Start by marking “The Tale of Peter Rabbit” as Want to Read:
The Tale of Peter Rabbit

The Tale of Peter Rabbit

(The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  202,303 ratings  ·  1,993 reviews
In this original edition, Peter and his sisters are told to go gather blackberries and not to go into MacGregor's garden because Peter's father was made into a pie by MacGregor after being found in the garden. Peter, who is wearing a new coat, promptly disobeys his mother, stuffs himself with vegetables, gets spotted by MacGregor, loses his coat and barely makes it out of ...more
Published March 7th 2002 by Warne (first published December 16th 1901)

To ask other readers questions about The Tale of Peter Rabbit, please sign up.
Patsy Parker Of course! It is a great tale about a disobedient bunny and his consequences for his disobedience!
Lisbeth Solberg These were some of the earliest books written, illustrated, and published just for children. They are small because they are child-sized.

·  202,303 ratings  ·  1,993 reviews

Start your review of The Tale of Peter Rabbit
Miranda Reads
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
description

Once upon a time there was four litter Rabbits, and their names were - Flopsy, Mopsy, Cotton-tail, and Peter.
Old Mrs. Rabbit has to run a few errands and has to leave her children home, alone, for a few hours.

Before she goes, she makes sure to clearly tell them:
"...you may go into the fields or down the lane, but don't go into Mr. McGregor's garden."
And so the girls, being good little girls, listen to their mother and go to pick blackberries for the family.

Peter...on the other
Bionic Jean
The Tale of Peter Rabbit is the first in a series of delightful children's books by Beatrix Potter. There are twenty-three of these “little Tales” about woodland animals (who are, of course, little people in disguise, as they wear clothes and behave exactly as their human counterparts would).

This first tale about a mischievous little rabbit called Peter, is perhaps the most famous of all. Unlike some of the others, it does not seem to have dated much at all. Most children today will recognise a
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Tale of Peter Rabbit (The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit), Beatrix Potter

The story focuses on a family of anthropomorphic rabbits. The widowed mother rabbit keeps her four rabbit children, Flopsy, Mopsy, Cottontail and Peter from entering the vegetable garden of a man named Mr. McGregor.

Her triplets (Flopsy, Mopsy and Cottontail) obediently refrain from entering the garden, but Peter enters the garden to snack on some vegetables.

Peter ends up eating more than what is good for him an
Alex
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Peter Rabbit breaks the social contract by eating his neighbor’s vegetables. As Peter is hounded for his crimes, he rapidly loses the trappings of society - his shoes and his clothes - until he’s returned to his primal animal state, naked, shivering, driven out, an anthropomorphized JG Ballard. He can’t find the gate that will lead him from the garden of sin back to his safe home. After he finally escapes, he’s ostracized by his family and hung in effigy in the garden as a warning.

Beatrix Potte
~The Bookish Redhead~
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
The tale of Peter Rabbit, is the first book in this beloved series, written by Beatrix Potter. This children's series will never get old with me. I remember my parents reading them to me as a child, and I loved looking at the delightful illustrations as they read them to me. This particular book, is probably the most famous of all, as we all know about and love that mischievous little rabbit! I also appreciate that there is an important moral to be learned, too.
I think the attention to detail i
Michael Finocchiaro
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
All of the Beatrix Potter stories are wonderful but this little one of this mischievous little rabbit who is naughty! So cute, and a great introduction to the beautiful world that Potter created. I think that this may be my favourite one actually. And naturally, my kids LOVED it when they were younger.
Ahmed  Ejaz
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories, 2017
This story reminds me my childhood. I still remember I used to do things from which my mama forbades me. Just like Peter rabbit. Her mother tells him not to go to Mr. McGregor's farm. But as he is a naughty rabbit, He still goes and faces troubles.

I liked the names of four rabbits:
Flopsy, Mopsy, Cotton-tail, and Peter. Aren't they cute? Especially first two. (^_^)

March 3, 2017
Duane
Peter Rabbit almost finds himself in a Mrs. McGregor's pie, just like his father.
Annet
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, classics
Sweet little story, gorgeous drawings! Can't believe I haven't read the Beatrix Potter stories earlier....
Manny
Inspired by Ramblefoot , a gritty, naturalistic, no-holds-barred depiction of the lives of wolves, I couldn't help wondering if similar treatments weren't possible for other classics. Here's an extract from my draft rabbit novel, provisionally entitled Nojacket:
Peter finished his breakfast, but the insipid, cloying taste of the dead dandelion leaves left him unsatisfied. The craving was starting to build up in him again. He needed to veg out. Suddenly, he started as a voice came from right be
Isa Lavinia
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
'Now my dears,' said old Mrs. Rabbit one morning, 'you may go into the fields or down the lane, but don't go into Mr. McGregor's garden: your Father had an accident there; he was put in a pie by Mrs. McGregor.'

