Start by marking “Purely Professional” as Want to Read:
Purely Professional

Purely Professional

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  210 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Columnist Bridget Hartwell agrees to write about BDSM to impress her new executive editor at Sultry, the "sex-positive magazine for sex-positive women." Unfortunately, it's a topic she knows absolutely nothing about…but if she ever wants that promotion, she'll need to learn the ropes, fast.

Published January 13th 2014 by Carina Press (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Purely Professional, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Purely Professional

Spanglemaker9
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well.

Full disclaimer: I very rarely read erotica and almost never this kind of erotica. Idk.. I just got that out of my system when I was reading fic and the published erotica I've read since then just... blergh. The writing about the sex is usually too squicky and unappealing to me, and so much of what's meant to be sexy dialogue always sounds kind of ridiculous and decidedly unsexy. And frankly, the whole 50 Shades debacle really turned me off the whole genre. I thought I'd never be able to r
Maria Rose
I liked the concept of this story, with journalist Bridget entering a BDSM relationship with her neighbour Max in order to write a column about it. (I picked this one up because of its RITA nomination for best erotic romance this year). I thought the story went along quite smoothly as things got more and more intense between the couple, and Bridget started to realize that her feelings for Max were getting deeper than she intended. But the ending for me was rushed and tried to cram a whole bunch ...more
Jacqueline's Reads
Feb 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star-books, bdsm
4 Stars

Purely Professional is a quick, easy erotic BDSM read with lots of steamy scenes

What a steamy read! Bridget doesn’t know anything about the submissive lifestyle, but her boss wants Bridget to write edgier articles. Bridget lies and tells her boss that she is in a BDSM kind of relationship. Now, Bridget needs to find a Dom, so she can experience some BDSM play and write about her experience. Max, her neighbour is the perfect person to teach Bridget.

Purely Professional is a really short re
Tabatha
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This story was engaging, well written, and very steamy making it an absolute pleasure to read and a great debut from this author. Bridget and Max are neighbors, and they have been flirting shamelessly since Max moved in next door. When Bridget has to do research for her job into the BDSM culture, she finds a reluctant Max to help introduce her while pushing them both past their boundaries into something more than either of them expected. I thought that the two characters had great chemistry toge ...more
Lorena
I enjoyed this book, it was well written, and without the usual tropes that are found in abundance in this genre.
There was one thing that really bothered, and it was that Max got mad at Bridget for using her safeword, and wanted to punish her for it. That was not okay, and is not how a Dom should react. My enjoyment of the book suffered for the rest of the story because of it. Hence 3 stars.
Jenn
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Hot. Nothing felt forced about this at all.

I'd be surprised if anyone into erotica or who's a submissive doesn't have a reaction to this.

Lucky Bridget!!
Eileen
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book because I know the Author personally. That being said, it would have been worth the read even if I hadn't, but it was a great intro to her work! It isn't your traditional book in the sense that the timeframe and scope of the storyline is a lot more confined than that of other novels. That in itself however, does wonders to enhance the theme of stepping outside the box and trying something new.
If you like flirty romance books, this is just as good a read as those who read it for
Kate Crowe
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Melissa Alexander
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: BDSM fans, erotica fans, 18+
I see some reviews that are negative regarding the way Max talked to Bridget and it lacking romance... If you are familiar with BDSM, you know that for some women it is a turn on to be called a slut or whore. It's even stated in the book the Bridget is! This book is in no way lacking romance! The romance is laced with other sexual experiences. There is a picnic, shopping trip, etc that I found romantic. The book is about them trying to keep the relationship professional so they were trying to de ...more
Gigi staub
Jan 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-netgalley

English professor Max Harlow is active in the Dom/sub scene, but only for casual play. He's never found his ideal partner: a woman who is his equal, but sexually submissive. When he's asked to explain the life
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bdsm, arc, erotica
Bridget Hartwell is a writer for the sex positive magazine Sultry where she’s been since her internship in grad school. Although she writes about sex, she hasn’t actual had it in over a year. She is trying to work with her new, demanding editor who wants her to push the envelope. In a meeting she finds herself in a quandary when assigned to do an anonymous blog for the new off-shoot, Sultry Submissions after she misrepresents her personal sex life and knowledge of BDSM.

