Start by marking “Funhouse” as Want to Read:
Funhouse

Funhouse (Point Horror #11)

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  1,283 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
When the Devil's Elbow roller coaster goes off track, killing one teenager and maiming two others, everyone thinks it's just an accident . . . except Tess. She saw someone tampering with the track. Then another "accident" occurs in the Funhouse and Tess may have been the intended victim.
Unknown Binding, 176 pages
Published August 8th 1996 by Scholastic (first published July 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Funhouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Funhouse

Sandra
Seventeen-year-old Tess Landers is hanging out with many school friends at the amusement park on The Boardwalk, in Santa Luisa, California. After she stops in the ladies restroom she comes back out and watches the rollercoaster go up the track (with three of her friends on board). To her horror she sees it fly off the track and crash before her eyes, killing and maiming many on board, including three of her friends. She tells the friends she’s with that she noticed someone that looked suspicious ...more
Matt Garcia
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the point horror novels and the like that I grew up reading. They always bring forth a rush of nostalgia and I remember reading this one in particular, several times. The cover is classic and looks awesome.
I love anything to do with clowns, carnivals, circuses, and amusement parks. They're my favorite settings and concepts for novels and films, particularly in the horror genre. Hoh uses the boardwalk setting effectively and I enjoyed her descriptions of all of its attractions, concession
Donna
There are few things more awesome than cheese and FUNHOUSE certainly fit that mould nicely. Not only that but I love reading un-updated works if for nothing more than the outdated styles of dress. Boys in cutoff jeans? Ha! But I remember it. Most of it would probably be pretty innocuous to the younger readers now simply because the descriptions aren't too detailed but every once in a while you'll get the little nugget of nostalgia that'll have you going 'yup.' Love it.

FUNHOUSE combines two of my
Jenelle
Oh Point horror books. These were my addiction when I was in junior high. For that reason, they don't have the best impression in my head, as far as books go. I love them, but I think of them as crap. I don't know why, because that really isn't true.

Funhouse IS decently written and a fun read, the mystery is as good as half the mystery books I read. I'm absolutely going to go back an read a bunch more of these books :)
Alex
I've been re-reading a lot of the Point Horror books lately and enjoying them, but this one was hard to read. To be honest, they're all a bit cheesy and/or full of plot holes, but it usually doesn't bother me too much since they're still fun to read. This one, not so much.

First off, the names were ridiculous - Doss, Beak and Guy-Joe? That's just a travesty. I mean come on - Guy-Joe??? Really?

Every chapter that was written through the killer's point of view was laughably bad. The killer's motiva
Quill Ampersand Key
It’s just another evening at the local Boardwalk for Tess and her friends… until the Devil’s Elbow roller coaster jumps off the tracks, with deadly results. Everyone thinks the derailed roller coaster was an accident. Everyone except Tess. She saw someone there, tinkering with the track. It wasn’t an accident––it was murder. And the killer isn’t done yet.

Though Funhouse was originally released prior to the launch of the Point Horror series, in my opinion, it’s the pinnacle of ’90s YA horror. Why
Angela
Thoroughly enjoyable reread.
The whole concept and plot of this book is complete nonsense of course (I mean, if you were planning on murdering people you would do so in a not so over-the-top fashion that would result in your capture and/or possible escape of the intended victims) but still very fun to read if you decide to gloss over the nonsensical storyline (like I've chosen to do).
One thing that really annoyed me however was the attitude of the police force and the men in this book. They wer
Rebecca McNutt
Funhouse was a pretty good book, not amazing or anything but it has its really great moments.
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
I remember reading this back in the day when I use to come home from school with book order forms.
Super fast re-read.
Kim
May 13, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Another teen horror novel whose cover was instantly familiar to me. Oh my gosh, the font for the title!!! So good.

