Start by marking “The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

The Jewel

(The Lone City #1)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  33,452 ratings  ·  4,191 reviews
"Today is my last day as Violet Lasting. Tomorrow I become Lot 197."

The Jewel is a shocking and compelling new YA series from debut author, Amy Ewing.

Sold for six million diamantes, Violet is now Surrogate of the House of the Lake in the centre of the Lone City, the Jewel. Her sole purpose is to produce a healthy heir for the Duchess – a woman Violet fears and despises.

Vi
Published September 2nd 2014 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Jewel, please sign up.
Anne It has a similar feel and the authors have similar writing styles, but the plots are not the same. The Jewel is a little darker but if you like and…moreIt has a similar feel and the authors have similar writing styles, but the plots are not the same. The Jewel is a little darker but if you like and want a book similar to The Selection, this is a safe choice.(less)

·  33,452 ratings  ·  4,191 reviews

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
DNF at 95%, because I just don't give a fuck.
My frail resolve wavers. I think about what sort of person I want to be. I owe Lucien my life, and I will be loyal to him until the end. But Ash has nothing to do with that. Ash is separate, a part of my life that is just mine. There are things that are bigger than us, it’s true. Saving the surrogates. Destroying the royalty. Is loving Ash worth the risk?
You get one fucking guess. What do you think she chooses?

This book is called The Jewel. It is a
Faye, la Patata
A place where noble women cannot reproduce.

A place where these women buy beautiful, talented, peasant girls from the Auction.

A place where these teenage girls are bought to become surrogates.

A place where these  surrogates have unfathomable powers that change shapes, colors, and sizes.

...

Is it me or are dystopian novels getting weirder and weirder every year? Either the world's running out of ideas and isgrasping at straws, or the world's trends have moved on ahead of me, 'cause I do not get it
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always

Another example of wasted potential, The Jewel could have been the next big thing for many other readers--if not for that shitty, awful romance. That's pretty bad, considering I almost NEVER say something is awful--I call a lot of things shitty, but awful? That is a hundred times worse than shitty in the Language of Aimee.

Oh, and noticed how I said "many other readers"? Yes, because even without said shitty, awful romance, this book is just not for me. It was a bit similar to The Hunger Games (
Fenia
OH MY GOSH. BRILLIANT BOOK!! I adore it!! ♥ It truly surprised me. I bought it because well.. because it was cheap,the reviews i read were bad,but i thought 'oh well,lets give it a try'. and OMG THIS BOOKS IS SOOOOO GOODDDDD!!!!! I JUST...UGH I'M SPEECHLESS!!!

Its not like Selection. (not that i didn't like Selection.BUT) This books is deep and it touches some really serious issues like slavery. Violet is a strong character and i love her for it. Ash is..hot and dreamy and kind and broken. All th
Lindsay Cummings
My first thought about THE JEWEL was that the gorgeous silver cover was strangely similar to the covers for THE SELECTION series. I wasn't sure, after reading the synopsis, if this book would also have a similar plot. I was totally wrong.

In one word, THE JEWEL is FANTASTIC. When I began reading, I was pleasantly surprised by the writing style and the very xmen like twist that this "ball gown" story took on. THE JEWEL is brilliant and unique, and so creepy in the way the society is run, that I fo
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
9/30/17 - ON SALE for $1.99:

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Violet Lasting is a Surrogate. She lives in a world where blue bloods can no longer produce viable offspring. BUT. Before they begin to die out, a doctor discovers a genetic quirk that (fortuitously) exists most frequently in the lowest caste of their society . . . a quirk that allows the girls who have it to carry a royal child to term . . .

And so it is mandatory--on pain of death--for every girl to be tested f
Sana
DNF @ pg 65
Will come back to this sometime in the future. On hold for now.

BR with my friend IRL. I really want this to be good.
Ben Alderson
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book! I loved the idea of it and can not wait for the next one!
Valeria Andrea
When I saw this I couldn't help but think The Selection.
But with a better cover.
& a better blurb.
&, I hope, a better everything else.

Damn, oh, well. My curiosity has brought the better out of me yet again.

“Sometimes, I wish I hadn’t been born a surrogate.”

This was an enjoyable dystopian, with girls with special powers being sold as surrogates.

I felt quite sorry for Violet in this story, her whole life had been changed by one blood test, and she was forced to carry someone else’s baby after being sold at an auction. I did think that she made some very dubious decisions at ti
Anne

I was sort of bored throughout the book. I'm thinking the subject matter just didn't interest me, so you might have a different experience with this one than I did.
Fabulous cover, though!

