Start by marking “The Brothers Lionheart” as Want to Read:
The Brothers Lionheart

The Brothers Lionheart

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  23,348 Ratings  ·  711 Reviews
The Brothers Lionheart (Swedish: Bröderna Lejonhjärta) is a children's fantasy novel written by Astrid Lindgren. It was published in the autumn of 1973 and has been translated into 46 languages. Many of its themes are unusually dark and heavy for the children's book genre. Disease, death, tyranny, betrayal and rebellion are some of the dark themes that permeate the story. ...more
Published December 31st 2004 by Purple House Press (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about The Brothers Lionheart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brothers Lionheart

Alex
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In high school I loaned this to a girlfriend and then she dumped me and then I called her house like every day all "GIVE ME MY BOOK BACK" until she finally left it outside my door so she wouldn't have to talk to me.

I was a pretty big fan of this book.
Angelina
If you don't like this book you just don't understand anything.
Simply one of the best children's books ever written. It treats very serious questions in a truly admirable way and gives hope at the same time. Pure, honest, brave and magical.
Lisa
Jun 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
There are times when reality is hard to bear!

There are times when you wish you would not have to face what is actually happening. For all those times, Astrid Lindgren wrote The Brothers Lionheart. I must have read it about ten times by now, several times as a child, and several times with my own children, and students. I have watched the film, listened to the magical audiobook in which Astrid Lindgren herself reads the story, in that slow, humoristic voice of hers, indicating her Småland dialect
Sharon L
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
remember that book you read in your childhood?

it was in hardcover, it was a bit dusty and used, and you had that feeling that you would like this book. and so you read it- and it had adventures and it was interesting and you couldn't stop reading that book (you read other books before, but that was the first book you were glued to).

remember that book in your childhood that, in a way, is the main reason for your deep love to books? that book that holds magic to you? that is cherished by you? th
Rinda Elwakil
الأخوان ليون هارت اللذان اصطحباني إلي نانجيالا، والآن لا أود العودة من هناك.
Helle
This is the most important, most magical and most precious book from my childhood. It is the book that made me believe in something greater than myself when I was about ten years old. It is, to me, one of the most wonderful stories for children and young teenagers.

By the time I was 18, I had read it three or four times, later I read it to my oldest daughter and now to my youngest. And I still struggled to hold back the tears.

It is about the love between two brothers, about life after death, abo
AnnaLund
Jan 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone who has a beating heart
Recommended to AnnaLund by: My mother
The book that made me who I am today.
The one that taught me to stand up for my friends.
The book that showed me that Somethings you just HAVE to do, or else you are not a real human being, just a little speck of dirt.
Of course, I read it in the original Swedish, but anyone who has half a mind of reading something truly healing should give this a go in English. It is well translated, and she IS, after all, the mother of Pippi Longstockings. I rest my case.
Jonatan, jag ser ljuset.
Noah
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Beautiful, heartbreaking, uplifting and timeless.

Astrid Lindgren Forever! :)

*****
“Why did you save Park's life, was that so good?'

'I don't know if it was such a good thing to do,' said Jonathan. 'But there are things you have to do, otherwise you're not a human being, just a piece of dirt. I've said this to you before.'

'But what if he'd realized who you were?' I said. 'And they had caught you!'

'Well, then they would've caught Lionheart and not a piece of dirt,' said Jonathan.”
― Astrid Lindgren
Malene
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
"... Alligevel kunne jeg ikke lade være med at tænke på, hvor skønt det ville være, hvis vi ikke hele tiden skulle være så stærke og modige."

Jeg købte denne bog kort efter jeg sidste sommer var i Junibacken og blev mindet om dette skønne eventyr af Astrid Lindgren, da vi tog med Eventyrtoget rundt, for at se Lindgrens forskellige historier.

Da jeg var yngre holdt jeg faktisk ikke forfærdeligt meget af historien. Jeg fandt den alt for uhyggelig og jeg brød mig virkelig ikke om, at den handlede s
Kirstine
Sep 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Oh man, I am an absolute sucker for sibling relationships (have I mentioned this before? Maybe I have), if not, know now that I am.

So you might guess why this is (along with 'Mio, My Mio') my favourite Astrid Lindgren book. The relationship between Tvebak and Jonathan (the Danish names) is so unbelievably precious, and leaves me in tears, even now, despite it being a childrens book.
Having a brother myself, I understand the devotion you can have for a sibling; I'd do anything for him. I'd face
Mireille Bregman
Bevat alles wat een goed verhaal voor kinderen en volwassenen nodig heeft.
Svenja
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-sterne
Astrid Lindgren schreibt tolle, fantasievolle Märchen für Kinder.
Schade, dass ich die Bücher erst jetzt für mich entdeckt habe.