This book was really silly and full of plot holes. But I am burying the lead . . . which is that there is a character named "Guy Joe." Seriously. Actually, it is Guy Joe, Jr., which means there is a Guy Joe, Sr. Guy Joe!!!!! For real.

The book starts with a pretty grim scene in which a roller coaster derails, killing and maiming several friends of the main character, Tess. But there's
Trisha
Hmm, weird. I could have sworn I'd put this on "currently reading" again, since I just re-read it!

This was one of the very first Point books my brother owned and so one of the first either of us read. Possibly the very first, though THE ACCIDENT also by Diane Hoh is up there as a candidate too. I just re-read it now, at the age of 31, and...I've got to say it was pretty cheesy. Some of the other Point books I've read are definitely much higher quality writing. This one had a good plot (or so I t
Tracy
I remember reading this sometime during high school, for fun of course. I bought it the night before me and my family were supposed to take a trip to visit Canadian relatives, so I should have been going to bed early to wake up early. But I recall staying up very late because I couldn't stop reading it. It's one of those "Point Chillers" from "my day" as a high school student. It's a creepy story about teenagers in and around an amusement park/ funhouse where accidents are occurring and people a ...more
Tazzie Dee
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Tess socializes with her friends at the Boardwalk where there is an amusement park with a variety of rides from the famous Devil’s Elbow rollercoaster to the creepy Funhouse. But someone is out for Tess and her friends and is rigging the rides to hurt them. After a couple of trips to the hospital and with the police doing nothing, Tess takes it upon herself to try and figure out who is behind the attacks. But Tess soon finds herself in mortal danger….facing the person she least expected….

I used
Ava Haine
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paperbacks-owned
I own a paperback but I can't find the version here in Goodreads so I chose to save this Audio version for my shelf.

For a stand alone pocketbook read, I find the story highly entertaining. You can actually see both sides of the story because the protagonist and antagonist's point of view is clearly depicted. The backstory is amazingly historical, in my mind it's like I was watching from an actual flashback scene of a film.

Funhouse is a good read, I gave it four stars because the twist is a litt
Taffey Champion
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book while on study abroad in London, England for Elon College, which is now Elon University. I always loved it as a cute and gripping Murder Mystery for young people. I actually believe it was my first Murder Mystery to read, but it will always be a fond favorite of mine.
Beatrice Longbottom
I love the Point Horror series for all of its 90s nostalgia and diet-horror-lite cheese. This one, however, wasn't totally enjoyable. The author revealed too much too early, making for one boring reading experience.
Jaime
A fun read when I was a young teen!
Annalisa Scamporrino
I loved this book as a kid! Recently re-read it in a fit on nostalgia.
Aurora Dimitre
Oh this was fun.

One of those, 1990 cheesy teen one of the friends is the killer but who is it? books, maybe not that great of quality (but to be honest, better than I was expecting), but definitely fun. One that definitely kept you guessing as to who the killer actually was, if you look at all of my updates you can see just how many times I changed my mind.

It was just fun, man. Nothing more to it.
katie lovatt
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it, great escape.
Ken
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
An enjoyable YA novel from the 90's, the main character Tess is convinced that there's more to the supposed 'accident' at the fairground and takes it upon herself to investigate further.
Jenn
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Predictable, but a good example of its time. Interesting premise.
Sati Marie Frost
It's funny, Funhouse was so full of holes and places that required great suspension of disbelief. Yet I really quite liked it. Maybe that's due to my nostalgia; Funhouse was one of the earliest Point Horror books I owned as a kid. (That said, The Fever was the first one I had, and was one of my favourites as a 9 and 10-year-old, yet my adult self didn't like it at all. So nostalgia doesn't account for everything.)

The basic plot points are as follows: Tess lives in a small coastal town along with
Roberta R. (Offbeat YA)
Excerpt from my review - originally published at Offbeat YA.

