Start by marking “Downfall (Cal Leandros, #9)” as Want to Read:
Downfall (Cal Leandros, #9)

Downfall

(Cal Leandros #9)

I let it go—all of it. Everything I’d been saving up all my life, building and growing inside me, too much to hold in one half-human body. It pushed and fought to be free with a force that turned me into a bomb with a timer vibrating on zero. I was free.

But so was everything I’d fought so hard not to be…

Brothers Cal and Niko Leandros know trouble when they see it—and then
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published August 5th 2014 by Roc (first published August 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Downfall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Downfall

Elizabeth
I love this series but this one is not my favorite Cal and Niko story. Too much Robin and too many 'clever' fake outs. Too much maudlin reminiscing about reincarnations. Tie in to her other Trickster series just annoying.

The thing about this series that I have always loved is Cal and Niko. That is the relationship I have come back for time and again. That and Cal’s amazing dark snarky humor.

I accepted Robin as their friend but this new turn (introduced in previous book) of reincarnation and Ro
Tom
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
This was by far the worst book in the Cal and Niko series and now I am in search of other series to fill the void.

---SPOILERS---
The reminiscing about past lives that 'suddenly' become active memories was way too much. I am on board with the brothers who support each other in their own quirks, but by adding in the past lives part it completely ruins the entire Robin story. Now he has to be part of their lives and they have to like him, why can't they just have an anti-hero who we always sort of
Courtney
Aug 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Everyone
(Originally a 4 star review) This is the only series I enjoy. The Leandros novels, to me, are the greatest novels ever written. Who else writes about brothers against a supernatural world, without pulling their hair and teeth out over a female love interest? Sure, we have the Supernatural novels, but the Leandros Bros are in a class all their own. They're each other's soulmate (not in a romantic sense of course), and together they make the impossible.

My only complaint about Downfall? Robin. Whil
Michaela Macleod
Aug 19, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm so torn on how to review this one. First let me say that the series is awesome, overall. It is by far one of the best fantasy series I've ever read, and I have read a LOT. Downfall does a lot of good things, it ties up some plot threads from previous books, we get POV from Robin, we get some backstory. Unfortunately it feels like the writing lags, especially compared to the first several books in the series. No matter who's POV we're getting, they are always pausing mid-fight/crisis to rumin ...more
Damian
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Downfall has outdone itself in terms of writing. Rob Thurman has got to have multiple personalities, because she can write some of the most bizarre personalities so perfectly you would think that she hires multiple other people write characters for her. Now in Downfall, we get Robin's first person thoughts and personality, and it didn't feel inconsistent in any way. Downfall's story was also spectacular, giving small hints throughout the entirety of the book, yet only telling you what the ending ...more
Lauren Stoolfire
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this this series! Nine books in and I think this one might be my favorite of all of them. I wasn't quite sure what to make of the reincarnation thing until now. Downfall totally sold me on it. It became one of my favorite aspects of the story actually, on top of everything else that's going on with Cal, Niko, Goodfellow, and company. I loved getting alternating chapters from Cal and Goodfellow's perspective - that's what made me get on the bandwagon. I also liked seeing consequ ...more
Devann
"I’ve told you before you could speak, Cal, I will always be with you and I’ll never give up on you. If that means dragging you back from the brink, then I will. If it means going with you over that brink, that I will do as well. Whether I’m afraid that most of you might already be gone doesn’t matter. I’ll be on your heels bringing what’s left of you with me."

And honestly that would have been a much better ending to this series anyway. I mean, I know not everyone is like me and most people prob
D.B. Reynolds
Aug 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best Urban Fantasy series around, and Rob Thurman finds a way to keep it fresh even though this is the 9th book, and you'd think all of the secrets were revealed, all of the obstacles overcome. But in this one, we get a unique view on the life and times of Cal and Niko Leandros courtesy of Robin Goodfellow, the puck who it turns out has been in their lives for longer than even they realized. Another great chapter in a story that I can't get enough of.
Tori
Originally posted at Smexy Books. http://smexybooks.com/2014/08/review-...

Favorite Quote: “Please. The devil wished he had half my style and a fourth of my schemes.”

Cal and Nikos Leandros are back and this time they face their greatest enemy…themselves. Cal’s monstrous heritage is slowly gaining a foothold, trying to obliterate Cal’s humanity. On top of that, Cal is being pursued by a murderous doppelganger, a psychotic ex, and a band of covert warriors who feel it’s time for Cal to be put to re
Vick
Sep 04, 2014 rated it did not like it
I could trudge through the overwritten story, it was annoying but I could deal with reading a conversation over multiple pages, sprinkled through random thoughts and memories of whomever's POV I was reading. I am almost used to authors padding the shit out of their books nowadays.
I could deal with the rehashing and repetition that has become pretty consistent since Blackout. You could make a drinking game probably. Just pick: Cal being obnoxious or emo, Robin being a perv or claiming to be the
J'aime
Aug 25, 2015 rated it liked it
After finishing this book, I was really undecided about how to rate it. I don't think Downfall was even close to the quality of the books that came before and I initially considered giving it two stars. I decided on three stars because I think it corrected course in a major way.

