Start by marking “The Complete Tales” as Want to Read:
The Complete Tales

The Complete Tales

This complete and unabridged collection contains all 23 of Beatrix Potter's Tales in one deluxe volume with all their original illustrations. The stories are arranged in the order in which they were first published so they may be read in their proper sequence. A special section at the end of this volume contains four additional works by Beatrix Potter that were not publish ...more
Published November 1st 2006 by Warne (first published June 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Tales, please sign up.
Eloise Briggeman Ok thank you for telling me and I will check soon have a nice day

Miranda Reads
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
description
Beatrix Potter has written so many quintessential children's stories that even now, at 26 years old, I am overwhelmed with nostaglia and delight every time I pick this book up.
description
Unfortunately, I could not say the feeling was shared with my reading partner.
description
Seriously, Squamish (my dog) was such a brat as I tried to read this one.
description
He's lucky that he's so cute!

The Tale of Peter Rabbit
"Your Father had an accident there, he was put in a pie by Mrs. McGregor
Whewww ... Beatrix Potter certa
Jason Koivu
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Don't let this innocent looking book fool you! It's all death and despair right from the get-go when a mother bunny relates with such nonchalant callousness the death of their father to four impressionable young rabbits. One suspects she wasn't all that sad to see the old man go. Perhaps he was beating her.

Love the fantastic illustrations! Sure they border on Kinkadian quaintness and might be too cute for their own good, but without them most of these stories quite frankly never would've been r
Jessica
The classic stories really do stand the test of time. I've read these aloud to my children over and over. Even my 7 year old boy loves them. They love the pictures, and the stories are fun and easy to follow for all ages. I've always loved THE TALE OF TWO BAD MICE best, but my son tells me that THE TALE OF THE FLOPSY BUNNIES is best, because they're so lazy and sleepy they almost get eaten.

2017: I don't think any of the illustrations could be better than the expression on Tom Kitten's face when
Amanda
This was so enjoyable! I did not grow up loving these as a child, but I think that worked to these tales’ advantage for me as an adult. I so appreciated the craft of these stories having read a Beatrix Potter biography alongside it. I really liked the writing style, stories’ messages, depictions of animal behavior and illustrations, both watercolor and pen-and-ink. I will continue to treasure these stories as I read them in the future.
Wayne
May 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone - Accountants perhaps not!!!
Recommended to Wayne by: Beatrix's illustrations.
PRELUDE;
A few weeks ago went to see the film of the Royal Ballet dancing several Tales of Beatrix Potter. The ballet choreographed by Frederick; with music, really delightful, by John Lanchbery, was first made into a film some years ago.This recent production was filmed in the actual theatre.
There were only two of us in the movie theatre.I was sitting right at the back and was sorely tempted to get up and dance to my heart's content across the large open area behind the last row of seats. I didn
Andrea Cox
Ever since I saw Miss Potter, starring Renee Zellweger and Ewan McGregor, I have wanted to read Beatrix Potter's stories. Thankfully, my parents surprised me with a beautiful edition of her Complete Tales. Well, I guzzled it in a mere two days. Yep, this one's a darling collection with gorgeous paintings and sketches by Miss Potter herself. I loved every moment of it and recommend it to anyone who still has a vivid imagination. You'll need one to see hedgehogs, pigs, and rabbits (among other cri ...more
Cheryl
Jul 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, no, I didn't read the whole book, not even all the ones I didn't know before. After all, they're at Project Gutenberg, so I can read them on my tablet at any time. But I picked this up at the library to have an idea of just how prolific Potter (second cousin's great-aunt of Harry?) was. And I have to admit, the variety of what she created is more than I realized, and the quantity less.

I'm finding that I'm enjoying the ones that are not so cutesy bunny more than those that are. The Tale of M
Rikke
I did not read these gorgeous tales when I was a child. I have no nostalgia for Peter Rabbit and his friends. But oh, how I wish I had! How I wish I had read about the wonderful rabbit in his lovely blue jacket with shiny golden buttons and his tiny pair of shoes. How I wish I had lost myself in Beatrix Potter's wonderful, pastel-coloured water-paintings and gasped of the wickedness and cunning of Tommy Brock, and sighed with delight with each happy ending, each last word wrapping up the story i ...more
Christine
Jan 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I finally got around to reading Beatrix Potter.

I love Beatrix Potter. Just a children's author, not bloody likely. What doesn't she cover? Class, environment, animal rights, economic theory.

And those pictures.

There are three levels to Potter - (1) children (2) adult (3) artist.