"Die Brüder Löwenherz" erzählt ein Abenteuer zweier Brüder, die wirklich zeigen, was Geschwisterliebe ist.
Leni Iversen
Reading childhood favourites again as an adult is risky business, and with Astrid Lindgren it can be devastating. Not because her books disappoint; they don't. She has the gift of writing books that are read one way by children and another by adults. For a child, The Brothers Lionheart is an empowering adventure about brotherly love, courage, and doing the right thing even if you are scared. Children take the story at face value. It's the story of a sick child who gets to go on adventures and be ...more
Mitticus
2,5

Eeeh, no me esperaba ese final Oo'

Al parecer este es el libro amado de infancia de varias personas, y tal vez sea esa clase de libros que no sirve para leerse con una mirada adulta. Entiendo además que está todo ese asunto cultural que puede que me pase por sobre la cabeza y que confieso entender bien poco aparte de haber visto unas pocas peliculas ambientadas alli (y ya sabemos que bien sale todo en las películas, con honrosas excepciones).

Bueno, la cosa es que un libro acerca de dos herman
Stina
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If I told you one of the most famous Swedish children's books started with two boys dying, would you believe me? Because it's true. And it still manages to be sweet and lighthearted.

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.
Lote L.
Nezinu, vai ir godīgi tā ņemt un izravēt manu sirdi. Ārkārtīgi smaga grāmata. Nesaprotu, kāpēc pie tās atgriežos, atkal visa esmu lupatās.
Kristīne Līcis
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-kids
Baiss un sirdi plosošs skaistums, kas tik nepiespiesti un pārliecinoši sagrauj visus tabu par to, ka bērniem nevar izstāstīt par nāvi. Izrādās, ka var - ar ģimenes mīlestības neuzvaramo spēku, ar nometnes ugunskuriem un pasakām, ar neaptraipītu cēlumu. Brāļu piedzīvojumiem ir tik daudzas nozīmes, kuras ar katru nākamo lasīšanu nākamajā vecumā šķiet pavisam citas, jo tagad, piemēram, nespēju atbrīvoties no domas, ka Ērkšķrožu ieleja ir Padomju Savienība. Svarīga grāmata.

"Bet ir tādi darbi, kas
Harun Harahap
Hossein Sharifi
نمی شود به این اثر ستاره داد.. این اثر برای کودکان نوشته شده پس باید کودکان به این اثر ستاره دهند... بنظر من کتابی خسته کننده بود. و تغیرات در روند داستان کاملا ناگهانی رخ میداد که انگار نویسنده ناخودآگاه چیزی یادش آمده و نوشته باشد...داستان های کودکان خیلی بهتر از این نیز خوانده بودم

در خود وب سایت نویسنده نوشته بود که در روزی که آسترید به سفری با قطار به طرف دریاچه ی فریکن رفته است و هوا سرد و برفی بوده انگار که دنیایی خارج از این دنیای واقعی ما در جلوی چشمانش پدیدار شده ..آسترید درآنجا تصمیم
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
A strange if charming little book. It begins with the tragic deaths of two young brothers who are then reunited in the land of Ningiyama, where the world is still as it was in the age of sagas with many adventures to be had. However, the boys discover that not all adventures are worth having as they find themselves facing increasingly evil foes and long odds. The end of the story took me by surprise and I'm not sure what to make of it. Despite what a one-star review on this site claims, the endi ...more
پگاه
May 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: دارم
وای که چهقدر کارل رو میفهمیدم... خیلی زیاد...
این که همیشه میخواست که هرجور شده پیش برادرش باشه. وقتی که میگفت ماجراهای نانگیالا چطور میتونن خوب باشن وقتی یوناتان پیشش نیست. وقتی که به برادرش گفت: «یوناتان بیچارهام! تو هم دیگر شاد نیستی.کاش فقط میتوانستم تو را شاد کنم!» خیلی دوستداشتنی بود محبت این دو تا برادر...
Reetta Saine
Klassikko, jonka uskalsin viimein lukea uudelleen yli kolmenkymmenen vuoden jälkeen. Kannatti.
Johan Thilander
Jag kan bli irriterad på Astrid Lindgren. Hennes ställning som vår främsta barnboksförfattare har gjort att många inte ser den utveckling som samtidens barnboksutgivning har gjort. Barnlitteratur är förmodligen bättre och mer upplyft nu än någonsin förut, ändå förbises den alltför ofta under devisen "men ingen kommer ändå slå Astrid Lindgren". Och absolut, hon är extremt betydelsefull och vid omläsning av denna nyutgåva av Bröderna Lejonhjärta så är det svårt att inte se det. Men på vissa sätt s ...more
Nanna
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolut fantastisk bog. Darwin på 7 og Saga på 5 blev virkelig grebet af brødrenes fortælling - og jeg selv ikke mindst.