( º_º )

(⊙︿⊙)

Adita ✨The Slumbering Insomniac✨
★★★★★★★★☆☆[8/10]

Legendary names-

Flopsy aka good kid
Mopsy aka good kid
Cotton-tail aka good kid
Peter Peter the Urchin aka Hot-headed Kid aka SOS-sending, always-in-a-pickle kid.

Ken
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Peter alongside sisters Flopsy, Mopsy and Cottontail are expressly told not to visit Mr. McGregor's garden, especially as their father met his fateful end.
Whilst the girls follow their mothers orders, Pefer can't resist to take a look.
He too almost comes unstuck while feeding on the vegetables.

Beatrix Potters most famous creation is such a timeless classic, the story is simple and short and even though Peter is clearly in the wrong - you cant help but fall for his cheeky disobedient charm.

Illust
Himanshu Karmacharya
Jul 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-s
It is one of those stories that will make you want to wish you'd read it as a child, not because you won't enjoy it as an adult, but because the story would stay with you for a longer period of time in the long run.
Stephanie Anze
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Flopsy, Mopsy, Cottontail and Peter Rabbit are allowed to explore but are warned by their mother that they are not to go into Mr. McGregor's garden. All but Peter Rabbit heed her advice for that is the first place he chooses to explore. Once Mr. McGregor spots Peter, a chase ensues. Oh, what a naughty rabbit!

This is the first time I have read a Beatrix Potter book. What a cute and adorable gem this is. The illustrations compliment the print beautifully. Given that I read quite a bit of historica
Annamaria
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-english
Once upon a time there were four little Rabbits,
and their names were— Flopsy, Mopsy, Cotton-tail, and Peter.

Imagine having a little sibling called Cotton-tail and you're just... Peter.

Update #2 from my quarantined self: my parents have decided to watch the Miss Potter movie out of the blue? They've been binge watching Criminal Minds for a week straight, I guess it gets to you eventually and makes you crave for something cute and sweet hence me getting curious because juST LOOK!!
LOOK AT THIS ABS
Ankit Saxena
Good to read being a child and to tell tale to children. Nice funny moments while reading it. Kindergarten must really enjoy it to the fullest.
Brad
Nov 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
So I think Manny and Beth-Ann have it spot on. Peter Rabbit dies in this book, and his escape is a moment-of-death fantasy. Peter is the Peyton Farquhar of kids books.

Farquhar, for those who don't remember, is the Alabama Confederate (gentleman farmer / non-combatant) from Ambrose Bierce's An Occurence on Owl Creek Bridge. He's strung up to a railroad bridge to be hanged by the Union soldiers, but his rope breaks and he pulls of a miraculous escape, only to have his escape end with him still on
Stephanie Tara
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Why do we read certain children's books—and remember them all the days of our lives?

I know for me...there is something about the sweet, safe, cozy place, that these classic books occupy in memory, short term - and long term memory, for I can truly declare that I have recalled the lines of Beatrix Potter at many times in my life, high school mid terms, college finals, marriage vows (yep!) and I now deeply know that the simple perfect truths bestowed in these adorable books, whether in rhyme or no
Sabera
Dec 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
One of the first books I remember being bought as a child was The Tale of Peter Rabbit and having read it many times it has become a favourite! It tells the story of a mischievous rabbit who, against his mother’s advice, decides to venture into Mr McGregor’s Garden. Peter eats his way through a variety of foods in Mr McGregor’s garden before he is caught by the farmer and what ensue are his attempts to escape from the garden!
The story carries a strong theme of the consequences of not following i
Nandakishore Varma
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
After reading Traveller's review of The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle, I remembered that this book was the first ever children's book I read - in translation (Peter was called "Chinnan"). There was a much-loved poem I used to recite (I still remember it!)

അരുതെന്നമ്മ പറഞ്ഞിട്ടും
വികൃതികള്‍ കാട്ടിയ ചിന്നന്ന്
പെരുതായമളി പിണഞ്ഞൊരു
ചരിതം കേള്‍ക്കൂ കുട്ടികളേ!

