Start by marking “Beginnings” as Want to Read:
Beginnings

Beginnings

Published June 1st 1975 by Doubleday Books

To ask other readers questions about Beginnings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beginnings

Leslie
Jan 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a delightful book of poetry. I'm sure I'll refer to it again and again. I just listened to Carol Lynn Pearson read several of these along with her life story from podcasts on mormonstories.org and it made this book all the more meaningful. Thanks Lisa!
Angela
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am not one for poetry, but this collection is beautiful.
Ramona McConkie
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Some of my favorite poems of hers are not in here, but this is a great collection nonetheless.
Andre
Jan 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Before writing my review I must give this disclaimer. I knew Carol Lynn Wright before she married Gerald Pearson. She went to Provo (UT) High School as I did and, although I graduated several years before her, we had the same great drama coach: Max Golightly. When I returned to BYU to do graduate work, Carol Lynn was finishing up her undergraduate degree. We both spent a great deal of time on BYU stages. She was one of the greatest actresses ever on those stages...I, usually, played cast of thou ...more
Rosemary
Jan 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
As a teen, Carol Lynn Pearson came to a fireside in our ward. Only about 6 of us came on that cold snowy night. Her poems were trendy and popular to use in talks, so I was surprised to see that she was a bit of a hippy. I soon forgot about her long granny dress and her long straight hair parted in the middle. Her poetry really touched me. Years later I saw her book at a thrift store for twenty-five cents. It is worth $25.00! I love to read this book of poems over and over. They have the unique d ...more
Robin
Nov 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This is by far my favorite book of poetry. The words speak to my soul. I love the heartfelt sentiment of each succinct little poem. In this collection her style is similar to the poetry of Emily Dickinson. Her later works have a different feel in my opinion. The illustrations are very moving. I have read this so many times that the cover is hanging on by a string!

I received this book as a gift when I was a new mommy... I guess my little Tiffany must have found it and added her own "illustration
Miri
Feb 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
To One Who Has Been Done Dirt

Cry or curse or call it unfair,
But be grateful till the grave
That in this hurt
You're the one who received,
And not the one who gave.

Unfed

Why we are afraid
To feast.
A.C. Paige
Jan 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My favorite poem is "Trial Number Five." I can relate to many of the poems in this book. There are some on adoption, many on life, our relationship with Heavenly Father. It is a very lovely book of poetry. I received this book from my mother in law one Christmas. I plan to keep it and pass it on to my children.
Lisa
Mar 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual, poetry
I've loved this book of poetry since 1980. My favorite poem in it is On Nest Building. I sent a copy of it to my parents from Paris when I was a student there. She expressed, better than I could, my gratitude to my parents for helping to make Paris possible for me. Her poetry will always be dear, insightful, inspired and profound for me!
Clarice
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2016
This way very early in Carol Lynn Pearson's writings and it shows her devotion to LDS theology and doctrines. I gave it to an LDS friend of mine after I was done reading it. I'm sure she will enjoy it deeply.
Carol
Apr 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
An insightful set of works that really provides thoughts through poetry that can broaden our experience
with poetry. It is probably my favorite of the works I have read of Peasons. She has had her own life's experiences that we can relate to through her written word.
Kathleen
Oct 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My first and treasured intro into the works (and future works) of my now beloved Carol Lynn Pearson. A must read for mothers. Flash forward to 2011 and her mature works in "The Sweet, Still Waters of Home". You will weep...
Tricia
Sep 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poems, 2011
These poems gave me immense comfort at the beginning of this year. Some were too WAM POW religion-in-you-face for me, but there were some subtle gems in there. She has a way of writing poetry that is similar to the way I used to, so I think that's why they speak to me.
Maggie
Aug 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008, 2014, lds
I find Pearson's style satisfying and her themes thoughtful. This early poetry of hers is particularly poignant, because of what came later.

I write more about reading over here.
Sandra
Jan 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Such beautiful poetry. Not overly wrought and so approachable, yet deep and lovely.
Etta Mcquade
Nov 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
I memorized Carol Lynn Pearson's poetry years ago and have given several of her poems on programs, especially "Full Circle."
The Damsel
Dec 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Chullain
Wonderful... Thoughtful... Beautiful. She Is a true poet.
Alisha
Oct 28, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
I think to myself that I don't really like/get poetry, but there were ones here that were very lovely AND thought-provoking AND they keep popping up in my head.
Linda
Sep 30, 2010 added it
I love the simple beauty of her short poems. They touch you at the heart. She is a beautiful person. It is a book that I will treasure and refer to often.
Karen
Feb 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Excellent LDS poet.
Jana
Oct 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I wanted to re-read this after just finishing Goodbye, I Love You. Honestly, there's only a handful of poets that I can say I love to read their work and hers is one of them.
Denise
Mar 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love her insightful mind and how she describes life in such creative ways that I can see in my minds eye.
Jenn
May 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
I was curious about this poetry since I've heard it referenced many times and I know the author. All together, I found the short poems sweet an easy to read.
The Smiths
Nov 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite of our three Carol Lynn Pearson books.
Valerie
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really related to her poetry back in the 1970's when these were written. I was recently reminded of her poem on prayer and used it in a Sunday School lesson the other day.
Robin
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious, poetry
Wonderful insights are characteristic of Carol Lynn Pearson's poetry . . . something in me wants to be just like her when it comes to the gift of words.
Liz
Aug 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I rarely find poetry that speaks to my soul, but hers does.
Emily Moore
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
The poetry in this book is simple, and poignant and cuts to the core, the illustrations only add to it more
Becky
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Have read it many times.
Misty Lynne
Jun 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
My very most favorite book of poetry. Carol Lynn Pearson's poetry is simple and lovely. I have been enlightened and touched by it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
From http://www.clpearson.com/about_me.htm

In fourth grade, in Gusher, Utah, I won four dollars in a school district essay contest on “Why We Should Eat a Better Breakfast.” And yes, this morning I had a bowl of my own excellent granola, followed by a hike in the hills near my home in Walnut Creek, California.

In high school I began writing in earnest. I have now in my files a folder marked “Poetry,