Start by marking “The Search Angel” as Want to Read:
The Search Angel

The Search Angel

As the owner of the upscale children’s boutique Pretty Baby, Eleanor Sweet is surrounded by gleaming strollers, organic cotton onesies and roundbellied expectant mothers. It’s a serene atmosphere of new beginnings—but for the graffiti-sp
Kindle Edition, International edition, 256 pages
Published June 18th 2013 by HarperCollins (first published June 4th 2013)

Start your review of The Search Angel
Catherine McKenzie
In The Search Angel, Tish Cohen explores how the things one desires most are often linked inextricably to our pasts. Eleanor Sweet’s pursuit of adoption and the search for her own birth parents is told with compassion, humour, and intelligence—all the ingredients you look for in the best of books.
D
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: women-s-stories
Warm and fuzzy with substance. The characters and the story had plenty of seriousness, but were related in a light way, with lots of good, gentle humour that brought them to life.

Aside from the occasional too-tidy plot point (i.e. a certain foreshadowed event occurring at exactly the moment when it would evoke the most drama), I felt that Cohen never did me the disservice of resorting to cliches. Nor did she steer so far clear of them that all my expectations and hopes for characters were doome
Suzanne
I needed a fluffy read this weekend, and The Search Angel met that need exactly. Light, sappy, and a quick read.
Kara Hansen
3 stars. This book had its charm and quirkiness, but at times Cohen had too many side storylines to really make it a great book. This story centres around Eleanor Sweet, a successful business owner of Pretty Baby, an upscale children’s boutique. The only thing missing from her life is a baby of her own. Her and her husband are all set to adopt a baby girl, but as the day nears, Jonathan backs out of the deal, leaving Eleanor to tread these waters on her own. At the same time, Eleanor ( who was a ...more
Louise
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Story Description:

HarperCollins Publishers|May 27, 2013|Trade Paperback|ISBN: 978-1-44341-082-3

Bestselling author Tish Cohen returns with a story of one woman’s love for her child and the courage it gives her to face her biggest fear.

As the owner of the upscale children’s boutique Pretty Baby, Eleanor Sweet is surrounded by gleaming strollers, organic cotton onesies and roundbellied expectant mothers. It’s a serene atmosphere of new beginnings –but for the graffiti-splattered record shop next d
Tanis
Jul 01, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quirky characters. Humorous writing. A quick, light, nice read.
Cindy
Jun 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
True rating - 3.5 stars
Harpercollins Canada
When I was five years old, my best friend found out that she was adopted. I didn’t fully appreciate what adopted meant at the time, or understand why it was so important to my friend, but the word did seem to carry a lot of weight. I remember noting that my friend was very curious about where she came from. Now that I am all grown up, I know what adopted means, but it wasn’t until after I read The Search Angel by Tish Cohen, that I felt as though I better understood the complex emotions that are ...more
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Eleanor Sweet and her husband are about to board a plane and fly across country to pick up their newly adopted baby, until he flakes out. Now, in order to adopt as a single parent, she needs a "support system", so she figures she'll locate the birth mother she never knew---huh? Readers are supposed to buy into the premise that a thirty-something woman assumes her birth mother, who she never met, will drop her life, move half-way across the country to be at her daughter's beckon call for the daug ...more
Lindsey
Feb 29, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
This book was very misleading in its synopsis. It claimed to be about a relationship between two ladies, but it was something else completely. That relationship didn't even come into play until the last third of the book and then it was muddled up with so many other things that you didn't even care. Not worth the read at all. A total waste. And like the last 50 pages were about trying to get her baby to sleep. What the hell? Also, the synopsis on Goodreads says the baby is named Lily and from Ko ...more
Sandra
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kobo-e-reader
I really enjoyed this book. I thought that Isabelle would play a bigger role as she was the search angel, but the story was mainly about Eleanor. This was a short, touching story about adopting and being adopted.

