Jump to ratings and reviews

The Edge Series #2

The Edge of Power

The heinous gang-rape of Nirbhaya has jolted the Indian nation out of its apathy. But rape and violence against women are only symptomatic of a deeper malaise that ails the nation: the total collapse of governance under the weak and vacillating PM, Devender Singh. Ironically, aiding the PM and his Indian Democratic Party (IDP)s cling to power is a casual and largely indifferent Opposition led by the venal Ravi Nehra. A ray of hope finally emerges when ex-journalist and RTI activist Daivik Verma and the gorgeous Catherine Khan, a leading Bollywood film-star with a mysterious lineage, decide to challenge the existing system by floating a new political party. But lack of funds and cadre support thwarts their efforts, their only recourse being Shruti Ranjan, who had sworn off politics three years ago. Will Nirbhayas gruesome rape and her subsequent death bring a disillusioned Shruti Ranjan back into the political fray, dominated by crime lords and bankrolled by industrial barons? Will the trio manage to stage a coup and dethrone Indias worst regime? Will the land of great leaders like Chandragupta Maurya, Ashoka and Akbar, finally get a dynamic Prime Minister she so badly needs? A racy political thriller, The Edge of Power is a powerful inquiry into the underbelly of Indian politics. It raises important questions over the funding of Indian political parties, while presenting Shruti Ranjan, the immensely popular protagonist of The Edge of Desire, in a refreshingly new, resurgent avatar

312 pages, Paperback

First published December 1, 2013

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Tuhin A. Sinha

14 books61 followers
Tuhin was born and brought up in Jamshedpur, Jharkhand. He completed his schooling at Loyola School, and obtained a B.Com (H) from the Hindu College, University of Delhi and Post Graduate Diploma in Advertising and Communications Management from the National Institute of Advertising, New Delhi. He is married to Ramyani DasGupta Sinha.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
3 (3%)
1 star
1 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 22 of 22 reviews
Profile Image for Aparajitabasu.
666 reviews76 followers
May 10, 2015
Original Link to the review at my blog Le' Grande Codex - here

Politics is as much a profession as it is a game. Not for the faint-hearted this game of chess can be. And author Tuhin A. Sinha portrayed that perfectly in his book 'The Edge of Power', which features prominent character Shruti Ranjan, previously seen in Sinha's previous work 'The Edge of Desire'.

Taking cues from one of the most heinous crimes of modern Indian history, the Nirbhaya Case. Sinha spins an aftermath of sorts that feels more real than fictious. From the shady opposition leader, to the ministers as corrupt as they come, clinging to the chair with all their might. To the decisively naive and energetic ex-journalist RTI activist and gorgeous Bollywood actress (with her own share of secrets) who decide to create a party of their own in the wake of the government's inability to take the needed approach.

Keeping an energetic candidate from entering politics due to lame reasons of the party not having the funds to support him. To the opposition only raising issue in Parliamentary meetings that do not hurt their side in anyway. To the entry and return of veteran and honest politician (rather one of the few) Shruti Ranjan, whose experiences and support gave Daivik's party the much needed boost.

The author goes a long way in highlighting the issues faced by the government and how they developed the grass roots. A bad tree can only be removed by pulling out its roots before it begins to infect the others. That is what the Indian Government sorely needs and something that Sinha portrays in his work of fiction. Of course, it drags a lot in places but that I suppose can be forgiven given the fact that the author succeeds in putting his ideas across .....

"Politically charged with a strong sense of reality"
Profile Image for Ammu Nair.
431 reviews9 followers
January 24, 2014

charecter: shruti ranjan,daivik verma, catherine,ravi nehra, rhea
desc:
The story is distributed in two parts wher the first part revolves around nirbhaya rape incident n how daivik n catherine (first is there introduction and how they enter into politics) and den the relation ship between ravi n and rhea are discussed and will daivik and catherine able to make shruti enter into plotics and the second part only revolves around politics and lil about nirbhaya which was very well written.the books is overall a nice warming read.the best part of the book i felt was the second part and the end was too good
the downpart of the book is it drags in the middle and the author has provided elaborate background details for charecters who were lesser importance in the book which had a lil drag. the start and the end was good.But what i missedd was the rawness i loved in Edge of desire wasnt there in edge of power.
But overall the book is worth read...
Profile Image for Bookish Indulgenges with b00k r3vi3ws.
1,608 reviews238 followers
June 11, 2017
When I started reading this book, I was unaware of the fact that this is the second book in the series; Edge of Desire being the first. There are instances with characters, who have been part of the first book, where it is assumed that we know certain things about them. However, I had no trouble reading this as a standalone.

