Start by marking “Backward Compatible” as Want to Read:
Backward Compatible

Backward Compatible

Not too long ago, in a town that, depending on your current location, is either not super far or actually quite close... (insert Star Wars theme music here...)

It is a time of chaotic hormones.

Two nerdy gents home for winter break have discovered a female gamer at a midnight release.

During the break, the gamer trio manages to reveal the game's secret boss, a hidden enemy w
Published December 8th 2013 by SDE Press (first published December 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Backward Compatible, please sign up.
Laura It's available on Amazon, though I'm not sure where else. As it's an indie book, your local bookstore may be able to order it in, but it's unlikely to…moreIt's available on Amazon, though I'm not sure where else. As it's an indie book, your local bookstore may be able to order it in, but it's unlikely to be stocked as a matter of course. http://www.amazon.com/Backward-Compat... (less)

Inge
Geeks of the world, hold on to your Nintendos. For I am about to introduce you to one of the nerdiest books I’ve ever read: Backward Compatible. Like the blurb says, you will find no sex in here. But don’t let that for a minute deceive you into thinking you’re going to get a squeaky clean read. This book is filled with hormonal teenagers who cuss like sailors.

It’s also the love story between two geeks, and some other geeks who try to find love as well. First of all, there’s Katie, our female pro
Natalie Monroe
You know how in Super Smash Bros., your character collects damage and at a certain point, you get so weak, your opponent just whacks you with a lotus and you go flying off-screen?

K.O, bitches!

Let's apply that logic to Backwards Compatible and see what happens.

-Characters being 21 yet act like they're in high school.

I'm 21. I find it insulting that these characters do nothing but play Fatal Destiny all day. I'm not asking for a Nobel Peace Prize, but Jesus, get off your ass and do something! Go t
Miranda
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I freaking LOVED this book! Nothing will compare I had a hangover from it, had me crying I was laughing so hard and would have to take breaks just to get my composure back together. It was by far I think the best books for 2013 that I read, and I read a lot. I loved the nerdy jokes and video game talking. The banter between the characters was amazing everyone just sort of reminded of me and my high school friends just gaming and being crazy. Oh and snack runs :)
I really hope in some way this cou
George
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this. Once it got going, I couldn't put it down and found myself laughing out loud quite a few times.

Katie and George (yes, there is a character named George, which happens to be an awesome and underrated name) are both likeable, as is the sidekick Lanyon, who reminded me of a couple of my friends in high school. Goofy and obnoxious, yet still loveable.

The love story itself is cute, awkward and authentic.

All in all, if you like video games, crude humor, and nerd culture in gen
Isamlq
Jan 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-galley
Backward Compatible. So where in the story of two completely nerdy (or is it geeky?) leads, falling in love and doing completely nerdy (or is geeky?) together does backward compatibility go? Their activities ranges from tame movie going, to the slightly more interesting cosplay to the well, then to the always hilarious moment of having Lanyon of One Lines hanging out (or hanging on?) to them.

I liked this even when I felt like I wasn’t supposed to. The jokes you see, could cross a line. And stil
Merideth Jenson-Benjamin
I tried to finish this book, I really did. I stayed put through the geek girl who used boobs and fake crying to get what she wanted. I endured through the gaming bro dudes who only communicate in catchphrases. I preserved when the characters started gaming (Know what's more boring than watching someone play a video game? Reading about someone playing a video game.). However, when peeing became a plot point, I was out.

It probably isn't fair of me to judge this book based on the 20% that I read.
Tracy
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What did I take away from Backward Compatible by Sarah Daltry & Pete Clark? A good old fashioned romance can still be written.

If you haven’t noticed, there’s a craze in books lately. Sex. And more sex. And even more sex. The plot typically goes that a young woman meets an older man that has nightmares about sexual abuse and this girl falls in love with him and they have sex every other page of the book. You’ve read them – so have I. Backward Compatible is the complete opposite of those books
Mary Lou Hoffman
Category /Genre: Contemporary Romance, NA
Received from: Amazon purchase
Recommended for: 14+ (mature teens and up)
Grammar/editing: A – near perfect

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FAVORITE QUOTE (yes, I'm a math nerd)
"Jeff brings me to Chili's. I hate Chili's.
As part of the transitive property, I now hate Jeff."
Katie – Backward Compatible.
Used with permission from Sarah Daltry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, Geek Romance – No, this is not an oxymoron. Finally, a story for those of us who are n
zapkode
{my thoughts} – Where do I start? Should I start at the end? I’m not sure. Katie and George meet at the midnight release of a new game. This whole book is based on that game and how it is entwined in their lives, however, aside from the game being a main part of the book so is their blossoming relationship.