Max Harlow is known to Bri
Crystal
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, erotic, kink
I've been reading a lot of romance on my kindle lately, most of it erotic, lots of it BDSM. Most of the books were so lackluster that if i finished, I could barely remember the story, or even why I enjoyed the genre. Then I decided to try Purely Professional. I am so glad I did. I found the characters likable and interesting (despite the heroine constantly licking her lips and the hero constantly running his hands through his hair. I guess all authors have a phrase they overuse.) . I had just be ...more
Denise
Jan 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: chic-lit, erotica
Hey, BDSM authors - you're doing it wrong.

Hey, Elia WInters - you nailed it...

Finally.

It took me suffering through a huge number of mediocre books in this genre - but I have found a BDSM book that I can recommend to all as a "Starter book" if you want to dip your toe in to these waters.

This is NOT a fifty ways of fucked up book. It is not a PTSD leads to BDSM book. It is a: Hello, we're pretty much well adjusted adults here and enjoy to play a little in our sexual adventures. We're not beating
Lady Raven RAVE!

Length: 3013 kindle
Style: Erotica / BDSM
Story: GOOD
Intimacy: GOOD
Enjoyment: FAIRLY GOOD
Series: n/a

3.5 ***stars

This story was a nice read. I commend the author on being so detailed in her story and giving the reader something from start to finish and not rushed to get to the sex scenes.

The story started in a way that peeks your interest in both Max and Bridget. They had this flirtation that drew you in and made you eager to see where things will lead. With Max, in the beginning, his kind of flir
Karen Voitik
Jan 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
>Book Review - Purely Professional -

> I received this book from the author and Paranormal Romance and Authors that Rock. I am an independent reviewer. This is a standalone book and the author's debut novel.

>Max and Bridget are neighbors. Bridget, a writer trying to move up at her magazine, finds herself agreeing to write a blog about being in a BDSM relationship. Trouble is she isn't in any relationship and knows nothing about BDSM. Her friend introduces to someone in BDSM, her neighbo
Rachel Webb
Dec 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I'm jumping on the BDSM bandwagon just to prove that there are way better stories out there than the 50 Shades crap and this is one of those. While this is shorter and not a trilogy, the author manages to convey more in these pages then James does in 3 books.

Max and Bridget are great together and while I would have enjoyed this even more with a dual point of view, just from Max's facial expressions, it was obvious what he was feeling towards Bridget. I liked sweet Max more than dominant Max, bu
Mandy
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.5 out of 5
We get a lot of review requests and some of them make me groan because they are just not our cup of tea. (This is why we have a review policy, but not everyone reads it before contacting us.) And then sometimes, we get a request that just grabs me. Elia Winters provided us with a copy of Purely Professional in exchange for a Raw Review and I devoured it! It’s not a long read, which is my one complaint. I could have read more and more of Max and Bridget. They are both mature character
Nicole
**I received this ARC from NetGalley for an honest review**

Bridget is a journalist for Sultry magazine and writes about sex even though she hasn't had any for a year. Bridget gets a new boss and is told to spice things up, so she decides to do an article on BDSM. When she meets up with the guy she's interviewing for her article she is surprised to see that he is her neighbor Max. After the article become a hit Bridget convinces Max to teach her about BDSM for her blog.

The book started off really
Jenn Cunha
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-netgalley
Paula Harp
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
First I received this book as an arc for a honest review. I really enjoyed this book and learning all about the BDSM lifestyle with Bridget. She is given the topic to write about by her new boss so she has to learn all about it and fast. She finds out Max, the hot professor next door, is into the lifestyle so she asks to interview him. Her first article is a hit so the boss now wants 2 blog posts a week from her. She makes a deal with Max for him to teach her the lifestyle as a "strictly profess ...more
Janet
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
What a delightful change from the typical Erotica offerings out there. Elia Winters has written a really great novella. She has managed to balance character development, story, and sex without slighting any one area. The heroine is a professional, confident, grown woman. The hero is so very likeable - a man that won't settle for a doormat. The sex scenes actually serve the purpose of moving the story along and are passionate without being salacious. The premise was intriguing and the story did n ...more
Jen
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 4-5-star, bdsm, owned, reviewed
Short, erotic and a perfect afternoon read. I loved the flirting between Bridget and Max before they start on their "professional" relationship. Their chemistry gets even better once they enter into a D/s relationship. The story is very sensual with light BDSM elements as Bridget is being introduced into the lifestyle. I hope we get to read more about this couple and how their relationship progresses.

