Jump to ratings and reviews

Pippi Långstrump #1

Pippi Longstocking

Tommy and his sister Annika have a new neighbor, and her name is Pippi Longstocking. She has crazy red pigtails, no parents to tell her what to do, a horse that lives on her porch, and a flair for the outrageous that seems to lead to one adventure after another!

160 pages, Mass Market Paperback

First published January 1, 1945

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Astrid Lindgren

755 books3,158 followers
Astrid Anna Emilia Lindgren, née Ericsson, (1907 - 2002) was a Swedish children's book author and screenwriter, whose many titles were translated into 85 languages and published in more than 100 countries. She has sold roughly 165 million copies worldwide. Today, she is most remembered for writing the Pippi Longstocking books, as well as the Karlsson-on-the-Roof book series.

Awards:
Hans Christian Andersen Award for Writing (1958)

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
7,615 (4%)
1 star
2,845 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 4,658 reviews
Profile Image for Elyse Walters.
3,849 reviews34.9k followers
May 14, 2017
I'm in bed - again -today with some type of nasty bug - a relapse from last week...a traveling flu bug? cold? allergies? It's now in my chest...
Right when I'm reading the interview on Goodreads from Fredrick Backman about his new-HIT- novel BEARTOWN - my doorbell rings. A delivery guy brought a huge vase of flowers from our daughter, Katy. Tomorrow is Mother's Day! (sweet daughter)
Paul got the door - brought the flowers to the nightstand next to my bed. I told Paul what I had just read about Fredrick Backman. ( brought back memories for us)

When Backman was asked what his favorite books were, he said...."his biggest hero is Astrid Lindgren who wrote "Pippi Longstocking" and his favorite book of all time "The Brothers Lionheart".....,( a book I'm now curious to read myself).....

Paul and I immediately started thinking about our daughter who played the title role of Pippi Longstocking in the world premiere Bay Area musical when she was 11 years old. While looking at my mother's Day flowers from our 35 year old daughter.... Fredrick brought back an abundance of memories.
The copy of this book is packed away in a keepsake box. It's filled with lots signatures from cast members... congrats- luv notes from mom & dad.
The play was performed at The Montgomery theater - downtown San Jose. Tons of production work went into a 'new pre-premier' musical.
In the opening scene ....Katy had those red funny looking braids in her hair -A red and white striped T-shirt.... Red and white striped leggings... and roller skates on her feet. The stage was empty... The opening musical number begins with her skating onto the stage singing a very catchy solo tune - long run-together-rhythmic- sentences singing - while skating - that she is "Pippi Longstocking", The strongest Little Girl in the World"...

The play followed the book - plus music. -- Great story... with a monkey - a horse - and two best friends. Great cast - fun show - lots of happiness from everyone.

There is one very sad part of this memory. About six months after this show ended - the director ( not musical director), died of AIDS. It was the very first person that our daughter knew who died of AIDS. He was a young talented wonderful man. Before he died...( a couple of weeks before)..... there was a huge "life celebration" in Don's honor. Don was in a wheelchair at Vasona Park. Families and friends, people in his theater world kids in the Pippi show all came. I remember like yesterday. Still brings tears to my eyes. -- so.... Pippi was the last play he directed too!

If I had not read "The Goodreads", interview with *Fredrick Backman*, today ( mail backed up for weeks)....I would have missed this recall memory....
Thank you .... for those who read this.

Wishing ALL THE CARETAKERS of children ... and Mothers everywhere a HAPPY MOTHER'S day tomorrow!!!!
Profile Image for Fergus, Quondam Happy Face.
933 reviews17.6k followers
February 4, 2023
Back in 1957, my Mom's village library opened to a steady stream of visitors. One of my Mom's favourite strategies (probably at the direction of her Library Board, though at that time it was her own pet project too) was to provide our town with a plethora of kid's books.

It was the Baby Boom.

Kids were everywhere, even though our typical town's size at first was small. As the birth rate increased, so did the need for entertainment to keep the kids happy, and few of us had a TV in the mid fifties. Salaries were low after the War, so good libraries were a MUST.

After the supermarkets, banks and liquor stores, new libraries ranked high in those burgeoning burbs - along with new churches (we still believed back then!) - on the priority list of must-have new buildings.

And the summer before the library opened, Mom was a one-woman army of industry, cataloguing new books on our kitchen table. Pippi was one of the first.

Mom was every bit as headstrong and self-willed as Pippi, and she urged me to read it. I did, but it was all about a tom-girl - and back then I was already introverted, and preferred tales of adventure like Robin Hood, or Classics Illustrated Comics. So Pippi bored me more than the books I could dream to.

Until I met Marilyn Buck - a real-life Pippi - in 1958.

Marilyn pitched hay and fed the animals - she loved horses especially - at old Mr. Canter's farm. The farm perched on the hill overlooking the library. She was rangy and raucous and we all loved her. She even had a protruding set of front teeth to match her name (braces were not yet fashionable).

But Mr. Canter had realized, when a rich land developer approached him with an offer he couldn't refuse, that his time was best spent in a less demanding way. He retired.

Why not? - he was now very rich by old-time standards. His farmland would become the community of Meadowlands (appropriate name!) directly behind our post-war bungalow.

And Marilyn?

She became one of the first student Pages in Mom's library. So we became friends. She probably taught me to be contrarious in my reading and attitudes - we were both Aspies, you see.

Like Pippi? :-)

I joined the library in the same role soon after, leaving only when my paper route and homework grew too demanding. It got so I had my own sorta TBR list at that time - just stack 'em up and check 'em out!

So Pippi and Mom and Marilyn taught me about myself in those years:

I was different.

I craved my own company.

And I READ.

And you know what my books over the past sixty-five years have showed me?

Everything I had always wanted to know about myself -

But was always too afraid to ask!
Profile Image for Ahmad Sharabiani.
9,568 reviews55.5k followers
September 25, 2021
Pippi Långstrump = Pippi Longstocking, Astrid Lindgren

Pippi Longstocking is the main character in an eponymous series of children's books by the Swedish author Astrid Lindgren. Pippi was named by Lindgren's daughter Karin, then nine years old like Pippi, who asked her mother for a get-well story when she was off school.