Pros: Clean, short book - an easy introduction to the genre for young, reluctant readers. No graphic descriptions...but see below.
Cons: Lacks substance. Requires suspension of disbelief on many levels. The outcome of the first "incident" might upset some youngsters.
Will appeal to: Those who are new to thrillers and mysteries.

Sort-of-disclaimer: I read the Italian translation of this book, so I can't really judge the writing style. Also
Tina
Sep 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such an 80s/early 90s book.

Let me be clear: that's not a bad thing. As a child of the 90s, books like these were a staple of my pre-teen and teenage years. And I'll admit that I picked this book up purely for nostalgic reasons. I was also curious to see if it would stand the test of time, as I loved the Nightmare Hall series growing up.

Unfortunately, this book is one that I think belongs in the past. If you have read it before, I wouldn't suggest reading it again. If, like me, you neve
Leah
Sep 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teen fans of softcore dark fiction
Rating: 4 of 5

Funhouse was among the many Point Horror books I read in the 90s, between the ages of 12 to 16. These stories always thrilled and entertained, and yes, there was a healthy dose of jumps and creepies.

Nowadays, I'd recommend the Point Horror books for younger 12- to 15-year-olds, who want to dip their pinkie toe in the horror pool. (These books will likely fall short for anyone who's already dabbled in adult dark fiction or film.) The horror elements are mild, for the most part, th
Watermelon Daisy
FIRST IMPRESSION:
This is a book I own, seeing as I bought it from a second-hand store.

WRITING STYLE:
One of the most thrilling writing styles yet. Perfect for the book.

PLOT:
Diane is one of those writers who go with the least suspicious suspect -and somehow, it gets my breathing racing every she does. Amazing writing here.

CHARACTERS:
All the characters are amazing, and I love Tess. A solid, wonderful main character.

OVERALL:
One of the best suspense/mystery/horror/thriller books I've ever read.

AMOUNT
Sara
Dec 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remembered reading this book, probably in Middle School and re-read it for my re-readers book club.

The only thing I could remember about this book was something about plates in a Funhouse being removed, and someone falling through. My memory served me correct on that detail, but luckily I had forgotten most of the plot points including the twist. It is a cheesy, but fun horror book for kids and teens, and the nostalgia factor made it a delightful read.
Patrick Ellard
Jul 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: point-horror
Solid entry into the Point Horror series by Diane Hoh, one of the series staple writers. It's not a particularily original book in that it's your typcial who dunnit killer plot but it's written very well with diary entries and chapters dedicated to the killers thoughts that it is slightly different usual books of this type. It's a little predictble and some of the main characters are incrdibly stupid but it's still well worth the read.
Allyse Near
Haha, this is one of the first chapter books I can remember reading - it freaked me out terribly and the story's stuck with me my whole life, like that moment in your childhood when when you catch a glimpse from a doorway/between fingers/from behind the couch of a horror movie that you weren't supposed to see, didn't mean to see, and now it's seared in your brain forever.
  • April Fools (Point Horror, #7)
  • My Secret Admirer (Point Horror, #4)
  • Mother's Helper (Point Horror, #14)
  • The Cheerleader (Point Horror, #18)
  • Beach Party (Point Horror, #8)
  • The Waitress
  • Prom Dress
  • The Phantom
Diane Hoh is the author of fifty-seven novels for young adults. She grew up in Warren, Pennsylvania but currently resides in Austin, Texas. Reading and writing are her favorite things, also gardening and grandchildren.
More about Diane Hoh...

Point Horror (1 - 10 of 124 books)
  • Blind Date (Point Horror, #1)
  • Twisted (Point Horror, #2)
  • The Lifeguard (Point Horror, #3)
  • My Secret Admirer (Point Horror, #4)
  • The Baby-Sitter (The Baby-Sitter, #1; Point Horror, #5)
  • Trick or Treat (Point Horror, #6)
  • Party Line
  • Prom Dress
  • April Fools (Point Horror, #7)
  • Beach Party (Point Horror, #8)