Start by marking “Christmas in Noisy Village” as Want to Read:
Christmas in Noisy Village

Christmas in Noisy Village

(Barnen i Bullerbyn #4)

Let the beloved author of Pippi Longstocking take you on an adventure to Noisy Village!

The noisy children of three neighboring families are celebrating the season by baking cookies, cutting and decorating trees, eating fruitcake and tarts, and opening Christmas gifts. With illustrations by Ilon Wikland, the master storyteller Astrid Lindgren takes us through Christmas in t
Published October 29th 1981 by Puffin Books (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Christmas in Noisy Village, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas in Noisy Village

Sheri
Astrid Lindgren’s adept ability to showcase Swedish holiday traditions that evoke a sentimental yearning for simpler times of carefree play and merrymaking will have the reader not only fondly recalling past Christmas memories, but also imagining future festivities. A lovely look at the simple joys of a Swedish Christmas.
Manybooks
Astrid Lindgren's Noisy Village series of novels are amongst my all time favourite childhood reads (well, more to the point, the German language editions I read and reread as a child and still much enjoy as an adult, as the English language translations by Florence Lamborn do leave more than a bit to be desired, as so many in my opinion important episodes have seemingly been abridged and even at times completely removed, utterly redacted).

And until comparatively recently, I did not even realise
Ivonne Rovira
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone!
Desperate to slake my love for Astrid Lindgren’s Noisy Village books, I bought this 32-page picture book. And how glad I was that I did! Naturally, Lindgren imbued the book with her usual, effortless charm, whether the children are making gingersnaps, cutting down Christmas trees or enjoying Christmas preparations or Christmas Day. What a delight to spend Christmas at the turn of the 20th century, before electricity or automobiles had made their ways to rural Sweden. What fun!

This lovely book al
Hilary
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Readers looking for Christmas stories
Lovely book. Traditional scandinavian Christmas. A look into their homes and lives.
Ann
3 1/2 stars
What I loved most about this book was the old-fashioned illustrations, the old-fashioned feel, and the old-fashioned celebration of Christmas. I adored the fact that the children received sleds and skates and skis for gifts and were outside right away playing with them. I also loved the close relationships everyone shared. The story, however, felt more like a collection of events, only tied together because it was Christmas. Which, is fine, but there really wasn't an overall story. Bu
Apr 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This may well be my favorite Christmas book of all time (and believe me, we own an awful lot of them.) This is the stuff Christmas carols are written about.
ABC
Dec 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: younger-kids
My book is a library book and it is British, and the title is "Christmas at Bullerby." (In Swedish, the village is called Bullerbyn.) I think it is basically the same as the American version, in which they changed the title to "Christmas at Noisy Village."

This is an adorable book about the lives of some close-knit Swedish children during the Christmas season. The illustrations are adorable. I do wish it had included the candles for St. Lucia's Day, a tradition unique to Sweden.

This is the sort
Cheryl
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
A treasure for fans, but no plot, no drama. Almost as sweet & rich as the treats described in the book.
Luisa Knight
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I just love Lindgren's Noisy Village tales and this one is so sweet and charming too! Illustrations are lovely and it's just the kind of cozy, Norwegian farming family tale that you and your children will enjoy!

