Start by marking “Do You Promise Not To Tell? (KEY News #2)” as Want to Read:
Do You Promise Not To Tell? (KEY News #2)

Do You Promise Not To Tell? (KEY News #2)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  770 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
TV producer Farrell Slater just stumbled on a story that might save her career...or get her killed. A prestigious New York auction house just sold a Fabergé Egg for six million dollars. But Farrell knows it is a fake. So does a college student who promised never to tell the location of the real one. And so does a cunning murderer who has already dismembered one victim...se
Published April 5th 2005 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published August 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Do You Promise Not To Tell?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do You Promise Not To Tell?

Jerry B
Jul 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Mary Jane's Second Outing -- Much Better !!

In her first novel, Mary Jane Clark gave us a fine plot with plenty of suspense til right near the end, some characters to like (albeit the leading lady was a bit "squeaky clean"), and a different venue from most mysteries -- the busy newsroom of a major broadcast studio. Our gripe was that there was too much clutter, from almost unnecessary sub-plots to discussions about diseases and so on, that distracted from our story. Yet, we wanted to move to thi
Marca
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book title is a misnomer. Everyone in this story promised not to tell, but they told...everyone! TV producer Farrell Slater stumbles onto a hot tip related to a story she worked about the record sale of a Faberge egg. The original story was tabled by the director, but Farrell follows the tip that the egg may be a fake and soon finds herself in deep kimchi. All the characters made one idiot move after another, starting with not keeping secrets, thereby jeopardizing themselves and others. Real ...more
Debbie J
Jul 14, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
This was my second attempt to listen to the Do You Promise Not to Tell audiobook and I just can't do it. The story meanders all over the place and the endless chapters with only two or three paragraphs are ridiculous. I tried to give this writer another chance but I guess I'm just not into her.
Debbie
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mary Jane Clark writes a twisted tale. I don't know how I ever missed this author until now, but I'm sure glad I found her. This book was very hard to put down. If you are looking for a good fast read, look no further.
Julie
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes promising not to tell is not a good thing. I believe this is the first of Mary Jane Clark's Key News books. Her heroine is a reporter/producer for a popular news television show. The subject of this book is Faberge jewelry and, of course, the eggs. I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Stayed up late last night to finish it.