Emma Long
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Beatrix Potter's Complete Tales holds a very dear place in my heart. This collection has never lost its popularity. Beatrix Potter's first story in 1902, "The Tale of Peter Rabbit" was published in a small edition by Frederick Warne, within a year it was an instant best seller. To this day the appeal of the tales is just as strong.

The animals seem to almost take on human personalities. In fact, these magical stories are often connected with real people, places or animals. Stories that involve an
Sylvia
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-readers
Bought in the Beatrix Potter Museum during a trip through the Lake District. These are stories which will be reminded your whole life. Not only this book is a beauty, but a visit to the museum, where all Mrs Potter's figures are life size, is highly recommended. Even as an adult I love to read the story of Jemima Puddleduck, mrs Tiddlemouse and famous Peter Rabbit. The illustrations are fine colored and detailed and done by Mrs Potter herself.
lauren
In all honesty, this probably deserves a 3.5 stars but, due to sentimentality and nostalgia, I'm just giving it a 4.

Beatrix Potter's stories have been a part of my life for a long time now - I regularly visit the Lakes (a place where Potter lived and bought these stories to life, as well as it thriving off Peter Rabbit merch), these stories were read to me in my childhood, and I've had two pets named after characters (an old rabbit called, you guessed it, Peter and my current dog Tiggi). I was e
Richard
The Kindle edition included audio files which I didn't listen to, although I might try them at some future time.

When one thinks of Beatrix Potter, Peter Rabbit immediately springs (or hops) to mind, but there is so much more. Other stories feature rabbits, mice, cats, dogs, frogs, ducks, pigs, squirrels and other animals. Human beings usually appear only incidentally, and play a major role in only a few stories. The level of the narration varies: some stories seem geared to the very young, and s
Jessika
The first book I can remember reading was The Tale of Peter Rabbit, so Beatrix Potter is very near and dear to my heart. This collection of her tales is simply wonderful. Between her stunning artwork and her entertaining stories, there is something here for everyone. These would definitely be fun stories to read out loud to children.

In regards to this edition, I really enjoyed how before each tale, there was some background information on the story and what inspired Ms. Potter to write them. I
Calista
I'm so glad I took the time to go through this book and become familiar with the work of Beatrix. It is a lovely book of stories and artwork. It is also a collection of fine stories for children and adult with the hearts of children. This is a treasury of stories. It's worth getting from you library.
Peter
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Isn't Beatrix Potter wonderful, a fine artist and a writer of some of the greatest and memorable childrens stories. Reading through this remarkable book you know it will never go out of fashion.

Put your feet up make some muffins and buns, make some tea and enjoy.

P.S. anyone who gives this one or two stars is a miserable sod and can expect a visit from Mr Tod the wiley fox!
From BBC Radio 4 Extra:
Childhood favorites and some of Beatrix Potter's lesser known tales, in a fresh 2013 landscape.
N.N. Light
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite collection of tales. I've loved Beatrix Potter ever since I was little. Beautiful hand-drawn illustrations.

My Rating: 5 stars
Natalie (CuriousReader)
I'm glad I got to revisit these stories as an adult reader. I, as many people, grew up with Beatrix Potter's stories - in particular The tale of Peter Rabbit although I've read a few others too as a child. Some of the stories were quite fun - I especially liked The tailor of Gloucester, The tale of two bad mice, and The tale of the pie and the patty-pan for the writing. Overall, the writing wasn't what drew me in - it's rather straight forward as its aimed at a young reader. But I love Beatrix P ...more
Nicola Mansfield
Review written in 2007: I've been reading this aloud to my 7yo for a month or so, reading one story every now and then. The stories are presented here in chronological order as published with 4 unpublished works at the end. The stories are wonderful, darling tales of anthropomorphic animals. Once she married in 1913 she didn't have as much time for her painting and writing and I think it shows as the stories in the first half of the book are much more enjoyable than the latter ones. The stories ...more
Shawn Thrasher
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the magnificently read Blackstone audio version, and really, I can't recommend it enough. It's like having a British gran read you the stories before a crackling fire while English weather does what English weather does outside, with a cup of chamomile tea.