Ages: 6+

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book befor
Johanna H.
May 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favourite Christmas Books as a Child and i still love it!
It just gives you this old fashioned Christmas feeling. . This is how you wish Christmas to be! It shows how it was celebrated in the past and it's so full of joy,snow, friends & family, candles, trees ,children, christmas dinner, Church, Baking, Gingerbread, slates and fun that you wish that Christmas never ends :) and it brings the old christmas feeling that you had as a child up again. .!
babyhippoface
I think this is the traditional Christmas we all secretly wish for somewhere deep down: romping in fields of snow, freshly-cut evergreens, baking gingersnaps, snowball lanterns, everything candle-lit, and surrounded by friends and family. The nice, old-fashioned feel to this book is what makes it so wonderful.
Deirdre Keating
Jan 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Why do I love this book so much? Because the kids are real (and not perfect) but the holiday filled with family, creativity, and love is. Great illustrations---we hope to make a snowball latern this year, and find more of the Noisy Village books.
Shawn Thrasher
Dec 19, 2013 rated it liked it
No Pippi Longstocking to be found here (perhaps she's hiding out in the barn); just a children of a little Swedish village celebrating a beautiful, nostalgic, and sweet holiday. "Everything is so beautiful and Christmasy that it gives me a stomach-ache," said Anna. A sentiment that most of us can agree with whole-heartedly. Reminded me much of Shirley Hughes. I don't think you can close this book without thinking fondly of your own childhood Christmas memories. "Oh, isn't Christmas a jolly time? ...more
Amy Edwards
Dec 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas
Cute, quick Christmas read. Lots of great Scandanavian touches in the illustrations--from the ginger snaps and the saffron buns to the painted-red, wooden candelabras and the toboggans. If only we had some snow to try making a snow lantern...
Eva Leger
Dec 19, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: julias-books
This is an okay story - what kid doesn't like hearing a day in the life of another kid? Especially one that has kids having as much fun as this? This wouldn't make her (or my) top 100 list but it's was worth reading I think.
Teri
Dec 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great story. Colorful, vibrant pictures. Great way to expose children to Christmas celebration in another country.
Jenny
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Christmas in Noisy Village hearkens back to an earlier, simpler time...and describes the traditions of the families in this small village.
Shannon
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There is something extra super sweet about this book. It's one of our collection of Christmas books and I always want to read it over and over again when we have it out. Everything from the way the language moves to the illustrations is fabulous.
Jessica ☕
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
Cute, nostalgic illustrations accompanied by a laundry list of Christmas activities. Not much of a plot to speak of, other than children enjoying Christmas. Nice for reading one-on-one with children; I don't see it going over well in a read-aloud group setting.

E.M. Epps
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Charmingly illustrated, but not a substitute for reading the full stories in The Children of Noisy Village.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great story form the creator of Pippi Longstocking
Pam
Dec 07, 2012 rated it liked it
This tale of a traditional Christmas full of caroling, sledding, baking cookies and the like. The illustrations are full of cute children. While it is a sweet book, it is not one of my favorites.
Roberta
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: christmas-books
This cute tale by Astrid Lindgren of Pippi Longstocking fame reminded me of the books of my youth. The illustrations were old-fashioned.
Helen
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Simple & enduring. A brilliant Christmas classic.
Katie (BooksRUs)
I enjoyed reading this as a kid!
Esther May
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cute Christmas book. I love the kids perspective in this book. It reminded me of Christmas when I was little.
Maren Prestegaard
Nov 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
Vintage in the best possible way. Made me remember Christmas as a child - big and fanciful.
"All those hours you have to wait for your Christmas presents are what turn your hair gray."
Melissa
Dec 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Love this story and the pictures.
Aimee
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
We read this each Christmas to get us excited about traditions we keep that are in line with the European traditions.
Emma Larsson
I listened to a special version read by Astrid Lindgren. I'm pretty sure it's not exactly the same as this book, as she only read about Christmas eve and the few days before. Nevertheless, it's the same story, pretty much, so I'll mark is as read.

I love the Bullerby-children. They live the life I wish I lived when I was young. Even as a child watching the movies I always wished I could step into the TV and play with them. Their stories makes me calm, happy and extremely nostalgic. They are one o

• The Dolls' Christmas
  • The Trees of the Dancing Goats
  • The Carpenter's Gift: A Christmas Tale about the Rockefeller Center Tree
  • Apple Tree Christmas
  • A Wish to Be a Christmas Tree
  • Who Is Coming to Our House?
  • A Christmas Tree for Pyn
  • Night Tree
  • Carl's Christmas
  • Nine Days to Christmas: A Story of Mexico
  • Cobweb Christmas: The Tradition of Tinsel
Astrid Anna Emilia Lindgren, née Ericsson, (1907 - 2002) was a Swedish children's book author and screenwriter, whose many titles were translated into 85 languages and published in more than 100 countries. She has sold roughly 165 million copies worldwide. Today, she is most remembered for writing the Pippi Longstocking books, as well as the Karlsson-on-the-Roof book series.

Awards:
Hans Christian A

Barnen i Bullerbyn (3 books)
  • The Children of Noisy Village