The Edge of Power centers around Devender Singh, Ravi Nehra, Shruti Ranjan, Daivik Verma and the gorgeous Catherine Khan. Devender Singh is the current Prime Minister with Ravi Nehra as his opposition leader. Catherine Khan, a Bollywood actress, along with Daivik Verma floats a new political party. Taking cues from our modern society, the story revolves around the politics of different people in positions of power. How the opposition chooses to raise the only issues that bring them profit; how a new party has to struggle due to the lack of funding; and how a few people in power can manipulate the system.

I absolutely loved the character of Shruti Ranjan. While the other characters were well developed, her character simply shines through the book. I loved her tenacity and her pragmatic approach. Daivik was the other character that I really liked. Honesty is probably what ties Shruti and Daivik in a common thread, but it is their different approaches that brings the colour of individuality. Drawing inspiration from the Nirbhaya case, this book also deals with the grass root reality of our country. Certain parts of the book were not easy to read as it reflected the stark truth of our reality.

The book was deeply engrossing.
Profile Image for Kulpreet Yadav.
Author 15 books236 followers
February 13, 2014
With strong characters, driven by conflicts that have a semblance to reality, and a plot in which mystery and intrigue are enmeshed delightfully throughout the narrative, The Edge of Power is a compelling and enjoyable read. There is never a dull moment in the book, proof enough as I finished it in less than 2 days.

Ravi Nehra, a mean, savage beast, who plays the antagonist, has risen to power and is the leader of the opposition in the parliament. Married to Rhea, daughter of a once powerful politician, who almost became the PM but died in an air crash, Ravi is a poisonous snake ready to strike India in its jugular vein. His alliance with the corrupt yogi gurus and liquor barons, addiction to cocaine, and the weak government at the center people want to do away with, is a recipe for success. But Daivik Verma, a former cartoonist and Catherine Khan, an Anglo Indian Bollywood actress, think otherwise. They approach Shruti Ranjan, a former politician retired from public life after a humiliating defeat in the previous elections. But can these nationalists overturn the evil deigns of the party in power and an opposition who seems to have colluded with them, is where the real challenge lies. Will stop here to avoid turning the review into a spoiler.

To sum up, this is a book with an Indian feel. It is intense, it relates to us, and it had very strong characters that will stay with the readers for a really long time. Strongly recommended.

1 review
January 2, 2014

Riposte of Feminine Power - Plethora of Emotions

The EDGE OF POWER, much awaited sequel of The EDGE OF DESIRE by TUHIN is a take on the current scenario of the Indian Politics in a chronicle approach. The book has amazing chutzpah/ impudence and catches on with the reader very fast. The mentor-protégée, relationship continues in this book between SHRUTI RANJAN and DAIVIK, Shruti getting into the mentor role with seamless ease.
Tuhin has thoroughly researched the politics and interweaved the story. He is very skillful in plotting the amalgam of emotional turmoil, that women go through. He beautifully dealt with the feminine power and emotions through Shruti, Rhea and Catherine. However, in my personal opinion , the character of Catherine Khan, could have been handled little differently. With some positiveness and optimism, and seen though the dawn of the successful mission than the twilight.

The author manages to keep you glued till the last page, with some melodramatic moments and Bollywood panache. Overall it is quite neatly woven and engrossing read that will keep you hooked throughout. So go ahead and enjoy your time with it :-)

Tuhin, you have definitely raised the bar for the fellow authors :-)
Keep Up the Great work !
Profile Image for Sundeep Supertramp.
336 reviews54 followers
February 25, 2014

The original review of this book is posted on my blog...

To read the original review of this book, click here...

Foreword:

I didn't read many books from this author. I read his other book, perhaps the prequel of the book in discussion, The Edge of Desire and right away noticed something ablaze in him.

By the very choice of the plot for his stories, we can tell that he is not just any other author, struggling to write a college romance. There is always a message, a sensitivity, a potpourri of emotions in his books.

Like I have said, even this book had got some very sensitive topics, like Delhi Rape incident, Indian politics, etc. If you ask me, they are pretty tricky topics.

Even if I try, I wouldn't be able to write a story based on Indian politics. It is a deep mess I can't get myself sorted off, once if I try and get in.

