Start by marking “The Forgetful Bride” as Want to Read:
The Forgetful Bride

The Forgetful Bride

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  665 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews

Caitlin Marshall's trying to go home to Minnesota for Christmas, but at the last minute she gives her airline ticket to a stranded soldier. So Cait spends the holidays with Joe Rockwell, who was a childhood friend – and is still a terrible tease, claiming that Cait's his wife. Oh, sure, they were "married" in a pretend ceremony when she was eight, but now Joe wants to make

Paperback, Harlequin Romance #3166, 186 pages
Published November 1st 1991 by Harlequin (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Forgetful Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Forgetful Bride

Judi Daubitz
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the two main characters!

I loved the two main characters!

I enjoyed this sometimes funny romantic book.I really loved the character Joe, he's wit and personality are great as is Caitlin. I found that once I put it down, I couldn't wait to pick it up again to see what happened next. This was a really good read.
Emily Higgins
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Cait's brother and Joe had been childhood friends. Joe and Cait met again when Joe's construction company was remodeling the offices where Cait worked. Joe had to work really hard to convince Cait that she loved him, not her boss. Short story.
Denise Spicer
Eight-year-old Caitlin and 10-year-old Joe get “married”. Years go by until they meet again but guess what? Cait is in love (unrequited) with another man. This somewhat lengthy, almost tediously wordy, romance plot slogs until the two finally get together again. Might have made an okay short story but it is too “padded” with unnecessary details.
Judine Brey
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I actually enjoyed this companion novella more than Trading Christmas. Joe's traditional views and his sense of humor won me over before Caitlin (the title character - she doesn't remember Joe when she first meets him, even though they were "married" as children). I especially enjoyed how naturally their friendship developed into more.
Marie
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the book! Sweet, romantic and funny!
Kari Anderson
Dec 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book

When Caitlin Marshall was eight years old, one of her brother’s friends, Joe, wanted to kiss her. Well she was a respectable young girl and wouldn’t kiss a boy until she got married. So at age eight and ten, Cait and Joe got married.

Twenty years later, Caitlin is a successful stockbroker. She has all but forgotten about Joe Crocker and has set her sights on her boss. Problem is that he only seems to notice her for her work ethic.

A construction crew is doing some work in Caitlin’s office and the
Pam
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Trading Christmas is a novel by Debbie Macomber. The book also includes a preview of Christmas on Icicle Lane by Sheila Roberts as well as the novel The Forgetful Bride by Debbie Macomber. All three are quite fun to read, especially during the holiday season. They are Debbie Macomber at her best.
Trading Christmas has Emily Springer trading houses with Professor Charles Brewster in Boston. Emily wants to spend Christmas with her daughter Heather; but Heather has decided not to come home in orde
Robin
Jan 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
When Caitlin eight years old, her brother's best friend, Joe, age ten, wants to see what it's like to kiss a girl, but Cait believes girls and boys should not kiss unless they're married. So she insists the boys go through a pretend ceremony first. All for a quick peck on the lips.

Twenty years later, Caitlin is a successful stockbroker, desperately in love with her boss, who pays no attention to her at all and seems to be completely oblivious to her feelings. The office is being remodeled, and
Cindy
May 04, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This holiday short story is about childhood friends Cait and Joe. Cait and Joe make a deal to exchange baseball cards for a wedding & kiss. Years later when they have become adults Joe and Cait meet again when Joe (construction worker) begins work on Cait’s office (stockbroker). Cait is in no mood for Joe’s attention because she is in love with her boss, Paul. The three become in-tangled in a humorous cat and mouse game during the holiday season. Cait is stubborn, self-absorbed, and extremel ...more
Anna Marie
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was in a book I'd thought I wanted to read, "Trading Christmas". I was disappointed in the book, and peevish to find that there was a totally different book taking up half the space, inside the cover.

To my surprise, I liked "The Forgetful Bride" FAR better than the book I'd wanted to read! Oh, yes... it's very cliched, predictable and extremely dated (maybe written in the late seventies, early eighties?)... but the story of Cait and her exasperating childhood frenemy, Joe, was actually a cu
Marlene Waldner
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An utterly delightful read

An engaging, thoroughly pleasurable and romantic book to enjoy. Treat yourself! Debbie Macomber offers another story to charm us all.
Jan Mcleod
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a really cute romantic comedy that made me laugh time and time again. Cait has known Joe since she was 8 and he was 10 when they "got married" so he could kiss her!
twenty years later, Joe owns a construction company that is remodeling Cait's office. He is full of mischief and a big tease and often embarrasses Cait by reminding her, and telling others, that he and Cait are married. He is in love with her and hopes she'll fall on love with him as they spend a great deal of time together.
TL
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a romantic sweet story, Can I have a Joe Rockwell?:) Debbie wrote everyone so wonderfully, everyone was fleshed out and had their own distinct personalities... though a few times I wanted to shake Cait to wake her up in regards to Paul.

I loved how miss macomber showed Csitlin and Joe progressing from friendship to "more", those two will make you smile and laugh quite a few times... I had a suspicion what was going on with Lindy and was eager to see how it all played out.