This book was exceptionally well written. The banter between the characters is so well written you may want to re-read some of the lines to make sure you read what you read. You will undoubted
b.andherbooks
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc
Review based on an ARC received from www.netgalley.com

Katie and George meet after a brief scuffle over the last copy of the hottest new video game they waited in line all night long to purchase. Both certified geeks, will they overcome their awkwardness and find love, even if they are constantly blocked by video game playing and their equally geeky friends?

Cute story, but I often forgot these were 20 year olds in college and not high school students. Katie, George, and their friends are on winte
Charlotte Jones
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This story is told from two different people’s perspectives, Kate and George. I really loved that you got to see both character’s lives separately, even though they are obviously linked, and their personalities felt very true to life. The way George and his best friend Lanyon talk to each other seems very true of teenage boys and I found it refreshing to read about geeky characters rather than the usual hipster girl falling for the jock.

The involvement of video games in this book is immense, wit
AJ Fairchild
Jan 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: egalley, kindle
Well, I won't have to worry about racking my brain for gift ideas for most of my friends this year. I'll be buying a dozen copies of Backward Compatible.

From the first page, the story will grab you, and keep you entertained until the end. If time permitted, I could have easily finished this in one sitting. I'd had it in my queue all month and after the first chapter I shamed myself for waiting so long to start such an awesome ode to nerd/geek culture.

Flip to any page in this book and you will
Kaleigh
Dec 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Laugh-out-loud FUNNY! Hilarious 1-Liners! A must read!

First I would like to say this is the funniest book I have EVER read. I could not stop laughing, the tears from my laughing would hinder my reading and I would have to take a moment to contain myself. The one liner’s that the characters would spit out on command were down right laugh-out-loud hysterical!

I am not a gamer by any means, unless you consider Super Nintendo Mario a gamer. However, a geek/gamer romance I thought would be something n
Mel Johnson
Feb 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must read. I was so swept away and taken back to my early twenties. Yet this book is more than just a bunch of really great references in the wonderful/cringe worthy gaming/geek cultural ...it is all about the depth of the characters. They are a bunch of young adults trying to navigate this crazy world as they set their own lines in the sand.

The most important thing I have taken away from this book is how real the people are. I cheered for the two leads, agreed with the secondary
Sorin Suciu
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humour, romance, fantasy
Loved it to bits and bytes!

This is the kind of book you postpone finishing, because you don’t want to escape from its universe.

The main characters positively ooze with geekiness, and I say this in the best possible way (as if there is any other). They are not the nerdy pimple faced goblins whose fingers can summon the babality mudra for all MK players. Alright, they totally know how to do that, and they also know what an Activision is, but the point is they are not goblins, okay!
They are witty,
Lori Watson
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is an incredibly fun book for those of us who are or have been gamers*. The gamer and geek references abound in this fun little romance. I grinned my way through the story and laughed aloud several times. The dialogue is well written, realistic, and hilarious. Fun. Fun. Fun.

*If you have never been to a midnight release, dressed in cosplay, obsessed over a video game or sprinkled (poured?) book/TV/movie quotes into everyday conversation, this book is probably not something you'd enjoy. ;)
Sam
Jun 25, 2014 added it
Shelves: arc
Review removed

Leigh Collazo

More reviews at Mrs. ReaderPants.

IF THIS BOOK WERE FOOD, IT WOULD BE: Sour Patch Kids. A burst of flavor from sour beginning to sweet, satisfying end.

REVIEW: Egads, but this is a cute book. I devoured it in one sitting, laughing out loud frequently and soaking up tons of pop culture references from the past 40 years. I loved the characters' witty banter, but I adored the various pop culture quotes and references ranging from The Princess Bride to Army of Darkness to The Big Bang Theory to Shake
Carrie Ardoin
Jul 18, 2014 rated it liked it
As a female who plays video games (I hate the term "girl gamer"), I should be offended by a lot of the things that happen in this book; after all, a girl uses her cleavage to her advantage in the very first chapter. While I definitely hated all the ridiculous stereotypes this book is filled with, I have to admit that this book did have an original twist on boy meets girl and romance.

First off, let me say if you aren't what some would call a nerd, you will not understand this book, much less enjo
Ashley Ferguson
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This review and more can be found at The A P Book Club

*I received this book as an eARC from SDE Press, LLC on NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

If you're familiar with geek/gamer culture, and are looking for something light and fun to read, this is seriously the perfect book for you. Everything about this book is fantastic, and I'm pretty sure that I've found my favorite book of 2014 (and it's only January). It's definitely my favorite Ya contemporary romance of all time. It's that goo
Kristen Cansler

Backward Compatible is the language of my people. Since Spyro came onto the scene, I've been a gamer. Console, PC; doesn't matter. Just give me a good storyline and something to kill. I knew I'd love Backward Compatible on premise alone. I didn't realize that I would feel such a connection to the story and characters that I was sad whenever I reached the last page. I need more Katie and George in my life. Hell, I'll even put up with Lanyon to do so.