Pippi is red-haired, freckled, unconventional and superhumanly strong – able to lift her horse one-handed. She is playful and unpredictable. She often makes fun of unreasonable adults, especially if they are pompous and condescending.

Her anger comes out in extreme cases, such as when a man ill-treats his horse. Pippi, like Peter Pan, does not want to grow up. She is the daughter of a buccaneer captain and has adventure stories to tell about that too. Her four best friends are her horse and monkey, and the neighbours' children, Tommy and Annika.

عنوانهای چاپ شده در ایران: «پی پی جوراب بلند»؛ «فی فی جوراب بلند»؛ نویسنده: آسترید لیندگرن؛ تاریخ نخستین خوانش روز دهم ماه دسامبر سال 2010میلادی

عنوان: پی پی جوراب بلند؛ نویسنده: آسترید لیندگرن؛ مترجم: گلی امامی؛ تهران، ؟، 1349، در 152ص؛ چاپ دیگر تهران، هرمس، 1378؛ چاپ دیگر سال 1379؛ 1381؛ شابک 9646641784؛ شابک دوره 9647100930؛ چاپ ششم 1394؛ در 173ص؛ شابک 9786001216626؛ موضوع داستانهای نویسندگان سوئد - سده 20م

مترجم: فرزانه کریمی؛ ویراستار: حسین فتاحی؛ تهران، قدیانی، بنفشه، 1380؛ در 135ص؛ شابک 9644173346؛ چاپ دیگر 1382؛ در سه جلد؛ عنوان: جلد یک «پی پی جوراب بلند»؛ عنوان جلد دو «پی پی به کشتی میرود»؛ عنوان جلد سه «پی پی در دریاهای جنوب»؛

مترجمین دیگر آقاین: «بهمن رستم آبادی»؛ و «قاسم صفوی» با عنوان: «فی فی جوراب بلند»؛ نیز این کتاب را ترجمه کرده اند

فهرست: «در باره پی پی و آفریننده ی آن»؛ «آمدن پی پی جوراب بلند به کلبه ی ویلکولا»؛ «چیز پیدا کن شدن پی پی»؛ «گرگم به هوای پی پی با پاسبانها»؛ «رفتن پی پی به مدرسه»؛ «از درخت بالا رفتن پی پی»؛ «پی پی در تدارک یک پیک نیک»؛ «پی پی به سیرک میرود»؛ «آمدن دزدها به منزل پی پی»؛ «مهمانی رفتن پی پی»؛ «پی پی قهرمان میشود»؛ «جشن تولد پی پی»؛

پی‌ پی در این داستان‌ها، دختربچه‌ ای نه ساله است، که هماره آزاد و دور از والدین، به‌ سر می‌برد؛ او دخترکی شاد، و مهربان است، که موهای سرخی دارد، پدرش سلطان جزیره ی آدمخوارهاست، و زورش به هر آدمی می‌رسد؛ «پی پی» با میمون کوچولویی، به نام آقای «نیلسون»، و یک اسب زندگی می‌کند؛ رفتار او، کاملاً ناهمگون با هم‌سن‌های خویش است، و شخصیتی جسور، و نیرویی شگرف دارد، به‌ طوری که اسب خود را یک‌ دستی بلند می‌کند؛ همه کسانی که او را می‌شناسند، او را عجیب و غریب می‌دانند؛ او روش ویژه‌ ای برای انجام کارهایش دارد، که همه را به شگفتی وامی‌دارد؛

بچه‌ ها او را دوست دارند، و با او به آن‌ها خیلی خوش می‌گذرد؛ و اما «آدم بزرگ‌ها» گاهی از دست او خشمگین می‌شوند؛ اما «پی پی» می‌گوید: «شما از بچه‌ ای که مادرش تو آسمانهاست، و پدرش پادشاه آدم خورها، چه انتظاری دارید»؛

زندگی او پر از ماجراست، و بهترین دوستانش، «تامی» و «آنیکا»، در همگی ماجراها، و همیشه با او هستند؛ آنها برای خودشان جشن می‌گیرند، برای همگی بچه‌ های شهر، هدیه، و شکلات می‌خرند؛ به جزیره آدمخوارها می‌روند؛ با بچه‌ های بومی جزیره، غارهای زیبایی را کشف؛ و کوشش می‌کنند، که هیچوقت بزرگ نشوند؛ او هماره، بزرگسالان خودخواه را، مسخره، و «خیط» می‌کند، و این رفتارش، معمولاً برای کودکان خوانشگر، سرگرم‌ کننده است

نقل از متن پشت جلد: («پی پی» سه تا تخم مرغ برداشت، و به هوا پرتاب کرد؛ یکی از تخم مرغ ها خورد روی سرش و شکست، و زرده ی آن به روی صورتش سرازیر شد؛ بعد همانطور که چشمهایش را پاک میکرد، گفت: «من همیشه شنیده بودم که زرده ی تخم مرغ به مو قوت میده؛ حالا خواهید دید موهای من با چه سرعتی رشد میکنه؛ در «برزیل» به همین دلیل همه تخم مرغ به سر، این طرف و آن طرف میروند، و حتی یک نفر هم کچل نیست؛ یک وقتی یک پیرمرد عجیبی بود، که تخم مرغهایش را به جای اینکه به سرش بمالد، میخورد؛ خوب طبعا کچل شده بود، و به محض اینکه میآمد تو خیابون، تمام ماشینها از حرکت میایستادند، به طوری که مجبور میشدند پلیس را خبر کنند.) پایان نقل از متن پشت جلد

تاریخ بهنگام رسانی 11/09/1399هجری خورشیدی؛ 02/07/1400هجری خورشیدی؛ ا. شربیانی
Profile Image for Annet.
570 reviews709 followers
January 2, 2020
I used to feel connected to Pippi as a kid. Because I had red/orange hair ;-) I was even called Pippi Langkous (the Dutch translation) sometimes then.. I swear I have this photo of myself as a kid, spitting image then, now my hair is white/orange mixed, I'm sure Pippi would have the same as an older and still eccentric lady? :-)
I remember my mother, when I was a little kid, used to deck me out in a two piece suit, skirt and jacket and top it off with red stockings. I really used to hate that, didn't dare go out of the house LOL. And she made two ponytails sticking out of my head... Pippi revived :-)
Most of all I loved her adventurous, free spirit. I have named our house 'Villa Kakelbont'.
Lovely adventures, great stories! Astrid Lindgren really wrote great children's books, so adventurous, so out of the box. Loved the tv series too.
Profile Image for Lisa.
971 reviews3,331 followers
February 14, 2018
I think Swedish schools today are far too influenced by Astrid Lindgren's most famous character!