Kathy
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic story of Eleanor Sweet and what she gives up, and finds, in the quest of adopting Sylvie.
Linda
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i read it day and half good read
Sandy
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hate it when I'm really into a great book, and suddenly when I turn the page, the word "epilogue" is staring me in the face. I had no idea I was at the end. :(
Linda Hoye
As much as I really wanted to love this book I didn't. The storyline was not believable and the plot was predictable. As an adoptee I found it flippant and insulting.
Tiffany
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very lovely book. It has all of the appropriate elements of laughter, sadness and joy. Eleanor Sweet is just as her name suggests: sweet. I spent the first part of the book astounded by how Eleanor could keep it together so well working at a baby store and with her seemingly Fertile Myrtle coworker, while she is faced with her own infertility. I don’t know if she had just come to terms with it and realized adoption was her only way, but I honestly was... well, proud of her. I would’ve ...more
Patrice M. Addeo
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved the story

The process of adoption for those of us who have always had our natural born families is something we can only imagine. I like that this story shares the inner thoughts and feelings of an adoptee. Also how for some who find themselves unable to conceive their own child, still cannot open their hearts. Characters are well thought out with personalities, even though flawed, they are interesting. Their own stories drawing attention. A really good read.
Phyllis
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good characters, good story, maybe unbelievable at times. Couple trying to adopt a girl when the husband gets cold feet and backs out. Eleanor, the mother decides to go ahead without her husband. Engages the help of a Search Angel when she discovers she needs to have a backup care giver to complete the adoption. She herself is adopted and decides to find her mother. The search Angel has issues of her own .Story of coping, motherhood in all its forms.
Sonja Randall
A touching story on many levels;
Giving a baby up for adoption, being adopted and trying to adopt – serious business, life changing choices with heart breaking consequences.

Well written, although I have never been in any of these situations, I could identify with all the characters. The book was slow at times, but still a powerful story.

The end was disappointing, I got the idea all the unresolved issues was an opening to a sequel.
Tiffany
Not quite 3 stars. This book “told” the story reasonably well (but too many side plots, none of which were adequately developed), but I didn’t feel anything, despite the concerted efforts to inspire pathos. I didn’t feel involved in the story or with the characters. I skimmed the last 1/4 of the book, and I don’t think I missed anything.
Jennifer Nelson
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read for the most part! I enjoyed it although found some parts irritating like the birth mother not staying with her to help her with the new baby and also not acknowledging the central character as her daughter. But I guess that was the point.
A Reading Girl
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting tale of a woman who embarks on a journey to adopt a little girl, and loses her husband, but gains a new support system. She discovers her real family and forms new relationships which then give her the strength to proceed with the adoption.
Kether Foisel
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
This was a quick easy read for Winter Break, and I quite enjoyed it. Mostly because I loved Isabelle and have found myself wanting her to pack her bags and move into another story so that I can have more of her.
Jo Ann
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is there a sequel?

The ending seems to leave some open ends like Do Noel and Eleanor get together?, Does Jonathon e nd up coming home to stay? Do her mom, dad and family ever open up to her in introducing her as their daughter?
sandy elder
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Different type of story that brings you in.

This is a different kind of story that celebrates women strength. It focuses on topics most of us don’t ever have to deal with particularly adoption. The story causes you to root for the main character.
Janet
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet story

If you like happy endings, this is a nice little read. It’s a good Saturday afternoon read, but it is a little predictable.
susan newland
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

I only wish it was longer..I wanted more of an ending,for Isabelle. I also would like more insight to Ruth
Stephanie
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Insightful

The thoughts of the adopted and the birth mothers in the story are very insight ful. It's a great read.
Louise
Feb 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my favourite of hers, but good.
Terteach1
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was absorbing and different. It had many twists and turns.
« previous 1 3 next »
East Coast authors 1 2 Jan 18, 2015 12:07PM
52 weeks, 52 books: Week 2014.7: The Search Angel & Giveaway 12 54 Aug 08, 2014 02:46AM

• The Second Chance Supper Club
  • Bloodletting & Miraculous Cures
  • Unbroken Threads
  • The German Heiress
  • Millicent Glenn's Last Wish
  • Lady Clementine
  • The Chateau by the River
  • When You Were Older
  • Saving Sandcastles (Lobster Bay #1)
  • Making Waves (Lobster Bay #3)
  • Changing Tides (Lobster Bay #2)
  • Her Last Promise
  • The Mermaid Garden
  • They Left Us Everything: A Memoir
  • My Sister’s Lies
  • A Life Without You
  • Ellie Dwyer's Great Escape
  • Bitter
"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom."
Anais Nin quote from Oprah's website inspired Tish Cohen to write her first adult novel.

Tish Cohen is the author of TOWN HOUSE, a 2008 finalist for the Commonwealth Writers’ Prize – Best First Book Award (Canada and Caribbean region), and in development as a feature film with Fox 2000. Ridl