Start by marking “All Told: My Art and Life Among Athletes, Playboys, Bunnies, and Provocateurs” as Want to Read:
All Told: My Art and Life Among Athletes, Playboys, Bunnies, and Provocateurs

All Told: My Art and Life Among Athletes, Playboys, Bunnies, and Provocateurs

LeRoy Neiman—arguably the world’s most recognizable contemporary artist—broke the barrier between fine art and popular art in the 1960s. His prints continue to bring in $10 million a year in sales. But it is the life he’s lived and the people he’s known that make the memoir of this swashbuckling bon vivant with the famous mustache such a marvelous historical canvas. His is
Published September 17th 2013 by Lyons Press (first published June 5th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about All Told, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Told

Start your review of All Told: My Art and Life Among Athletes, Playboys, Bunnies, and Provocateurs
F.C. Etier
May 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On the morning of December 7, 1963, twenty-two years after Pearl Harbor and exactly two weeks after the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, LeRoy Neiman got into a limousine along with Shel Silverstein and Hugh Hefner. Their destination? The Cook County Courthouse, to face obscenity charges.

Elsewhere, the nation still reeled over the death of a President.

In Chicago, the legal system would express its concerns over what individual citizens do at home alone in the dark. It was The City of
Mark Bunch
Mar 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports, art, biography
Leroy Neiman his life in his own words. A fan of his for decades. this book explains his ride to the top. The reluctance of the art world to accept him. This was a great bio. From nothing to $10m a year in cash-flow. Living the life in time and space others only can dream of. I am glad I display him in my Bunch Development Services (BDS) office in downtown Knoxville.
Peter Melancon
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was very inspirational with many colorful characters that Neiman has met and painted very insightful on many fronts.
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh. Got this on a whim from the newly acquired shelf at the library. The book itself looked good. Lots & lots of images of his art as well as with various celebrities. However, the writing doesn't live up to the layout of the book.

I knew nothing about Neiman before I read this memoir. I still feel like I know nothing about him. At the very end of the book he writes that after spending a life looking outwards, observing others, he feels that he is an enigma to himself. Uh, yeah, I agree. And an
Hilary Topper
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must confess, I knew very little about LeRoy Neiman before reading this autobiography. I first saw some of his lithographs at charity golf outings and I was impressed, but that was the extent of my knowledge of his life and work.

Now, I know that the late LeRoy Neiman was an eccentric man who hob-knobbed with famous people and was well respected in the commercial art community. Unfortunately for him, he wasn’t so respected in the fine art community.

All Told: My Art and Life Among Athletes, Play
Grady
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Autobiography As Colorful As His Paintings

In celebration of his 91st birthday on June 8, 2012 Lyons Press has publish a lavishly illustrated autobiography of LeRoy Nieman. Appropriately titled ALL TOLD: MY ART AND LIFE AMONG ATHLETES, PLAYBOYS, BUNNIES, AND PROVOCATEURS the book begins at his beginning in 1919 told with the raucous humor that vibrates in his art, The journey through his life to date includes his associations with Muhammad Ali, Frank Sinatra, Salvador Dali, Andy Warhol, Dizzy
DeBora Rachelle
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was attracted to his paintings only to find out he was born in my hometown of Duluth, MN, that's why I picked up the book. I found it to be very intriguing and quite a life he led as an artist/ story writer for Playboy, etc. ...more
Stephanie Barko
May 15, 2012 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Boomers, seniors, Playboy collectors, painters, pop culturists
Recommended to Stephanie by: Gail Parenteau
The racy memoir of iconic Manhattan painter LeRoy Neiman released today, marking the artist's 91st birthday. Check out the Muhammad Ali excerpt at http://frontrowlit.com/?p=2142.

The book is on virtual tour through the end of June 2012 and the schedule is posted at www.stephaniebarko.com/blog.
Mike Turner