Caitlin does somethi
Gail
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A heartwarming romance. Cait's brother's best friend when they were growing up was Joe. When Cait was 8 years old Joe wanted to kiss her to see what kissing was about but Cait said they had to be married first. So her brother got the bible and married them. Now years later Joe shows up at Cait's offices to do a remodel. Joe remembers Cait because he has been in love with her but she does not remember him at first. Joe keeps teasing her about being married. Cait and Joe keep spending more time to ...more
Fmorlan
Jan 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cait is a stockbroker but when she was 8 her brother and his friend Joseph wanted to find out what a kiss was about. So they got her to kiss Joseph only after the required marriage ceremony performed by her brother. Years later, at her high powered job, she is head over heels in love with her boss. And due to construction shares his office. There is also a snag, the construction boss is Joseph. She starts spending time with him hoping to make her boss jealous. Her friend Lindy listens to her com ...more
Olivia Teese
Nov 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
What a wonderful, sweet and funny romance! This is the first book I have read by Debbie Macomber; Cait and Joe drove each other crazy and I laughed out loud several times, especially at Joe's antics. How could a man make you want to scream at him in frustration but still want to kiss him at the same time? Ask Cait. What kind of loon would want to hold you to a mock marriage performed almost two decades ago when you were kids? Interrogate Joe! Who loved this story so much they might read it over ...more
Kim
Jun 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK, I suppose I shouldn't give it a 4. The character development was a little weak, the writing not that sophisticated. But, hey, this was a nice, sweet, happy romance; easy, fluffy, and leaving you feeling good, so I want to give it a 4! It was a little silly, and a little outdated (copyright 1991!) but oh, so enjoyable. Romantic, not risqué or raunchy, no bad language! Though set in the 90's it seemed almost like a nice old-fashioned romantic comedy movie plot from the heyday of Hollywood, so ...more
Barbara Tifft
Jan 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
In a way it isn't fair for me to rate romance as it isn't my preferred genre, but as an aspiring writer, I read it because it came with my free copy of Trading Christmas, also be Debbie Macomber.

Like most of the romances I have read, it was predictable. But this one was also fun, and I really liked the main character and her friend. I probably won't remember it in a year, but not every book has to provoke deep thoughts to be enjoyable. It was a nice, safe escape.
Aimee
Dec 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although the back cover is a bit misleading (the character doesn't even get to the airport until nearly the end) I loved the story. The characters were very cute and frustrating :). So I may have been drawn by the "home for minnesota" tag since that is my plan this year it kept me because of the nice, cozy story.
Brittney Musick
This is a book I picked up on a whim after reading the summary. While the story didn't turn out to be quite what I was expecting, it was still a cute, quick read. It had a bit of a holiday theme but nothing too over the top, which suited my mood perfectly. I think this was a good book to introduce me to Debbie Macomber's work, and I look forward to reading more from her in the coming year.
Jaclyn
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this Christmas story. It is about a girl in her twenties that thinks she has everything but the guy. Then a guy she she knows from childhood comes back into her life and turns her life upside down. I really enjoyed and it made me laugh in some parts.
Cindi
Gag me with a spoon! I've NEVER read a book with such a horrible, unlikable, unrealistic and STUPID character! So because I disliked her so, I have to take points off the decent male lead for WANTING her. Gah!
SoAmy
Jan 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Found after many years in a hallway closet.
Shawn Harmon
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy reading her books in between books that I have to really concentrate on.
Sarah Peralta
Nov 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
love love love me some Joe Rockwell.
Quick, breezy romantic comedy. It was fun to curl up with on a chilly weekend afternoon. Loved the hero. The heroine irritated me.
Monica Gearhart
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one I figured out Lindy was in love with Paul. But I actually thought they were already together and just keeping it a secret. But again, 2 books in one and it has been left open.
Suzanne
Aug 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-books-read
What a wonderful romance to get lost in. Debbie Macomber has a certain way with characters that make them believable and adoring.
Jane
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable book that is just to be read, not analyzed. Enjoyed but not "WOW"
Don Nelson
Cait works over Christmas and meet her husband, again
  • Full Court Devotion (Christmas in Snow Valley #3)
  • Noblesse Season1. 3: Union
  • Strictly Confidential Attraction & Taking Care of Business
  • The Spirit of Christmas
  • One Night with a Goddess (Goddess, #2)
  • Betrayed (Clan MacKenzie #3)
  • Come to Me
  • Don't Look
  • Only the Ring Finger Knows: The Ring Will Confess His Love (Only the Ring Finger Knows, #4)
  • This Time Next Year
  • Beloved Stranger  (Gaian Stories #4)
  • Passion and the Prince
  • An Unexpected Kiss (Christmas in Snow Valley #1)
  • Bring It On!, Volume 1
  • Just Desserts (Petit Morts, #14)
  • The Surgeon's Secret Baby (Hopewell General, #2)
  • Sweet Magik (Klaus Brothers, #2)
  • Mission: Irresistible
Debbie Macomber is a #1 New York Times bestselling author and one of today’s most popular writers with more than 200 million copies of her books in print worldwide. In her novels, Macomber brings to life compelling relationships that embrace family and enduring friendships, uplifting her readers with stories of connection and hope. Macomber’s novels have spent over 1,000 weeks on the New York Time ...more
More about Debbie Macomber...