisse per consolare un suo figlioletto che aveva smarrito un giocattolo.
Un Tolkien sereno, che affabula senza porsi il dilemma delle forze del bene e del male in lotta come farà in seguito nel suo meraviglioso capolavoro, seguiamo deliziati le avventure di un cane reale che per incantesimo viene miniaturizzato e dotato di piccole alucce, lo osserviamo con lo sguardo in su mentre vola sulla Luna nascosto tra le penne di un g
LaCitty
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La verità è che avrei voluto un papà come Tolkien, uno di quei papà che se perdi un giocattolo, inventa una storia bellissima per consolarti, pena di magia e mondi incantati.
Rover non è altro che un cucciolo sventato che decide di dare un morso alla persona sbagliata, un mago che lo trasforma in un giocattolo. Da questa premessa iniziano le sue avventure: da giocattolo a cane alato fino al ritorno alla normalità, ma solo dopo incredibile avventure.
Avrei voluto un papà come Tolkien... Vabbè, mi a
Allison Tebo
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, buy
RTC
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
As a huge fan of Tolkien and all his works, I'm surprised that I've only decided to read Roverandom now. The book is beautiful - if you're a fan of 'The Girl who Circumnavigated Fairlyand in a Ship of her Own Making' or even Alice in Wonderland, I'd recommend this book. It's unlike Tolkien's Middle-earth, to which everyone is acquainted.

Aimed at children, but definitely worth reading at any age, Roverandom is the tale of a little dog, Rover, who gets turned into a toy after meddling in the affa
Jenny
Sep 26, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute book but not my favorite of Tolkien's. I couldn't help but compare to it other books that a famous author father wrote for his children about mystical lands and containing elegant wordplay: Haroun and the Sea of Stories and Luka and the Fire of Life by Salman Rushdie, which are much more entertaining and skillful. However, I'm a Tolkien fan, and I enjoyed this book. It's not up to the level of The Hobbit for me, which I've read about seven times--I would never reread Roverandom--b ...more
Chris
So what to say about this?

First, honestly, if you are going to have notes in the back of the book, could you please (with a cherry on top) let the reader know when there is a note? Just saying.

This is not as good as LOTR or the Hobbit,yet a reader can see the beginnings of both in this story. It is hard not to see figure of Gandalf and even Biblo in this short story about a dog. It isn't, I think, as child friendly to outloud reading as the Hobbit. It lacks that later book's charm.
Shadowdenizen
3.5 stars, rounded down. Cute and readable, but a mere trifle in Tolkien's pantheon. I know it was intended as a child's fairy tale, but it nonetheless just feels lacking to me, given that it was written by an master of fantasy fiction.
SMLauri
Es increíble la imaginación que tenía Tolkien.
Escribir un cuento así partiendo de un hecho tan "normal" es de admirar.

Las descripciones que hace de los lugares que visita Rover te hacen viajar directamente a la Tierra Media, con sus magos, sus dragones...

Simplemente genial.
Kimberley doruyter
cute sweet story to read to your kids before bedtime.
Sofi
Had to read this for a presentation, which I'm doing this week. As much as it shames me to admit, this was my very first J.R.R.Tolkien book. Obviously I know The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings movies, I'm in love with them, and I will hopefully read the books soon. I am thinking about writing an essay on The Hobbit.

Roverandom is a quick entertaining read, it is not, however, very memorable. I think the story behind this book is way more interesting, if I'm allowed so to say. This book is actually
Hannah
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really sweet little book that Tolkien wrote for his son about a puppy who bit the wrong wizard's trousers and became a toy by way of enchantment. He makes friends and travels to fascinating places before finding the wizard again and asking to be changed back to how he was before. This is a great book for children and adults alike!
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Roverandom [Jul 25, 2018] 26 53 Jul 31, 2018 06:39PM
TwitBookClub: May 2016 - 'Roverandom' by JRR Tolkien 1 2 Apr 03, 2016 09:30AM
J.R.R. Tolkien: Roverandom 4 81 Dec 28, 2015 08:56PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Roverandom by J.R.R. Tolkien 2 13 Feb 13, 2015 10:20AM
Silver Stag Book ...: Roverandom by J.R.R. Tolkien 1 5 Jan 27, 2014 07:38PM
J.R.R. Tolkien: Group Read for April-July 2013: Roverandom 6 38 Apr 26, 2013 01:37AM
  • Beowulf: A Translation and Commentary, together with Sellic Spell
  • A Tolkien Treasury
  • Interrupted Music: The Making of Tolkien's Mythology
  • The History of the Hobbit, Part Two: Return to Bag-End
  • Tolkien: A Biography
  • The Map of Tolkien's Middle-Earth
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-Earth
  • The Atlas of Middle-Earth
  • J.R.R. Tolkien: Architect of Middle Earth
  • J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist and Illustrator
  • Tales Before Tolkien: The Roots of Modern Fantasy
  • Journeys of Frodo: An Atlas of J.R.R.Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings"
  • Kestrel's Midnight Song
  • The Inklings: C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, Charles Williams, and Their Friends
  • Tolkien: Man and Myth, a Literary Life
  • The Golden Key
  • Exploring J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English lang
“Rover did not know in the least where the moon's path led to, and at present he was much too frightened and excited to ask, and anyway he was beginning to get used to extraordinary things happening to him.” 20 likes
“I did nothing but run away from the time I was a puppy, and I kept on running and roving until one fine morning - a very fine morning, with the sun in my eyes - I fell over the world's edge chasing a butterfly.” 12 likes