The Royalty that live in the Jewel can't have babies anymore.
Poor people, yes. Rich people, no.
But the nobility have found that some of the poor girls have these abilities that can allow them to manipulate a fetus in their wombs. Make it a viable pregnancy. Even make the child better looking, smarter,
Sara Raasch
Feb 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BRACE FOR FEELS.

This book is the kind of stressful/addictive/engaging story that is almost dangerous in its demand to be read. It will keep you up well past your bedtime with all the INTENSITY and PAIN and TENSION and just when you think you're nearing the end and maybe your heart will get a break...

NOPE.

That ending. THAT ENDING.

OH IT HURTS.
Steph Sinclair
I think on some level I should probably have disliked this book, but I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. It's a light read and I sped through pretty fast and none of the characters irritated me too much. This might have something to do with the fact that books that explore a Reproductive Dystopian world fasciate me. I didn't really love the romance because it is on the "quick" side of things, but somehow that did not seem to bother me much. The plot seemed to more than make up for that, and The ...more
AH
ARGHH!

It is not often that I give 1 star to a book. I usually try to find the good in each book that I read. Even books that I have not finished do not get a star rating, that's just how I review. But - this book drove me bonkers and I must highlight the things that drove me crazy.

1)This is a dystopian book along the lines of The Selection (which I haven't had the pleasure of reading, but the synopsis sounds right) and The Handmaid's Tale (of which there is absolutely no comparison).

2)Young wo
Moonlight Reader
Aug 26, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Hello. If you've found this review, perhaps you are wondering why I appear so irked by this book. Giving it one star, and all.

Well, it's because MARGARET ATWOOD already wrote this book. Also, the girl on the cover, yeah, she is way too well-dressed to be a slave.

Some books do not need a dumbed-down romance version with a bunch of silly tropes. The Handmaid's Tale is one of those books*. It is a serious treatment of a serious subject. Why is there a need to publish a glossy new version with girls
Sara
Violet is a surrogate, born with unique gifts to shape the world around her, yet bought and sold to the highest bidder in a world where royalty rules all. This had a lot of flaws, and unfortunately it really hindered my enjoyment of what could have been a good story.

The main issue I had was just how unoriginal I found the story. Reading this felt like deja vu. Poor yet beautiful girl with unique gifts brought into a different world? Check. Evil ruling power that manipulates said girl? Check. Du
Kiki
Goddamn. That was a clusterfuck if ever I saw one. Review to come.
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

Mini review:

After the early reviews started rolling in for this one I was getting less and less excited about reading this one. I mean, JUST LOOK AT THE COVER! HOW COULD I NOT WANT TO LOVE THIS?! Anyway, I had this period of time where I just decided that I was going to skip this completely, BUT THEN I saw three people give this 3-4 stars and they're all people whose reviews I completely trust... and well I gave in to the cover and read it. Well, I didn't rea
Kassidy
I was really captivated by the characters, the world, and the plot. However, the insta-love just did not work for me!
Ashley
Feb 17, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physical-arc, arc, bea14
Nose Graze — Book reviews & blogging tips

The Jewel was an awesome book! ...until the romance. But more on that later. ;)

I really loved the plot in The Jewel. I think it's definitely similar in vibe to The Selection (which it's being compared to). However, my feelings about it are the total opposite. In The Selection, I adored the romance but didn't care much about the rest of the plot. In The Jewel, I adore the plot but hate the romance. The Jewel has a lot of political/royal scandal.. and
Sue (Hollywood News Source)

I picked up The Jewels salivating, thinking this book could be a better and finer version of The Selection. Both books offer the same “prose” in some way. Trust me with this, we do not need another disastrous The Selection Trilogy, one is enough.

There were so many bad things about this book I don't even know where to start.

The writing is sloppy. In other circumstance I don't mind when authors don't use huge words as long as the characters and plot is compelling enough but this book isn't givi
Aly (In Wonderland)
There are perks to being a surrogate. We get to dress how we want, eat what we want, sleep late on the weekends. We get an education. A good education. We get free food and water, we always have electricity, and we never have to work. We never have to know poverty -- and the caretakers tell us we'll have more once we start living in the Jewel.
Except freedom. They never seem to mention that.

For a long while, this was two stars for me. It was good, but not exceptional. It was an innovative idea,
☙ percy ❧
So, I wasn't originally going to write a review for this, since I guess I'm not really a review-writing sort of person. But then I saw the overwhelmingly bad reviews, and I felt sorry for this book - which I thought was actually rather good - getting so much negative attention.

