Start by marking “Lord of the Keep (Medieval Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Lord of the Keep (Medieval Trilogy, #1)

Lord of the Keep

(Medieval Trilogy #1)

Lord of The Keep tells the tale of lovers who must overcome both class and age differences. Gilles d Argent is the 40-year-old lord of the manor. Emma is the young weaver he loves. Unfortunately, Emma was seduced some two years earlier by the castle Lothario, William Belfour, a young man in his early twenties.

Gilles first has to deal with the barrier of their social positi
Mass Market, 395 pages
Published December 1st 1999 by Love Spell

To ask other readers questions about Lord of the Keep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lord of the Keep

Nancy Steinle gummel
Lord of the Keep is the first book of Ann Lawrence that i have read and it wont be the last. Lawrence spins a fantastic tale. This started with a young girl, Emma, being hauled before the Lord of the Keep, Giles, on charges of fornication. She refuses to name her lover, William, though she sees him there. He is a knight and unknown to all, he is Giles's bastard son. One day, Emma was in the woods with her daughter, Angelique, when she is attacked by wild dogs. Giles saves her and passion ignites ...more
Greentea
May 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: historicals
DNF
I could not stomach the fact that Giles, the hero, is bedding Emma when his bastard son took her virginity. It's a father and son tandem in fighting for Emma's body. I just can't even.
Romancing the Book
Reviewed by Julie
Book provided by the publisher
Originally posted at Romancing the Book

Emma first meets Lord Gilles when her uncle drags her before him with the accusation she has lost her virtue and is most likely with child. This is Lord Gilles first day in this position and he feels sorry for Emma. She exchanged vows him a man that didn’t stand up for her now. Her uncle is furious that she has blown the chance to wed a man he picked for her. Lord Gilles sends them home to wait out the possibli
Marionela
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Изключително се радвам, че не живея в мрачното средновековие, в което една жена струва по-малко от добитък, няма право на глас, на мнение, на спокойствие.
Elizabeth Cole
Dec 13, 2012 rated it liked it
This is the first Ann Lawrence HR that I've read. It starts a bit slow, but there are plenty of twists and turns in the plot to keep you going. Emma (our heroine) foolishly allows a handsome knight to take her virginity and is shamed and outcast once she becomes pregnant. A couple of years later, she is rescued from an attack in the woods by the hero Gilles, the Lord of Hawkswatch. Romance ensues.

There were a few aspects of the characters that I really liked. First, Emma isn't a virgin, so there
Lover of Romance
Emma, once sworn her heart to a man she thought she loved who in return rejected their vows to each other, and their daughter, and now barely survives as a weaver until she meets Lord Gilles, who is the Lord over Hawkwatch Castle. Gilles, a powerful warrior and Lord, has already been married once and raised a son, and starts to think he is getting old, until he meets Emma who brightens his day with her smile, and makes him feel alive again and will do anything to have her in his bed, to show her ...more
Janice Hougland
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ms. Lawrence's Lord series is definitely a keeper. I read Lord of Swords first since it was the most recent in this series, but it was so good that I bought Ms. Lawrence's back list of the Lords series and started with the first one...this one. OMGosh! I am flabbergasted by this author's depth of detail and historical description! I truly feel like I am in the medieval era and witnessing everything in the story firsthand. What an exciting experience it was to read this book! I liked that Gilles, ...more
Cynthia
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: True fans of historical romance
Where to start.

Some would think this book "old fashioned" as it doesn't contain the in-your-face sex scenes or terminology. However, it's this language which has brought the genre where it is today.

LORD OF THE KEEP is beautifully written. The powerful story and multifaceted characters kept me reading well into the wee hours of the morning. The love between Gilles and Emma is hard won. They have to overcome many obstacles: jealousy, secrets, age, class, treachery, passion, death.

I did borrow this
Engineer19
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
i loved this book....this is the kind of book I'm looking for..i just loved every single page of this...
you don't have to wait for near end for the hero to acknowledge his feeling for the heroine, i think he confessed his love for the heroine near the middle of the book.
He is not an asshole and he is very much inlove with the heroine....

Claudia Staude
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
Total summer "junk reading" - and not a bad book til I hit the somewhat contrived plot ending. No spoilers but I found it rather predictable from that point on. Found the heroine, Emma, interesting and believable- the hero not quite so much.
Mel
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rereads:
23-28 October 2018
Alex
A bit of a lovely mess, convoluted and crazy but also lots and lots of fun!
Joey
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
Julie
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review will be posted on Romancing the Book blog soon!
Andreea Popa
Aug 29, 2011
Jaimey
Nov 22, 2008
« previous 1 3 next »
I love both reading and writing romance novels. I also love a really good mystery, so I like to include a puzzle for my readers to solve along with the characters. I'll confess to being a chocoholic, but that's my only confession.

I was born near Rochester Castle, and I blame that proximity for my love of England and English history. When not reading, writing, and researching romance, I'm living th

Medieval Trilogy (3 books)
  • Lord of the Mist (Medieval Trilogy, #2)
  • Lord of the Hunt (Medieval Trilogy, #3)