Start by marking “Women of the Word: How to Study the Bible with Both Our Hearts and Our Minds” as Want to Read:
Women of the Word: How to Study the Bible with Both Our Hearts and Our Minds

Women of the Word: How to Study the Bible with Both Our Hearts and Our Minds

Many Christian women find great encouragement and joy in and through women's Bible studies. However, popular Bible teacher Jen Wilkin is concerned that sometimes we let our emotions rule our study of Scripture and forget that the Bible is primarily about God, not us. Challenging hungry women to go deeper in their study of Scripture, this book will help you refocus your eff ...more
Published July 31st 2014 by Crossway Books

To ask other readers questions about Women of the Word, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Women of the Word

Becky Pliego
The principle that this book argues for is by all means important and I cannot agree more with the author: Become a woman of the Word. Jen Wilkin does a wonderful job in explaining why is it important -extremely important- to study the Word of God faithfully. I would give this book 5 stars from pages 1-108.

On the next pages (p.109-145), the author proposes a method to study the Scriptures (and because of these pages I dropped the rating down to 4 stars). Her method is good and in-depth, but I a
Keren Threlfall
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
2014 is proving to be a good year for newly published Christian women's books, a genre whose weaknesses and shallowness I and many others have oft lamented.

Without even using the word hermeneutics, this book is a guide to exactly that. (But no worries, lovers of and trained students in hermeneutics, the author still pulls out and articulately teaches words and concepts such as metanarrative, exegesis, and Bible literacy.)

Women of the Word: How to Study the Bible with Both Our Hearts and Our Min
Robin Hatcher
What a wonderful tool for learning how to best study the Word of God. This is one of the most helpful guides I've come across in my many years as a student of the Bible. Highly recommended.
Rachel B
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
Overall, this book was just okay. It has fairly sound teaching, and I can appreciate Wilkin's desire to motivate more women to really know their Bibles.

However, her tone throughout the first half of the book read to me like, "I used to be a terrible Christian who didn't know anything, either. But I have now arrived, and if you just do exactly what I do, you can become an awesome Christian, too!" (Her tone does improve in the second half a bit.)

The book was really dry. I finally started skimming
Wendy
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An accessible hermeneutic for ladies and seriously...just anybody.
Christine Hoover
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Women of the Word is an excellent resource for learning a process for Bible literacy. Would be helpful to walk through with someone in a discipleship relationship who would like to learn to study the Bible for themselves.
Melanie
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was amazing. I loved the content and the way it was written. It had a lot of helpful tips about how to study the Bible and I can definitely see myself rereading it in the future. It was a very easy read, and yet it had a lot of depth. I highly recommend this book.
Kate
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am tempted to reduce my rating for this book based on some of the critiques I've heard/read from friends and other reviewers. I certainly see some of the weak spots in this book, and agree about its flaws, but I feel like a lot depends on what you're hoping for this book to accomplish. For me, it did exactly what I needed it to:

1. It ignited a much greater interest in Bible literacy. This is something I've found it easy to overlook or take for granted. I have read the Bible and attended church
Rebekah
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was so helpful! I can't wait to dig into my Bible study tomorrow morning using the things I learned from this book!
Olivia | Liv's Library
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
I can’t tell you how incredible, insightful and especially convicting this book has been!

I’ve always been one to love reading, no matter what it is, but need help when it comes to actually studying the Bible. This had so much insight, tips & examples on how to make the most of your study & where to start. This should be on the must-read list of every Christian women & men alike! I cannot talk enough about this book, so just read it.

P.S. There’s also a FREE study/download that comes
Jan
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jan by: saw recommended on several blogs I follow so expected better
2.5 stars out of 5 stars Better than just "okay" but I can't honestly give it a "good" rating because it's a little too "cutesy/fluffy" and I doubt I'll ever read/refer to it again whereas I refer fairly often to a few other books on how to study the Bible (esp. Kay Arthur's). She does have some good quotes but overall it doesn't live up to all the 5-star reviews I've seen. All those high reviews making this sound like the best book on how to study the Bible made me expect it to be much better. ...more
Elizabeth Johnson
I have a feeling I’m not the only who feels inadequate when it comes to Bible study. It's the reason I enrolled in seminary last year. Thankfully, there are many tools available that can help us learn how to do that, even if you don't want to pursue formal education. One such tool is Jen Wilkin’s book, Women of the Word, which explores the importance of Bible literacy and outlines the major components necessary for profitable study.

I’m usually skeptical about books targeted to women, since they
Paul J.
This was a great book I really appreciated and will be going back to repeatedly. While I didn't find any "secret key to Bible study" or "the way to master God's Word in just 20 seconds a day", it is a very useful, succinct overview of good Bible study. There were a lot of good reminders. I think it is well-written and a surprisingly easy and enjoyable read.
Cassandra Eggert
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is really good. It convicted me and has spurred me into wanting to study the Bible more and know God better. I did find it overwhelming at some points just a bit, but I re-read a lot of chapters and that helped.
Jordan Shirkman
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
"There are really only two possibilities in this life: be conformed to the image of God or be conformed to the pattern of this world."

Jen Wilkin writes good, short books. She encourages 5 P's of Bible study: purpose, perspective, patience, process, and prayer. She provides solid examples, warnings, and exhortations, especially for teachers at the end.