Thurman wrote herself into a corner with that “Auphe genes dominate” thing. Where can you go when your hero is locked into becoming a villain? You either finish a very popular series on a down note, or you find a way out
G.
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have been enjoying the Cal Leandros series for, oh, eight books despite some problematic stuff and the fact that the writing is not my favorite. While there was hinky stuff, the books were fun and I enjoyed a lot of the aspects of world building. I guess the gig is up, what with Downfall being frustrating and dull in turns.

Rob Thurman always had a tendency to make her characters yammer, but she always let them toe the line and kept it frustration free, for the most part. In Downfall there is
Nicole
Feb 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Mary
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
Great deity! I thought the writing would go back to normal after the last book but no. Halfway through and very, very little has happened. Could sum it up so far in a few not-very-interesting sentences and they wouldn't be spoilers. Robin has had a lot of sex. Cal and Niko are devoted to each other throughout many lifetimes. Cal is half Auph.
This can't be the same writer that gave us the first 5 books in the series!
Update: read the first and last two chapters and save yourself from yelling at t
R
The series seems to be losing steam. The introduction that Cal and Niko Leandros have been reincarnated into countless lives seems to be an unneeded complication to the storyline. The number of times Thurman resorted to stories about previous incarnations was a serious drag to the book for me.

Another problem for me was the alternation POV between Cal and Robin. I often found myself annoyed when reaching a Robin chapter. As much as I like Robin as a supporting character, I felt as if his chapter
Jason
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2017
5 Stars

Great redeemer of a ninth novel. All I know is that I adore Rob Thurman and love this series. A true guilty pleasure of mine. This is an amazing tale that centers on the puck and his antics. Awesome!
Kristin
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I looooove this series and Cal and Niko so much but I am so fucking sick of Cal's monster side being thisclose to taking over because I just keep waiting for one of the brothers to die because of it and I'm pretty sure I'll go either catatonic or apeshit if that ever happens. (the 2 likes are for this, not the review!)

REVIEW:

There are spoilers from other books in this review.

Well, here it is, the moment we’ve all been dreading waiting for, Cal’s Auphe side comes out to play with a vengeance. The
Aivel
Dec 20, 2014 rated it did not like it
Μαρία Γεωργοπούλου
I have one word for this book...

You can see the following review also here: http://loveandlivetoread.wordpress.co...

WOW! Just WOW! There is a reason that this is one of my favorite urban fantasy series and this book is definitely the proof. I know that I’m saying that for every book in this series, but I am telling the truth. These books are getting better and better and I don’t know how this is even possible!
This is definitely darker and more difficult to read. But reading it make us understand
Roxane
Aug 12, 2014 rated it liked it
I was pretty disappointed by this book. I really wanted to like it, to finish the series on a good note (because I'm pretty sure this is the last one...?), but that didn't happen.

There was a lot of reminiscing about the past, nostalgia, the usual dose of sarcasm... and some action. And Grimm.

I never thought I would say this, but there wasn't enough female characters in this book.

Where the heck was Promise?! And Delilah? (Well Delilah had one scene, forgive me). Robin, Cal, Niko, and sometimes s
Rae
So I bought the book this morning and finished it this evening. That should tell you something right there.

A lot of the dangling plot threads get tied up in this book. Cal's monster side makes several appearances throughout the book and we finally get a glimpse into Cal's time in Tumnulus. Pretty much all the standing antagonists make at least a short appearance, Delilah, The Vigil, and most notably Grimm, who acts as the main antagonist.

Robin is a POV character which I wasn't to sure about at f
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
I haven't been that impressed with books 8 and 9.. I absolutely loved the first 7. I think the author has run out of material and needs to end the series. It's taking a crappy turn like the Anita Blake series did by Laurell K Hamilton. I was highly dissatisfied by this book .
Jeninne
Aug 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Before I can even get to the actual review, I feel it’s absolutely pertinent to say that this is my favorite book series of all time. No lie. No other adult, new adult, young adult, or any other category series, can even come close to toping this series. This series is like FEMA relief funds. Untouchable. And at one time, a few years ago, I was prepared to launch a kickstarter (lol, did kickstarter even exist back then? I digress.) to fund Rob Thurman books for the rest of my life. One a year fo ...more
Sherry
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is book #9 in Rob Thurman's the Leandros Brothers series. And usually I'm raving about the books but after I finished this one I had to kick back and think about it. This book is different because this one is told from Goodfellow's perspective. Mostly.

