Start by marking “Social Research Methods: Qualitative and Quantitative Approaches” as Want to Read:
Social Research Methods: Qualitative and Quantitative Approaches

Social Research Methods: Qualitative and Quantitative Approaches

Social Research Methods: Qualitative and Quantitative Methods 7e is a highly regarded text that presents a comprehensive and balanced introduction to both qualitative and quantitative approaches to social research with an emphasis on the benefits of combining various approaches.
Hardcover, Seventh Edition, 631 pages
Published November 12th 2010 by Pearson (first published 1991)

Zuleyka Zevallos
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a comprehensive introduction into sociological research methods. It covers basic concepts, different types of data and sampling issues, how to write research proposals, coding and analysis techniques and ethics. I used an earlier edition of this book as an undergraduate and I continue to get out my copy to use now as a professional sociologist. I recommend it as a life-long research investment.
Aslihan
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I use this book for my Research Methods class. It’s very comprehensive book for beginner level social sciences, it provides simple, easy to follow steps and plenty of examples. The book warns researchers of possible shortcomings in research, ethical concerns during research and other points of concern. However, the book is rather descriptive and didactic for advanced level researchers. There is limited insight on disciplinary variation in the use of research methods. Also limited information on ...more
abatage
Feb 14, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Horrible, horrible text. However, the content is all good - it's just everything else that lets it down. Although, it's not hard to get the content right, even when you ignore the fact that all the case studies could have been truncated a little and there were too many pages upon pages of examples whenever a certain theory was up for explanation.

This over-use of examples could be avoided if the language of delivery was a bit clearer and easier to digest. You know when you sit down to read a chap
Desi Oktavia
i need this book. really really need this good book. please be more easy
Eren Buğlalılar
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alanında bir numara. Okunurluğu çok yüksek. Üstelik yazarının sosyalist eğilimleri olduğu belli.
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good overview.
Kiri
Aug 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-science
This was definitely a useful reference for my library science course on research methods. From a broader perspective, the book also opened my mind to entirely new and different ways of doing research that I'd never encountered before, such as case studies and "interpretive" or "constructionist" research. The chapter on survey research was especially useful.
Yiling
Oct 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
The first four chapters were heavy and verbose, no doubt, but things speed up significantly in the subsequent chapters. Not the most concise or efficient textbook but I do appreciate the summary tables and review questions. It's so thorough, if you didn't get anything, it probably isn't Neuman's fault.
Letitia
Apr 18, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks
So effing dry and info-dense. I simply did not absorb the material because there was so much of it, and presented in an extremely academic way. The best thing he does is give examples of the types of research, but those are few.
Masum-ul_haque
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have heard from one of my friends that this book is a unique one to be used by the beginners of research. I am very much interested in doing research. But still I did not do any research by my own. That is why I need this book to read.
Atta
Aug 24, 2013 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This book is awesome.
Aun
Nov 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
knowledge able
Rabia Hussain
just want to read the book
Anita
i as a social science researcher this book is very useful for me to find out the proper methodology for my research.
Samar Almossa
I only read chapter 4 about the meanings of methodology and different research approaches.
Crystal Hutchinson
This book is slow reading; in order to fully grasps the concepts and approaches of social research. I learned a LOT from this book.
Amanda Richards
May 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: school-books
Starts out kind of slow, but is very informative. Definitely good for a reference book.
Yeva
Apr 21, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informative, but not for the faint of heart.
Pedro Rosas
May 22, 2012
Britney
May 15, 2009
Salman Hassan
rated it did not like it
Jan 24, 2017

• Pervasive Information Architecture: Designing Cross-Channel User Experiences
  • Web ReDesign 2.0: Workflow that Works
  • Cataloging and Classification: An Introduction
  • Search Analytics for Your Site: Conversations with Your Customers
  • Handbook of Usability Testing: How to Plan, Design, and Conduct Effective Tests
  • Information Architecture: Blueprints for the Web
  • The One-Page Project Manager: Communicate and Manage Any Project with a Single Sheet of Paper
  • Remote Research: Real Users, Real Time, Real Research
  • Universal Methods of Design: 100 Ways to Research Complex Problems, Develop Innovative Ideas, and Design Effective Solutions
  • Castes of Mind: Colonialism and the Making of Modern India
  • Stars: A Guide to the Constellations, Sun, Moon, Planets, and Other Features of the Heavens
  • The Flawless Consulting Fieldbook and Companion: A Guide to Understanding Your Expertise
  • Arbitrary Justice: The Power of the American Prosecutor
  • Observing the User Experience: A Practitioner's Guide to User Research
  • The Managerial Revolution: What Is Happening in the World
  • Service Design: From Insight to Implementation
  • Search Engine Optimization: An Hour a Day

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »