Start by marking “Rough Beasts of Empire (Star Trek: Typhon Pack, #3)” as Want to Read:
Rough Beasts of Empire (Star Trek: Typhon Pack, #3)

Rough Beasts of Empire (Star Trek: Typhon Pact #3)

Still on Romulus in pursuit of his goal of reunifying the Vulcans and Romulans, Spock finds himself in the middle of a massive power struggle. In the wake of the assassination of the Praetor and the Senate, the Romulans have cleaved in two. While Empress Donatra has led her nascent Imperial Romulan State to establish relations with the Federation, Praetor Tal& ...more
Published January 4th 2014 by Pocket Books/Star Trek (first published December 28th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Rough Beasts of Empire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rough Beasts of Empire

Nicole
Nov 24, 2011 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Third Typhon Pact book focusing on Spock on Romulus, the Romulan people, Benjamin Sisko and the Tzenkethi.

I enjoyed the Spock part of the story and loved reading about the Romulans - they're always interesting. Scheming, devious, always several steps ahead and never disclosing all they know. Would have liked more Donatra time, though. Bringing the Vulcans and Romulans closer feels logical and sensible (in general, not just in this book) as they're basically 'cousins' who chose different paths i
Kristen
Jun 21, 2012 Kristen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek, 2012
I feel conflicted giving this just one star. It's Star Trek, therefore I love it. But honestly. WTF was this? I mean, other than boring. Sisko left his wife and kid? Not in character. Spock, one of the most interesting characters in all of Trekdom, got turned boring. How does one even DO that? I just can't buy it.

You know, I really, REALLY like that they are continuing the story lines of all the Trek series past the end of their respective series or movies. But I DO NOT LIKE how all of the nove
C.T. Phipps
Jan 19, 2016 C.T. Phipps rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Rough Beasts of Empire is yet another novel in the continuing epic political drama of the Typhon Pact.

As the cover indicates, the book is primarily about Captain Benjamin Sisko and Spock. The book is, obviously, set before the events of Star Trek (2009) when the latter departed the original Star Trek universe forever.

Benjamin Sisko's return isn't in this book but, I confess, a certain ambivalence to it in general. When he left to join the Prophets, I thought he was never going to return. That
Daniel
Sep 01, 2012 Daniel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Normally, I give most Star Trek novels at least three stars, books about DS9 usually get more, but this book was more upsetting than enjoyable. The Spock portion about the Romulan Empire was quite fascinating, political wheels within wheels all leading to a finale no one could have predicted. The way the leaders of both Romulan states meet their fates shows how tenuous the Typhon Pact can quickly become if members became aware of how other members manipulate their governments to achieve results ...more
Mritty
May 23, 2011 Mritty rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is just a terribly disappointing book. It is two completely different stories, one involving Spock and the reunification movement in the two Romulan Empires, one involving Sisko and his inner turmoil. The Sisko storyline is an abomination. There is no actual "story" to it. It is just page after page of Sisko being emo and mopey. Indeed, it seems like the author wanted to create a story about a character's depression, but in finding that there were no suitable characters in the Star Trek ens ...more
Micah
Jan 07, 2014 Micah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised to read about Capt. Sisko's character development. I don't recall reading any books that took place between the time DS9 ended and this book that suggested the Ben Sisko I grew up with would have this kind of turn. The usual strong, decision maker that lead the Federation through the Dominion conflict is developed into an overthinking, detached emotionalist that seems unable to truly grasp the reason & results of his actions. Don't get me wrong, there is probably a reason to ...more
John Christensen
This book was a mess. A reasonably good political tale about the Romulans that included Spock, combined with a terrible story involving some sort of mutant emo version of Sisko that literally went nowhere except to let us know that the author had no real idea of what to do with Sisko. Very disappointing, when compared to the generally high level of quality both during and after Star Trek: Destiny.
Cliff Ball
Jan 03, 2011 Cliff Ball rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like how the post TNG Star Trek has these novels all link together. What happens in the Typhon Pact novels shows up in some other novel that isn't exactly in the same storyline, but, it is in the same universe. I also like how Star Trek now is more a political thriller that also happens to be a science fiction series.
Krista D.
May 22, 2013 Krista D. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Struggled to get through this one. I didn't care about the entire Spock end of things and, by mid-book, starting skipping entire chapters.

