Start by marking “The Girl of Fire and Thorns Stories (Fire and Thorns, #0.5-0.7)” as Want to Read:
The Girl of Fire and Thorns Stories (Fire and Thorns, #0.5-0.7)

The Girl of Fire and Thorns Stories

(Fire and Thorns 0.5-0.7)

A paperback edition of three novellas set within the world of the New York Times bestselling Girl of Fire and Thorns series, previously available only digitally: The Shadow Cats, The Shattered Mountain, and The King’s Guard.

The Shadow Cats is told from the perspective of Elisa’s older sister. Discover how their sibling rivalry looks from Alodia’s viewpoint, and find out wh
Published August 26th 2014 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about The Girl of Fire and Thorns Stories, please sign up.
Emily After all three books of the trilogy would be the best time I think. Each alludes to things that happen in the series that either will go over your…moreAfter all three books of the trilogy would be the best time I think. Each alludes to things that happen in the series that either will go over your head or spoil you otherwise.(less)

Deborah
May 25, 2018 rated it liked it

This is a nice collection of shorts, it’s give us a look into the early life of three characters.

The Shadow Cats - 3*

I wish I’d read this before the trilogy.

While there’s nothing really new here it gives us a look at Alodia and Elisa. We understand a little more why Alodia is so harsh with her and why Elisa feels as if her sister hates her.

This turned out to be a nice quick read.

The Shattered Mountain - 3*

This is the story of how Mara found her way to the rebellion.

We’re with her when her villa
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
[2.5 stars] This compilation of three short stories would’ve been exponentially more enjoyable had I read it with the series instead of waiting several years. Considering how little I remembered of the side characters, the first two stories were entertaining enough and I’m sure they added a bit of good backstory. However, the final book (Hector’s story) didn’t really give me any of the feels I wanted even though it was the one I was most looking forward to. I’d long ago learned my lesson about w ...more
Judith
I'M FINE

Lisa
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own
I am so glad I read this book. These are definitely one (three actually) of the best novella's I've ever read. I am so glad and happy to know the backstories of these three amazing characters. I feel like I know them so well now. I hope the side characters of each of these novella's will make an appearance in the series. I know some already have in the first book (and I might have missed some). I highly recommend these novella's if you've read The Girl of Fire and Thorns
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
The Shadow Cats (Fire and Thorns, #0.5)

From Alodia's POV. It takes place before Elisa marries Alejandro, and offers insight into the sisters' relationship, which I particularlly appreciated, being an elder sister myself. I'd had a hard time with how cold and indifferent Alodia came across in the full installments of this series.

It's just a really good novella.

The Shattered Mountain (Fire and Thorns, #0.6)

From Mara's POV. This is the story of how her village was destroyed, and how she came to jo
Birdie
Since this is a bind-up of 3 novellas I'm not going to give this a rating I'll just rate each individual short story and give a small review.

THE SHADOW CATS-- 2/5
I found this one to be the most boring and disappointing out of all three novellas mainly because Alodia is my least favourite of the main bunch of characters in this series. I really didn't like seeing the way she viewed and belittled Elisa in her head, it just made me hate her and want to take back the good feelings I began to have fo
Jana
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
Rae Carson could write twenty books set in Joya D'Arena, and I would happily buy them all. She knows the land, its people and their cultures, the climate, even the flavor of the sea water so well that I suspect she's been there and these books are just an accounting of her travels. As a fan of the original Girl of Fire and Thorns trilogy, I was thrilled to have more insight into characters like Alodia, Mara, and Hector, and Carson did not disappoint in the slightest. Now that I've read these pre ...more
Mel (Daily Prophecy)
HECTOR.

That's enough for now.

Review will follow.
4.5 stars.

Edit:

I'm not reviewing this book on my blog, so I'm going to write down what I have to say over here. The first story shows some more of Elisa's sister and I liked that we got to see her POV. We only know her as the 'better' sister who hates Elisa, but now we get to see that's not true. She values Elisa at the end of the story and I loved to see that development in their relationship.

THERE IS A HECTOR STORY. I mean, what more do I need to
Brianne
I really enjoyed all three stories.. but now I yearn for more from this world!
Anna 'Bookbuyer'
Isaa Jason
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
what a novella’s. All just perfect. Perfect action and characters.
Gunjan (NerdyBirdie)
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This bind-up: mindblowing.

If I had to list this in order from most favorite to least favorite would be: The King’s Guard, The Shadow Cats, and then The Shattered Mountain.

I guess I’ll talk about each novella separately:

The Shadow Cats is the first novella in the bind-up series. I liked this a lot. Mostly because it was funny to read how Alodia thinks. And she has her moments. But it was also so different, because, people, our badass Queen Elisa is completely useless from Alodia’s point of view!
Cathy
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
The Fire and Thorns series is one of my favourites and one of many things I absolutely adored about the series is the way Rae Carson wrote her characters. All her characters felt so REAL, and i'm so glad that we get to learn more about some of them. Each of these stories made me love the characters even more and reignited my love for the world that I was introduced to in The Girl of Fire and Thorns. Of the three, my favourite was definitely The Shattered Mountain (Mara's story).
Ana
Writing style, pacing, you name it. Carson does everything right.

The Shadow Cats: I liked that we got a little bit of Alodia's perspective and now it's clear to me that the sisters would have gotten along better had their mother lived and/or had a competent father.

The Shattered Mountain: Mara is great, as usual.