There is not a single person in this country who doesn't know the story of how Pippi Långstrump started school. Her friends Tommy and Annika told her that they get to have a "Christmas break", and Pippi, always staying home on her own, and therefore not entitled to a "break", thinks that is unfair.

"Orättvist" is by far the word I hear most often in my conversations with Swedish adolescents, and it always refers to their sense of egotistical justice - "I have all the rights, and none of the duties!"

Pippi, in any case, goes to school to be able to participate in the holidays, and she does it in the modern Swedish way: arriving whenever it suits her, shouting out her opinions and comments without being asked, questioning the content of the lessons and the authority of her far too kind and meek teacher, and then leaving again when she considers she has had enough.

Well, this was a fun imaginary school situation in Sweden in 1945, when Astrid Lindgren wrote the story, and it still is in most of the rest of the world (at least in the school systems I know). In Sweden, this is exactly what it is like to go to school nowadays!

And in a class of 30 students, we have more than half a class of Pippi characters, and some shy, intimidated Tommys and Annikas, trying their best to learn while the Pippis do whatever they feel like.

I am a die-hard fan of Astrid Lindgren, she is the only author I know almost entirely by heart, and I wouldn't want to change the fictional character of Pippi one bit!

But I am a bit worried that this has become reality - and as so often when fiction turns into truth, there are some scary elements. Putting the child in focus, and empowering it, is a beautiful idea, but we need some rules and boundaries for the Pippis of the world. The Swedish children of today are growing up believing that they can make up whatever answers they want and get away with it (5+7=67 or something, says Pippi!), and that justice means to get the best deal out of each argument without any duties or responsibilities attached.

The students have become too lazy to actually read Pippi Longstocking as an effect. So, for the love of learning and literature, I would like Pippi to go back to school!

And take her feet off the table...
April 24, 2019
[Original review, Sep 4 2018]

I'm trying to improve my miserable Italian, and when we were in Italy a couple of weeks ago I bought a bunch of children's books, intending to use my normal method of just reading them without a dictionary and picking things up. So far, it's working well. I loved Il Mago di Oz, and this one was also very enjoyable. I think I'd read about two-third of the episodes previously in Swedish or German, but some of them were new.

Reading in a language you're not familiar with forces you to slow down and think about what you're seeing. When I've read Pippi before, I've simply enjoyed the story, which is hilarious. But this time, crawling along in my Italian first gear, I started to wonder whether there was any underlying message beneath the non-stop stream of jokes. It seems to me that there is. Pippi cares deeply about children's rights. She is always on the child's side against the adults, and now she makes me think about how we don't, in fact, care very much about children's rights.

The fact that children have very few real rights is highlighted by the fact that it is, as far as I know, universally accepted that they should not have the right to vote. Of course, the adults have their arguments well prepared: children are too young to know how to use their votes intelligently, they'd just be manipulated by unscrupulous adult politicians, etc. These arguments would sit better if they hadn't also been used against the idea of enfranchising women. Switzerland was very late to the table here, and only gave women the vote in 1971. A few months ago, we saw an exhibition of posters from the two referendum campaigns. The No side kept making the point that those poor women just wouldn't know how to use the power they'd receive, and would be tugged in all directions by forces they didn't comprehend. Well, that may be true: but unfortunately, it applies equally well to male voters. In fact, giving women the vote seems to have worked out fine for Switzerland.

I wonder what would happen if the voting age were reduced to nine, the age that Tommy, Annika and Pippi are in the book. Maybe those kids would make crazy decisions, like voting to abolish homework and give themselves extra candy every day. Or maybe they'd do something even crazier, and vote for massive investment in renewable energy, better education, and higher taxes to pay for all of it. This strikes me as pretty sensible strategy for people who are expecting to spend the next sixty or seventy years living here: they'd be more inclined to think long-term. Why is it obvious that they would make worse decisions than voters at the other end of their lives, who tend to be equally hazy about the issues and won't have to deal with the consequences for very long? No one would dream of taking the vote away from pensioners; but somehow, it seems equally far-fetched to give the vote to children.

Of course, it won't happen: at the end of the day, the adult voters would never approve it, because it would mean giving up too much power. The only possible chance would be if a child emerged who had the charisma and strength to organise the kids, create the movement, and lead it to success. But there is no such child. Children aren't like that, and so the adults are safe.

Ah, if only the heroine of this book existed. Pippi for president!
___________________
[Update, Apr 24 2019]

Correction: Greta Thunberg for president!

Well, you gotta admit I was close.
September 17, 2015
Since I love Scandinavian authors and review many Swedish and Norwegian novels, I'm often asked what the best language is if you're planning to read one in translation. It's early days yet, but I'm starting to feel more and more certain that the answer is German. Just like Komet im Mumintal , which I read last year, Pippi Langstrumpf was an absolute winner and felt 100% authentic. It was exactly like reading it in Swedish: the melody of the sentences was the same, the word-play was the same, and, most important, Pippi's voice was the same. In English, it somehow doesn't quite work, and she often comes across as bratty or insane. Here, the spell is never broken. She is the coolest, bravest, funniest person in the world; Tommy and Annika can't help loving her with all their little hearts, and neither could I. If you can't appreciate this wonderful book in the original, read it in German and you'll hardly miss anything at all.