(Children! Listen to the story of Chinnan, who despite his mother's advice, did a lot of mischief and got into big trouble!)

This poem is not there in th
GoldGato
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I now have THREE different editions of Mr. Peter Rabbit's mischievous adventures, with this version part of an overall audio/book package. Apparently, Meryl Streep is the narrator for the audio portion. I only have the book itself and that is just fine.

This volume is a bit different as the Beatrix Potter illustrations are not used. Instead, the artwork is by David Jorgensen, who uses coloured-pencil drawings of Peter and Mrs. Rabbit and Mr. McGregor. This gives the story a slightly different sla
Kira Simion
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
When I was about 5, my mother bought me a tea set with this story on it. Each cup and tiny plate and teapot had a line of this book on it.

I only have two teacups and the teapot left.
Katy
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A lovely story and wonderful illustrations.
K
Mar 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
description

This identification dramatically instills fear and tension in the reader, and interacts with the frequently distanced voice of the verbal narrative, sometimes with contradictory effects.

To me Potter is inconsistent in the use of contradictory effects in the word-picture interaction. For example, in the illustration of Peter standing by the locked door, the verbal narrative describes the scene without the flippancy evident in the moment of the sieve. The inability to overcome obstacles is present
Christy
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
The farmer Mr. McGregor almost got the better of poor Peter Rabbit. He had quite the adventure, including munching on veggies and running from a man whose wife might have made him into pie if he caught the rabbit! Oh the horror! I like a few of the other Beatrix Potter books more but this one is still a sweet read. Great illustrations too.
Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*
I used to read this one often. The charming British touch kept it fascinating, Peter Rabbit was adorable, there was tension and suspense, a moral message, and an awesome ending. Perfect for children and hard to forget.
Shirley Revill
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pets, kids, animals, children
If you have children then I don't think you can go far wrong with these wonderful books by Beatrix Potter. A firm favourite on my bookshelf. Recommended.
Prisly(Noor)
Jul 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Soooo.. Cute.... 😍
Manny
Jan 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Some people like to find creative readings of books and films which hinge on interpreting key parts as dream sequences. A well-known example is The Piano, where it's reasonable to argue that Ada actually drowns. On this reading, the last few minutes are her dying fantasies as she floats deep underwater, helplessly trapped by the weight of the piano. The last thing you see is indeed her drowned body twisting in the current, and it's not clear which is dream and which is reality.

Beth Ann and I wer
mischief 1 1 Mar 26, 2020 09:13AM
Goodreads Librari...: Add missing book cover 1 11 Mar 25, 2020 12:20AM
Infused Skin Serum 1 1 Oct 11, 2019 03:59AM
Evil eye protection for home +91-7740834666 in london 1 1 May 06, 2019 01:10AM
How do you know if someone put roots on you+91-7740834666 in london 1 2 May 06, 2019 12:24AM

• Goodnight Moon
  • The Cat in the Hat
  • Corduroy
  • The Rainbow Fish
  • The Lorax
  • Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
  • How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
  • One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish
  • Dr. Seuss's Green Eggs and Ham: For Soprano, Boy Soprano, and Orchestra
  • Green Eggs and Ham
Helen Beatrix Potter was an English author, illustrator, mycologist, and conservationist who is best known for her children's books, which featured animal characters such as Peter Rabbit.

Born into a wealthy household, Potter was educated by governesses and grew up isolated from other children. She had numerous pets, and through holidays in Scotland and the Lake District, developed a love of landsc

The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin
  • The Tailor of Gloucester
  • The Tale of Benjamin Bunny
  • The Tale of Two Bad Mice
  • The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle
  • The Tale of the Pie and the Patty-Pan
  • The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher (Rabbit Ears)
  • The Story of A Fierce Bad Rabbit
  • The Story of Miss Moppet
  • The Tale of Tom Kitten

News & Interviews

“Peter was not very well during the evening. His mother put him to bed, and made some chamomile tea: "One table-spoonful to be taken at bedtime.” 27 likes
“I am sorry to say that Peter was not very well during the evening.

His mother put him to bed, and made some camomile tea; and she gave a dose of it to Peter!

'One table-spoonful to be taken at bed-time.'

But Flopsy, Mopsy, and Cotton-tail had bread and milk and blackberries for supper.”
9 likes