Start by marking “The Children of Noisy Village” as Want to Read:
The Children of Noisy Village

The Children of Noisy Village

(Barnen i Bullerbyn #1)

Welcome to Noisy Village! Go crayfishing in the summer at Nocken, "dipping in the pot" at Christmastime with Lisa and Karl, and join Britta and Anna who know the best way to go about "nutting" for the New Year. In this gently humorous tale, master storyteller Astrid Lindgren takes us through a year in the lives and customs of six Swedish children living on a group of three ...more
Published February 2nd 1988 by Puffin Books (first published 1946)

Start your review of The Children of Noisy Village
Evgeny
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I can say that I have a happy childhood. Not perfect, but happy. One of the reasons for this (a minor reason, but still) was that my parents bought me this book. The story is simple: once upon a time there was a tiny Swedish village called Bullerby (Noisy) consisting of three houses.
Village
In one house lived the heroine called Lisa with two brothers, in another house there lived two sisters, and in the last one there was a boy. From my understanding the difference between the oldest of the six kids
Julie
Astrid Lindgren had a penchant for married men and story-telling, and I would have pushed people out of my way to get closer to her at a dinner party.

Ms. Lindgren's writing always pulls you in and tells you who's boss, even if it hides behind an illustrated cover and looks like it was meant for kids.

And, let me tell you, if my kids had lost interest this week in this “kids' read” The Children of Noisy Village (they didn't), I would have continued reading it on my own. Absolutely.

In fact, when my
Ivonne Rovira
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of all ages
Save this book in the Audible format until you’re sick, deathly sick. Especially if you’re separated from your mother — either by distance or death — so that she is not available to feed you homemade soup, tuck you into bed, and otherwise coddle you and read you a story. The Children of Noisy Village makes a nice substitute when you’re ailing.

The six children of Noisy Village — 9-year-old Lisa; her mischievous older brothers, Karl and Bill; and neighbors Anna, Britta, and Olaf — don’t live in an
Hilary
I loved this account of day to day Swedish life. Asrid Lindgren captures perfectly the relationship between friends and the rivalry between brother and sister. We loved the details of games played, dens built and festivals celebrated. We really didn't like Tony Ross's illustrations, their modern style just didn't suit the traditional nature of the stories.

We love Bullerby, we would happily move there tomorrow and if that wasn't possible would happily read this book again and imagine!
Manybooks
Indeed and truly, the Noisy Village series (actually the German language translations of Astrid Lindgren's original Swedish text, and where the hamlet is known as Bullerbü) was one of my absolute favourites when I was a little girl (and I must have read all three books at least ten times, and that is at best a rather conservative estimate). And at that age (from about the age of seven to ten) I just felt and knew on a purely emotional and personal level that I absolutely adored the sweet and ...more
Manybooks
The Noisy Village series (well actually, the German language translation of Astrid Lindgren's original Swedish text, and where the hamlet is known as Bullerbü) was one of my absolute favourites when I was a little girl (I must have read all three books at least ten times, and that is a conservative estimate). At that age (from about age six to age nine or ten) I just felt and knew on a purely emotional and personal level that I absolutely adored the sweet and enchanting episodical nuggets of ...more
Cindi
Apr 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Sheer delight. Seriously. I'm not sure when I've read a children's book that was so delightful. I found this book in "A Landscape with Dragons." The author called it the Little House on the Prairie of Sweden.

I had to keep stopping to read sections to whoever in my family would listen to me. See for yourself:

Mommy says she can't understand why it takes more than twice as long to walk home as it does to walk to school. I don't understand it either. But it just can't be helped.

