Start by marking “The Monster Men” as Want to Read:
The Monster Men

Read Book* *Different edition

The Monster Men

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  559 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Man, monster, or jungle god?

They called him Number Thirteen, the latest and best of Dr. von Horn's attempts to make life from lifeless chemicals. He became aware of himself as an almos-human on von Horn's secret jungle island off the coast of Borneo. He saw the monsters that had preceded him and grew used to those dreadful travesties of humanity.

Not until Number Thirteen m
155 pages
Published (first published November 1913)

To ask other readers questions about The Monster Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Monster Men

Steven Harbin
Review of The Monster Men by Edgar Rice Burroughs
Fans of Edgar Rice Burroughs are both legion and loyal, as evidenced by the long lasting popularity of his characters. Tarzan of course is his most famous character, and John Carter of Mars (and Virginia) was the main character of a recent poorly marketed (but I thought still well done) Disney film. However Burroughs was an extremely prolific author, who wrote a lot more than just Tarzan and Martian stories. One of his earliest efforts was this ad
Robert
Feb 15, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Perhaps this pulp would have been more fun without all the racisim and super manly-man hero. Still, the opening chapter to this book has some nice images of horror to it. After that point, meh...
Karl Kindt
Jul 31, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Great pulp fun from the master. Picture Frankenstein mixed with Tarzan...that is the bizarre concoction that is THE MONSTER MEN. The best thing about reading this over most of ERB novels is that you only need to read one and not feel committed to a series. Those who know Tarzan and his Mars series and would rather avoid those because they feel they already know the story but want to try ERB would do well to read this. ERB's style is in as good a form as it is in those series, so go ahead and spe ...more
Nathan Langford
Jan 05, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
His usual style of writing that is not one of main characters. Although I give it one star, I do say I enjoy the fact his 'good guys' are 'good' and 'honorable' without hesitation. And I keep reading his stuff.

I see this book as a Frankenstein/Dr. Moreau cross. And it is interesting that this is really a look at the idea of eugenics which were a hot issue or topic during the time the book was written. It also can be considered as an early look at 'test tube' babies and 'cloning'.
jayson
Jul 07, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was absolutely over the top crazy Burroughs. It kind of wanders all over the place "but hey!, it has monsters, pirates, girls in distress, scheming bad people and mad scientists. Not my fav Burroughs by far but a fun read. Might appeal to those who read enough Burroughs to get into stuff like Pirate Blood and the Mucker.
Michael
Das ist das das schlechtest geschriebene Buch von ERB, das ich bisher gelesen habe. Die reinste Rumpelkiste, in der brauchbare Ideen im erzählerischen Fiasko untergehen.
Und das Schlimmste: entgegen jahrzehntelanger Tradition habe ich bei diesem Urlaub keine anderen Bücher mitgenommen. Na, dann frohe Festtage!
Charles
Jul 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is ERB's answer to "The Island of Dr. Moreau." I have a hardback version from Grossett and Dunlap. It's very strong, I thought.
Neil Davies
Dec 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Despite the sci fi/horror setup with its echoes of Frankenstein and The Island Of Doctor Moreau this is above all else a very good adventure story. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Jon Hembree
Did this one as an audiobook. I listened pretty much every time I was alone in the car. While not a fantastic book, it is an engaging story.
Dr. Maxon is a mad scientist, and travels to the jungles of Borneo, determined to create the perfect human in his lab. His goal is not only to pursue his scientific dreams, but also to create the perfect man for his beautiful daughter Virginia to marry. Because of her beauty, however, Virginia has attracted other would-be pursuers, and the competition for h
wally
Dec 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
17 chapters, 1st one, "the rift" and the 1st sentence:
as he dropped the last grisly fragment of the dismembered and mutilated body into the small vat of nitric acid that was to devour every trace of the horrid evidence which might easily send him to the gallows, the man sank weakly into a chair and throwing his body forward upon his great, teak desk buried his face in his arms, breaking into dry, moaning sobs.

i know the feeling...can't help but empathize. onward and upward.

okay...two chapters re
DNF with Jack Mack
Disturbing, I wonder if it was the eugenics and racist overtones or the story tension that made me disengage. Audiobook review, I like how he portrays his heroines as tigress' as opposed to wilting daisies. It's action packed. Lame review is lame. This will be a skip for anyone but those seeking something in the Frankenstein/Moreau line.
Ralph Carlson
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fast paced Burroughs adventure of captures and rescues.
Brent
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A little different than the average Burroughs adventure, and a little darker. Though I've always believed that E.R.B wasn't quite as one dimensional as many think.
Mary Catelli
This is one of his stand-alones. It takes place in southeast Asia, with savage tribes and monstrous orangutans in his usual style on Earth (as contrasted to under Earth as well as on Mars) -- except that a major factor in it is that a character is a Mad Scientist, out to Create Life, which shifts it into science fiction as least as much as H. G. Wells's The Island of Dr. Moreau.