Heja Pippi! And, by the way, thank you for telling all those amazing barefaced lies. It's totally put me in the right frame of mind for writing the project proposal I'm supposed to be finishing this evening. I guess I'd better get back to doing that.
Profile Image for Manybooks.
3,009 reviews104 followers
December 25, 2022
Astrid Lindgren's Pippi Longstocking (originally published in Swedish as Pippi Långstrump in 1945) is likely one of the most well-known and famous Swedish children's books of all time; it has been translated into more than 50 languages and is even today globally beloved and admired.

And the original concept for Pippi Långstrump originated in 1944, when Astrid Lindgren's then seven year old daughter was ill with pneumonia and Lindgren told her imaginative stories about a fantastical and mischievous little girl named Pippi Longstocking (Pippi Långstrump). The stories were thus originally orally transmitted and might even have remained so, if Astrid Lindgren herself had not hurt her ankle later that same year. While she was recuperating, Lindgren decided to put the Pippi Longstocking stories to paper. One of the manuscripts she presented to her daughter as a birthday present, the other Lindgren sent to a Swedish publishing house (Bonnier). Well, Bonnier rejected the manuscript, but as in the meantime, Astrid Lindgren had won second place for a traditional girls' story in a writing competition sponsored by renowned Swedish publisher Rabén & Sjörgen, she decided to rewrite the "Pippi Longstocking" manuscript and submit it to the same competition and awards committee (for the following year); Lindgren's story promptly won first prize, and the novel was published as Pippi Långstrump by Rabén & Sjörgen.

Now not only do I find the history of the origins and publication details of Pippi Longstocking fascinating for its own sake, the whole and entire fact that the Pippi stories originated as oral tales also shows that oral tradition is indeed still alive and well, that oral story-telling has not been all that greatly diminished by books, by the written tradition (that oral story telling still engenders, still often is the birthplace of the written word).

So with regard to the novel itself, I originally read Pippi Longstocking in German (as Pippi Langstrumpf) when I was nine years old; in fact, my recent reread is the very first time I have actually encountered Pippi Longstocking in English. And although I do fondly remember enjoying reading about Pippi Longstocking in 1975 and in fact count Astrid Lindgren as one of my all-time favourite children's authors, Pippi Longstocking herself has actually never been one of my most beloved Lindgren characters by any stretch of the imagination (since I have always liked Madicken, Emil, the children of Noisy Village, Lotta and Ronja considerably more than I have ever managed with Pippi). But while I have certainly gained a greater appreciation and love for Pippi Longstocking as a character as a result of my recent textual encounter with Pippi Longstocking in English translation, Pippi as an Astrid Lindgren character is still not an absolute favourite, nor do I think that she will ever become one.

And yes, I do think that my GR friend Emily has hit the nail on the head when she mentioned in a discussion thread on Pippi Longstocking in the Children's Literature Group that she would enjoy Pippi Longstocking much more as a character if she were not so invincible, if she did not possess such unlimited powers and wealth. For to me, Pippi's superhuman strength and general invincibility have actually tended to make at least some of the episodes a bit dull and monotonous, as there really is never much tension, or the possibility of Pippi failing, perhaps not rescuing the children from the fire, perchance falling out of the tree (there is never even the possibility of that, for Pippi is like a superhero). Because well, as charming and irrepressible as Pippi Longstocking is, I have always found her a tad too fantastical and extreme to readily identify with and get to know on a personal and intimate basis; she is an amusing and fun character, but I cannot really call her a true kindred spirit (and maybe that is also why when I read Pippi Longstocking in German as a nice year old, I was not really interested in continuing on with the sequels).

Furthermore, one rather important and also interesting aspect of Pippi Longstocking as a story which I noticed while rereading the novel as an adult is that while on the surface, Pippi Longstocking might appear as the invincible super-child (a bit like Peter Pan almost and also presenting herself a bit like a trickster figure), who can do anything, feels confident everywhere, is a wonderful and imaginative playmate, and can always outsmart and outmaneuver the grown-ups and their often petty and for a child incomprehensible rules and regulations, there is also a deep element of sadness and loneliness in present Pippi Longstocking as well. For ippi is actually quite alone in the world, and much of her "misbehaving" is not caused by willful and and deliberate rebellion, but because the girl has no one to care for her, to show her the ins and outs, the do's and don'ts of society (except, of course, Tommy and Annika, but they are themselves children and just learning). Thus, while Pippi Lonstocking might have a suitcase full of gold, and lives alone, on her own terms in a quasi children's paradise, she is also lonely at times and in need of both human contact and loving care. And no, this loving care would and should not be the kind of "care" envisioned in Pippi Longstocking by the supposedly concerned townspeople (being an orphanage), but a loving individual, or a loving family, who would adopt Pippi, accept her imagination, quirks, attitudes and ideas, while at the same time provide guidance and teaching. Pippi's loneliness despite her wealth and seemingly charmed and charming life and lifestyle, her sadness whenever she realises she has made a mistake (and realises she has made a mistake, precisely because she has neither a father nor mother anymore to guide her), has made me connect with and to her during my recent reread in a manner that I have never been able to do before; and albeit that Pippi Longstocking will never take the place in my heart of Astrin Lindgren characters like Madicken and Emil, I have come to both appreciate and personally love her.

And finally, I would also like to mention that Pippi Longstocking is definitely a book which I would love to be able to rate with half stars, because, if half stars were possible, I would be giving 3.5 stars to Pippi Longstocking. But since I consider the novel to be a high 3.5 star rating, I will assign 4 stars for Pippi Longstocking, even though I really do wish that Goodreads would at sometime in the future allow for half star ratings (although I have come to realise that this will probably always be a so-called and unfortunate pipe dream).
Profile Image for Nomes.
384 reviews377 followers
Read
February 16, 2012
Here's my daughter reading Pippi

First, the story. Pippi was written in the 1940's and it's still utterly captivating to this generation. Pippi is such an endearing character, irreverent, infectiously ridiculous and charmingly caring. Bonus to all kids everywhere: she makes adults look silly and kids look brilliant. She champion's the kids world: all imagination and no rules. Anything is possible and everything is an adventure. She's like the imaginary friend we'd like to be, except, in the end, she makes us grateful we have our mums and dads and homes (oh, she gets a little emotional, despite her fearless bravado).

