Start by marking “This Is Ridiculous This Is Amazing: Parenthood in 71 Lists” as Want to Read:
This Is Ridiculous This Is Amazing: Parenthood in 71 Lists

This Is Ridiculous This Is Amazing: Parenthood in 71 Lists

Author and family man Jason Good delivers a laugh-out-loud reminder that everything is easier and more fun when approached with a sense of humor—especially parenting. Each list captures a perfect (or perfectly terrible) aspect of parenthood while wholeheartedly embracing every moment: "You Deserve a Break" offers ideas for downtime, such as giving blood and untangling cord ...more
Published May 13th 2014 by Chronicle Books (first published April 18th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about This Is Ridiculous This Is Amazing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Is Ridiculous This Is Amazing

jess
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
This is a solid 2-star read. There are many cliche jokes about the tyranny of toddlers, which actually are funny if you haven't slept in 2 years and you are living the dream, but maybe not funny to anyone else. There are entire chapters about tired gender norms and roles, which is just exhausting and mind-numbing. I mean, I recognize that the hallmark of a feminist in her 30s is mounting frustration with the complete lack of incremental change in people's lived lives, but come on. Moms can and d ...more
Susan Bazzett-Griffith
This is a funny book of lists about life as a parent. Most hit the mark, while a couple made my feminist eyebrows raise. Perfect for bathroom reading or as a book for moms too busy or tired toread in the two minutes they may get to themselves each day because most chapters avwrage about 13 sentences and will make them smile or giggle. Three stars because it's a little too insubstantial to award a 4th, not because I didn't enjoy it.
Guinevere Mare
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Got my hands on an advance of Jason Good's forthcoming book and read it on a flight home for the holidays. I was laughing out loud the whole way through. Without children, some of the gallows humor might be lost on you, but any parent who can appreciate the fierce loathing a three-year-old has for pants will love it. The self-proclaimed "parenting spirit animal" made holiday travel with a small child actually enjoyable--no small feat.
Sylvester
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Maybe only parents of toddlers will find this funny. I laughed and snorted till the tears ran down my face. The truth is funny. The problem with parenting is that I take it too seriously. I think I can do it right if I study and worry at it enough. But I've realized that all I can expect for sure is that I'm going to be a bad parent. What I really need in all this, is to see how ridiculous it is. To laugh my butt off at myself and everyone like me, and let it go, let it be. Thanks, Jason. I laug ...more
Greg Hodgson-Fopp
Jun 25, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Go to the google homepage, type in "Silly Parenthood Lists". Your results list will be more entertaining than this book. In my opinion, the author did not contribute anything particularly funny, meaningful or new to the genre that Buzzfeed and various Mommy-Blogs haven't already covered.
Kim Bongiorno
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Here’s why you should buy this book: People like Jason Good deserve to get paid to be professional writers. This guy is funny—absolutely—but he’s also modeling what it’s like to be a good human being (and we need more of that these days). He’s a loving dad with a great sense of humor, an understanding husband who doesn’t undervalue his partner. As someone who has been a parent for nine years, myself, I’ve found that family life can be summed up perfectly with Good’s own words: “…even suffering i ...more
Jen Mann
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was lucky enough to receive an advance copy of this book and I've been laughing ever since it arrived in my box. Each one of Jason's lists is better than the last, but my favorite is "Baby Wipes Forever," because my kids are well past the diaper age, but I still buy baby wipes in bulk, because I can use them for everything! Do yourself a favor and get this book and then get two more for some friends of yours.
Pamela
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was hilarious! I definitely recommend it to any friends that have kids under the age of 5! It would be a great "stocking stuffer" for a spouse, for sure! It is written as a series of lists, making it super easy to pick up and put down as you're taking care of your own little ones. Very fun!
Evan
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
The lists of "Things You'll No Longer Need," "Things You'll No Longer Do," and "The New and Wonderful New Things You'll Get to Do" are VERY ACCURATE.
Pat Elvidge
Nov 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
this book is laugh out loud funny and for parents who admit things dont always go to plan bringing up children its a must read.five stars and worth every star !!!!
Danica Midlil
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Laughed so hard that tears were pouring down my face and I had to cross my legs to keep from peeing. That's pretty damn funny.
Mari Rydings
Jul 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you are a parent with a sense of humor who isn't afraid to admit the way you REALLY parent at times, then you will love this little book. I laughed out loud so many times!
Chris
Jun 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: For parents who love being parents
This fun little book adds a nice humor to the pains of parenting. Anyone with little children running around will tell you that trying to understand the world of children can be a difficult challenge and if you try to figure it out on a literal sense, even the child will think you are crazy for thinking that. Whats funny is that when a parent says back what a child just says, it sounds weird and confusing and very unreal, but ask a child what they said and it is very real and true. "Dad, my panc ...more
Lisa
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very cute.
Lorilin
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting, arc
I read this book while strapped to The Pump, with my 4-year old and 2-year old wailing on each other in the other room and my 3-month old screaming from his bouncy seat right next to me...and I have to say that this book made me feel so, so much better about life.