Even though I didn't know what rhumba tights were, this was still a helpful book. So, not just for women, even if they are the intended audience.
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thanks, Jen Wilkin! Good encouragement for women who want to actually study for themselves, not just sit in front of a screen listening to someone else's ideas about the Bible and filling in the prepared blanks. I especially appreciated her encouragement for women to become teachers of other women. This book is sorely needed and I'm sorry I didn't buy it when I had the chance a few years ago. I'm encouraged afresh to realize I'm not alone in my frustrations!
Rosa
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Christian women
Shelves: finished-in-2018
I really enjoyed this book! It is a book that makes you think and one that you'll want to read slowly in order to properly comprehend the message. The author did an excellent job at teaching you how to study the Bible in a more in-depth manner using what she calls the Five P's of Sound Study - Purpose, Perspective, Patience, Process, & Prayer. I especially appreciated her emphasis on changing the mindset of Bible study that focuses on who we are and what we should do to focusing on Who God i ...more
Erin
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow...this is definitely a life-changing book! It has completely transformed my ideas of how to read and study the Scriptures. I borrowed this book from the library but it’s one I’ll be immediately purchasing to keep. Highly, highly recommend!
Rose Elliott
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
very well-written and helpful!
Mia
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! Very well written. We need more women like Jen Wilkin encouraging women to study the Bible themselves. I highly recommend this book.
Samantha
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: devotional-ish
Excellent guide to how to study your Bible. Worth reading.
Leslie
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faith, grownups
Jen Wilkin's thesis is that we have lost Bible literacy. We are too intent on making the Bible about us and we are not seeking God through his Big Story of creation, fall, redemption and restoration. Wilkin clearly lays out why Bible literacy is necessary and presents an organized, step-by-step study method of how to do this. Is this process easy? Well, no. But deep learning never is. If you are familiar with inductive Bible study, then this may be repetitive for you. If, like me, you have never ...more
Nay Denise
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
If you're looking for a book that will give you an awesome study method that's practical this is it! Jen really unpacks how to study the Word using the basics of the 5 Ws and 1 H by incorporating her 5 P's. I truly enjoyed this book. Her method is similar to that of Bible journaling, just a bit more organized. Though most of the tips were things I already knew and did, I enjoyed reading her point of view and seeing how her thoughts match with my own.

Totally recommend this book for those who are
Abby
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, 2018
Very practical tips for greater personal bible study.
Erin Moore
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology, favorites
Even better the second time.

And even better with a group.
Maddie
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I will just leave this here with her thoughts,

“There are many good reasons to invest in learning God’s Word, but there is none better than this: that every purposeful effort, with every perspective-laced reading, with every patient step forward, with each process-ordered attempt, with every prayer-infused interlude in the pages of Scripture we move closer to His countenance, we come more directly in line with the radiance of His face. We see Him for who He is, which is certainly a tears in itse
Jenna Wheeler
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have been looking for this book for years, I just didn't know it. I have been attending church since I was born. I learned a great deal of biblical information in my upbringing. I knew the answers.

But as I moved into adulthood and started to take true ownership of my faith I struggled. I had always been a good student in school and in church but I had never truly learned how to study. When I asked for help in HOW to study I always got good answers, but they were more like little tips and trick
Shannon Whitehead
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
The content of this book is a lot more robust than the cover art suggests. But the book is targeting women and for good reason. Women are too often willing to rely on too shallow devotionals or fluffy women's "Bible studies" that don't actually do deep study of the Bible at all, and not taught or expected to go beyond that. Jen Wilkin's book is an excellent resource for how to develop a habit of deep Bible study for yourself. In this short but strong work, she outlines her "Five Ps" approach and ...more
Hannah
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm so happy to have found Women of the Word by Jen Wilkin. I've always craved to be able to study and understand the Bible as preachers and teachers do but have always felt as if it was just beyond my reach. After reading this book, I finally feel as though I have the correct tools at my disposal. It won't be easy at first. For as Jen points out in this book, study is hard and frustrating. But the benefits far outweigh the cost. To those (like myself) who have been searching, read this book. It ...more
Lydia Dyslin
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Women of the Word is by Jen Wilkin.

I read this book because we are using Wilkin’s study method for my high school Bible study. The leader recommended that we read it if we can get our hands on it, so I picked it up.

Although the overall tone of the book did annoy me a little bit (sorry!) I found this to be a very good book with a lot of helpful information on how to study the Bible.

I think this seems like a method that could even work for me in my personal studies, not just the high school stu
  • Treasuring Christ When Your Hands Are Full: Gospel Meditations for Busy Moms
  • Choosing Gratitude: Your Journey to Joy
  • From Good to Grace: Letting Go of the Goodness Gospel
  • Adorned: Living Out the Beauty of the Gospel Together
  • Because He Loves Me: How Christ Transforms Our Daily Life
  • Practical Theology for Women: How Knowing God Makes a Difference in Our Daily Lives
  • Seasons of Waiting: Walking by Faith When Dreams Are Delayed
  • Keeping House: The Litany of Everyday Life
  • Openness Unhindered: Further Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert on Sexual Identity and Union with Christ
  • True Feelings: God's Gracious and Glorious Purpose for Our Emotions
  • Own Your Life: How to Grow a Legacy of Faith, Love, and Spiritual Influence
  • The Finishing School
  • What's the Difference?: Manhood and Womanhood Defined According to the Bible
Jen Wilkin is a speaker, writer, and teacher of women’s Bible studies. During her thirteen years of teaching, she has organized and led studies for women in home, church, and parachurch contexts. Jen and her family are members of the Village Church in Flower Mound, Texas. She is the author of Women of the Word.
“The heart cannot love what the mind does not know.” 23 likes
“If we want to feel deeply about God, we must learn to think deeply about God.” 13 likes