This is one of those kids books I am not inwardly groaning when it's time to read to my daughter (although I did love it more when I was still a girl, myself). My 7 year old is the perfect age for this, able to read it herself, but liking me reading it to her more (of course ;))

Oh, and this 2011 edition is completely gorgeous, guys. Random picture evidence:

I loved this as a kid. I adored the movie (I can still sing along to all the songs, haha). Pippilotta Delicatessa Windowshade Mackrelmint Ephraim's Daughter Longstocking of Villa Villekulla is a timeless character and I hope she continues to be loved by children of upcoming generations

Peace out,

Nomes

(me and Carissa x)
Profile Image for Ms. Smartarse.
577 reviews237 followers
March 19, 2020
Published in English as Pippi Longstocking

Where do I even start? Should I open with a standard guilty disclaimer for disliking yet another childhood staple? How about a shameful admission that reading between the lines has never worked for me? Or perhaps a simple statement about being too old to enjoy children's books?

Disappointed frown

First and foremost, we have the super-duper-awesome Pippi, who, despite being an orphaned 9-year old, is filthy rich, strong, independent, and does whatever the hell she pleases, albeit firmly within the boundaries of kindness. At the same time, our enterprising heroine's antics are almost always compared to her friends' complete rule-abiding behavior, making the latter seem a prerequisite of sorts.

The end result is a story made up of an odd mix of "eff the rules" vs "rules exist for a reason". Should children follow Pippi's lead in being more independent, thinking for themselves and always questioning authority before conforming? Or should they go the tried and true route, like Tommy and Annika did, and thus managing to seamlessly integrate into the adult society.

I'm lost

I kept being baffled by Pippi's immediate hostility in non-threatening situations (being quizzed on her Math knowledge at school), or her default kindness in clearly threatening situations (serving cookies to burglars who just tried to rob her).

Most of the time however, it seemed impossible not to pity the poor girl: constantly being told that she lacked manners, yet never explaining the how and whys of them. Even the school teacher, otherwise the nicest adult Pippi comes in contact with, ends up suggesting that Pippi come back later, in lieu of learning to behave.

wut?!

Did she think Pippi was an unripe fruit, that'd "magically" gain manners after being left out in the sun for a bit?!

Score: 2/5 stars

I swear I tried to read up on reviews both favorable and unfavorable. Except for Manny's explanation regarding children's rights, or rather, lack thereof, none of them helped shed a light on the book's message.

For all that I'm not normally expecting to have a moral at the end of a story, Pippi's felt like it was trying to hit you over the head with one. If only I could figure out what exactly the anvil-sized lesson was meant to be all about...
Profile Image for Dream.M.
422 reviews91 followers
August 12, 2021
اون "مگی مارچ" دوس داشت، ولی من "پی پی جوراب بلند" بودم.
Profile Image for فؤاد.
1,032 reviews1,676 followers
June 25, 2017
تجربه ی بسیار لذت بخشی بود، خوندن داستان کودکان زیر ده سال، در بالای بیست سالگی! کلی با شوخی هاش خوش گذشت.

پی پی، دقیقاً بر عکس آلیسه! آلیس یه دختر کاملاً معقول (و حتا کمی تندخو و خشک) که وسط یه شهر پر از خل و چل و دیوونه گم میشه و سعی میکنه با بدخلقی اشتباهات دیگران رو بهشون یادآوری کنه، ولی هیچ فایده ای نداره.
اما پی پی، خودش عجیب و غریب و کمی دیوونه است، و وسط کلی آدم بزرگ معقول و خشک گیر کرده و مدام با کارها و حرف های نامعقولش، اون ها رو از کوره به در میکنه.
من فکر کنم لذت خوندن این دومی برای بچه ها بیشتر باشه، هر چند تخیل داستان آلیس خیلی خلاق تر و رنگارنگ تره.
Profile Image for Riku Sayuj.
653 reviews6,930 followers
January 22, 2013

The Girl With The Dragon Boots

Having read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, where Lisbeth is identified as a real world Pippi, I have been planning to read the supposed inspiration for a long time. For the first few chapters, it is hard to imagine how Larsson could have based the character of Lisbeth on Pippi. Eventually I learned to warp Pippi's world and squeeze it into the supposedly real world filled with rapists and thieves, where little girls have no super strength to get by on. I could then start to see how Larsson could have imagined, reading Pippi as an adult, that each of pippi's little 'adventures' could have been a tragedy. Out of a thousand, one might survive. He decided to write about that one, a modern-day Pippi. For, you probably still need Pippi's attitude to survive in a modern-day Sweden even if you don't have her super powers - Lisbeth might have been an orphan and a rebel just like Pippi, she might only have her hacking skills as a proxy for Pippi's super-strength, but at the end of the day both could kick some ass.

The review you have just read above is meant to illustrate how my reading of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo influenced my reading of Pippi Longstocking. Is it fair to even think of Lisbeth and of Larsson's interpretation of the tale while reading it? Probably not. I wish I could read it far away from Lisbeth's shadow. Do I blame Larsson now for spoiling some good fun? Probably yes. I just wish I had read Astrid first - of course I might never have heard of Pippi if not for Larsson. This is an issue I have faced with many books where the source is as enjoyable as the book that referred me to it, but less enjoyable for having read the referring work. How to get around this? Shall I drop everything and run to a bookstore the moment the slightest footnote pops up? They better stock up before I read Ulysses then.
Profile Image for sweet pea.
466 reviews1 follower
February 5, 2008
i was thrilled by the thought of a new version of Pippi illustrated by Lauren Child. i grew up on Pippi. besides my wild hairstyles, she also taught me how to be spunky and lie extravagantly.

