Start by marking “Hand of Miriam (A Bayla and the Golem Novel)” as Want to Read:
Hand of Miriam (A Bayla and the Golem Novel)

Hand of Miriam

(Bayla and the Golem #1)

On an archaeological expedition, Bayla Gideon, is widowed by a supernatural force and branded with the Hand of Miriam or Knowing Eye. Threatened by evil, she awakens the golem; a mythical man of clay, who protected the Jewish community over three centuries ago.
The golem, Gesher, is surprised. Freedom –by a beautiful, enchanting woman. His desire is to return to the celest
Published December 6th 2013 by Eva Gordon

To ask other readers questions about Hand of Miriam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hand of Miriam

Tabitha (Lovely Books Blog)
Read more reviews like this at http://lovelybooksblog.blogspot.com!

I've been meaning to read The Hand of Miriam for what feels like forever, so when I finally sat down to start this one I didn't even read the description and jumped right in. After only a few pages I was thrilled to discover this novel full of steampunk inventions, a unique cast of characters, and a fascinating story line. I was quickly drawn into the story and I only wish I had picked this one up sooner!

I was immediately fasci
Patricia
Apr 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First off this is the first steampunk book I have read. I didn't know that at the beginning so I was a bit confused. But as I started reading it I really got into the book. Its a mixture of Victorian, steampunk and goth . All rolled up in on sweet book.
Bayla Gideon is widowed on an dig and is branded by a supernatural force with the knowing eye. She awakens the Golem when she is threatened .
Gesher is a fallen angel that has been turned into the Golem because he disobeyed his fellow arch ange
Katie
Duration: 10 hrs 36 mins

Hand of Miriam, a Bayla and the Golem novel, Volume 1 by Eva Gordon is an action-packed, Steampunk-y, paranormal romance with its roots in Abrahamic mythology.

Audible Summary: On an archaeological expedition, Bayla Gideon, is widowed by a supernatural force and branded with the Hand of Miriam or "knowing eye". Threatened by evil, she awakens the golem - a mythical man of clay who protected the Jewish community more than three centuries ago.

The golem, Gesher, is surprised
Amy
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. This was my first book by Eva Gordon and I must say I'm impressed. The book was fast paced, tight, and engaging. The steampunk aspect was there, but wasn't plot-centric. More like a part of the environment. Exactly what you would expect of a book casually mentioning things that are commonplace in the world. It made me able to concentrate more on the story. And the paranormal aspect of this story was intriguing. Someone who can see ...more
Sharon Stevenson
'Hand of Miriam' is the story of Bayla, a woman with a thirst for adventure who becomes a widow and is branded with a knowing eye while on an archaeological expedition. She is thrown into a world of supernatural danger, and awakens a golem as protection.

This is a really powerful read with a steamy romance at its heart. I loved the main characters, they were so vividly depicted and each held their own in the paranormally-infused steampunk setting. Bayla was wonderful as the heroine, so easy to sy
D Thomas
Dec 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Here is is finally......

Hand of Miriam
A Bayla and the Golem Novel (book 1)
by Eva Gordon

This is the first Steampunk novel I have read. I have wanted to read one for a while now and jumped at the chance to read this one. I think it was a great look into the steampunk world for me.

The Hand of Miriam by Eva Gordon combines the steampunk world, Jewish Mythology and romance into a wonderful book that kept me wanting more.

I look forward to the next installment of Bayla and the Golem.
Diana in SC
4 stars overall, 3 stars story, 4 stars narration
Cool concept and plot but annoying characters

This romantic urban fantasy has a lot going for it: Jewish characters and culture set in a steampunk Victorian England, a great plot, lots of great action scenes, psychic abilities, and an angel cursed to be a golem. The author incorporates lots of actual things from Jewish religion/culture: the hamsa symbol, the Golem of Prague legend, details of Sephardic Jews and their language, and an absence of he
Jenna
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audiobook version of this book.
I think this was a great start to a new series. It has a lot of different creatures in it that generally get forgotten about; specifically, the Golem and Arc. I always enjoy stories with main characters that are a different creature than the usual vampire/werewolf. I love that Bayla is written as a strong enough character to want to take her new supernatural powers and make the world a better place; even after the tragic loss of her husband. I al
Trisha Perry
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Bayla inadvertently picks up a artifact while on expedition it burns a seal into her hand, than a wind comes through killing every one else with her including her husband, that is just the start of her strange and dangerous adventure. However, she will soon find help and protection in some not so normal places.

