Start by marking “Spiral of Hooves” as Want to Read:
Spiral of Hooves

Spiral of Hooves

Spiral of Hooves concerns a protagonist whose mind buries the murder he witnesses under another violent event in his traumatic past. As he resurrects his memories, the life that he escaped from proves to be both a barrier and an asset in uncovering a conspiracy to clone elite competition horses, a scheme in which ethics are rejected in the struggle for breeding superiority ...more
Published December 9th 2013 by Spectacle Publishing Media Group, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Spiral of Hooves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spiral of Hooves

Nancy
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this tale of intrigue which kept me on my metaphorical toes, especially towards the end. There were many surprises unravelling that I hadn’t anticipated even though I did manage to work out a few of the mysteries. There were parts of the description which made me feel as though I was watching a horse riding event on TV- which I used to enjoy years ago but haven’t indulged in for some time.
Various themes are covered in this complicated plot- coping with a physical issue that oth
Alethea
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Spiral of Hooves is an intelligent, detailed, intricately plotted thriller and love story set amidst the highest levels of European horse event racing. Roland Clarke, a retired equestrian journalist and photographer, uses his expertise to create a rarified world where wealth, science, and equestrian skill intersect, where profits are high enough for the villains, delightfully Canadian…going against their stereotype of being the nicest people in the world…to succumb to subterfuge and murder. Clar ...more
Hilary Mack
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I didn't think I would enjoy reading this because I am not a horse person, but it was very enjoyable indeed. It's a thriller and a mystery and a love story all rolled into one, and it was a perfect way to while away a few long evenings.

It isn't a fast paced thriller, but that made it all the better. We got chance to get to know the characters before they were plunged deeply into the crises and it made for a more satisfying read.

Two things did niggle, one of which was probably down to my own igno
Amaranthye
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Spiral of Hooves is a great book for horse lovers who also love thriller or crime novels. The plot has several twists and turns, the characters are rich, and the author's in depth knowledge of the world of eventing brings the story to life.

Arguably one of the best things about this book is the writing of the riding scenes. They are authentic, realistic, and incredibly well written. The reader is brought with over every jump and through every turn.

The story itself is compelling, and while there a
Harry Allagree
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
As to plot, I felt Clarke's novel was adequate, but extremely complicated to follow. It seemed to assume a lot of knowledge of equestrian competition, terminology, etc. It was hard to keep track of who the characters were & what they were up to. The main characters seemed to play "musical beds" on a whim. There seemed to be little clear development of motivation on their part. As to writing, I felt like it was all hurried. I had great difficulty in figuring out who was speaking at any given ...more
Kobayashi
Having only been horseback riding a handful of times, but definitely a horse-lover, I enjoyed diving into this very involved story. There were so many things to like here! The danger, the mystery, the relationships, and the beautiful writing! When Clarke tells you about the nature of the locations, you feel like you are there beside the characters, taking it all in. I also grew quite attached to the heroine!

I did notice that another reviewer brought up the one point that I thought was a bit stra
Kimberly L
Mar 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
This is not a book that I would ever pick up again. I had enough trouble getting through it the first time. It's missing an understanding of the horse world that makes someone who is immersed in it want to read the book. The writing could be stronger and the characters are not particularly likeable.
Gina McKnight
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horse-books
Author Roland Clarke writes an engaging thriller for everyone! Clarke brings his equestrian experience as well as his wisdom and creativity to the page. "Spiral of Hooves" is full of suspense, twists, turns, and all the great qualities of a good book. Charismatic characters and rich scenarios make "Spiral of Hooves" recommended reading.
Roland Clarke
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
As the author, this is not really a review but my thoughts on the novel for guidance.

Although the first edition of “Spiral of Hooves” took me thirteen years to complete, I was able to use my experience as an equestrian journalist to develop and refine the novel. The Second edition – the Writer’s Cut – allowed me to address some of the questions raised by reviewers of the first release and correct some typos, I hope. Writing this book had inspired me to create new stories, although the time invol
Isabella
Jul 05, 2015
Jane Perry
Jan 15, 2014
Laurel E
rated it did not like it
Dec 06, 2014
Mary A.
Syndi Day
GOOD REVIEWS: Reviews of Equestrian mystery 1 7 Aug 15, 2017 03:27PM
  • Death in Dulwich
  • Keeper of the Scale (The Diet Buddies #1)
  • Miss Darcy's Beaux: A Persuasion, Mansfield Park and Pride and Prejudice Continuation (Austeniana, #1)
  • Llewellyn's Little Book of Dreams
  • Weed, Inc.: The Truth about the Pot Lobby, Thc, and the Commercial Marijuana Industry
  • Troy's Possibilities: Nothing Is Straightforward When Anything Is Possible
  • Faults (Island Series, #4)
  • The Lady of Mercia's Daughter
  • The Infinite Now
  • Life Without Stirrups: A Witty Memoir About One Person's Gallop Through Life
  • Morgenland
  • Shadowed
  • Stay the Distance
  • The House at Zaronza
  • Conspiracy of Lies
  • Journeys of Simplicity: Traveling Light with Thomas Merton, Basho, Edward Abbey, Annie Dillard & Others
  • The Erenwine Agenda
  • A Scandalous Regency Christmas
I am a retired equestrian journalist and photographer, who used to be a regular contributor of articles and photos to Eventing Magazine and other equestrian media including eQuest, Riding, and Carriage Driving. Sadly Multiple Sclerosis clipped my wings and I was unable to meet deadlines so easily and found it increasingly hard to get to equestrian events.

Once retired I was unable to abandon the sc