Start by marking “Slasher Girls & Monster Boys” as Want to Read:
Slasher Girls & Monster Boys

Slasher Girls & Monster Boys

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  6,525 ratings  ·  1,553 reviews
For fans of Stephen King, Neil Gaiman, Lois Duncan, and Daphne Du Maurier comes a powerhouse anthology featuring some of the best writers of YA thrillers and horror

A host of the smartest young adult authors come together in this collection of scary stories and psychological thrillers curated by Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea’s April Genevieve Tucholke.

Each story
Published August 18th 2015 by Dial Books

·  6,525 ratings  ·  1,553 reviews

Emily May
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Honestly, this is one of the best YA anthologies I've ever read. Normally I can pick out one or two strong works amid a bunch of mediocre ones but, in this case, there was only one story I didn't enjoy. I think Suma's remained my favourite throughout but I also absolutely loved Marie Lu's creepy closet girl. So many great stories here, all inspired by various movies, books and music.

5 stars
This was a fantastic start to the collection. The author's eerie
karen
why is there no introduction to this collection? am i the only one who appreciates a good intro to set the mood and drum up anticipation for what's to come? the only thing we get here is some flap-copy, which i never read, so when i got to the end of the first story and there were these upside-down bits, i was like whaaaaat? and then i read the flap copy.

which informed me that all the stories in the collection have used one or more books, movies, television, or songs as jumping-off points to ex
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

I'm not going to sit here and give you the low down on every single story in this book. You can read that in all of the other reviews. I am going to talk about or leave the names and authors of some of my favorite ones.

The Bird Of Azalea Street by Nova Ren Suma

I loved this one right off the bat, it's actually the first story. It's about a creepy dude that does evil things to the birds and has a creepy, lustful fascination to the girls in the neighborhood. But. . . sometimes, karma man, karma.

T
Wendy Darling
I love that these are horror stories from some of the best YA writers working today, some of whom don't normally write horror. Each story takes inspiration from films, books, or music, and half the fun is seeing if you can guess the source.

I rated the stories as I went along:

Nova Ren Suma's "The Birds of Azalea Street" 5 stars
Carrie Ryan's "In the Forest Dark and Deep" 3.5 stars
Cat Winters' "Emmeline" 4 stars
Leigh Bardugo's "Verse Chorus Verse" 4 stars
Megan Shepherd's "Hide and Seek" 5 stars
Dani
Melanie
I wanted to get more in the Halloween mood, so I thought this anthology collection would be perfect! I also, low key, wanted to read this because I just finished Crooked Kingdom, and now I have to read every sentence Leigh Bardugo has ever published. Seriously, I'm desperate.

Verse Chorus Verse ended up not being my favorite, but I was still left speechless at how good this anthology collection was! Dare I say, this might be the best anthology I've ever read? It is for sure the best I've ever r
Raeleen Lemay
My actual rating is more like 3.2/5 stars but whatever.

This was fairly enjoyable (and has me wanting to check out more of some of these authors' works), but I was pretty underwhelmed overall.

I only LOVED one of the stories (Jay Kristoff's... I am seriously so excited to read some more of his books), and the rest were decent. I enjoyed most of them, but also couldn't be bothered to finish three of them.

Definitely a good one to read around Halloween time.
Grace (BURTSBOOKS)
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
3.434 stars(I calculated it lol)

Sooooo, this took me 85 years to read and even though all of these stories were considered thrillers, barely any of them were thrilling. Only 1(one) actually scared me.

As far as anthologies go, this was a good one; it featured many well written, entertaining stories by a plethora of outstanding authors. I wouldn’t exactly call many of these stories thrillers or horror as they were advertised, but I enjoyed them about as much as I do any story in short story coll
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Spoiler-free review!

Since this is an anthology, I'll be splitting the review up by story first, and then give my overall thoughts at the end!

THE BIRDS OF AZALEA STREET - Nova Ren Suma ★★★☆☆
A group of teen girls observe mysterious incidents going on at their creepy neighbor's house, and decide to investigate.
The prose was very lovely and gave way to some haunting imagery, but overall the story was pretty boring and unmemorable.

IN THE FOREST DARK AND DEEP - Carrie Ryan ★★★★★
An incredibly twist
Ylenia
Sep 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
*2.75 stars*

HELLO!

Like I did with My True Love Gave to Me last year I will read a bunch of short stories every week until Halloween and I will update my review everytime. Last time I did a similar thing I really enjoyed my time (it also started discussions about the book and your opinions) so let's do this!