This book is so wonderful, Bayla is such a strong woman the type any woman would be proud to be. All the characters are so well thought out and fit in there place perfectly like a puz
Cecilia Dominic
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steampunk, romance
This is a delightful steampunk book full of supernatural surprises and a hunky angel/golem hero who goes through his own satisfying character arc. The book's highlight is definitely Bayla, who is a strong, independent woman in a time when those traits were considered undesirable. Having a heroine who is a widow is risky because it can feel like there's a love triangle with the late husband and book hero, but the author handles the tricky emotional balance with sensitivity and skill. Also, while ...more
Krystal
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a wonderful, intriguing story narrated delightfully. Ms. Jillings brings Bayla & the other characters to life. It was a joy to listen too. I loved the bit of steampunk mixed in with the historical. I also loved that Bayla was such a strong independent woman with flaws.
Clarice
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Steampunk, Victorian, with a little mix in of Goth, Hand of Miriam is a mixture of novel I am personally not familiar with, but very much enjoyed reading. And it even added some supernatural with werewolves, vampires, wraiths, with the main points of interest being angels and demons.

Bayla Gideon is on an archaeological expedition when her husband dies and she is the only survivor to the freak storm that happens. During this time Bayla is branded with the Hand of Miriam, an all seeing eye that c
Lena Corazon
THE HAND OF MIRIAM is officially the most creative, inventive book I've had the pleasure to read in a very long time. It's most definitely genre-bending "gothic steampunk romance," with supernatural creatures, a secret society, serial killers, a fallen-angel-turned-golem, and one bluestocking widow caught up in the midst of adventure and danger.

Bayla Gideon, the main character, loses her archaeologist husband in a tragic and mysterious accident in the Egyptian desert. That same accident leaves
Jennifer  Ricketts (Donnie Darko Girl)
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review for my stop on the blog tour at Donnie Darko Girl.

I'm always craving more steampunk stories, and HAND OF MIRIAM confirmed for me that I haven't read nearly enough. This book blew me away with its creative plot, vibrant characters, and mix of Jewish mythology, supernatural creatures, and steampunk. There are several layers rich to the story which kept things intriguing and caused me to stay glued to my Kindle.

After her husband's tra
Gypsy Madden
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Bayla herself is a sympathetic viewpoint as she tries to navigate the newly discovered paranormal world around her, and understand her growing feelings for her larger-than-life glorious protector (though she did feel very similar to Alexia Tarabotti of the Gail Carriger books). I did worry that the golem, once turned into avenging angel, was perhaps a shade too superman perfect/invulnerable for the reader to worry about his or Bayla’s safety. But then the romance became a wonderful distraction a ...more
Jasmyn
Hand of Miriam is a great mix of steam punk and romance with just a twist of religion to keep it even more interesting. Bayla Gideon has been marked with the ability to sense evil with a touch. Bayla is unique from women of her time in other ways as well. She is an academic that loves to go on expeditions looking for antiquities. One of her late husband's great prizes is a golem. When Bayla's new abilities begin to lead to threats to her life she decides to give life to the golem, never realizi ...more
Patricia
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a different and intriguing read.

Not only was I entertained by the authors bewitching characters but by the vast amount of knowledge I learned. Yes, learned. When reading a book if phrases or terms appear that I don't understand or know I pull out my google app and learn the meaning. In this case I learned some Hebrew and Yiddish terms.

The author created a world of steampunk with the paranormal along with elements of religion. Not overwhelming but all the more intriguing. I feel in awe of E
Ulla Bisgaard
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four stars for Hand of Miriam by Eva Gordon
This book was given to me for reviewing.
Category: paranormal/fantasy/historical romance.

Bayla is a young Jewish woman living in the 18th century. After becoming a widow she discovers that she has supernatural powers. They are powers that makes her a target for many supernatural creatures show don't like that she can see them and read their thoughts. As protections she summons a golem.
Gesher is a fallen angel, who has been turned into a golem as punishm
The Book Breeze
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
The world Ms. Gordon created in Hand of Miriam made it a fascinating read. As a lover of all things that are mystical, it was a pleasure to experience Bayla’s world and Hebraic religious elements.

The one caveat I must make is that I’m an editor as well as a reader so my reviews may have a bit of craft notes if they disrupt my enjoyment of a book. Hand of Miriam had one that was especially noticeable, at least for me, in the beginning. From the point of Bayla’s transformation (not too spoilery),
Jacque Stengel
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Steampunk..check, historical fiction...check...Romance...check...goth...check...paranormal creautures...check

You would think if you merge too much together it wouldn't click. Well...Eva Gordon, made it click! The story unfolds as an everyday historical fiction and slowly morphs into ...well....everything else! From fallen angels to vampires (no not the sparkling ones) to weres...well, I don't want to give too much away.
The steampunk attributes were well thought out and very well described. Hard
Dominc Bender
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When on a archaeology expedition tragedy strikes when the husband-wife team suffers disaster as well as unknowingly awakens a a mystical device which involved our leading lady in an ages old war. But can an old acquaintance keep her safe from the demons now hunting here? And can she realize her place and destiny when FATE comes calling from the deep past to renew her duty to Earth and all its denizens?