First of all, I didn't have tremendously high hopes upon starting this book. I expected it to be mediocre at best, and awfully problematic and rage-inducing at worst. To my surprise, it was actually far better than I was e
Joshee Kun (조수아)
This is how the Jewel operates. Status is our sole occupation. Gossip is our currency. —The Duchess of the Lake

Honestly, The Jewel caught my attention because its cover reminded me of The Selection, which is one of my favorite series of all time (laughs wickedly). However, my superficial and biased attraction soon became authentic interest after reading the first chapter.

I've always been invested in dystopian and gender-related discourse, so I was inevitably intrigued by the premise of this book
Grüffeline
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Violet, they do not tell you anything at Southgate. They do not even allow you to look at yourself in the mirror. The less you know, the less identity you have, the easier you are to control."

Initially, I picked up this book because I liked The Selection and I was not disappointed. I've been thinking about rereading this series for quite some time now and the second time around didn't diappoint either.
The writing is really good, the story gripping and the world Amy Ewing built here, is pur
Maddie
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the perfect dystopian style book for me. I love The Selection by Keira Cass and Wither by Lauren DeStefano, and The Jewel fits perfectly into that category of girl-in-pretty-dresses-doing-badass-things. I thought the Lone City itself was well explained and easy to imagine, and the magic system was simple to grasp. The concept of surrogates made a lot of sense, but the actual 'how?' behind the procedure is what's tripping me up.

I was also warned about the insta-love in this book, and ye
Nenia ⭐ Literary Garbage Can ⭐ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Don't be fooled by the pretty cover sparklies; THE JEWEL is actually pretty messed-up. Violet lives in a dystopian city that's organized like the nine circles of hell, with the Marsh, or the slums, on the outer rings; and then Farm, the agricultural; Smoke, the industrial; Bank, the financial; and in the very heart of the city is Jewel, where are the filthy rich members of royalty reside.

Violet was born in the Marsh but has been raised in r
Danielle (Love at First Page)
Edit: Screw it. I'm bumping the rating up after thinking about the book all day!

3.5-4 stars

Hey, now, this is an enjoyable book *and* romance! (I see you judging me. Haters to the left.) I will gladly say that The Jewel is very, very readable and addicting. From start to finish, I was glued to the pages. Maybe it's not wholly unique (a few too many things reminded me of The Hunger Games), yet the premise is interesting and has potential. The idea of girls being raised as surrogates for the highe
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
SO GOOD. SO SO GOOD. This book had SO MUCH POTENTIAL to be a 5 star book but it just missed the mark because of the instalove. If that hadn't happened, it would have been a 6 star book for me. But still. SO GOOD.
lolo'
Apr 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hooray for cliffhanger endings....

I feel very 50/50 towards this book. I love Violet, Raven, Annabelle, Ash, and Garnet.

But other than that I pretty much despise the whole surrogacy thing and the power moves. And all that is done to the girls disgusts me.

I did enjoy the dialogue. Certain parts were perfectly swell.

It's just hard to look over what makes this book a dystopian.

I love the writing though.

And those last 70 pages were amazing and the reason why I gave it 3 stars.

• Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • By Dark Deeds (Blade and Rose, #2)
  • Landry Park (Landry Park, #1)
  • Lord of the Storm (Coalition Rebellion, #1)
  • Soulbound (Dark Arts, #3)
  • Salvage (Salvage #1)
  • The Lumatere Chronicles (Lumatere Chronicles, #1-3)
  • Stray (Four Sisters, #1)
  • The Aftermath (Aftermath #1)
  • The Taking (The Taking, #1)
  • Burn Out (Burn Out, #1)
  • The Autumn Fairy (The Autumn Fairy, #1)
  • The Bodies We Wear
  • Extraction (Extraction, #1)
  • The Invisible (Brokenhearted, #2)
  • Blackbird (Blackbird, #1)
  • Scan (Scan, #1)
  • Elusion (Elusion, #1)
Amy Ewing is the young adult author of The Jewel, the first in a trilogy from HarperTeen, coming out September 2014.

She grew up in a small town outside Boston, where her librarian mother instilled a deep love of reading at a young age. Amy moved to New York City in 2000 to study theater at New York University. Unfortunately, her acting career didn’t quite pan out. She worked in restaurants, as an

The Lone City (3 books)
  • The White Rose (The Lone City, #2)
  • The Black Key (The Lone City, #3)
“Hope is a precious thing, isn’t it,” she says. “And yet, we don’t really appreciate it until it’s gone.” 140 likes
“This is how The Jewel operates. Status is our sole occupation. Gossip is our currency.” 69 likes