perhaps i'm hard-lined. but, certain aspects of this new translation leave me cold. Ephraim Longstocking being a "king of the natives" is too much to bear. too generic to process. he is obviously a king of the CANNIBALS, as anyone with an ounce of sense can recall. also, Pippi's full name changed from "Pippilotta Delicatessa Windowshade Mackrelmint Ephraim's Daughter Longstocking" to "Pippilotta Comestibles Windowshade Curlymint Ephraimsdaughter Longstocking". perhaps i'm bitter as i was one of ten people in the U.S. that could rattle off Pippi's full name without thought. i frankly don't care if the new translation is "more correct". you don't change someone's name or their father's profession. end of story. furthermore, several of Pippi's lies seem vaguely racist in this new translation, which was not apparent in the old.

that spouted, i do appreciate Child's illustrations. and, although her socks are striped, they are the proper shades of black and brown (not striped red and white). i do hope this book brings a new generation to one of my favorite heroes. one of my favorite heroes, whose father is a cannibal king, goddamnit.
Profile Image for Fatma Al Zahraa Yehia.
399 reviews413 followers
January 30, 2023
شتاء عام ٢٠٠١ ونهاية دراستي الجامعية، أجلس في "الميني باص" القديم محاولة بلا جدوى كتم ضحكاتي العالية وأنا أقرأ تلك الكتاب. بعدها، أصبحت تلك القصة من الوصفات المؤكدة لرفع حالتي المعنوية التي كثيراً ما تهوى إلى الأرض.

أُعيد قراءته الأن ولكن مع أبناء أختي. يرونها قصة مضحكة وطريفة عن فتاة شجاعة تحيا-ويا لحظها السعيد-وحدها بعيدا عن أوامر ونواهي عالم الكبار.

أتمنى لملك "ابنة أختي"-ثمان سنوات-عندما تكبر وتقرأ تلك القصة بنفسها، أن ترى في جنان أو "بيبي" صورة لفتاة استطاعت أن تقف وحدها على قدميها في عالم كان لا يسيطر عليه سوى الرجال وقت كتابة تلك القصة عام 1945. أتمنى ليوسف "ابن أختي"-ست سنوات-أن يتعلم منها أن يقف في مواجهة الظالم ويمد يد العون لمن يحتاج.

ربما قد يقف الكثير من التربويين معترضين على بعض الجوانب الأخرى في شخصية جنان، مثل رفضها التام للتعليم أو حكاياتها المختلقة. ولكن تظل شخصية جنان ذات الجورب الطويل هى شخصية من أجرأ وأقوى شخصيات أدب الأطفال.
Profile Image for Behin.
72 reviews19 followers
January 6, 2022
احساس میکنم یکم پیرم برا این کتاب ولی خب خوشم اومد:)
به قول بهار چرا خودمونو از داستانای کودکانه محروم کنیم؟😮
پی پی جوراب بلند به نظرم خیلی فضای دارکی داشت ولی خب باحال بود!😍
Profile Image for April Knapp.
93 reviews17 followers
April 4, 2011
Review originally posted HERE

"Pipi Longstalking" is an easy read and I can see why kids enjoy it. Pipi is funny and different and draws little children out of their normal, every-day lives with her wacky adventures.

BUT, it has no plot and, therefore, is not very attractive to adult readers. It's really a series of short stories that have very little plot or meaning to them in themselves. About 75 percent through, I started just skimming the stories because they were plotless and all very similar. This, to me, is the mark of a poorly written children's novel. In my opinion, well-written children's novels appeal to readers of ALL ages, but are appropriate for children.

Pipi is supposed to be charming, and is somewhat, but she's also an annoying kid who won't behave and never faces the consequences for it. No wonder kids like her. She seems to mean well, but doesn't know any better. However, adults are portrayed as passive, impotent, fun-suckers, who don't need to be listened to.

The other two main characters, Tommy and Annika, are very flat and full of stereotypes of little boys and girls. Annika is always fearful and doesn't want to get her dress dirty while Tommy is ready for adventure. It's annoying.
Profile Image for Mariah Roze.
1,015 reviews919 followers
October 17, 2018
This was a cute story! It made me think of Roald Dahl's writing style and creativity. This is definitely a book I'll suggest to my students.
Profile Image for Sana.
100 reviews55 followers
November 30, 2021
خوندن کتاب پی پی چقدر حس خوبی بم داد.
Profile Image for Iryna *Book and Sword*.
430 reviews680 followers
March 30, 2018
Astrid Lindgren is not popular enough in the United States. And that makes me sad.

Her books, especially Pippi Longstocking and Carlson On The Roof are well known and loved over in Europe. It's a favorite children's classic. And it is so well deserved.

When I was little, Pippi was everything I ever wanted to be : wild, free and completely unapologetic. I would get sick a lot when I was a kid (colds, pneumonia and that kind of stuff). Reading about Pippi and her adventures always made me feel better. I guess you can say that this book is very nostalgic for me.
And if Pippi is a little too much for you, there are some milder characters to choose from.

Astrid Lindgren's books are as funny as they are sad (and heartbreaking at times). Full of life truths and lessons - they build an excellent foundation for young reader's minds.
February 15, 2010
The following may be heresy, but, as Michael Dibdin says of his novel The Last Sherlock Holmes Story, it's the heresy of the true believer. Anyway, now that everyone's read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, we can no longer avoid the question. What does Pippi think about sex? Lisbeth Salander is repeatedly identified with Pippi, and she's quite straightforward about sex. When she wants it, she goes for it; no shame, no hangups. It's hard to believe that Pippi isn't exactly the same.

Of course, Pippi's nine years old, which does give one pause for thought. But, on the other hand, she's been nine for rather a long time (the krumelur-pills), so it's a bit technical when you come down to it. Also, she's super-strong, and her will is as powerful as her muscles. No chance of anyone making her do anything she didn't want to do. I'm more concerned about the so-called adults who may have got involved with her. I have a feeling that she makes them feel as stupid and inadequate in bed as out of it.

