Start by marking “Women of the Word: How to Study the Bible with Both Our Hearts and Our Minds” as Want to Read:
Women of the Word: How to Study the Bible with Both Our Hearts and Our Minds

Women of the Word: How to Study the Bible with Both Our Hearts and Our Minds

Many Christian women find great encouragement and joy in and through women's Bible studies. However, popular Bible teacher Jen Wilkin is concerned that sometimes we let our emotions rule our study of Scripture and forget that the Bible is primarily about God, not us. Challenging hungry women to go deeper in their study of Scripture, this book will help you refocus your eff ...more
Published July 31st 2014 by Crossway Books

To ask other readers questions about Women of the Word, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Women of the Word

Start your review of Women of the Word: How to Study the Bible with Both Our Hearts and Our Minds
Becky Pliego
The principle that this book argues for is by all means important and I cannot agree more with the author: Become a woman of the Word. Jen Wilkin does a wonderful job in explaining why is it important -extremely important- to study the Word of God faithfully. I would give this book 5 stars from pages 1-108.

On the next pages (p.109-145), the author proposes a method to study the Scriptures (and because of these pages I dropped the rating down to 4 stars). Her method is good and in-depth, but I a
Keren Threlfall
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
2014 is proving to be a good year for newly published Christian women's books, a genre whose weaknesses and shallowness I and many others have oft lamented.

Without even using the word hermeneutics, this book is a guide to exactly that. (But no worries, lovers of and trained students in hermeneutics, the author still pulls out and articulately teaches words and concepts such as metanarrative, exegesis, and Bible literacy.)

Women of the Word: How to Study the Bible with Both Our Hearts and Our M
Robin Hatcher
What a wonderful tool for learning how to best study the Word of God. This is one of the most helpful guides I've come across in my many years as a student of the Bible. Highly recommended.
Rachel B
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
Overall, this book was just okay. It has fairly sound teaching, and I can appreciate Wilkin's desire to motivate more women to really know their Bibles.

However, her tone throughout the first half of the book read to me like, "I used to be a terrible Christian who didn't know anything, either. But I have now arrived, and if you just do exactly what I do, you can become an awesome Christian, too!" (Her tone does improve in the second half a bit.)

The book was really dry. I finally started skimming
Kate Hacker
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am tempted to reduce my rating for this book based on some of the critiques I've heard/read from friends and other reviewers. I certainly see some of the weak spots in this book, and agree about its flaws, but I feel like a lot depends on what you're hoping for this book to accomplish. For me, it did exactly what I needed it to:

1. It ignited a much greater interest in Bible literacy. This is something I've found it easy to overlook or take for granted. I have read the Bible and attended church
Hannah Joy  S.
I went into this book thinking that I was pretty good at reading and studying the Bible, but boy, was I wrong.
This book is a valuable tool to any woman's study of the Bible.

Jen Wilkin goes against the common mistakes we make when opening our Bibles and shows us a true and right way of studying the Bible with both our hearts and our minds.
Her methods and suggestions make sense.
I can see myself reading this book again in the near future and implementing the Five P's of Sound Study (Purpose, Perspe
Wendy
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An accessible hermeneutic for ladies and seriously...just anybody.
Christine Hoover
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Women of the Word is an excellent resource for learning a process for Bible literacy. Would be helpful to walk through with someone in a discipleship relationship who would like to learn to study the Bible for themselves.
Melanie
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was amazing. I loved the content and the way it was written. It had a lot of helpful tips about how to study the Bible and I can definitely see myself rereading it in the future. It was a very easy read, and yet it had a lot of depth. I highly recommend this book.
I read this with my ladies Bible study group this spring. This book will deepen your understanding on reading the Bible, prayer, studying, thinking, learning, and even teaching God’s word. The book is well organized and has an excellent approach that will encourage you to study our God. In the newer edition, there are discussion questions in the back of the book, or you can download a free study guide with the same questions at crossway.org/WilkinStudy.

Quote: We must make a study of him if we w
bex ☺️
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
wow this was a challenging read, definitely encouraged to try and study the bible more effectively
Rebekah
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was so helpful! I can't wait to dig into my Bible study tomorrow morning using the things I learned from this book!
Jessica  Welsh
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was raised in a traditional Christian home full of love and truth, and an unfortunate byproduct was that I coasted on the coat tails of the Biblical work that had been done before me. Jen Wilkin not only provides the reasoning for personal faithful Biblical study, but the field guide for how to do it for yourself. There are dozens of bible studies with convenient fill in the blanks. Christian women’s literature is full of feelings based eisegesis. But here Jen offers more, she offers us God hi ...more
Olivia | Liv's Library
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
I can’t tell you how incredible, insightful and especially convicting this book has been!

I’ve always been one to love reading, no matter what it is, but need help when it comes to actually studying the Bible. This had so much insight, tips & examples on how to make the most of your study & where to start. This should be on the must-read list of every Christian women & men alike! I cannot talk enough about this book, so just read it.