As we were walking
Jessica
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I had never read this book before, in fact: I'd never heard of it until a few months ago. It's a sweet little book, about the lives of a group of children who live on three neighboring farms. It's written in a very simple style, ostensibly by one of the children, Lisa, who describes different traditions and aspects of their life. This would be a great first chapter book. It's 123 pages, with illustrations in each short chapter.
Lucie Novak
Jun 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My favourite children book series of all those books I ever read, if I have grand children, I must get it for them. Lives of 6 children in a tiny hamlet in Sweden, in Czech with beautiful illustrations of a Czech artist Zmatlikova, I read those books again and again.
Catherine
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When I first brought this book home from the library (based entirely on GR reviews), my 6-year-old son said it looked "lame." However...after I persisted in reading the first few chapters, he was completely won over. This is the charming story of a year in Noisy Village (really just a cluster of three small farms), in long ago Sweden. 1920s? They travel by foot or occasionally horse-drawn sled, but I think there might be mention of a truck. The Children of the title are three girls and three ...more
Anna
Dec 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, read-in-2009
This is as lovely as I remember it being. A cute, light-hearted bunch of stories about kids growing up in Sweden. My mom used to read the Polish version to me when I was a kid. Definitely something I could see myself reading to my future children.
Dita
Jul 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bestread, favorites
Bullerbyn kids series were the books I really fond of when I was a little kido. And the memories never fade away. I read this thousand times and will remember the laughters. All of the kids are cheerful, smart, witty, caring, adventurous and humble at once.
Katy Noyes
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
100 pages of nostalgia from the author of Pippi Lockstocking. The children of Noisy Village are six children living on three adjacent farms in a hamlet in Sweden.

One of them narrates these short tales from their year - from making maps and caves in the hayloft in the summer to struggling through miles of snow to get home at Christmas.

The boys and girls are fairly typical - they like adventures and playing pretend, picking strawberries, dressing up, sometimes they prefer to play apart, but they
Pam
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mommy-s-shelf
This book was excellent and confirms what I thought after I read Ronia the Robber's Daughter...which is that Astrid Lindgren is a wonderful author. The language in this book is totally different than in that book, because this book is told in the voice of the little girl, Lisa, who is the main character. The words are simple, but meaningful and capture her experiences just right! In Ronia, the story is told in the 3rd person and uses a different, more adult style of writing that worked ...more
Colette
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
As a child, this book was a favorite after discovering it in 3rd grade. I discovered it again, years later, in the English language section of a bookshop in Stuttgart, Germany. Now, I'm pleased to find it again in yet another phase of life. When rereading childhood favorites, I'm always a bit nervous that they won't hold up. I was not disappointed. The Children of Noisy Village is just as delightful and happily nostalgic as it always was. I'm happy to have found it again at the library (the ...more
Kerstin
Absolutely delightful!
Rebecca Brothers
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I think most Americans meet Lindgren through Pippi Longstocking. I met her through Volvo. My dad was a Volvo mechanic for decades. He got to travel to Sweden several times because he won a prestigious award from the company many times. We called it the Volvo Olympics. He toured the factory, drove the latest cars, ate dinner at the same place where they give out the Nobel Peace prizes. You know, shop stuff. He brought me lovely souvenirs over the years. The red folk art horse, exotic t-shirts, ...more
Melissa McAlvey
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am probably rating this one more for me than Norah. I have always adored Pippi Longstocking, but hadn't read this one before. not as many pictures as Captain Underpants, but it still held her interest enough to be a good read aloud while she colored or ate lunch, etc. It helped that two characters are named Anna and Olaf. ;)

I thought it was a sweet read that reminded me of the Little House books
Daniel and Rebekah Eikum
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this with Gwen (6yo) and it was pure fun! It's about a girl, Lisa, who lives in a little farm town in Sweden. She has many adventures with her friends. I liked learning about the Swedish holiday celebrations. Seeing them through Lisa's eyes was sweet and Gwen could totally relate. I laughed so hard at the chapter about "helping people."
A Severs
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amusing short stories providing an insight into the life of children in rural Sweden at some point in the past. Lots of launchpads for further exploration into Swedish traditions. Great for year 3 children - I'll be recommending it to my 7 year old!
Rosemary
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read aloud with my boys. We all enjoyed it and learned a bit about Sweden as we read.
Rachel
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sweet, short read aloud with my girls.
Eric Hinkle
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Such a charming book. I wish I had grown up in Noisy Village instead of the boring suburbs. I would've been a different person, I do believe!