If I don't stop here, I would keep on ranting about the various off-topics. So I would end the foreword and move on to write the review of the book.......
April 19, 2014
What an amazing book it was...More power in the book than that was in the first book "The Edge of Desire"! And Tuhin I didn't feel that you're experimenting with your readers rather you know what your readers want! Coming to the content of "The Edge of Power" it was a big shocker when the context of Catherine murder comes up. Didn't expect that to happen and all the characters are just great. Out of all the characters in the novel, my favourite character is Shruti Ranjan !

My favourite lines from the book are "At times you've just got to break out of the system and do what you feel provides instant justice. I know what I did was wrong but somehow I don't regret it. Sadly, most Indians are too intellectually challenged to understand any other language but this. I guess I had to employ a language the masses understood." by Shruti Ranjan

Expecting many more novels from you Tuhin in the future and looking forward to read them.
Profile Image for Shreya Malhotra.
1 review3 followers
December 27, 2013
I have been a big fan of Shruti Ranjan ever since I read The Edge of Desire, so reading The Edge of Power was more a question of when than if! Happened to finally get my hands on a copy and read it over the weekend. Must say, when the cover says, ‘pacy writing;’ you’ve got to take it really seriously! I hardly stopped reading it till I got to the end. And while I would have loved Shruti Ranjan to be her impulsive, righteous self; her new avatar as a seasoned, shrewd politician doesn’t disappoint. I could really connect with the book because it tackles most of the pertinent questions that I ask with respect to the current political situation in India. It’s awesome how Tuhin Sinha makes no attempts to conceal any resemblances between his characters and real leaders. Some guts!
23 reviews6 followers
December 27, 2013
I picked up this book expecting a lot from it. But honestly I was disappointed. It is written well, no doubt, but there is nothing in it that one does not know. The book runs like a movie script and even its biggest revelation is something that we would not really be surprised with, if we follow Indian politics closely. But I do appreciate that The Edge of Power tackles some important issues like the corruption among parties, undisclosed deals that must be going on for real too, women not being taken seriously, and most importantly a possibility that we, as a nation, are totally capable of electing a wrong leader and making a conscientious leader feel betrayed.
Profile Image for Meghant Parmar.
Author 3 books52 followers
January 24, 2014
You can hate the characters in the book, you can hate our politics, you can hate the system but you can't just hate the book and the story.

It's dark and goes darker but as pangs of light hit the right spot it's a presentation of good vs evil. It's a fight for justice by some people. It's about common man vs the political honchos.

It's a picture perfect story. Nothing out of place. A though provoking storyline and a mind bending representation of real life incidents. It's a book for every kind of reader.

There are no ifs and buts in this. It has to be read and enjoyed from all the angles. The book is worth all the time and money.

A perfect read.
December 27, 2013
The Edge of Power has perfect timing. Cant be a better time to read a novel about politics and political situation. Its written very well and has moments of surprise. I can call The edge of power an inspiration to Indians and mainly the women. Shruti Ranjan is powerful and motivating and Daivik is a hopeful promise of the future.
Profile Image for Vinay Leo.
958 reviews71 followers
August 3, 2016
Review at A Bookworm’s Musing: http://wp.me/p2J8yh-2Bf

This is again a book that I feel would not interest those who aren’t that interested in politics. It is a book that is very much based on the world around us, and it becomes so realistic that I wonder at times if it is fictional or not. That being said, the narration skills of the author is something that I quite enjoyed.
Profile Image for Kamlesh Gandhi.
153 reviews6 followers
July 28, 2015
Powerful punches you hard in the face
So very true, well almost to the machinations of Indian Politics and characters almost real life
Sinha surpassing all expectations yet his plot is so down to earth, and reflects reality and leaves you staggering
A must read for all literate Indians
Profile Image for Vipin Nair.
1 review1 follower
Top 5 Reasons to read this book
Realistic
Relatable Characters
Inspiring
Superb story
Quite bold
Profile Image for Manish Singh.
22 reviews
January 2, 2017
Reminded me of a Prakash Jha or a Madhur Bhandarkar movie. This was more like a movie script.
Profile Image for Manoj Sharma.
64 reviews
October 7, 2017
Wasn’t knowing its sequel to #EdgeofDesire but one of the best n dhakad story on politics @tuhins is #Rambo of political plot... a great movie material n m seeing @nawazuddin as #RaviNehra. Character back ground explanation is so good that u get into the character n start relating to it. The way he introduced #Catherene by stating history of #subhashchandrabise it is just mind boggling.. if u like political background story, u shouldn’t miss it..
Author 3 books3 followers
July 4, 2017
Loved how the book gave me insights to what happens inside indian politics.
Displaying 1 - 22 of 22 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.