With a personal grudge between archangels and one of their fallen brethren still trying to kee
Krissy Austin
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me a little while to get into it but after I did I couldn’t put it down. It was very well written and I really enjoyed reading it. I have never read a book like this before so I did not know what I was getting into when I started but I did not disappoint me. It was a new spin on paranormal but I loved it. This book is about Bayla who has a thirst for adventure, when she becomes a widow she is branded with a knowing eye while on a archaeological expedition. The branding throws her into a ...more
T.A. Moorman
Sep 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Walk into the world of Victorian London where ships sail through the sky and goggles, corsets and stop watches are part of the everyday attire. Gordon truly knows her steam and the legends behind the creatures that go bump in the night. Though this novel is a rather lengthy one, each page is well worth the read. Hand of Miriam is a tale full of magic, mayhem, love, loyalty, betrayal and plenty of blood thirsty fiends.

This review is to be published on BTSeMag. The link will be posted here at a la
Shirl
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
This was not my normal paranormal read but sometimes it's good to step away from your normal. My normal is not historical but this was a very good read. I would highly recommend it. A man who turns to stone and his true like mate who has been born and reborn again and again. I loved it when he gave up his chance of getting his angels wings back to save her life. The second book should be a great read also if it picks up with the same couple and answers my lingering questions.
Vickie Raynor
Oct 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I felt the allure of all the powers from the angels and demons and array of paranormal beings from the start. The journey and thrilling excitement the book took me on was amazing. There was betrayal and danger at every turn. Help where you least expect it. I couldn't put the book down. The battles that ensued made me hold my breath awaiting the outcome. Wonderful fantasy! Book provided by author in exchange for an honest review.
Madeleine
This book is acually very well written. I enjoyed reading it though it is not my usual genre to read. The main characters are really amazing together but then again you have a beautiful widow and a fallen angel what more can you ask for..the author keeps you entertained throughout and in some parts on the edge of your seat suspense.. All in all I would recommend this book to anyone who likes steampunk paranormal or wants to read something new...
I received an arc for honest review
InD'tale Magazine
3.5/5.0

Gordon has a great ability to create characters and dynamic settings, which she then weaves into an inventive plot line.

Read full review in the 2014 June/July Double Issue of InD’tale Magazine.
Candy
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed another great book by Eva. Set in another era it was a different read because of the words used, but hey I still continued to read. Bayla and Emmet are characters I will follow up on. There were many twists and turns that kept one guessing. If you want something different to read check this one out.
Sheryl
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is definitely 1 of the better steam punk books I have read in a long time. Magic, a Golem, vampires, werewolves, romance, good and evil plus Jack the Ripper. Who wouldn't love reading something like this.

This is book 1 of the series A Bayla and the Golem Novel by the author and I can't wait to read the next book in this series.
Dillyknitter
May 15, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very interesting at the beginning. I was expecting a sort of Indiana Jones Steampunk adventure. Unfortunately things changed quickly. I tried twice but was not able to finish it. It was bad ("natal suit" - really). Save your time and money.
Steampunk Reads : Love reviews for Bayla and the Golem Novels, 1 and 2 1 8 Nov 30, 2016 06:50AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 May 28, 2015 06:43PM

• Tesla's Signal
  • The Osiris Curse (Tweed & Nightingale Adventures, #2)
  • Jade (Three J'Amigos, #1)
  • Born of Treasure (Treasure Chronicles #2)
  • Destined Darkness (Nephilim's Destiny Book 1)
  • Paniha's Taniwha (Artifact Hunters, #3.5)
  • The Devious Dr. Jekyll (Electric Empire, #2)
  • Iron & Blood (Jake Desmet Adventures #1)
  • Moonlight & Mechanicals (Gaslight Chronicles, #4)
  • Rings of Anubis (A Folley & Mallory Adventure, #1)
  • Ministry Protocol: Thrilling Tales of the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences
  • The Perilous Journey of the Not So Innocuous Girl (The Perilous Journey of the Not So Innocuous Girl #1)
  • Taken
  • The Constantine Affliction
  • The Zeppelin Deception (Stoker & Holmes, #5)
  • Leviathan Rising (Pax Britannia, #2)
  • The Clockwork War (A Clockwork War #1)
  • Gravely Inanimated
Website http://www.ravenauthor.com

Eva Gordon writes genre bending paranormal/fantasy/steampunk and historical novels with a strong romantic element. Alpha heroes and brilliant feisty heroines. HEA with a kick. She loves to create stories that combine her passion for mythology, steamy romance, and action/suspense. Her imagination takes her from one universe to the next

Bayla and the Golem (2 books)
  • Her Majesty's Witch (Bayla and the Golem, #2)