Here's the "program":
WEEK 42 (Monday, October 12 – Sunday, October 18, 2015):
* Nova Ren Suma
* Carrie Ryan
* Cat Winters
* Leigh Bardugo
* Megan Shepherd
WEEK 43 (Monday, October 19 – Sun
Chantal  (Every Word A Doorway)
Exact average rating: 3.5 stars

What a fantastic anthology! Loved it. Some of the stories were phenomenal and there was only one I actively disliked. Overall, I'm very impressed with how original and strange some of these stories were. I feel like the authors really dared to do something different here. Although none of these short stories truly scared me, I still found them to be creepy and eerie. If you're in the mood for something fitting for Halloween, definitely pick this one up.

The Birds of
Danielle
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories, to-buy

Updated 10/26/2015

I'm not usually a huge short story fan, but this collection? Oh man, this one was fantastically creepy. Sure, there were certain stories I liked more than others, but I thoroughly enjoyed every story in this collection! Cat Winters and A.G. Howard's were my top two. Just look at this first line from A.G. Howard's: "The first time the wrens sang at night was three years ago, when I used a rusty saw to cut off Pa's left foot." How can one not be hooked in by that line?!

While the
Vanessa J.

3.5 out of 5 stars

This is a great anthology that I recommend for fans of light horror. I came waiting to be severely terrified, but I wasn’t. However, I thought most of these stories were quality writing, and some of them were a bit disturbing. I’m glad I read it and I hope you do too because it’s one of the best collections of short stories I’ve ever read!

Reviews for each story:

The Birds of Azalea Street by Nova Ren Suma: 4 stars

Creepy atmosphere, even creepier writing. Nova Ren Suma’s style
Neil (or bleed)
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
"Not all monsters are filled with darkness."

The Birds of Azalea Street by Nova Ren Suma - 4.5 stars
Wow, what a great start for an anthology. The moment I started this one, I've already got the eerie feeling and the creeps. I've got totally nervous, thanks to the compelling writing-style and vivid description and story-telling of Nova Ren Suma.

In the Forest Dark and Deep by Carrie Ryan - 4 stars
At first, I thought this will be meh but few pages later and after it dawned to me what the fuck is h
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I’m genuinely surprised by how much I loved this collection as a whole. I’ve never been one for short stories and I hadn’t heard the best things about this one to begin with, but I thoroughly enjoyed this! My ratings for each individual story are as follows:

THE BIRDS OF AZALEA STREET - 4 stars
THE DARK, SCARY PARTS AND ALL - 1 star
THE FLICKER, THE FINGERS, THE BEAT, THE SIGH - 1 star
FAT GIRL W
Paige  Bookdragon
EDIT:I have to put the name of the short stories and their respective authors to help my fellow readers know what kind of awesomeness does this book have.

description

The Flicker, The Finger, The Beat, The Sigh by April Genevieve Tucholke

description

Fat Girl With A K
Candace Robinson
My two favorites had to be Scary Parts and All by Danielle Paige and Stitches by A.G. Howard!
Selene
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
3 Stars
Very odd.
Inspired by Alfred Hitchcock's Rear Window and The Birds.

In the Forest Dark and Deep by Carrie Ryan
4 Stars
Such a twisted story.
Inspired by the 1951 animated film and novel Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll.

Emmeline by Cat Winters
Pretty generic and easily predictable.
2 Stars
Inspired by the 1930 film All Quiet in the Western Front, the 1952 short story Kiss Me Again Stranger, and the 1922 film Nosferatu.

Verse Chorus Verse
☆★Tinja★✮ A Court of Pizza and Laziness
I DNFed a few stories since I was too much of a chickenshit. I don't do well with horror, especially alone..

Anyway I wanted to read this mostly just for Leigh Bardugo's story and it ended up be being one of the stories I actually hated the most xD
Ahh the irony. 💜
Heather
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-horror
Really enjoyed this one! I have a full video review where I rate each short story coming next week!
Andrea
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In honor of it being the first week of October (a.k.a. the greatest month of the year)

I decided to finally pick up Slasher Girls and Monster Boys, a collection of short stories dealing with all things scary and creepy.

The Birds of Azalea Street by Nova Ren Suma: 4 stars
"We suspected. We’d told tales. We’d heightened our stories into gross and grandiose lies. And even with all of that, we never really thought we were in danger.”

This was a great way to start to the collection, it was filled wit
Elise (TheBookishActress)
This was absolutely AWESOME. There was one story here that I really didn't enjoy, but every single other one was good. There were a few here that were incredible. I think in general, stories that feel more human are my favorite. I always love stories where the good guys triumph, but are pretty devious in how they actually win. I love stories that are terrifying and desperate but end with hope. I LOVED how many stories here fit that category. I loved how these stories were dark and terrible but d ...more
Kimi
Oct 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
Buddy reading with the lovely Bunny

We'll be reading a bunch of short stories every week until Halloween (starting next monday) :D

The Birds of Azalea street by Nova Ren Suma:. 4 Stars
I was surprised by how good this story was! A fantastic start to the collection. I was so close to being put off by the birds because of Magonia but in the end I really enjoyed this story.