A true classic.
Lena
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics, kid-lit
I first read this book when I was 9, maybe 10. I adored it a lot and I was sad I lost my copy over the years. I got a copy (in English this time) recently and as I re-read the book, it was just as magical as the first time. Definite childhood favourite!
The_Freddy

There is so much right with this book.

I'm so lucky as to share a lot of the memories in this book, I know how things feel and smell and so on. Even though there are 50 years between the time this book takes place and my childhood, not a lot seems to have changed.
I don't know what it's like to read this when you can't feel this immediate connection with your own childhood.

And the writing, even though it is, especially at the beginning, much more simple than other Lindgren books (which makes
Melanie
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Okay, I am kind of excited! This is the first non-picture book my 5 year old finished with me. I had tried Pippi longstocking and the little prince and neither of those took, but my little one loved this book. It's so funny to me because this book is literally a book with no action in it. It's about a little girl named Lisa who lives with her two brothers in a small village with other kids. They go to school, celebrate holidays and just enjoy being kids. I have to assume my daughter liked it ...more
Cheryl
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"The Children of Noisy Village" is such a wonderful book for children!
It is written by Astrid Lindgren, and I think much of the book was probably based on her own childhood growing up in Sweden in the early 1920's. I just loved reading about Anna, Britta, Karl, etc.. and all of their adventures in Noisy Village, a small group of 3 farms clustered together on the outskirts of town. The author makes you feel as if you are right there riding on the sleigh to school in the winter, searching for eggs
Lorena
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
So, so sweet! It has some funny and cute moments, and some just ordinary moments that make you wish you lived in the olden days. It is perfect for a read-aloud because the chapters are short, have a couple of pictures, and tell a complete story. The last page is my favorite. You can skip ahead and read it, it won't ruin the story, but you won't feel the full effect of it unless you read the whole book first. Just a note, although there are seven children in the story, the protagonist is a girl ...more
Anna
Dec 14, 2015 added it
Read this to sick wife last night. As a life-long Astrid Lindgren fan, I am an utterly biased reader ... but having not read this book since childhood, I was struck again by how utterly soothing its episodic little stories are. I particularly like the presence of Olaf, whose kindness and generosity are a counterweight to some of the girl vs. boy dynamics the other children at Noisy Village fall into. A soothing story for humans of any age.
Cynthia Egbert
May 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I finished this last night and it was simply adorable. Captures a childlike attitude perfectly. A wonderful read that would be ideal for a parent to share aloud with a child. I have read the Pippi Longstocking books by this author, but I am now exploring her further.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Karolcia
  • O psie, który jeździł koleją
  • Der Räuber Hotzenplotz (Hotzenplotz, #1)
  • Der kleine Wassermann
  • Das doppelte Lottchen
  • Yanko the Musician and Other Stories
  • Opium w rosole (Jeżycjada, #5)
  • In Desert and Wilderness
  • Szatan z siódmej klasy
  • Akademia Pana Kleksa (Pan Kleks #1)
  • Astrid Lindgren 'Ronja Räubertochter'
  • Kevade
  • Ten obcy (Ten obcy, #1)
  • Das fliegende Klassenzimmer
  • Die kleine Hexe
  • Honzíkova cesta
  • Pancakes for Findus
  • The Bears on Hemlock Mountain
Astrid Anna Emilia Lindgren, née Ericsson, (1907 - 2002) was a Swedish children's book author and screenwriter, whose many titles were translated into 85 languages and published in more than 100 countries. She has sold roughly 165 million copies worldwide. Today, she is most remembered for writing the Pippi Longstocking books, as well as the Karlsson-on-the-Roof book series.

Awards:
Hans Christian

Barnen i Bullerbyn (6 books)
  • Happy Times in Noisy Village