It opens with Professor Maxon destroying the corpse of a malformed humanoid -- close enough to look human -- that had l
Daniel Robey
 TheGriffinReads
With no Tarzan or John Carter, Edgar Rice Burroughs explores philosophy and science fiction with pirates, star-crossed lovers, failed experiments and an exotic island filled with natives and their magic. The Monster Men mashes up The Island of Dr. Moreau and Shakespeare’s The Tempest to pair his protagonist, monster-man, with , the daughter of brilliant scientist, .
Where Tarzan and John Carter adventures build cyclically with an obvious break between “installments” when read, The Monster Men rol
Bob
Sep 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic-sci-fi
I'm currently trying to read some old-time sci fi to round out my sci fi knowledge, so I got this somewhat on a whim. To my modern sci-fi reading experience, this seemed like a rather odd little book, especially considering the ending. I enjoyed it overall, though.

It has the old-fashioned swashbuckling heroic male saves helpless maiden-in-distress adventure, which isn't my style but I know it was the style of the time so I'll forgive it. Nearing the end I thought it was going to be a fascinating
Stutley Constable
This story seems to be a sort of 'salmagundi' of classic and well tried Burroughs elements. 'Synthetic Men of Mars' meets 'Tarzan' and a few tricks thrown in for good measure.

I read this the first time when I was in high school and as a geeky kid that was something of an outsider I really identified with this tale of adventure. I wanted to be the hero of this story and face the challenges to earn the rewards. Unfortunately, I was just a geeky high school kid with the challenges of a Midwestern
Craig
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: burroughs, pulp
This would be another 5-star Burroughs story if it weren't a bit too dark and violent for my taste. It's a thrilling adventure story about lust, greed, hubris, and what it means to be human. One of Burroughs strong points is stuffing stories to the brim with crazy situations and coincidences, and he certainly doesn't disappoint in this story.

Also, it has one of my favorite opening sentences ever.
William Stafford
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An old-fashioned adventure with the emphasis on old-fashioned. It's a sort of Tarzan on the Island of Dr Moreau mash-up and a quick read thanks to Burroughs's clear and economical style. You wouldn't get away with racial stereotypes like the 'inscrutable Chinaman' today; the world has moved on since this book was written. Taken at face value, this is a diverting, fast-moving tale with some meditations on the nature of what makes humans human.
Shawn
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first ERB book that I haven't enjoyed. This was just pure drivel. Totally interchangeable characters, you could have put any names to the people in this book and it wouldn't have changed anything. You cannot identify or even care about any of them, they are just names put into a plot. And the plot is awful, what I thought would be a good adventure involving science versus nature turned into a book full of chases involving pirates and headhunters...ugh, just bad.
Jeneé
OK so not the best ERB story but I did like it better than The Moon Maid. This book took me forever to finish just because it was difficult to get into. But it picked up towards the end and had a weak but cute ending. I love ERB books because the leading men are always unrealistically brave and strong, and there's nothing wrong with a good old damsel in distress scenario.
Rhona Crawford
A book I started reading to test an updated E reader app. The book was more satisfying than the app. Yes, there's a huge amount of Eurocentric racism in it, but the author is, ultimately, a product of his environment.
Fishface
This was only OK, not great. I guess it was over-hyped to me. High on melodrama, decent on character development, exciting story -- but I kept getting knocked back by all the ignorant, hateful thinking by the characters. It's like watching the dumb make war with the stupid in this story.
Trent
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mix Frankenstein and Island of Dr. Mureau, add a bit more early 1900s racism and erase most of the literary value. I give it two stars because at least the story had some twists and turns, though pretty unbelievable.
Sarah Walker
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it's craziness and predictability. I think Burroughs had alot of fun writing it because it's not really his style. Wonderful romp through pulp fiction. The characters were surrealistic and stereotypic. Fun!
Alan
Aug 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ace-burroughs
An unusual work, for Burroughs. Much more horror/sci-fi than his normal adventure works. I thought that he was going to make an interesting observation/comment on what makes a human, but in the end, Burroughs decides to keep it simple and easy.
Jim
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An exciting adventure by Tarzan author Edgar Rice Burroughs. A mad scientist creating monsters. A chase in a jungle. Headhunters--and orang utans. One of my favorites of all ERB's books. Read it back in elementary school and find I still enjoy it today!
Alex
Feb 28, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Predictable and beyond stupid.
Maya
Aug 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ending is kind of lame, and I question why Bulan learned English so easily but couldn't pick up any native tongues. That said, it's got all the elements of an early twentieth century sci-fi classic.
  • Dwellers in the Mirage
  • Almuric
  • Dare
  • The Defiant Agents (Time Traders/Ross Murdock, #3)
  • Edgar Rice Burroughs' Tarzan: The Land That Time Forgot
  • Lost Legacy
  • Planets of Adventure
  • The Door Through Space
  • The Czar Of Fear (Doc Savage, #22)
  • The Complete H.P. Lovecraft Reader (68 Stories)
  • The Wheels of Chance: A Bicycling Idyll
  • The People Of The Crater
  • The Castle of the Otter
  • Wolf of the Steppes: The Complete Cossack Adventures, Volume One
  • The Helmsman
Edgar Rice Burroughs was an American author, best known for his creation of the jungle hero Tarzan and the heroic John Carter, although he produced works in many genres.
More about Edgar Rice Burroughs...
“As he dropped the last grisly fragment of the dismembered and mutilated body into the small vat of nitric acid that was to devour every trace of the horrid evidence which might easily send him to the gallows, the man sank weakly into a chair and throwing his body forward upon his great, teak desk buried his face in his arms, breaking into dry, moaning sobs.” 2 likes