I think the characterization of Sisko was laughably off. I'm fine with people changing their opinions and wants/needs, but there are some fundamental things that don't change. Sisko fundamentally changed.
Jaime
Jul 25, 2013 Jaime rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A book with two of the most important and established characters in the Star Trek universe, you'd think this book be better. Nope. Total disappointment. Just a waste of these characters time. Hopefully, the rest of the novels left in this series are better.
Crystal Bensley
Jul 22, 2015 Crystal Bensley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great Romulan focused story- nice to see Spock and Reunification still making waves.
Bryan Williams
Sep 21, 2013 Bryan Williams rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans
Unfortunately, after the highs of the second book in the Typhon Pact series, "Seize the Fire" focusing on the crew of the Titan and the Gorn, "Rough Beasts of Empire," hits a nadir. This book focuses on the divided Romulan Empire, and also marginally on the lesser known and mysterious Tzenkethi. This book is split into three story arcs - or maybe 2.5. One story arc focuses on Spock and his reunification movement, and on the political intrigue between the Romulan Star Empire lead by Praetor Tal'A ...more
Victoria Mitchell
Oct 07, 2014 Victoria Mitchell rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not a lot of this story is about the Typhon pact. It was so boring and hard to finish.
Nicky2910
Star Trek: Typhon Pact: #3 Rough Beasts of Empire by David R. George III The main weakness of Rough Beasts is perhaps the quite clean division of its plotthreads. On the one hand we have Spock, his reunification movement, the developments in Romulan space and the founding of the Typhon Pact, on the other a Sisko who somehow reverted to the beginning of DS9 in attitude, self-esteem and approachability perhaps.Honestly, I never quite understood the rationale behind Spock's reunification movement. ...more
Jake
Jul 07, 2012 Jake rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I usually don't comment on my light reading unless they are horrible. This book is horrible. I've never hated a book as much as this one. The rampant character assassination is just painful.

Beware Spoilers...

The third book in the recent Typhon Pact series. This book focuses on Spock's work on Romulus and what Ben Sisko has been up to since we last saw him. This is not really a Deep Space Nine book, but it does have cameos from characters who we last read about in The Soul Key. The Spock and Sis
Alex
Jan 09, 2011 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third installment of the Typhon Pact series, the four novels that explore the newly formed galactic alliance prepped by the good folks of Pocket Books’ Star Trek division to be the new, chief adversary of the Federation in the post-Destiny - and therefore post-Borg - universe. After the Breen and the Gorn, this time it’s the Romulans’ turn to be the focus of the story. And as baseball aficionado Benjamin Sisko would say, it’s a whole ’nother ball game.

Unlike the Breen and the Gorn, t
Derek Oberg
First, the good. The story line with the dividing of the Romulan Empire has been ongoing for a number of books now, and I've thoroughly enjoyed it. That story line comes to a close here, with Spock in the same place he was last seen (at the time) after the Next Generation guest spot Nimoy did. Romulan political games are usually pretty entertaining, and Spock thrown into the mix with Tal'aura and Dontara doesn't disappoint.

But then there's the Sisko story line... (And this is also the point wher
John Kirk
Aug 07, 2014 John Kirk rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
This is the third Typhon Pact novel that I've read, but it would have made more sense to read it first, since it sets up some stuff with Vaughn that affects the other novels.

I originally thought that each novel was going to focus on one species from the pact, but this does two: Romulans and Tzenkethi. It's not bad, and I appreciate what the author has done to make the Tzenkethi feel like a genuinely alien species (rather than just humans with funny noses). However, it's not great either.

(view sp
Jarezal
La saga del Typhon Pact parte de una premisa interesante. Unir a varios de los rivales de la Federación en una nueva potencia y de paso descubrir más sobre algunas de las razas de la saga.

En Zero Sum Game fue el turno de los Breen. El libro nos presentó una cultura interesante pero para mi gusto la historia se vio lastrada por una mala caracterización de los personajes.

En Seize the Fire se profundizó en los Gorn. Personalmente ni la raza ni la historia me pareció demasiado llamativa. Quitando al
Lars
Aug 09, 2014 Lars rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Rough Beasts of Empire, the third book in Star Trek's Typhon Pact series, really made me start questioning what the point of the Typhon Pact mini-series really is. The story deals with Spock on Romulus where he's still trying to reunite the Romulan and Vulcan societies and Ben Sisko who decides to leave his family (!) and re-enlists with Starfleet.

Both stories fail to work. The Romulan political intrigue is dull, plodding and clichéd. There is backstabbing, backroom dealing and infighting on suc
Eric
Oct 03, 2015 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting series in that it is much more an exploration of the adversaries encountered in the Star Trek universe than it is stand alone adventures from the different shows.

Each book so far, has taken individual characters out of their usual environment and entangled them into a specific culture that has been at odds with the Federation. So far we've scrapped with the Breen, the Gorn and now the Romulans.

There are really two stories here; first, Spock is still on Romulus still trying
Mirrani
Typhon Pact seems to have been a somewhat backward series. It was in this third book that I realized some of the things that happened in the first one. Don’t let the cover fool you, this chapter of the saga is based mostly on the Romulan/Vulcan Reunification movement and only slightly on Sisko’s return to service.

