Start by marking “Do Your Laundry or You'll Die Alone” as Want to Read:
Do Your Laundry or You'll Die Alone

Do Your Laundry or You'll Die Alone

When her firstborn daughter graduated high school, Becky Blades knew her daughter was not ready for the world. She knew even the best college would not be covering the most important material: How to be kind, happy, and appropriate in public...how to protect oneself from sock monsters, boring conversations, and scary dates...why to keep the clothes clean.

So the day before

Published April 1st 2014 by Startistry Publishing

Start your review of Do Your Laundry or You'll Die Alone
Carrie (Book Fairy) Fort
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Favorite Advice But what you cannot find on the internet is your mother’s voice

There’s nothing WORSE than a smart GIRL who acts dumb. It’s worse than a dumb girl.

MAKE something EVERY DAY.
Make a meal or a joke or a scarf or a poem. Make a notecard or a paper doll or a dress for yourself. Make a face or a friend or a Facebook friend. Creating is your birthright, and celebrating your creativity reminds you of your unique place in the world.

FAKE It ’tIL YOU MAKE It.

GIVE MONEY OR help to whomever you
Cindy Gilleland
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was given to me in exchange for an honest review.

This is a book that ALL moms need to have and give to the daughter(s). This tells the daughter what she needs to know to get through like. Given advice that every women wishes she had from her mom. This is a book that if I had a daughter or daughters I would buy it and give it to them.

FIVE MOM ANGELS
Kate
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The perfect gift for any young adult! I laughed, I cried, I smiled and I remembered...
Courtney (Life as a Convert)
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I recently read Do Your Laundry or You’ll Die Alone by Becky Blades. First of all, I love how this book started out by reminding us that we have so much information and advice at our fingertips these days. We are blessed with a plethora of information that our mothers couldn’t get when they were our age. Because of that, if we have a question, we can simply Google it and get an answer, thus avoiding some embarrassingly awkward conversations with our mothers.

The book goes on to say that despite a
Shelby
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There's very little worse than coming upon a situation in adulthood that no one prepared you for; one exception to that might be your child coming upon a situation nobody prepared her for. This book is great for girls who are graduating from high school or even college, and it's reassuring for their moms. Sure, as a parent you might have mentioned that it's a bad idea to mix colors in the washing machine or the temperature you have to raise something to in order to sterilize it, but there are lo ...more
Kat Hoopingarner
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I am a mom of a 4 year old and a 6 month old. I have been feeling twangs of time passing too quickly and them growing up so fast. "Do your Landry..." was a great refresher course for me in the important little wisdom that just makes life easier. There were some great tid bits that I will be trying to instill in my girls in the coming years.

I liked this book because I liked the pace. Some simple ideas were expanded upon nicely, while complex ideas were simply stated and left alone. My favorite b
Jacquelyn Smith
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Jacquelyn by: Goodread LoP
Shelves: own, family
This is a book that I would recommend to woman and young ladies everywhere. Great advice and a great read with a touch of spice.The ones I liked most were know you're friends and charity starts at home. I can go on and on about this book and talk about all the great advice she gives. I can only wish that as a mother, that I had this book to give to my daughter. I am just glad that Mrs. Blade wrote this book as a guide to her daughters and others. I am going to give her five dreams just for origi ...more
Therinia
Mar 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book would make a fabulous gift for a new graduate or anyone setting out on their own for the first time. I wish I'd had a copy when I went off to college, as it is full of great advice. The artwork is bright and attractive.

Some of my favorites (and there are 270 great little gems):

#85 Little habits can cost you big. The $4 a day you spend on fancy coffee adds up to $1460 a year.