Can we talk about Katie? I am Katie. Her dizzy
Michelle Willms
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Backward Compatible: A Geek Love Story by Sarah Daltry and Pete Clark
This book is unlike Sarah Daltry's other books, but is still exceptionally well written, with characters that are very realistic, lives that resonate with the reader and life activities that are amusing, especially if you are a gamer or are familiar with the gaming lifestyle. The primary characters, George and Katie, meet at a midnight game opening at a game store when they both grab the last copy of a new game. Through her sly
Shawna
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Bah ha ha! Oh my! Being a bit of a gamer chick myself I knew I had to check this one out the moment I saw it. When I read the description stating that there was no sex, and that it was YA I was a little hesitant to read it right away because I just have not been in the mood for mild YA romance. But this isn't YA, the characters are in college, thus making it NA. And the innocence level I thought would be fairly high here, really isn't all that high. There's no censor on the story really. I love ...more
A.T. Douglas
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You don't have to be a geek or gamer to love Backward Compatible. It's pure comedic entertainment for anyone who needs a great laugh. I was cracking up from basically the front end content before Level One all the way through to the last word. It was perfect hilarity. I LOVED it!

This book was unique and clever in so many ways. From the perspective of a gamer it kind of made me squee over and over again. Some of the references made me so happy I was literally gushing to my gamer husband about it,
Kat
Dec 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
Backward Compatible was a hilarious, fun read! It was also a very, very good New Adult. It wasn't overrun with sexual content like many NAs seem to be turning out lately. (As for the sexual jokes and references . . . well, I can't same the same for those.) The book, though, did have tons of foul language and gamer lingo that didn't make a lick of sense to me, but that made reading it all the more entertaining. There was a cute, adorable, and geeky couple that I just loved and a very weird, funny ...more
Emily Ever
I have not yet finished this book, but it's not looking good.

I do appreciate the dialog, and the way the characters seem to fit together and interact.

The writing is smooth and keeps the story going.

And I will always appreciate a story that tried to advance the geek name. I mean look at that cover! Pure awesome.

HOWEVER

In the first scene (the very first scene!) the female character uses her boobs on some boy gamers - and it works! Not only is this giving female gamers everywhere a bad name, but i
Rachael
Jan 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Thank you Netgalley for a humorous... slightly predictive book.

Firstly this book must be taken with a pinch of salt, it's essentially a chick-litty love story... for gamers with a lot of swearing and innuendos and tons of references that I probably didn't get all of them (especially as I don't play MMORPGs!) - I think that's right?! But it is a funny, feel good book.

I liked the main character, a female gamer who can stand up on her own two feet, not sure about her in the start of the book, how s
Michael Loring
Backward Compatible is a geek love story co-written by authors Sarah Daltry and Pete Clark, both of whom bring characters that are extremely relatable and hilarious at the same time.

The story follows two gaming geeks, George and Katie, and begins with their unconventional meeting at a midnight release party. After their fateful meeting, they end up playing the game together and discover they are actually attracted to each other. Despite both of their socially awkward tendencies, they manage to c
Nick
Feb 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya-books
First of all I'm a pretty big nerd, but some of the references they were making were way over my head. Secondly, and far more important, this book is incredibly crass and vulgar. The description said it was supposed to be something you could read without being embarrassed. It was wrong. Cussing, sex jokes (in poor taste), and no redeemable character arch all signify that this author was just trying to sell out to the lowest common denominator. The characters are terrible. College students still ...more
Crystal Solis
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! I loved the characters, their banter, their commeraderie....it was just an all around good time.
Katie and George meet at a video game release and they meet when they are both fight with each other over the same game and neither one will give up. Needless to say George is smitten with Katie and the fact that she has boobs, is cute, and is even dressed up at a video game release. In his mind he's thinking she's a triple threat, but way out of his nerdy league. Katie is thinking ho
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Under Zenith (Zenith Cycles, #1)
  • Blood Orange Soda
  • The Smart Girl's Guide to God, Guys, and the Galaxy: Save the Drama! and 100 Other Practical Tips for Teens
  • Swerve
  • Free Kindle Books
  • Nothing Else Matters
  • Just Your Average Geek
  • Beetle Boy
  • Script Kiddie (Assured Destruction, #2)
  • Avenging Angel
  • Becoming a Butterfly (The Butterfly Chronicles, #1)
  • Too Much Sun
  • Endless
  • Empyreal Illusions (The Inferno Unleashed #1)
  • The Waking Dreamer (The Waking Dreamer, #1)
  • Infinity Chronicles - Part Two (Valkyries: Soaring Raven, #2)
  • The Crossing (Blood of the Lamb, #1)
  • Brown Skin Blue
“Remember that time we were playing Tossing Bitches and I killed you by accidentally tossing a bitch at you?” 7 likes
“And the next time you worry about not being normal, just remember my words of wisdom.” “Which are?” I ask. “Fuck normal.” 5 likes