Complimentary copy provided in exchange for an honest review.
The BookChick
The story was fine. Overall I liked the character dynamics and how they came into their relationship. What I did not enjoy was Max's use of "slut" and "whore." I don't overly enjoy stories where characters over inflammatory terms. I probably would have rated the story higher without them. But, the story is steamy and erotic and those looking for a quick sexy read would probably find this enjoyable (if you aren't set off why the aforementioned words).
Jenna Howard
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So I decided to read all the erotic romance books nominated in RWA's Ritas for 2015.

And thank god for that decision! I can see what the authors were nominated. I loved all the books. ALL of them.

Holy HOTSA MOTSA!!! Max. Whoa mama...Max. There was a lot of cute to this book, which surprised me because when I saw the cover I thought "This could get dark". Bridget discovering herself was just a whole lotta sexy but Max. The sexy dom professor? I could go back to school for that!
Beanimous
Jul 21, 2016 rated it did not like it
DNF Chapter 15.

I do not like this book. Although the story sound interesting, but the actual book itself isn't that engaging.

I found the hero and heroine annoying and unlikable. I do not find their 'relationship' genuine, I found the book drags a bit in its pacing, I skip and skim from chapter 2 and finally give up at Chapter 15. I know there is only two more chapters to go till the book is finished, but I cant bring myself to do that. Sorry I just can't.
Kazen
Mar 23, 2014 rated it liked it
The writing is decent but the story is same ol', same ol' - woman tries out being a submissive for one reason or another (here, writing a blog) and ends up falling in love. There's a ton of explanation that would make it a decent first BDSM book, but those already reading the genre may find it a bit tired. Winters' next book will be steampunk erotica... her writing is solid enough that I may just make the leap.
JoMarie DeGioia
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was smoking hot but the author also managed to engage both the heroine and the hero's emotions. It was solely in the heroine's point of view, but that didn't take anything away from this story. Yes, a touch more romance would have made me give this book big love but I really enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone looking for a scorching hot, satisfying read.
☆°•..  Jillie Anne ..•°☆
Quick read, I was trying to figure out why it was put on the RITA Finalist list. The beginning of the book was a little silly for me. However the body of the book read well. The book needed some work on the ending, it sort of just stopped. I don't read erotica often so don't count on this review to buying this book. I promised to read through the entire RITA list from 2015 this year.
Katherine
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
A really well done story of a new female sub and experienced male Dom. The sex scenes are beyond hot, building up the kink as the story evolves. There was emotional growth for both characters as well, making this more than a BDSM story. I believe this is Ms. Winters' debut. I will have to see what else she has coming out.

Bought from Carina.
Julie Reitzas
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Well written and fun to read. Exploring more should be a healthy part of everyone's lifestyle. Learn your limits and have a good time. This book is sure to provide ideas to expand your repertoire ;) It flowed nicely and kept me interested over a long weekend! The BDSM scenes were hot and sexy...something to think about;)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Purely Vibrant 1 1 Dec 09, 2017 03:07AM
Purely Vibrant 1 1 Nov 28, 2017 11:29PM
  • The Dom Project (LA Doms, #1)
  • Together in Cyn (Members Only, #1)
  • Driftwood Deeds (Breaking in Waves, #1)
  • Claimed in Canada
  • Craving Flight
  • The Sinners Club (The Sinners Club, #1)
  • Sapphire (Facets of Passion #1)
  • Teaching Maya
  • Named and Shamed (Pony Tales, #4)
  • How to Tell a Lie (Truth and Lies, #1)
  • Five Weeks in December (Twisted & Tied, #1)
  • The Job
  • The Pet Shop (The Pet Shop, #1 - 3)
  • Pink Buttercream Frosting
  • Bought (The Auction, #2)
  • At Her Feet
  • Enslaved (Enslaved Trilogy, #1)
  • Power Trip (Double Helix, #1)
Elia Winters has always been a New England girl, despite having spent much of her childhood in Florida. She holds a degree in English Literature and teaches at a small rural high school where she runs too many extracurricular activities. She balances her love of the outdoors with a bottomless well of geekiness.

Elia dabbles in many genres, but erotic romance has been one of her favorites since she