Brenda
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was totally engaged in following the clues to figure out the murderer. Several in the cast of characters and all were well fleshed out and multi-dimensional.
Sandi
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great 2nd novel - does not disappoint!
Kim
Sep 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good and fast paced. This is the second book but they are stand alone stories so far, with the mention a a few overlapping characters in a very minor role. Both books kept me guessing as to "who done it." At first I was disappointed the series was not going to be an ongoing story about Eliza Blake doing her job as a news anchor. But, now I think this is a better approach. You get to see more of what goes on in the news studio, and it might get unbelievable for Eliza's life never to go back to he ...more
Linda Rawlins
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I started reading one of Mary Jane Clark's earlier books and couldn't put it down. Do You Promise Not To Tell is an easy fast paced mystery about Farrell Slater, A TV news producer, who at the crossroads of her career happens upon a story about a NY auction house and fraudulent Faberge eggs. As Farrell and her coworkers are pulled deeper into the mystery, bodies begin to pile up. Farrell does not realize that she may be the next target as she tries to balance her career, life and what may the bi ...more
Kathy Sandlin
Jan 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
I've read most of the Mary Jane Clark. Kind of found her by accident since she was right with the Mary Higgins and Carol Higgins in the bookstore. Good reads....probably better than the Carol Higgins but not as good as the Mary Higgins books. They are nice fast reads. I'll just add a few to the list
Kami Sexton
Oct 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I didn't realize that this book had anything to do with Russian history or the Romanov's, which is mildly surprizing for me. For some reason I had never considered Faberge to be part of the history of the Romanov family....temporary blonde moment I guess.
This book read a lot like a Mary Higgins Clark, but somehow different, and I love both authors. Can't wait to check out some more Mary Jane.
Sherry
Mar 08, 2011 rated it liked it
I think this book is better than a 3 star but not quite a 4 star. Good mystery that revolves around 2 Faberge eggs, one real, one fake and the people who will do almost anything to get ahold of the real one. Fast moving. Lots of twists. A fun read even though there is violence in it.
Pat
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Do I tell my secret and uncover a 6 million dollar scam, or do I keep it to myself.
Death, deceit and destruction following after the discovery of a fake artifact, now who could be behind all this?
Read and see another on of Clark's great books.
Jo
Jul 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
While I may not run screaming from another book by Clark, I'm not going to go hunting them all down, either. I guess mysteries aren't really my thing. Though I've got to like a romantic relationship that doesn't start off in the bedroom. Or at least doesn't tell me about it. Approve.
Sherree
Jul 19, 2016 rated it liked it
It was fine, easy to read, not terribly exciting. Can't decide if I want to continue this series. This second book resembled the first book pretty closely. Big secret, drama at the station, a couple of dead bodies, a little bit of romance.
Denise
Nov 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting story about a news reporter with a little Russian background thrown in. I took a course in Russian history so it was very interesting to read a little bit about it. The plot was good and I didn't figure out who the mastermind was before the end.
Toni N
Mar 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! I couldn't figure it out. I thought I knew...then I reconsidered...then I thought I knew again. Lol. Anyway, it turns out my first thought was correct. But, I'm glad that the storyline was good enough to keep me guessing and second guessing myself.
Brenda
May 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because I have enjoyed this author in the past. This book moved very quickly. I enjoyed that the story was built around a lost Russian, Faberge' egg. This was a nice change of pace from the reading I had been doing. I will seek out this author again in the future.
Sandra
May 07, 2012 rated it liked it
A good mystery with a surprise ending. Always the best kind.
Jaclyn Koffler
3 is a generous rating. This was not a book for me.
Mareah Vega
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
It wasn't my favorite! I did like the storyline, it made me want to learn more about Russian history!
Mary Reed
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great story. Kept me on the edge of my seat. I kept guessing who the killer was and couldn't figure it out until almost the end of the book. Looking forward to reading the next book in this series.
Lyn
Jan 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Good book, but a touch too graphic in some violent descriptions.
A master story teller like her mother.
Jenn
Oct 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
A good read (though there were a crazy amount of characters to keep up with) that kept me guessing all the way through.
Robert Kradoska
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
About Faberge egg that was lost for years
Janet
Sep 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
very good, love this author
Donna Barrett
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great storyline. full of intriguing action. I'm a great fan.
Staci McLaughlin
Feb 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. With the short chapters and different viewpoints, it moved along at a fast pace. I liked the characters and the faberge egg plot line.
Sheila
Mar 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Good story about art forgeries.
Auristella Zarate
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
A quick and face paced book that I was glued to and could hardly put down. It really kept me guessing. Loved it!
  • Burned (Regan Reilly Mystery, #8)
  • Plumbing For Willy (Select Sound Buys)
  • A Higher Justice (The Trials of Kit Shannon #5)
  • Yankee Bride/Rebel Bride (Brides of Montclair, #5)
  • First Lady Down
  • Gideon's Torch
Mary Jane Clark is the author of thirteen novels, including 12 in the KEY News media thriller series, and one in her new Wedding Cake mystery series. A veteran writer and producer for CBS News, Clark worked for almost three decades at the network’s New York City headquarters. Her books are published in twenty-three languages. She lives in New Jersey and Florida.

Clark's former mother-in-law and sis
More about Mary Jane Clark...

KEY News (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Do You Want To Know A Secret? (KEY News #1)
  • Let Me Whisper In Your Ear (KEY News #3)
  • Close to You (KEY News #4)
  • Nobody Knows (KEY News #5)
  • Nowhere to Run (KEY News #6)
  • Hide Yourself Away (KEY News, #7)
  • Dancing in the Dark (KEY News #8)
  • Lights Out Tonight (KEY News, #9)
  • When Day Breaks (KEY News, #10; Sunrise Suspense Society #1)
  • It Only Takes a Moment (KEY News, #11; Sunrise Suspense Society #2)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Lost and Found (Rock Harbor Search and Rescue #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Light Before Day
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hold Still (Jocelyn Rush, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Still Waters (Sandhamn, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Into the Light (The Light, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Burning Man (Gideon and Sirius, #1)
  • Disturbed
  • Cold Black Earth
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Drowned Girls (Angie Pallorino, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Guardians of the Night (Gideon and Sirius, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Man With the Golden Gun (James Bond, #13)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Belief (Emily Castles Mysteries)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
  • The Memory Child
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Finding Emma (Finding Emma Series Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lucky Ones
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Gold (Night Soldiers, #5)
  • A Small Indiscretion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Octopussy and the Living Daylights (James Bond, #14)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Bones (Red Princess, #3)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Flee (Codename: Chandler #1)
  • The Snow Garden
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney #5)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • While the Savage Sleeps
  • The Technologists
  • A Density of Souls
  • Plea of Insanity
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Away from the Dark (The Light, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Missing, Presumed (DS Manon, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Use
  • The Husband
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Emma's Secret
  • She's Not There
  • Heart Collector
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Room with a Clue (Pennyfoot Hotel #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $2.00