In The Forest Dark and Deep by Carrie Ryan: 5 Stars
*gasps* This one you guys!

Emmeline by Cat Winters: 3 Stars
Creepy historica
Julie Zantopoulos
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it, read-in-2018
Below is a rating and mini review (spoiler free) for each story in this anthology so you get a better idea of my thoughts instead of just a general star rating. Just know that going into this book I was terrified and I'm not sure yet how I'll feel coming out the other side...but here I go.

From what I can tell each of these stories was inspired by other horror stories or movies and I really really love that idea!

1. The Birds of Azalea Street by Nova Ren Suma
4 stars

This is a terrifying story for
Estefani
Sep 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Average Rating 3.5 Stars

The Birds of Azalea Street by Nova Ren Suma – 3 Stars
Three teenage girls playing with things they shouldn’t. Enjoyable, creepy and a bit twisted. The first few pages reminded me of Shia LaBeouf’s movie Disturbia. The writing evoked a slightly eerie style. I liked the ending, interesting how karma works, even if someone intervenes.

In The Forest Dark And Deep by Carrie Ryan – 5 Stars
Another AiW retelling, I seem to have thing for these. This one had graphic gruesome scenes.
Lala BooksandLala
I really enjoyed this anthology - though I wouldn't personally have put it in the horror genre as very few stories were terrifying or truly creepy. Regardless, it impressed me immensely and gave me a bunch of new authors I want to read more from now!

My favourites short stories were by Nova Rensuma, Megan Sheperd, Jay Kristoff and Marie Lu.

Serious props to April Genevieve Tucholke for putting this collection together. The stories all felt placed very specifically, and I appreciated the true mixtu
Slasher Girls & Monster Boys is an anthology of short-stories that fall in the genre of young-adult horror/thriller. Most titles also had some type of paranormal or fantasy element as well. Each story was inspired by some past piece of work and I personally had a bit of fun guessing the inspiration for each as they were told. Some were delightfully clear, granting me a feeling of nostalgia, and some were inspired by works I am unfamiliar with. As with most anthologies, a few stories stood ou ...more
Sara (sarawithoutanH)
This anthology was just okay. I had a fairly pleasant time reading it, but I didn't love any story in particular. It was a good read for the month of October but I don't think I'll ever revisit it.
Giovanna
Aug 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: buddy-read
2.9

Buddy read with Simo, Claudia, Lu, Dreams and Maggi :)

Day one - The birds of Azalea Street by Nova Ren Suma: 3 stars
It was lovely rather than creepy I think. I mean, maybe it's twisted to describe it as lovely, because it's not a sweet short story, but it didn't scare me. I'll settle for disquieting then. I was not impressed by it, but it was well written.

Day two - In the forest dark and deep by Carrie Ryan: 4.5 stars
Not scary, but so so so good! I loved this short story, it was spooky and d
Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic
Slasher Girls & Monster Boys is a collection of YA Horror and Psychological Thriller short stories. This anthology has been on my radar since it was published but I never had a chance to pick it up. The authors whose writing I'm familiar with are Marie Lu and Jonathan Maberry and the rest are new-to-me.

The Birds of Azalea Street by Nova Ren Suma [4 stars]
- I don't know which is scarier: the freaky birds outside your house or the pervert neighbor harassing teenage girls? Maybe both? The story

• Sophie
  • Monstrous Affections: An Anthology of Beastly Tales
  • The Curiosities: A Collection of Stories (The Curiosities, #1)
  • Haunted Nights
  • Rags & Bones: New Twists on Timeless Tales
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Of Dreams and Rust (Of Metal and Wishes, #2)
  • Extremities: Stories of Death, Murder, and Revenge
  • The Awesome
  • The Waking Dark
  • Defy the Dark
  • Blood and Salt (Blood and Salt, #1)
  • Please Remain Calm (This Is Not a Test, #1.5)
  • Sideshow: Ten Original Tales of Freaks, Illusionists and Other Matters Odd and Magical
  • Ghosts: Recent Hauntings
  • Among The Shadows: 13 Stories of Darkness & Light
  • Grim Shadows (Roaring Twenties, #2)
  • Daughters Unto Devils
April Genevieve Tucholke is the author of Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, Between the Spark and the Burn, and Wink Poppy Midnight. She also curated the horror anthology Slasher Girls & Monster Boys. She has received five starred reviews and her novels have been chosen for the Junior Library Guild, Kids' Indie Next picks, and YALSA Teens Top Ten. When she's not writing, April likes wal ...more
“Not all monsters are filled with darkness.” 12 likes
“It took strength to be quiet. It took strength to be kind. It took strength to let other people's cruelty bounce right off of you.” 12 likes