I know, I know. You want me to name names, don't you? OK, I'll tell you who I thought of first: Tant Pruselius, a.k.a. Prussiluskan. In the films, you can see that, under that dowdy exterior, she's an attractive woman. And there's something decidedly odd about her relationship with Pippi. She keeps going around to Villa Villekulla on the most absurd pretexts. She wants to see Pippi for some reason, and then she starts saying that it would be better if she were in a children's home. Well, indeed, that would put her out of temptation's reach. And she submits to all Pippi's imaginative humiliations with no more than a token shriek or two of protest. Why? Pippi seems to have a strange hold on her. The kind of hold that someone might have on a secret lover who absolutely daren't reveal herself, for fear of all sorts of appalling consequences.

What do they get up to late at night, when Tommy and Annika have gone home and no one is around to watch except Mr. Nilsson and the horse? I'm afraid I have no more idea than you. But I do sometimes wonder if Astrid Lindgren left a sealed packet of papers for her literary executor, with strict instructions not to open it until 50 years after her death...

_________________________________________

Apropos the Långstrump/Salander connection: last night, we watched the second Millennium film, Flickan som lekte med elden, and noticed that the letterbox on Lisbeth's door says "V. Kulla". Of course, this doesn't necessarily mean that Astrid Lindgren would have approved.

_________________________________________

My older son Jonathan, who's an autistic-spectrum movie buff, had an interesting question about Pippi the other day. Did I think that Tant Pruselius was the goddess Venus? He was specifically referring to the fact that the actress who plays her looks a bit like Glenn Close in Meeting Venus; he's also seen Venus in The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, one of his favourite films, where she's played by the young Uma Thurman.

I've never discussed my theories about Pippi's private life with Jonathan. Odd that he came up with this independently.
March 13, 2015

L, is for Lindgren

2.5 Stars

Pippi Longstocking is absolutely a case of I-read-this-too-late-in-life.

This is NOT the kind of story my mom read to me as a child. I was too headstrong already, I didn’t need her reading about a ginger-haired nine year old who lifted up horses and refused to go to school. Wise move, mom, wise move.

I am at somewhat of a loss as to how to review this, to be honest. There is a cuteness to it, a toughness too BUT I can’t turn off pretend-mom brain. I can’t help but think this is just such a poor story to read a child. For one, Pippi is an orphan who has convinced herself she is the daughter of a cannibal king (what?!) . For another thing she plays a game of chase with cops (Kids, don’t try THIS at home). I just don’t know. It could have been that I was sick when I read this but it just fell flat all over for me.

I got nothing, guys. This was both too cutesy and too unbelievable for me. I am a cranky old lady now...

Profile Image for Bahar.
82 reviews30 followers
December 25, 2021
خب راستش فک میکنم خوندن این کتاب یه کم برای من دیر شده باشه، ولی کی گفته که یه بزرگسال باید خودشو از لذت خوندن یه کتاب بچه گانه ی بامزه محروم کنه! :))))
Profile Image for Caroline.
497 reviews555 followers
Read
May 20, 2015
The past is indeed another country.

When I was a child I read voraciously. I have a memory that having rapaciously foraged my way through the children’s section, I was given an adult library ticket before my time. But I am sure that didn’t really happen, not even in the rough and ready borough of London where the transition took place. My wanting just made it seem real.

In spite of my impatience for the adult section, I adored my time with the children’s library, and at the pinnacle of all children’s books that I loved was the Pippi Longstocking series. I idolized Pippi, with her anarchic and eccentric lifestyle, and her enormous physical strength. I loved escapism, and Pippi was the ultimate companion for fantastical fantasy adventures.

So, when I picked up Pippi Longstocking a few days ago I was expecting bliss, along with a warm woolly coating of nostalgia. But this was not to be. Instead I read it like a cantankerous old lady, on the side of all the authority figures in the book, and tut-tutting over things like her cutting out biscuit dough on the floor. Oh I’m sorry Pippa, I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry! The chasm between me then and me now is seemingly unbridgeable… I remember how much I loved you though. I remember that.

A GR friend has just read this book to her daughter, and it made me think about that too. In between my experience and hers lies the mysterious world of motherhood, and pleasures that lie beyond my ken.

Profile Image for Melanie (TBR and Beyond).
502 reviews359 followers
May 21, 2017
“I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.”

This one is so nostalgic for me. I grew up having my mom read the books to me and I used to watch the movies all the time as well.

Pippi Longstockingis a classic that everyone should enjoy at least once in their life. It's about a young girl who lives in a large house with a monkey and a horse, she also happens to be "the strongest girl in the world." Beside Pippi live two other children, a brother and a sister and together they get into all sorts of fun adventures.

This book is so charming, and completely hilarious. The jokes in this book still hold up after all these years. I guess that is why it's considered a classic. I love Pippi's sense of adventure and her innocence. She doesn't really think badly of anyone and can't imagine why others are so hard on her sometimes. She has her own set of rules and doesn't care to fit in with everyone else. We really all could take a few pointers from her. She's a loyal friend and very generous with everyone she meets.

I am a bit bias when it comes to this book since it's just so close to my heart. I don't see any big complaints to mention and this is a great one if you want something fun and light, no matter what the age. I highly recommend it.
Profile Image for Celia.
1,140 reviews140 followers
December 3, 2019
This book was written by Astrid Lindgren, a Swede, in 1950. Two books followed it, describing Pippi further.

Pippi is MOST unusual. She lives with a monkey and a horse and alone; no parents. She is the kind of child that would drive adults to distraction and that is what she did to me for 9 chapters. In Chapter 10, we see her strength and resourcefulness and all of a sudden, I liked Pippi better.

I like to read classics as they frequently have life lessons to teach. Not this time, but I still enjoyed the uniqueness of Pippi's character and her escapades.

4 stars
Profile Image for Sarah Grace Grzy.
629 reviews824 followers
July 20, 2017
Very sweet, whimsical children's book! I enjoyed reading it to my younger brothers. They usually won't sit still long enough for me to read anything to them, but they actually were asking ME to read it to them! So it was a win-win in that area! If you're looking for a good "role model" children's book, this isn't really it, but it was fun, and there certainly wasn't anything bad in it.
Author 4 books569 followers
May 28, 2014
This is a review of a new translation of a children's classic. My comments and the number of stars this edition gets has nothing to do with my adoration of Pippi Longstocking, which my review of the previous edition should make pretty clear.