P.S. There’s also a FREE study/download that comes with it!
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Thanks, Jen Wilkin! Good encouragement for women who want to actually study for themselves, not just sit in front of a screen listening to someone else's ideas about the Bible and filling in the prepared blanks. I especially appreciated her encouragement for women to become teachers of other women. This book is sorely needed and I'm sorry I didn't buy it when I had the chance a few years ago. I'm encouraged afresh to realize I'm not alone in my frustrations!
Paul J.
This was a great book I really appreciated and will be going back to repeatedly. While I didn't find any "secret key to Bible study" or "the way to master God's Word in just 20 seconds a day", it is a very useful, succinct overview of good Bible study. There were a lot of good reminders. I think it is well-written and a surprisingly easy and enjoyable read.
Jan
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jan by: saw recommended on several blogs I follow so expected better
2.5 stars out of 5 stars Better than just "okay" but I can't honestly give it a "good" rating because it's a little too "cutesy/fluffy" and I doubt I'll ever read/refer to it again whereas I refer fairly often to a few other books on how to study the Bible (esp. Kay Arthur's). She does have some good quotes but overall it doesn't live up to all the 5-star reviews I've seen. All those high reviews making this sound like the best book on how to study the Bible made me expect it to be much better. ...more
Dana Hinman
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great, simple, primer on how to read the Bible. A must read.
Elizabeth Johnson
I have a feeling I’m not the only who feels inadequate when it comes to Bible study. It's the reason I enrolled in seminary last year. Thankfully, there are many tools available that can help us learn how to do that, even if you don't want to pursue formal education. One such tool is Jen Wilkin’s book, Women of the Word, which explores the importance of Bible literacy and outlines the major components necessary for profitable study.

I’m usually skeptical about books targeted to women, since they
Callie
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2017
I had never read anything by Jen Wilkin before this book, but the audio was on sale so I thought I'd give her a try. I have to admit, I approach a lot of Christian women authors skeptically these days - I have been disappointed so often with a lot of "fluff", sometimes even unscriptural fluff. But I was so pleasantly surprised by this book! If you are wanting to learn how to get more out of your Bible study, grab this book asap!

In Women Of The Word, Wilkin presents a very practical method of per
Cassandra Eggert
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is really good. It convicted me and has spurred me into wanting to study the Bible more and know God better. I did find it overwhelming at some points just a bit, but I re-read a lot of chapters and that helped.
Rosa
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Christian women
Shelves: finished-in-2018
I really enjoyed this book! It is a book that makes you think and one that you'll want to read slowly in order to properly comprehend the message. The author did an excellent job at teaching you how to study the Bible in a more in-depth manner using what she calls the Five P's of Sound Study - Purpose, Perspective, Patience, Process, & Prayer. I especially appreciated her emphasis on changing the mindset of Bible study that focuses on who we are and what we should do to focusing on Who God is. C ...more
Jordan Shirkman
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
"There are really only two possibilities in this life: be conformed to the image of God or be conformed to the pattern of this world."

Jen Wilkin writes good, short books. She encourages 5 P's of Bible study: purpose, perspective, patience, process, and prayer. She provides solid examples, warnings, and exhortations, especially for teachers at the end.

Even though I didn't know what rhumba tights were, this was still a helpful book. So, not just for women, even if they are the intended audience.
Erin
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow...this is definitely a life-changing book! It has completely transformed my ideas of how to read and study the Scriptures. I borrowed this book from the library but it’s one I’ll be immediately purchasing to keep. Highly, highly recommend!
Samantha
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: devotional-ish
Excellent guide to how to study your Bible. Worth reading.
Rose Elliott
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
very well-written and helpful!
Mia
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! Very well written. We need more women like Jen Wilkin encouraging women to study the Bible themselves. I highly recommend this book.
Jodi Howard
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By far the best book I've read on a practical way to study the Bible. It's tangible, accessible, and repeatable. I'm grateful for Jen Wilkin's teaching and wisdom!
Michelle Sauvageau
Apr 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: faith
I really enjoyed Wilkins take on how to pursue bible literacy with her 5P’s method - purpose, perspective, patience, process and prayer. As I’m wrapping up a study right now, it was nice to reflect on the knowledge I have gained and the pursuit of God through the study. It also made me think about how I can apply this to my current bible study, future bible studies and personal study.
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Second time to read. Excellent.

• Treasuring Christ When Your Hands Are Full: Gospel Meditations for Busy Moms
  • Risen Motherhood: Gospel Hope for Everyday Moments
  • Stop Calling Me Beautiful: Finding Soul-Deep Strength in a Skin-Deep World
  • The Gospel Comes with a House Key
  • Gay Girl, Good God: The Story of Who I Was and Who God Has Always Been
  • Get Out of Your Head: Stopping the Spiral of Toxic Thoughts
  • Missional Motherhood: The Everyday Ministry of Motherhood in the Grand Plan of God
  • All That's Good: Recovering the Lost Art of Discernment
  • A Praying Life: Connecting with God in a Distracting World
  • Word-Filled Women's Ministry: Loving and Serving the Church
  • Disciple Her: Using the Word, Work,  Wonder of God to Invest in Women
  • Humble Roots: How Humility Grounds and Nourishes Your Soul
  • Labor with Hope: Gospel Meditations on Pregnancy, Childbirth, and Motherhood
  • Rhythms of Renewal: Trading Stress and Anxiety for a Life of Peace and Purpose
  • Even Better Than Eden: Nine Ways the Bible's Story Changes Everything about Your Story
  • Identity Theft: Reclaiming the Truth of our Identity in Christ
  • Parenting: 14 Gospel Principles That Can Radically Change Your Family
  • The Freedom of Self-Forgetfulness
Jen Wilkin is a speaker, writer, and teacher of women’s Bible studies. During her thirteen years of teaching, she has organized and led studies for women in home, church, and parachurch contexts. Jen and her family are members of the Village Church in Flower Mound, Texas. She is the author of Women of the Word.

News & Interviews

“The heart cannot love what the mind does not know.” 37 likes
“If we want to feel deeply about God, we must learn to think deeply about God.” 21 likes