The King’s Guard: Hector had a lot more to do with Rosario than meets the eye.
Jessica
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Reading this book made me realize how much I miss the world of The Girl of Fire and Thorns. I love Rae Carson's writing so much and hope that there are more books set in this world. It was pleasure reading from Hector's, Mara's, and Alodia's perspective.
Devon
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Rachel
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
SO. GOOD. And all I want now is to reread the entire series.
Satangan
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I actually read this book from yesterday (12/30/2018) evening until this morning (12/31/2018) to finish it. I never planned on nonstop reading, but I came to love this book. At first, I held off on reading because I had other books to read and almost didn't want to read it. I had checked this book out from my local joint-use library and I was in the teen/supernatural section of the library. I ended up picking this book by random and I wanted to read something new. Also, the cover was really beau ...more
Micheala
Jan 13, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the last two stories but I still don't see what the first story was suppose to do as all it managed was to make me like the sister even less.

The King's Guard was the story I felt was the strongest for explaining things in the actual trilogy (view spoiler)

The Shattered Mountain was interesting because you see how Mara came to be at the rebel camp. It only really fleshes out Mara's backstory th
Louise
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
*3.75*

I found it difficult to rate this novella collection because it’s 3 different stories. But with that said I felt differently about each one, but my favorite was probably the last one with Hector because I really like his personality and his will to help others.

I also really liked the story about Mara because it showed how amazing she is under pressure and how brave she is. But I also really like her strength when it came to making sure everybody was okay all the time, and that she put the
Amy Braun
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've had this series on my TBR shelf for a while and was excited to read some of the short stories that will lay the ground work for the series. I liked aspects of many of them and will look forward to seeing how these stories tie into the main trilogy.

Alodia and Elisa's relationship is definitely not simple and I look forward to seeing how it wraps together.

Mara's story was my favourite, and I truly hope Mara has a bigger presence in the next books. Her backstory is a tragic one, and it had s
Zarinah
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was so good! The only reason it got marked down a notch is because the first story was meh but the other 2 stories were amazing! The shadow cats was just not that capturing but it did set a setting from the village point of view. If you were to read the first story you would think nah this book is for me but get through because story number 2 and 3 are so rich in character, plot, and adventure! I was so captured by the whole world and the great thing is each story was told from complet ...more
Lisa Marie
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Three novella stories that take place before book 1 in the series. I found that these stories were longer than I expected. These books do not really add a lot of details that were linked to the actual trilogy because of how far before the books the stories were but it shows the growth and back story for three important characters in the story. (Well 2 more important than the third).

Least favorite: shadow cats. I did not really like the sister in the trilogy and she did not really have that much
Emmi Rose  (emmirosereads)
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: four-stars
While these felt rushed and like they would have been better fit into whole books and stories I really enjoyed them. It was really interesting to see these characters before we get to know them in the orgional trilogy! I think my favorite was probably the King's Guard. It was the most interesting to me and I love Hector to pieces. 😍

If you're a fan of the Fire and Thorns trilogy I think this collection is definitely worth reading. 💗
Elyse
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
I always find those little side novellas to be unnecessary. This one is not an exception. I feel absolutely no connection to the characters of this series, so I did not really care about their stories before “A Girl of Fire & Thorn”. Hector story was the most interesting out of the three, but it wasn’t that great either.
Soquel
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I hadn't read the novel first and felt that though this might have had a few spoilers in it, it was worth trying it out first. The little taste of her characters and world was enough to hook me. I really like Carson's style of writing and her world building is wonderful.
Alysa Morley
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Definitely not necessary to read, but I really liked it.

My favorite one was the last one, which didn't surprise me at all. I'm also glad I waited until I finished the series to read these, since they felt much more impactful to me because I know the characters really well at this point.
Samantha
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just listening to these stories has made me want to audiobook the series. I read them last time but I am just loving all the pronunciations and accents so I know I gotta experience the trilogy all over again in this different format.
Alannah
The Shadow Cats: 3.5 stars
The Shattered Mountain: 3.5 stars
The King's Guard: 4.5 stars
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Gleaning (The Spellspinners of Melas County, #2)
  • Stormtroopers: Beyond the Armor (Star Wars)
  • Writers of the Future Volume 31
  • Tempest: All-New Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #10)
  • The Woman I Was Born to Be: My Story
  • Warbreaker, Part 1 of 3
  • Tales From a Galaxy Far, Far Away, Vol. 1: Aliens (Star Wars)
  • Thornghost (The Twistrose Key, #2)
  • Sire (The Vampires of St. Troy, #1)
  • Dirty Wings (Metamorphoses, #2)
  • The Poison Study Short Story Collection: Assassin Study, Power Study, Ice Study (Study #1.5, #3.5, #3.6)
  • Gravbøygen våkner (Alvetegnet, #1)
  • The Hook (Iron Seas, #0.6)
  • Death Marked (Death Sworn, #2)
  • The Lily and the Cross (The Ring and the Crown, #2)
  • Homecoming (Winterspell, #1.5)
  • The Invisible (Brokenhearted, #2)
  • Shadow of the War Machine (The Secret Order #3)
Rae Carson was born in 1973 in California and now lives in Arizona. She developed an enthusiasm for storytelling in her earliest childhood. She studied social sciences and worked in various industries after graduating from university before she realized her dream and became a writer. The Girl of Fire and Thorns is her debut novel.

In her own words, she "write[s] books about teens who must do brave

Fire and Thorns (4 books)
  • The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1)
  • The Crown of Embers (Fire and Thorns, #2)
  • The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)
  • The Empire of Dreams (Fire and Thorns, #4)