I'm always wildly excited to hear of new translations of books I love, so it saddens me to have to say I'm disappointed in this one.

It was published in honor of the 100th anniversary of the birth of Astrid Lindgren, the author of the Pippi books. (Lindgren lived to be 94 years old, which makes me very happy.) There's a little information about Lindgren on the last page of this edition, but I wish the editors had taken the opportunity to tell more – to mention, for instance, that Lindgren came up with the stories when her young daughter was sick in bed and said, apropos of nothing, "Tell me a story about Pippi Longstocking." Just like that, one of the most famous names in the world was born. Lindgren obliged, and later wrote some of the Pippi stories down (thank goodness).

None of this is mentioned in this new edition – which seems, as I said, a lost chance, since it's as good a story as any of Pippi's adventures.

I can't fairly judge Lauren Child's illustrations for this edition. I love her work, and the pictures are perfectly cute; but I grew up with the old black-and-white illustrated editions of the Pippi books, and I can't help finding those pictures edgier and more interesting.

I think I can fairly comment on the new translation, even though I'm deeply attached to the old one. The fact is, this is a job that just didn't need doing. It's not as if the text of the old edition was unclear. In fact, the previous translation gives its young readers more credit for intelligence than this one does.

As a child, I loved reading about Pippi making "pepparkakor -- a kind of Swedish cookie," as that translation put it. Tiina Nunnally simply says that Pippi was "baking gingersnaps."

This isn’t exactly earth-shattering, but I do find it significant. I remember first reading this little episode of Pippi’s story because it was my first clue that this story didn’t just take place in a different country, but that the book itself was in fact Swedish in every sense.

Later, this idea would be confirmed in the chapter “Pippi Entertains Two Burglars.” The burglars in question are drawn to Pippi’s house when they see the light on. Their initial errand is simply to ask for some food, but when they see Pippi counting up a great number of gold coins, they decide to make an excuse for knocking on her door, quickly case the joint, and come back later to steal the loot.

“We just came in to ask what your clock is,” they say.

Now, this isn’t how American English-speakers ask for the time. Even as a very young reader, though, I was able to work out what this phrasing meant, and to be amused by it.

The reason the translator kept this phrasing in the translation I grew up with is that it’s important to some funny wordplay that follows:

”Great, strong men who don’t know what a clock is!” said Pippi. “Where in the world were you brought up? The clock is a little round thingamajig that says ‘tick tack, tick tack,’ and that goes and goes but never gets to the door. Do you know any more riddles? Out with them if you do,” said Pippi encouragingly.

This paragraph also gave me my first introduction to the idea that different cultures describe certain noises differently. I think this is important as well as entertaining.

It’s also important that American children in particular are introduced to the concept that their country isn’t the only one, or even the most important one, in the world. (Plenty of American grownups are weak on this concept, and this national chauvinism is not, in my opinion, making the world a better place.)

The passage continues, and I promise I’m quoting it at length for a good reason:

The tramps thought Pippi was too little to tell time, so without another word they went out again.

“I don’t demand that you say ‘tack’” [thanks in Swedish], shouted Pippi after them, “but you could at least make an effort and say ‘tick.’ You haven’t even as much sense as a clock has. But by all means go in peace.” And Pippi went back to her counting.

Those brackets are in the original. I loved that as a kid. It was my first introduction to what kind of work it takes to translate a book from one language to another – a subject that has fascinated me ever since.

Here’s how the new translation handles that same passage:

“Well, we just came in to see what your clock says.”

“Big, strong fellows like you, and you don’t even know what a clock says?” said Pippi. “Who brought you up, anyway? Haven’t you ever heard a clock before? A clock is a little round thingamajig that says ‘tick tock’ and keeps going and going but never gets to the door. If you know any other riddles, let’s hear them,” said Pippi to encourage them.

The tramps thought that Pippi was too young to know about clocks, so without another word they turned on their heels and left.

“I’m not asking you to play tic-tac-toe!” Pippi yelled after them. “But you could at least play along with my tick-tock riddle. I don’t know what makes you tick! But never mind, go in peace,” said Pippi, and she went back to counting her money.

Now, look. If you’re going to even try to bring wordplay over from one language to another, you’re going to have to do better than that. Mentioning tic-tac-toe here is completely random – and there is always a method to Pippi’s madness. And if Nunnally was going to go with the American idea that clocks says “tick, tock,” why didn’t she have Pippi say something about how she can’t figure out the burglars tick if they won’t tock to her? (I can’t take credit for this one. My husband pointed out to me the rhyming possibilities of “tock” and “talk” in this passage. But seriously, it’s right there.)

The whole book seems dedicated to rooting out any references to the fact that this book was written in Swedish. The music box Tommy and Annika give Pippi plays “Ack, du käre Augustin” in the original translation. In this one, it plays “The More We Get Together.” In the original translation, Pippi makes the burglars dance the schottische with her; in this one, it’s simply a polka.

Note to the world: kids who are old enough to read Pippi are old enough to handle some unfamiliar references. Heck, they’re more prepared for them in some ways than kids were when I was a kid and had to find an encyclopedia if I wanted to look something up.

So, yeah, I found this translation of a favorite book condescending. If you’re thinking of giving Pippi as a gift, you can probably buy copies of all three of the Pippi books for what you’d pay for a single copy of this hardcover new translation. The paperbacks might not look as “gifty,” but they’re better. So say I. And tack for hearing me out.
Profile Image for Carolyn.
2,092 reviews588 followers
December 27, 2021
I can see why Pippi Longstocking remains a favourite with children. She's clever and funny, incredibly strong and very outspoken. She's an orphan who lives alone with a monkey and a horse and has outrageous adventures, often with the two well behaved children who live next door and adore their quirky friend. Even as an adult I raced through this book, wondering what Pippi was going to do next!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 4,658 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.