Start by marking “The Sacred Fire of Liberty: James Madison and the Founding of the Federal Republic” as Want to Read:

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  34 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
James Madison was the finest democratic theorist that the United States has ever produced. His was the pivotal philosophical role in framing the Constitution and establishing the principles on which a wholly new form of government was to be based. Yet this widely informed and profoundly original thinker has been considered by most scholars to be an intellectual pragmatist ...more
Published October 31st 1995 by Cornell University Press (first published October 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Sacred Fire of Liberty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sacred Fire of Liberty

Eric Atkisson
Jul 27, 2012 rated it liked it
This is not a book I would recommend to casual readers, as it's clearly written for an academic audience. That said, as someone interested in the Founding Era and wanting to learn more about Madison in particular, I felt the book was worth my time and effort.

In short, Banning sets out to debunk the popular misconception of Madison as someone who so persuasively argued for a stronger central government--and was indeed its principal architect--through the First Constitutional Convention and the F
John Coleman
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Good book with factual details of the time. Into history, this might be for you.
Jp
Feb 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: history
I read most of this book and I understood like 5% of it. The nice thing was it was worth all the work for that 5%. Yet it felt like such a great accomplishment that when I was done I really had become that much smarter. I felt like I better understood James Madison and the early American government better.
Andrew
I read this for my American Political Thought class. It's quite interesting, however it's very dense. I would recommend something lighter to start off with if you don't know much about the history of the US Constitution.
Craig Bolton
The Sacred Fire of Liberty: James Madison and the Founding of the Federal Republic by Lance Banning (1995)
Randy Morrison
Mar 10, 2015
Micah
Aug 23, 2008
Erika
rated it did not like it
Jun 26, 2014