I don't consider myself someone who readily laughs out loud at books (especially at this point in my uber-stressed life), but this book had me honest-to-god, from-the-belly laughing. Jason Good is funny. And you're going to have to be a
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
The only reason this doesn't get five stars is because it's likely not universally funny. If you're not a parent, you probably won't relate to some of the in-the-trenches humor. But fortunately, since I am a parent, I thought it was hilarious. And now my husband is reading it. We both read before bed, and we've both kept the other one awake by laughing out loud over and over at this. The honesty is so refreshing. Like the intro to the "Understanding Your Co-Parent" chapter quote: "All you really ...more
Jenni V.
Sep 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Is it just a given that all the authors of these fun little books that catch my eye at the library have a blog I haven't heard of? Because that seems to be a trend and this book is no exception. Since I haven't read his blog, I can't say if the book material is new or how it compares; it's all new to me.

I chuckled at pretty much every list and it was a quick, cute read that helped me pass the time while waiting for kids.

A Few Quotes from the Book

"Have you ever...Yelled, "No Yelling!" ~ from the
Corielle Hayley
Aug 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Thank you, whoever reviewed this one for CBR. It made an excellent change after I finished two depressing books in a row!
"The mere suggestion that one can be prepared for parenthood is preposterous, but there are a few things you should know. Let me be clear: None of this advice will make your ridiculous life any easier, but at least you won't end up feeling alone (or wind up needing your retina attached)."

I have two boys under the age of 6, and I spend a lot of time either laughing at them behi
Heather
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Hilarious and strikes a chord. I actually encountered one of Jason Good's lists before on the internet - it is republished here as "Reasons Your Toddler Might Be Freaking Out." Every single one of them resonated and I laughed until I cried - and reposted on Facebook.

That list is still the best one in the book, but the others are almost as funny.

As tribute, I submit my own list of
Ways Our Child Protects Us From Intruders

-There is a minefield of legos on the living room floor. Legos are invisib
Aug 17, 2014 rated it liked it
On the upside, this book was a quick read, and a couple lists did have me rolling with laughter. Overall, though, I was disappointed. Half the lists were simply amusing, and the other half left me just sitting there thinking, "Uh... Ok..." Maybe it's because I'm a mom reading a book by a dad. Or maybe it's the city vs country. (He's never seen a woman mowing or using a grill and finds the thought comical?! What?!) Either way, something was off, and I found myself finishing the book just because ...more
Meg
Dec 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, arc
This review is based on an ARC provided to me by the publisher.