While it has some very good quotes, true to the typical writing of the shows and there were times that it felt almost as if the words were spoken by the actual characters themselves, I
Jeff
May 07, 2011 Jeff rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jeff by: found it on the library shelves
Shelves: science-fiction
Not having read the previous two titles in the Typhon Pact run, maybe I was missing something, but this novel left me unsatisfied overall and downright confused about Ben Sisko's actions and attitude.

I've always found Captain Sisko unique among starship captains, a fascinating blend of action and reflection, dedication to duty and devotion to fatherhood, spirituality and physicality. In RBE, he comes across helpless, irresponsible, self-absorbed, and weak. Sure, he's got the weight of the proph
Sharon
Rough Beasts of Empire is the Third Book in the Star Trek Typhon Pact Series.

This is an odd book. Odd in that it tells a split story. One part of the book is about Spock who is still on Romulus working toward Vulcan/Romulan Unification. A good chunk of this story includes political machinations and the interworkings of the Romulan political class.

The other part is about Sisko, former commander of DS9. He has returned from his time with the Prophets and is convinced they have 'left' him. He bel
Phil Howell
The cover of this book is very deceiving. Spock and Sisko have very little to do with the actual plot. They never even meet in the book.

The plot revolves mainly around the Romulans. They've been split into two distinct nations, one of which is a member of the titular Typhon Pact, and one of which is not. The reuniting of the Romulan Empire is, then, the crux of the story. How are Spock and Sisko involved? Tangentially at best. They could have been completely removed from the book, and I think I
Jim
Maurice Jr.
Feb 26, 2012 Maurice Jr. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spock and the Reunification Movement, Captain Ben Sisko and his new command and the still divided Romulan Empire are in the spotlight here.

I enjoyed the ongoing saga of the Typhon Pact with a look at the Romulan Star Empire (and a bit about the Tzenkethi to boot). I figured the Empire and the Imperial Romulan State wouldn't coexist forever, and I figured there'd be some backstabbing, some plotting and planning and some outright treachery involved in resolving the whole divided empire situation.
Nis
Aug 24, 2015 Nis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book felt weirdly disjointed. 1 stars

There Spock/Romulan storyline has some interesting bits, but too much of the scheming and planning happens off screen, so you can never really get a good feeling of why people did what they did, and why it was supposed to seem terribly clever. And in the end we just end with a number of recognizable characters killed, just to return the empire to the status quo. Not much fun in that.

The Tzenkethi are the new aliens, and some parts are interesting enough,
Wayland Smith
I enjoy most Star Trek books, and the crossover events are usually really enjoyable. Typhon pact overall has been pretty good. This one particular book, a bit less so.

It's an interesting pairing, Ambassador Spock and Captain Cisco. Spock's dedication to the Reunification of Romulus and Vulcan makes a lot of sense, and is a fitting goal for someone so brilliant and long-lived. Cicso is a compelling character,especially after his time with the Prophets.

Yet for all that potential, this fell short o
Bernard Doddema Jr
Yes, believe it or not, I marked down a Star Trek novel as only 2 stars. I was not happy with this book at all. I understand the Star Trek universe is now screwed with the new game: Star Trek Online. It just seemed the majority of the book was backstory for STO.

Sisko was a complete disappointment. I used to love the guy. C'mon, what's not to love...he punched Q!! Classic! He was a combination of Kirk and Picard. Now he's leaving his wife and child because the Prophets don't talk to him anymore.
  • Paths of Disharmony (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #4)
  • Seize the Fire (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #2)
  • Zero Sum Game (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #1)
  • Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2)
  • Brinkmanship (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #8)
  • Indistinguishable from Magic (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Losing the Peace (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Children of the Storm (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Sword of Damocles (Star Trek Titan #4)
  • Fearful Symmetry (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #66)
  • Glass Empires (Star Trek: Mirror Universe)
  • The Struggle Within (Star Trek: Typhon Pact #5)
  • Star Trek: Strange New Worlds IV
  • Rising Son (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Q & A (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • Before Dishonor (Star Trek The Next Generation)

Star Trek: Typhon Pact (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • A Singular Destiny (Star Trek)
  • Zero Sum Game (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #1)
  • Seize the Fire (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #2)
  • Paths of Disharmony (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #4)
  • The Struggle Within (Star Trek: Typhon Pact #5)
  • Plagues of Night (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #6)
  • Raise the Dawn (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #7)
  • Brinkmanship (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #8)
  • Revelation and Dust (Star Trek: The Fall)
  • The Crimson Shadow (Star Trek: Typhon Pact)