Historien er barsk. Den handler rigtig meget om død. Mavesure anmeldere og de korrekte pege-fingre-forældre ville have haft en forargelsesfest af en anden verden hvis den var udkommet i dag. Ikke mindst fordi der er en dobbeltside med en 70'er-illustration af en (gisp!) nøgen 13-årig dreng omtrent midtvejs.

De første kapitler fik både min ene søster, min svigerinde og jeg selv
Ibrahim
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
Karina Petersen
Det at vende tilbage til et barndomseventyr, som er blevet fortrængt gennem årene, er en helt fantastisk og unik læseoplevelse - især Astrid Lindgrens eventyr. "Brødrene Løvehjerte" ramte mit hjerte og mine tårer trillede ofte ned ad kinderne under min læsning af det fine eventyr. Jeg sidder nu lidt tom tilbage, og ville ønske at jeg kunne tage med Brødrene Løvehjerte ud på nye eventyr i Nangilima!
Rana Heshmati
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rana by: معصومه توکلی
Shelves: گریه, رمان
آه...
یوناتان...
نون قندیِ عزیز دلم... :) :( :*
عالی بود و بس.
با تمام وجودم دوستش داشتم و درکش کردم ...
Irene
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, danish, from-library
I remember my mom reading this to me when I was very young. It's just as good as I remembered it to be.

I love the way Karl describes his brother Jonathan, it's full of admiration and love, in a way only a child can describe it.
I also really loved grandpa and the way he tested these two young boys. He was easily my favourite character.

The setting of Nangijala was perfect and romantic, and i cam understand why Karl wanted to go there.

The white doves were a nice touch and very symbolic.

I remembere
Leo
Waar gaat het boek niét over?? Moed, doorzettingsvermogen, goed en kwaad, vriendschap, hoop, warmte, geborgenheid en ga nog maar even door!
Tandava Brahmachari
For years I've had a strong but vaguely-detailed memory of a book I read as a child. I couldn't remember the title, the author, the plot, or even how old I was when I read it. I knew that a boy followed his brother to a land after death, and I had a blurry image of what was possibly the cover, and I knew that younger-me had been deeply moved by it in some way. Every few years I'd try to find it, but without any luck.

A few weeks ago, I found it. I must have have finally hit on the right search t
  • Moominland Midwinter (The Moomins, #6)
  • Die kleine Hexe
  • Pancakes for Findus (Findus & Pettson)
  • Geheimen van het Wilde Woud  (De brief voor de koning #2)
  • De kleine kapitein
  • Jim Knopf und die Wilde 13
  • Gummi-Tarzan
  • Geef me de ruimte! (Trilogie over de 100 jarige oorlog, #1)
  • Oh, wie schön ist Panama
  • Das doppelte Lottchen
  • Naksitrallid. Esimene ja teine raamat
  • Karius und Baktus
  • Otje
Astrid Anna Emilia Lindgren, née Ericsson, (1907 - 2002) was a Swedish children's book author and screenwriter, whose many titles were translated into 85 languages and published in more than 100 countries. She has sold roughly 165 million copies worldwide. Today, she is most remembered for writing the Pippi Longstocking books, as well as the Karlsson-on-the-Roof book series.

Awards:
Hans Christian A
More about Astrid Lindgren

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Star Wars: Darth Plagueis
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Men då sa Jonatan att det fanns saker som man måste göra, även om det var farligt. ’Varför då’, undrade jag. ’Annars är man ingen människa utan bara en liten lort’, sa Jonatan.” 42 likes
“But I can't kill anyone,' said Jonathan, 'you know that Orvar!' 'Not even if it means your life?' asked Orvar. 'No, not even then,' said Jonathan. Orvar couldn't understand this and Mattias hardly could, either. 'If everyone were like you,' said Orvar, 'then evil would rule for all eternity!' But then I said that if everyone were like Jonathan, then there would be no evil.” 24 likes