Tennyson wrote "Nature, red in tooth and claw" and while he wasn't writing about the brutal world of Beatrix Potter, he could have been. Peter Rabbit and friends may be late Victorian yeomen and gentry wearing blue coats and sel
Helen
Jan 22, 2012 rated it liked it
These are kids' books?!?!?! Seriously?!?!
I have no problem with anthropomorphic personifications, talking rabbits etc, but surely if you're making the animals talk you should stay away from making them eat each other! It may be because I was 'reading' the complete series on audiobook, one after the other, but do we have to have one story telling the tale of the mice that 'live' in the dolls house when the kids aren't playing with it and then in the very next story have the dog eating mouse pie?
Beth Anne
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-aloud, 2012
This was a read aloud book to Emma. I think I loved the stories as much as she did! I read most, if not all, of these when I was little, but I had forgotten much of the stories.

Children's stories certainly are not written like this anymore. I love that Beatrix Potter uses brilliant and colorful language. Her characters and descriptions were simple, endearing, and full of life. The illustrations are simple but there is something about them that captures your heart. She was a gifted lady to be sur
Anne
Apr 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
You might think that the big words and adult phrasing in these books would deter a child's interest... not so! Children love stories about animals, and even if they don't understand every word (or -sometimes - even the plot!), they enjoy the rhythm of the language, the pictures and the funny situations. Besides, reading books like this with more advanced vocabulary and sentence structure teaches them how to speak with more advanced vocabulary and more complex sentences.
Joanne Valiukas
Sep 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
I adore these little stories which are always so delightfully engaging and fun. I used to make my husband read them to me when I couldn't sleep and my favourite was always The Pie and the Patty Pan. Just like Ribby or Mrs Ribston as she is known in the tale, my husband came home to a chicken pot pie that had just underneath the crust...yes, you guessed it...a patty pan. Me and our children roared with laughter at the delighted shock on his face. Ms Potter and I...we got him good.
Nicholas Clinch
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: naptimecafé
After reading the little handheld sizes many times, we now listen on Audible narrated by Katherine Kellgren. She has a lovely cadence, esp on The Tale of Mr. Tod! We also like the Tailor of Gloucester narrated by Meryl Streep because the music by the Chieftans makes it extra festive & enhances the Christmas vibe.
Kate
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall I greatly enjoyed these stories by Beatrix Potter of anthropomorphic creatures with anglophile mannerisms wearing turn of the century clothing. My only complaint was that all of the stories (except for my favorite which was Pigling Bland) ended rather abruptly. Some of them also had a strong moral ending which I found dissatisfying or a mean-spirited streak such as the Tale of Mr Tod.
Karen B
Aug 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Beatrix Potter remains one of my favourite authors. I discovered her tales when I was about 7 years old and have revisited her stories over and over. I love the illustrations in particular.

Having visited Beatrix Potter's Lake District I have become even more fascinated by her stories. The places in her tales remain largely unchanged even today.
Alyssa
Aug 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I simply loved Beatrix Potter books as a child. My favorite is "The Roly Poly Pudding". When we were kids, we had the complete volume of Beatrix Potter, little green books. Oh how I wish my mother had saved them for my boys! I did manage to get a similar volume off of Ebay, along with a Saucy doll because "Jim killed Saucy!".
Stacey
Dec 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with children or those interested in perfecting a British accent...
How do I love this book? Let me count the ways... Children of all ages adore it, the tales of peter rabbit (and friends) are incredibly clever, the illustrations are charming, and perhaps best of all it's fun reading these stories in a faux British accent (I'm actually getting quite good). A perfect little book!
Goodreads Librari...: Add cover and description 3 15 Apr 25, 2018 12:20PM

• The Complete Tales and Poems of Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh, #1-4)
  • The Real Mother Goose
  • Mad About Madeline: The Complete Tales
  • The Complete Adventures of Curious George
  • The Story of Babar
  • The Little Engine That Could
  • Little Bear's Friend
  • A Bear Called Paddington (Paddington, #1)
  • The Complete Book of the Flower Fairies
  • The Owl and the Pussycat
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Tawny Scrawny Lion
  • James Herriot's Treasury for Children: Warm and Joyful Tales by the Author of All Creatures Great and Small
  • A Child's Garden of Verses
  • Richard Scarry's Best Storybook Ever!
  • The Complete Brambly Hedge
Helen Beatrix Potter was an English author, illustrator, mycologist, and conservationist who is best known for her children's books, which featured animal characters such as Peter Rabbit.

Born into a wealthy household, Potter was educated by governesses and grew up isolated from other children. She had numerous pets, and through holidays in Scotland and the Lake District, developed a love of landsc
“I remember I used to half believe and wholly play with fairies when I was a child. What heaven can be more real than to retain the spirit-world of childhood, tempered and balanced by knowledge and common-sense.” 63 likes