Start by marking “The Rising: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Rising: A Novel

The Rising: A Novel

When nine-year-old C.J. Walker touches the arm of his mother's dead friend at her wake service and whispers the wish that she wouldn't be dead, he's just trying to do the right thing. But when the undertaker sees the woman's rosary sliding off her outstretched fingers and tumbling down her raised left arm, the firestorm can't be held in check. Frightened people near and fa ...more
Published March 31st 2014 by Ignatius Press

To ask other readers questions about The Rising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rising

Sara Berbigão
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Este livro tem uma história muito, muito interessante e que nos faz refletir. C.J. é um rapaz de apenas nove anos que descobre que tem o poder da ressuscitação. Isto poderia ser fantástico, claro, é o que todos nós pensamos. Mas Robert Ovies levantou também alguns problemas, bem pertinentes: o que se faz a uma pessoa com aptidões especiais? Alguém com grande poder vai tentar tomar conta da situação, sendo muito difícil para a própria pessoa e para os seus familiares e amigos terem algum controlo ...more
CatholicBibliophagist
As I read this book, the question that kept coming to my mind was, "Why?" Why was this child given the ability to raise the dead? Would that question be answered? Surprisingly, it was. The answer was unexpected and satisfying, adding depth to a novel that could have been a mere thriller.
Shelly Kelly
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-read
What would you do if your son had the ability to heal, to bring back life from the dead? Robert Ovies explores this question with gripping clarity and envelops you in his thought-provoking drama, The Rising.

Ironically, I very recently read Mitch Albom’s novel The First Phone Call From Heaven which explores a similar “miracle” question in the same regional location of Detroit. However, Robert Ovies’ writing style and tone are not similar enough to conjure comparisons, and where Mr. Albom draws th
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014-list, favorites
This is a book that really grabbed me, right from the start. I'm not giving anything away that's not already in the description: nine-year-old CJ Walker raises people (at first accidentally) from the dead.

Now, stop for a minute and think about that. This isn't a thriller. It's not a horror novel. It's a serious consideration of what that would mean for a normal kid and his family.

I couldn't stop thinking about this book the whole time I was reading it (which was admittedly longer than I wanted t
Aline Ramos
Oct 30, 2015 rated it liked it
narrativa lenta e detalhada, como um livro de suspense, com pontos de vistas de vários personagens. Achei que faltou algo, esperava mais.
Kate Calina
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Rising by Robert Ovies

Marion Klein was dead. Her hand was cold and hard as she lay in the funeral home. Father Mark knew she had moved on. He had touched her inanimate body. He had said the funeral service and watched as the last mourner filed out into the night. Another lovely woman had fallen victim to cancer.

But what was he to make of the mysterious message recording on his answering machine as he walked through his back door? A brittle voice cried out to him from the funeral home: “Pleas
Joseph R.
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, read_2014
C.J. Walker's mom takes him to the wake of family friend Marion Klein. C.J. is one of the last to pay his respects to the deceased. He touches the body and says, "Be well, Mrs. Klein." After everyone has left, the undertaker notices the corpse moving! The priest is called back, 911 is called, and the media are soon all over the story. After the initial shock of seeing what happened on TV, the nine-year-old boy tells his mother Lynn that he brought Mrs. Klein back from the dead.

Naturally, mom is
Joseph Wetterling
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I'm torn by The Rising. Initially, it was because I couldn't put my finger on what type of book it is. It has that sudden turn that happens in romance novels, but it's certainly not a romance of that sort. It has plots and secrets and escapes like a thriller, but it is, at least, not all thriller.

The first half of the book moves carefully and slowly forward, enough that you may wonder, at first, if C.J. really has a gift at all. Everything could be coincidence. Perhaps the novel will explore our
Patricia Mckenna
Life, death and our lack of control of these issues is the theme of the book. It takes a realistic look at what would happen if a miracle of the magnitude of resurrection were to happen today in modern times. Amidst the skepticism, angling for personal gain and ambition of the adults is set our main character of C.J. He is a nine year old boy like any average child, not particularly spiritual. His childlike trust and naïveté is what makes the story believable. C.J. is able to resurrect the dead ...more
Mario Magaña
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful and touching love story written in an engrossing language that is at the same time simple enough for everyone who knows basic English to be able to understand.

So captivating of a story (such mystery, thrill, and emotional complexity in the characters), and such deep thoughts summoned by reading it that I can definitely see a Blockbuster based on it reaching movie theaters around the world.
Leslie
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very well written, fast paced novel about a 9 year old boy who unexpectedly resurrects a woman from the dead after a funeral. The way that the public and news media respond is very overwhelming. His mother tries to figure out how to keep her son emotionally and physically safe when everyone has their own mixed motivations for trying to use his gift of being able to heal and resurrect people.
Beth
Apr 23, 2015 rated it liked it
The media, the Catholic church, a wealthy millionaire, and the Federal Government are all after a 12 year old boy with the inexplicable power to heal and even raise people from the dead. Sadly, even his own father plays a role in his own son's exploitation. Only his mother stands by her son to protect him...no matter the cost.
Timothy Winterstein
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a convincing story about what would likely happen if a child was discovered to have the power to heal and raise the dead. The only thing that annoyed me was that the edition I read had numerous typos. Strong narrative and well told.
Teresa Bradshaw rodenbaugh
An interesting and somewhat disturbing concept that I found difficult to wrap my head around. Still, the book held my attention and I found myself picking it up to read more whenever I had a few moments.
Clare Cannon
Apr 15, 2014 marked it as goodreadingguide-com
Currently being reviewed for www.GoodReadingGuide.com
Grace r Burns
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great read!

I really enjoyed this book. The characters were believable and the plot moved along through the very end. I highly recommend this book.
John
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
Hands down, this was the best book I read in 2014.
Isabel
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very suspenseful book that read so fast! For anyone who may be grieving the loss of a loved one, this fictional novel may have a very touching and uplifting effect.
Marge Johnston
Mar 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
slow start but fast ending!

Many thought provoking issues within the story. Well written with a few glitches in transition to ebook but worth the time.
sherrie baker
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a good book

Very hard to put down. Story line and plot very well written. Would read any other book written by this author.
Leslie Andersen
Jul 22, 2014 rated it liked it
A priest told me "you won't be sorry you read this book", and that is true; however, I am sorry I BOUGHT this book, because it isn't good enough to read again!
RoseMarie
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting book! Hard to put down once started.
Paula Dainese