Start by marking “Mouse's First Halloween” as Want to Read:
Mouse's First Halloween

Mouse's First Halloween (Mouse's Firsts)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  290 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Join Mouse on a spooky fall night. He hears bats flying, leaves falling, and children singing, "Trick or Treat!" What can it mean? Find the answer in this sturdy board book edition of the best-selling picture book.
Board Book, 34 pages
Published September 1st 2003 by Little Simon (first published September 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Mouse's First Halloween, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mouse's First Halloween

midnightfaerie
A book my 5 yr old as well as my twin 3 yr olds loved. A solid reading level 1 book, this cute story keeps all ages engaged with the bright colorful pictures and cute story. A great addition to any children's library.
Consuelo
"Mouse's First Halloween" by Lauren Thompson is a delightful story for young readers. Mouse hears scary sounds as he creeps about on a spooky night. As he walk about he hears "something flying, something moving, and something flapping." Mouse said, "What could it be?" This predictable crescendo of "What could it be?" leads the young reader to wonder and predict who or what is making the noise. The illustrations by Buket Erdogan help the reader to predict what will happen next. "What could it be? ...more
Amanda
I chose to read this book because it looked like it would be a good book to read in a preschool or kindergarten classroom. After reading it for myself, my thoughts on it were right. The book is well written and teaches the lesson that just because something seems like it might be scary, it might not actually be. Meaning that not everything is as it seems. This is a good lesson to teach young children, especially around Halloween time when everyone is in costumes.
Monster
Mouse’s First Halloween won’t inspire fear, but when you read it aloud, it might make your toddler jump. Thompson offers a suspenseful setup, “Deep in the shadows/Mouse saw something flickering”, then breaks the tension with Mouse’s frightened squeak. Turn the page and the author reveals that the mystery is “not so scary after all”. It’s pretty clear from Mouse’s friendly appearance that this isn’t going to be a book to terrify, but Erdogan uses dark colors and outlines effectively to engage the ...more
Jane
This is a great Halloween book for younger children that don't want to be frightened by this holiday. Mouse does get spooked in the book (crying "Squeak!" which my daughter loved to echo) but then he finds out whatever it was is "not so scary after all."
Heidi
Definitely NOT one for Book Time. Perfect for PreK, even toddler. The pictures are so cute it is impossible for this book to be scary. And the story is simple and cute as well. Good for really young children who might have some Halloween fears. A good fall book, too, with the leaves and apples.

10/26/10 & 10/28/10 This worked well for both groups even with the minuscule numbers on Tue. and huge numbers on Thu. I think they loved the squeaking. And, yes, I make a good squeaking sound, thank yo
great pictures. a nice read for young kids.
Slee
If the prospect of rhyming all with all, or perhaps just repeating it over and over again, doesn't turn you off, then this is a fun little Halloween book to read little ones. It does a good job of setting them up for a fright, then explaining the creepy and spooky sounds and shapes as mundane things that only seem spooky because of their environment. Today's story hour kids seemed to enjoy it, but the that's all/after all wasn't the most comfortable mouthful or earful for me.
Clifton
This is a wonderful story for the little ones. The author takes you on an adventure with Mouse on Halloween night. The use of sounds helps build up the suspense as to what Mouse is encountering. It is not very scary for young children, but can help teach that noises are not to be feared.

Each year my kids get excited around Halloween because they know dad is going to get this story down from the shelf. "EEEK! What can it be!"
Library
A cute introduction to Fall and Halloween. Mouse hears a sound and only partially sees the object. On each page, the reader uses the picture and sound clues to guess what the object could be. A perfect book for preschool Halloween storytime.
Jess
Oct 25, 2010 Jess rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: preschool / K
Mouse keeps hearing scary sounds, but learns they are only fall/Halloween things and "That's all. Not to scary after all."

Decent, not scary Halloween book for preschool. Enjoyed the book, but the trick-or-treater phrase/poem at the end is awkward and I dislike ending it the story with it.
Paula
Cute story that first shows what mouse it is afraid of but the next page shows that it is not scary after all.
"One spooky night in the fall, Mouse creeps out and hears bats flying flit! flit! flit! and apples dropping plop! plop! plop! and children singing 'trick or treat!' What could it be?"
Aleece
A very creative way for kids to be a little scared by the weird noises but with a "eeek" of the mouse it is revealed what it really is. There is so much that could be done with this book in storytime with the kids making the noises and eeeking like the mouse. Can't wait to use this.
Sydney
I like the Mouse's First books as do my kids. There is a pattern to them that they enjoy because it is a predictable book. They love the sound effects and get excited because they "know" what the text says. It's a great Halloween book for read alouds.
Emerson
"Eeeeek", cries the mouse!! Emerson 'reads' that part on each page.
This is a "not so scary after all" style of book. Teaching that things can startle you or try to be scary but that Halloween is not really all the scary and that it's fun!
Maggie KutsBorg
If I decide to do a Halloween storytime - which is a big IF, I usually don't do any holidays at all - this would be a nice choice. The items highlighted aren't all Halloween specific, only the jack o' lantern and trick or treaters are.
Meredith
Mouse celebrates his first Halloween by discovering bats, fallen leaves, a scarecrow, an apple, kittens, a jack-o-latern, and trick-or-treaters. With all of Mouse's typical sweetness, this is a good non-scary Halloween selection.
Susan
A good not really scary but a few eensy shivers choice for the younger set. The reasurring "not so scary after all" refrain is just perfect for the little ones and the warm saturated autumn colors in the art really set the mood.
Kayla
This was a super cute book... its about a little mouse taking a journey on Halloween night trying to figure out what all those scary sounds are. He finds that its nothing scary after all... super super cute.
Rosanna
A fun little book with the sights and sounds of Halloween and autumn. My 2 y/o daughter enjoyed looking at the pictures and making up her own story for what was going on in the book.
Kristina
Cute, with good actions and some modifications. Halloween books aren't something I normally read at Story Time, but this one worked out well.
Michelle
Lovely illustrations.
The book follows a mouse's reactions to it's first Halloween.
A good bed time read.
Lauren
The kids really loved guessing what the animal or object was that the illustrator gives you a piece of.
M
Beautifully written and illustrated book! Gave the book to my friend for her granddaughters.
Melissa
Great story to introduce toddlers to Halloween. Also fun to read with a group of small children.
Bridget
Little mouse thought that he was afraid of Halloween, but finds out that he isn't.
Kim
sweet story with sweet illustrations

themes: bravery, mice, Halloween
K
T enjoys books where you guess what something will be on the next page.
Jaime
My 3 year old love all these mouse board books by this author!
  • Pumpkin Eye
  • The Night Before Halloween
  • Los Gatos Black on Halloween
  • Where's My Mummy?
  • Ghosts in the House!
  • 10 Trick-or-Treaters
  • Scaredy-Cat, Splat!
  • Just Say Boo!
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • Shake Dem Halloween Bones
  • Inside a House That is Haunted
  • Pumpkin Pumpkin
  • We're Off to Find the Witch's House
  • Thanks for Thanksgiving
  • Early Bird
  • The Legend of Spookley the Square Pumpkin (with CD)
  • In the Haunted House

• Mouse's First Summer
  • Mouse's First Spring
  • Mouse's First Snow
  • Mouse's First Fall
Little Quack The Christmas Magic Polar Bear Night Mouse's First Fall The Apple Pie That Papa Baked