Get ready to laugh. Jason Good confesses the truths of parenting in a series of charming and hysterical lists. From "How to Defend Yourself Against a Toddler Attack" (falcon gloves) to "Baby Wipes Forever" (cleaning mulch off a hot dog) this book is full of gems. Due to be published in June, this will make a great gift for Father's Day.
Janet
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, ebooks, one-day-reads
A very funny collection I will recommend to nearly all my friends with young kids. As a longtime nanny/babysitter, I identified with nearly every page even though I don't have kids of my own. Some of the content seemed like a stretch, as of the author was trying to hit a required page minimum. But, overall, it's quite solid. Highly recommended for parents.
Timothy
Lots of fun. Great to pick up for q quick chuckle and then move on. No plot or coherence in which to get mired down. Just straight jokes with an ounce of touching reality. My one complaint is that some of the lists were misogynistic to the point of being off putting. I found myself cringing and moving past on a few occasions. Overall enjoyable though.
Catherine
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
After the first 3 or 4 lists I thought I might be disappointed by this book, but then things got rolling. Many of the lists had me laughing out loud. There were some misses, but they were few and over quickly.

A great book for anyone with toddlers and/or preschoolers. Or anyone who remembers having toddlers or preschoolers.
Elizabeth
May 24, 2014 rated it liked it
A few of these lists made me laugh till I cried, a lot of them were funny and recognizable, and some weren't particularly funny and/or I didn't really get the point. Overall I enjoyed it, but felt like it didn't live up to its billing, I was expecting to laugh from start to finish but that wasn't the case.
Sarah Beaudette
Feb 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Perfect gift for any parent, esp of toddlers. Laughed so hard I cried at some parts, husband and I read it to one another aloud, and we're not really those kind of people. You know, the kind of people who read books aloud to anyone other than children. Makes you feel better about not being a perfect parents, and is simply hilarious.
Laurie Prim
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-loved
Read this book if you have kids anywhere from age, say, 2 to 9, and want to pee in your pants laughing. Not only did I, but I actually read parts of it out loud with my kids (8 and 3) one night, and we all did together—it was awesome! Jason Good is hi-larious! - See more at: http://laurieprim.com/index.php/categ...
Elizabeth A
Jul 29, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2014
All I can figure as I look at the rave reviews this book gets is that I am not a parent so I just don't get it. This is a book of lists: How to Defend Yourself Against a Toddler Attack, Reasons to Avoid the Beach, The Five Perils of International Travel, etc. I did not even crack a smile. OK, I did giggle a couple of times at Use Your Best Kindergarten Spelling, but other than that? Nada.
Kris
Jan 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wavered between 2 and 3 stars for this book. Overall, it was okay with some really funny parts. It kind of felt like a compilation of some of those Buzzfeed parenting lists that crop up on Facebook. Some good, some dumb, some funny.
Lisa
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
I read this in just one sitting basically, after seeing it on a bloggers parenting to-read list. It was just ok. I hate books about parenting that basically want to convince you your life as you know it it is over. This was about 75% of that.
  • The Mommy Shorts Guide to Remarkably Average Parenting
  • Lake Effect
  • Parenting: Illustrated with Crappy Pictures
  • Afterbirth: Stories You Won't Read in a Parenting Magazine
  • Awkward Family Pet Photos
  • Leaving China: An Artist Paints His World War II Childhood
  • Be Happy or I'll Scream!: My Deranged Quest for the Perfect Husband, Family, and Life
  • The Mommy Group: Freaking Out, Finding Friends, and Surviving the Happiest Time of Our Lives
  • Confessions of the World's Best Father
  • STFU, Parents: The Jaw-Dropping, Self-Indulgent, and Occasionally Rage-Inducing World of Parent  Overshare
  • Tender Hooks: Poems
  • CraftFail: When Homemade Goes Horribly Wrong
  • Reasons Mommy Drinks
  • Mommies Who Drink: Sex, Drugs, and Other Distant Memories of an Ordinary Mom
  • The House That Pinterest Built
  • Bad Bridesmaid: Bachelorette Brawls and Taffeta Tantrums--Tales from the Front Lines
  • iRules: What Every Tech-Healthy Family Needs to Know about Selfies, Sexting, Gaming, and Growing Up
  • Geek Mom: Projects, Tips, and Adventures for Moms and Their 21st-Century Families
“on fire or baking a prune cake. Actually, I am talking about those things. Here are some more. If you’re high right now you might not “get” this. And look, I know that LEGAL” 0 likes