If you are a reader of the series then you know who Goodfellow is -- for you newbies, he is a pan. Well, no, that's a lie. He is THE Pan. He is the second Hob, once the firs. He has been around since before there was time. Before there were go
Nicole Gozdek
Nur 3 Sterne für Rob Thurman?? Ich muss gestehen, ich bin ja sonst ein echter Fan, der "Cal und Niko"-Reihe, aber dieses Mal war ich echt enttäuscht. "Downfall" ist bereits der 9. Band der Dark Urban-Fantasy-Reihe und ich hatte den Eindruck, als hätte die Autorin langsam die Lust an den beiden Brüdern verloren. Dafür dreht sich in diesem Buch gefühlt alles um Robin Goodfellow, den unsterblichen, stets lüsternen, gerissenen, aber loyalen Puck, Trickbetrüger und Dieb. Nicht falsch verstehen, ich m ...more
Clover
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I finished this book yesterday, making myself an hour late for a Christmas gathering cuz I was not going to leave them hanging that close to the end. And I'm telling you it was frakkin hard to not jump to the end and peek at the horror once the main premise of what could happen at the end was revealed right at the start. Well, right in the blurb if the truth be truth. But I didn't. I rode the terrible anticipation right to the end, heart pumping all the way through. Which is probably a good thin ...more
pauliree
I feel drained after reading this latest instalment in the Cal Leandros series. Seriously drained. For those of you unfamiliar with this series: first of all, go out and start reading it from the beginning, second of all, this is not a series for the faint hearted. It will wrench your emotions from laughter to tears in the blink of an eye, or the turn of a page in this case.

Our main protagonist Cal Leandros has spent the last 8 books wrestling with his Auphe heritage and in this book he finally
Cathy
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved it. Everything the brothers had always feared was finally happening and I could feel their horror, dread, anxiety, reluctant acceptance. Cal and Niko's journey was pretty much everything I expected it to be. The surprise was Robin. He turned into so much more than I expected him to be over the course of the series, so much more than the fun-loving Puck who cares only for him self. This Puck cares as much for these brothers as they do for each other and he'd do anything to protect them. I ...more
Denise
Dec 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
Monsterhunting brothers Cal and Niko have been through a lot - and trouble just won't leave them alone. Now Cal's got Delilah and her Wolves, the organisation of humans calling itself the Vigil and, most importantly, Grimm, the only other half-Auphe remaining in the world, gunning for him. In addition, Cal's Auphe heritage is taking over more and more and the day when he turns full Auphe can't be far off - if he and Niko even survive that long.

Robin Goodfellow, trickster, self-proclaimed sex god
Arushi
Dec 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
The latest in the Cal Leandros series, Downfall is flat out amazing. Told from the perspective of both Cal and Robin - the book builds upon a previous revelation. One that gave away just how much and why the brothers matter so much to Robin.

The book is about Cal's fall into Auphe madness as he finally faces Grimm and his Bae offspring. It is the only way to survive, out-Auphe the other half-Auphe. But it takes his toll on him - as everything changes, from his eyes to his hair.

The plot is convo
I cannot wait til August 5th 5 25 May 04, 2014 04:45AM

• A Wolf at the Door (Jesse James Dawson, #3)
  • Iron Night (Generation V, #2)
  • Burning Bright (Ivy Granger, #3)
  • The Wooden Man
  • Shapeshifted (Edie Spence, #3)
  • In the House of the Wicked (Remy Chandler, #5)
  • Demon's Vow (The Asylum Tales #3.2)
  • Unquiet Dreams (Connor Grey, #2)
  • Lesser Evils (Infected #6)
  • Black Wings Shorts
  • A Wind in the Night (Noble Dead Saga: Series 3, #3)
  • Killian (Avalon, #1)
  • Master of None (Gavyn Donatti, #1)
  • Casino Infernale (Secret Histories, #7)
Rob Thurman is currently writing three series for Penguin Putnam's imprint ROC FANTASY, as well as a brand-new mainstream series for Simon & Schuster's POCKET BOOKS.
Rob has also written for a Charlaine Harris & Toni L.P. Kelner Anthology, WOLFSBANE AND MISTLETOE. This year, Rob contributed a post-apocalyptic, "grim" faerie tale Western to the anthology, COURTS OF THE FEY.

Rob's work is dark

Cal Leandros (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Nightlife (Cal Leandros #1)
  • Moonshine (Cal Leandros #2)
  • Madhouse (Cal Leandros, #3)
  • Deathwish (Cal Leandros, #4)
  • Roadkill (Cal Leandros, #5)
  • Blackout (Cal Leandros, #6)
  • Doubletake (Cal Leandros, #7)
  • Slashback (Cal Leandros, #8)
  • Nevermore (Cal Leandros, #10)
  • Everwar (Cal Leandros, #11)
“Who do you take me for?” “The devil?” Please. The devil wished he had half my style and a fourth my schemes.” 3 likes