Start by marking “Treasure Island” as Want to Read:
Treasure Island

Treasure Island

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  504 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Unrivaled in literature, Stevenson's Treasure Island is among the most delightful adventure romances of all time. From young Jim Hawkins' first encounter with an old buccaneer and his treasure map to the final daring skirmish with the treacherous pirate Long John Silver, this classic work enchants and fuels the imagination with beautiful illustrations.
Hardcover, Abridged, 160 pages
Published March 1st 2005 by Sterling

To ask other readers questions about Treasure Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Treasure Island

Catherine
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
I found it a little boring. It almost felt like a basic cliff notes to what happened.
ParselBoy
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book of Treasure Island. Good Classic!
-4 Stars
Roslyn Ross
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
My five-year-old enjoyed this book. I think it needs a second draft. There are some parts that are confusing or seem like information is missing. Also, though it wasn't so scary that we quit reading it, this book was quite scary to my little boy. With my next child I will wait a few extra years to read this one.
Hunter
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Treasure Island is a fantastic book now don't get me wrong but this shorter knock off did not suit the bill. Treasure Island is an classic adventure novel which tells a fantastic mysterious story but in my opinion this recreated version just does not quite achieve what the original achieved. First off the story in this novel is very slow going meaning that it takes time for the story to actually get some where most of the time you're reading information that is not relevant to the story but you ...more
Samantha Barnes
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a great book about the epic adventure of Jim Hopkins's trip to treasure island. It begins when a strange man comes into the Jim's tavern and talks of a man with one leg. The strange man is killed by the black spot and a crew of pirates break into the tavern in search for his key that opens a treasure chest on Treasure Island. Jim is able to get the key and when he alerts the city he joins a group of men on a voyage to seek out the chest. Jim is unaware that he is on a ship of mostly pir ...more
Barry
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Re-telling a story cannot be an easy task. If readers already know and love the original book they most likely never will be satisfied with the re-telling, and if people aren't familiar with the original, trying to figure out which parts to leave in and which to skip likely causes headaches.

I loved Mr. Stevenson's original version. Growing up it was my favorite book, and I still consider it one of my all-time favorite reads, so I did not expect to be impressed by this re-told version. All told,
Aidan
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have a lot of mixed feelings on this book. First off, it felt a lot more like a prolonged short story then an actual book. It also annoyed me how the author would stick some random sentence in the paragraph that made almost no sense to be there! And I was thinking of rating it a 3 star book, but once they got to the island and started fighting against each other it was intense! I just loved the ending of the book so much that I had to rate it at least a 4 star book.
Jonathan Balun
Every kid would love Treasure Island. The problem with the original Stevenson classic is that it tends to get banned for blood and violent situations. That is why we have this classic starts adapted version. You can follow young Jim Hawkins through all of his pirate adventures. Yes, he still fights. Yes, he kills another pirate, but the action scenes are quick and less gruesome than the original. Good for grades 4-7.
Yow2014
Dec 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
It was a great book but it lacks my interest i got bored in the first few pages. I had a thought weather i should or shouldn't continue it. I continued it anyway but it never caught my interest and i forgot everything about it in a month. But its just my opinion
Laurel Wicke
Feb 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-logan
I am a fan of these classic start abridged novels, especially for beginner readers. This one wasn't my favorite. Still good, and Logan ate it up! A good introduction to the story for my 6 and 8 year old, but I did feel it was a bit choppy, whereas others we have read seems more seamless.
  • The Story of King Arthur and His Knights (Classic Starts Series)
  • Arabian Nights (Classic Starts Series)
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Classic Starts Series)
  • The Adventures of Robin Hood
  • The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle (Classic Starts Series)
  • Frankenstein (Classic Starts Series)
  • The Jungle Book (Classic Starts Series)
  • Greek Myths (Classic Starts Series)
  • Alice in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass (Classic Starts Series)