Start by marking “Treasure Island” as Want to Read:
Treasure Island

Treasure Island

Unrivaled in literature, Stevenson's Treasure Island is among the most delightful adventure romances of all time. From young Jim Hawkins' first encounter with an old buccaneer and his treasure map to the final daring skirmish with the treacherous pirate Long John Silver, this classic work enchants and fuels the imagination with beautiful illustrations.
Hardcover, Abridged, 160 pages
Published March 1st 2005 by Sterling

To ask other readers questions about Treasure Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Treasure Island

Start your review of Treasure Island
Yigal Zur
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
one of the best adventure books ever written. still
⚓Its me Irina the READER⚓
Read for my 24 hour Read a thon! Wasn't the best! I hardy enjoyed it. Hopefully I will like the original more???
Krista
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
My daughter and I listened to the audio book before bed each night. The narrator for this classic start is very good, entertaining, and easy to understand. She loved this story, that is mostly full of action. There are some dragging spots she said, that's why she rated it 4 stars. I read the original story with my teenage kids, I'm glad I included her by listening to this shorter little kids version.

Overall, great story! Highly recommend the audio CD!
Kayla
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Treasure Island is one of my favorite book after i finish the story. It tells about Jim Hawkins, a young adventurer had to find pirate's treasure somewhere where no one ever been there. At first, when i read this book i don't really like it because it's about pirates and finding treasure. But since i read on until the middle of the story, i began to feel curious and start to liking this story. It's so interesting and i always can't wait what will happen next, this is the first time i liked a ...more
Jessica Birkle
This review is for the Classic Starts (abridged version) of Treasure Island. We read this version as a family read aloud with my 5 and 6 year olds. I read the unabridged novel on my kindle at the same time, in order to compare the two versions (had never read either before).

For our purposes, the Classic Starts version of the story was perfect. The original contains a fair amount of drinking and violence, which is significantly toned down in the Classic Starts edition. My kids would also not have
Parker D
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Melanie
It's a simple read for kids but think it cut just a bit too much.
Tayla
Apr 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
Eh. Pirates and killing for treasure.
Catherine
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
I found it a little boring. It almost felt like a basic cliff notes to what happened.
Shayne
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am really happy with these adaptions. This is allowing our youngest 6 and 7 to learn the story but on a condensed level that they can handle
Elizabeth
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Quick read. Some parts felt like they dragged a bit but other than that I enjoyed it.
ParselBoy
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book of Treasure Island. Good Classic!
-4 Stars
Roslyn
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
My five-year-old enjoyed this book. I think it needs a second draft. There are some parts that are confusing or seem like information is missing. Also, though it wasn't so scary that we quit reading it, this book was quite scary to my little boy. With my next child I will wait a few extra years to read this one.
Hunter
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Treasure Island is a fantastic book now don't get me wrong but this shorter knock off did not suit the bill. Treasure Island is an classic adventure novel which tells a fantastic mysterious story but in my opinion this recreated version just does not quite achieve what the original achieved. First off the story in this novel is very slow going meaning that it takes time for the story to actually get some where most of the time you're reading information that is not relevant to the story but you ...more
Samantha Barnes
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a great book about the epic adventure of Jim Hopkins's trip to treasure island. It begins when a strange man comes into the Jim's tavern and talks of a man with one leg. The strange man is killed by the black spot and a crew of pirates break into the tavern in search for his key that opens a treasure chest on Treasure Island. Jim is able to get the key and when he alerts the city he joins a group of men on a voyage to seek out the chest. Jim is unaware that he is on a ship of mostly ...more
Barry
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Re-telling a story cannot be an easy task. If readers already know and love the original book they most likely never will be satisfied with the re-telling, and if people aren't familiar with the original, trying to figure out which parts to leave in and which to skip likely causes headaches.

I loved Mr. Stevenson's original version. Growing up it was my favorite book, and I still consider it one of my all-time favorite reads, so I did not expect to be impressed by this re-told version. All told,
Aidan
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have a lot of mixed feelings on this book. First off, it felt a lot more like a prolonged short story then an actual book. It also annoyed me how the author would stick some random sentence in the paragraph that made almost no sense to be there! And I was thinking of rating it a 3 star book, but once they got to the island and started fighting against each other it was intense! I just loved the ending of the book so much that I had to rate it at least a 4 star book.
Jonathan Balun
Every kid would love Treasure Island. The problem with the original Stevenson classic is that it tends to get banned for blood and violent situations. That is why we have this classic starts adapted version. You can follow young Jim Hawkins through all of his pirate adventures. Yes, he still fights. Yes, he kills another pirate, but the action scenes are quick and less gruesome than the original. Good for grades 4-7.
Laurel Wicke
Feb 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-logan
I am a fan of these classic start abridged novels, especially for beginner readers. This one wasn't my favorite. Still good, and Logan ate it up! A good introduction to the story for my 6 and 8 year old, but I did feel it was a bit choppy, whereas others we have read seems more seamless.
Yow2014
Dec 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
It was a great book but it lacks my interest i got bored in the first few pages. I had a thought weather i should or shouldn't continue it. I continued it anyway but it never caught my interest and i forgot everything about it in a month. But its just my opinion
Jocelin
May 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
Im not a very ship/pirate type of reader and this book made me find that out. Although it is adventurous and quite a good story it is not for me. Many of its characters were boring to me, however I do recommend this book to anyone who likes reading about pirates and ships.
emma
Feb 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
I really did not like this book at all!! I felt no connection to the characters. If I had the opportunity to murder all of the characters, I honestly would. I hated the writing. I thought it was very choppy. Also, the plot I felt was very dry and bleh.
Karan Gill
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was a interested my this book. I loved it.
Anna
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-kids
Nice introduction to the classics for the little ones. My kids loved it
Shauna
Mar 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
I'd never read this story as a child. The main thing I kept thinking about this book was, why on earth would anybody name a restaurant about a murderous pirate who pretended to be a cook?
Amy Cook
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Scott really enjoyed reading this to the boys nightly. They loved the adventure and suspense.
Fatini Zulkifli
Jan 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: eng-novel
It contains simple storyline. Suitable for elementary level. Picked this book up because I've run out of books. I need to do book-hunting soon.
Kaethe
Apr 05, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this because my son (8 yr old) was reading it and I wanted to be able to discuss it with him. Definitely written "down" for his age, but he was still scared!
Linda
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Childhood favorite! Loved the adventure. Reading took me away on many afternoons in a small, rural town in south Alabama. The good ole days!
Jeanie Mccarthy Pityinger
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
ANOTHER wonderful classic that I had read as a kid and decided to give a re-read - SO glad I made that decision. I really enjoyed it and didn't put it down until I was finished :D

• The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Classic Starts Series)
  • The Jungle Book (Classic Starts Series)
  • Gulliver's Travels
  • The Adventures of Robin Hood
  • The Three Musketeers (Classic Starts)
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • Frankenstein (Classic Starts Series)
  • Peter Pan (Classic Starts)
  • Around the World in 80 Days
  • Oliver Twist
  • Moby-Dick
  • Greek Myths (Classic Starts Series)
  • The Wonderful Wizard of Oz: A Commemorative Pop-Up
  • The Secret Garden
  • White Fang
  • The Prince and the Pauper (Classic Starts Series adaptations)
  • Pinocchio