Start by marking “A Rift in Time (Livingstone Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Rift in Time (Livingstone Chronicles, #1)

A Rift in Time (Livingstone Chronicles #1)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  416 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
On sale at sc price! "A Rift in Time" is an archeological thriller from best-selling fiction author Michael Phillips. Adam Livingstone, a British archeologist, makes a major discovery that sets off ripples in the scientific community around the world. As people debate whether the discovery is indeed Noah's Ark, Adam Livingstone is led to a particularly compelling theory re ...more
Published October 31st 1997 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about A Rift in Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Rift in Time

Jerry
Dec 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a bang-up blast that gives Left Behind a run for its money. Full of action, suspense, admirable heroes, despicable villains, and Biblical allusions, A Rift in Time is a wonderful novel. I didn't agree with the theology behind the story, but it was a crackling good adventure yarn nonetheless.
Rebecca Wilson
Nov 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Without question, one of the best books I have ever read!!!!! Thrilling storyline, unexpected twists & turns, and an earnest search for truth, make this book a must read!!!
Lynette
I believe that the intention of this book was to drive me insane... fascinating material - topics and way out there premises that were so great - but the author just can't get out of his own way!! The plot nearly collapses under the byzantine writing style - I'm all for being mysterious and not revealing your characters all at once - but when you have 15 or 16 unnamed characters and the action moves around from group to group, it's ridiculously confusing to try to figure out WHICH unnamed charac ...more
Donna Bayse
Jan 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: life-changing
Tremendous amount of detail capturing theory and thought on the location of the Garden of Eden. Amazing information on vegetation and the zest of life that throbs deep in aa plant, in the roots, and even dormant seeds.

Catured in a complex plot with multiple characters -- requires apt attention to stay with some of the detail. I have reread the book several times and always find it amazing and engaging.
Teri
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adam Livingstone, world renowned archeologist, takes on the adventure of discovering Noah's Ark and the Garden of Eden. It's a race against other fame seekers, as well as those who don't want Biblical truths revealed. Mystery, intrigue, science, spirituality, light and darkness. It's all in this story. I enjoyed it very much.
sharon Cate
Jun 27, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
Ehh...Just a so-so read.
Jen  (Today in Jen's Library)
I read this book quite awhile ago. I was intrigued by the title, and I wasn't disappointed.

The best thing about this book for me was simply the plot. The continual unraveling of the author's speculation on the origins of man were so fascinating that it kept my interest until the very end. There was a lot of actual history in it. The connection to reality was the anchor that kept me guessing.

It's a great mystery, a grand adventure, and has characters with depth. I'm not sure you can ask more fr
Jul 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommended to Laura by: SVW
I'm impressed that Michael Phillips imagined-up this plot line. I would never in a million years (or 6000 years depending on your point of view) been able to dream this up. Good reminder for me to use my own imagination since I primarily default to a 'what you see is what you get' mode of operation.

- Solid read, plot kept me engaged (in large part because I remained curious as to what Phillips would unfold next).
- Slightly cheesy in parts.
- I haven't digested all the theology to offer an opini
Shauna
Jan 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians
Recommended to Shauna by: I like the author
I liked the book very much. It was a little too...how shall I say this? Right-wing fundamentalist Christian political in some places... But, I loved it none the less. It did remind me that there is good and evil in this world and I want to be on the good side. It is a Christian book by a Christian author and includes archeology, mystery, adventure, and love. Awwww.

I'm going to read the sequel.
Danielle
Jan 07, 2012 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
stopped on page 289. In my last status update I said I would consider giving this a second shot some other day, but for now I just can't do it. I was going to try and finish it today and have it be my last book for 2012, but no such luck. Oh well
Rick Bavera
Jun 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Have read other Michael Phillips, so thought this might be worth the effort.

It is a long book, and was a bit tough at times....sometimes the "preachiness" got in the way of the story.

But it was a good read, dealing with history, archaeology, Noah's ark, Eden, geology, and God.

Trine
Thought-provoking thriller on the quest for the original Garden of Eden that may appeal to readers who don't like the novels of Steve Berry or James Rollins as this book also focuses on a religious theme, but viewed primarily from a strictly Biblical point of view.
Donna
Jan 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book. This was a great biblical archeological book, that weaved history, archeology and the bible all together. There was mystery, suspense and a little romance. A little bit of everything.
Dena
I love books by Michael R. Phillips. This one was little different because the story took place within the last 20 years. I thought I wouldn't like it but I ended up loving it.
Linda Legeza
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book about 30 years ago and still think of it often
Rachel Wheat
Too repetitive in some areas. Too many uses of the word "rejoined/rejoinder" Ok story line.
Katy
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story takes a long time to unfold, but the author keeps the reader interested the whole time.
Jennifer Green brommet
One of my most favorite books
Cynthia Eason
Pretty interesting theory and a good read, but not terribly challenging. Predictable.
Brandy
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my all time favorite books and one of the few o have read more than once.
Crystal
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written story with an interesting take on biblical history in a fictional setting. Fast paced action with an "Indiana Jones" type feel. I enjoyed reading this book.
Susan Farrell
Dec 30, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Had a hard time getting into this book.
Caleb
Jul 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was difficult to adapt to the author's style, but a fascinating plot and thought provoking biblical interpretation make this a good read.
Deelighted
While I enjoyed the plot and premise, I found the novel to be repetitious in spots and often over wordy.
Sheila
Mar 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good and engrossing Christian fiction, though long. Look forward to the next book in this series.
Ruth
Aug 06, 2012
Staci
Mar 27, 2012
  • Dread Champion
  • Flight of Shadows (Caitlyn Brown, #2)
  • The Marquis' Secret
  • Uplink from the Underground: Showtime for Vicki (Left Behind: The Kids, #24)
  • Singularity (The Jevin Banks Experience, #2)
  • Last Resort (Hideaway #3)
  • The Watchers
  • Heirs of the Motherland (The Russians, #4)
  • A Daughter of Zion (Zion Chronicles #2)
  • The On-Purpose Person: Making Your Life Make Sense
Librarian Note: there is more than one author with this name in the Goodreads database.

Michael Phillips has been writing in the Christian marketplace for 30 years. All told, he has written, co-written, and edited some 110 books. Phillips and his wife live in the U.S., and make their second home in Scotland.
More about Michael R. Phillips...

Livingstone Chronicles (2 books)
  • Hidden in Time (Livingstone Chronicles, #2)