#2 If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. You're smart enough to think of something nice to
Caro
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: actual-factual
This was an ok book, but it wasn't exactly what I thought it was. That's what I get for thinking and not just reading. ;) Anyhow, there were some really good tips that really are like common sense, a few humorous hints, and upbeat in feeling. However, I think some of these things really were tailored for the authors daughters and not all of them would be for everyone. Most were pretty good and practical. An ok read that's pretty much a one-sitter. I wouldn't read this again but I wouldn't call i ...more
Katie Anderson
Feb 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"Do Your Laundry or You'll Die Alone" gives every young woman that pep talk from mom she needs on her journey to conquer the world. With the perfect balance of sass and endearment, Blades provides smart, real advice that reminds girls everywhere mother will always know best. Humorous, straightforward, and creative words to inspire independent women at any age.
Elaine
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's not enough to tell your children how to live their lives, but to set a good example. Blades writes as though she learned these lessons herself, and that's what makes this book so worthwhile! It's about real life, from fluff to serious. I raised sons, but I've already given the book to my two daughters-in-law.
Tabitha Turner
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-read
A must read for moms and daughters

Absolutely loved it! The book title caught my attention and I knew better than to pass it by. This read is full of witty heartfelt advice that every girl needs to keep in mind (#224 is the one to live by). I was lucky enough to get it free from the kindle store but will probably purchase a hard copy to share.
Anne Russ
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Undeniably good advice for your kids and yourself! Becky's humorous take on parenting is your new "how to" guide for parenting!
Ronda
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, my-favorites, 2014
What this book contains is gems. Real life, usable gems that apply to life. I read this on my kindle but will be buying a physical copy ASAP.
B.
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book was kinda meh. Definitely not what the synopsis makes it out to be. The book should have stayed a letter to her daughters, as it's obviously not for everyone. Since she went and decided to publish it as a book, she could have made it more general - everything's from and to the feminine perspective, and it gets quite repetitive. Still further, it would have been great if the religious references had been left out. It's not going to be one I will read again, and I'm very glad I bought it ...more
Lauren
I have been meaning to read this book since my mom gave it to me as a high school graduation present in May 2016. I finally got around to it, and I have to admit I was disappointed. The book provided good advice, but it seemed like a shiny, happy, Disney-esque vision of the world. It lacked the dark, gritty, difficult advice that I needed back when I first moved out of the house. The persona of the narrator is sheltered to the point of coming across as naïve at times. This book should not replac ...more
Anne S
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who is graduating from high school and moving away from home
Shelves: 2020-read
This is one of two books that I looked at to send to my daughters who have finally moved away from home. This was definitely better than the other one!

There are a lot of little tips that a person who moves away from home for the first time doesn't know but probably should. This book gives those tips in an easy to read fashion.

My favorite tips:
Do your laundry before you are out of underwear (or something like that)
Make something every day

I would recommend it to all high school seniors or anyone
Julie Johnston Nelson
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much...full of advice & motherly wisdom. Picked it up on a whim at the library & I read it a bit of it out loud to my 2 teenage daughters. As a lover of the written/handwritten word, I especially loved #187--write in longhand every day & also the items regarding balancing technology with the real world. I'm planning on giving each of my daughters a copy of this book when they turn 16 to give them a "coming of age" head start. ...more
Melissa
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My parents got me this book in honor of my high school graduation and I can honestly say that this is the perfect gift and most appreciated one they’ve ever given me. I can feel all the love Blades has not only for her children but for anyone reading this. It’s really a beautiful and simple book that I will definitely be using as I figure out my way into the adult world and will probably be using when I turn 50. I love it!!
cati
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! THis book literally has gotten me thru the summer leading up to sending my sweet girl off to college. Thank you Ann Horton for giving it to Haley, so that I could read it. She will read it over winter break!
Jessie Evans
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was super cute! My mom gave it to me as part of my graduation present and I found it to be really sweet! There was definitely some good advice in it and it was a good way to kick off my summer reading for college advice!!
Ckline
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! So full of things I wish I had said to my children. It would be a great gift for a graduate from high school or even college. It is geared towards women but there were things for both genders to know.
Abracadebra
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this very much. It's cute, colorful and wise.
Kristie Lock
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
"There is nothing worse than a smart girl who acts dumb."

"Never put anything on the internet that you would not want to discuss:
-in a job interview
-on a first date
-with your mother"
Aimee
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
A perfect book to give to a young woman for either high school or college graduation. The book doesn’t take itself too seriously, but there are also some gems of knowledge in this very quick read.
Ruth Bogan
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Own a copy. Gave a copy as a gift. What a great book!
Elizabeth Chesak
May 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Maybe 2 stars? Need to give it more thought.
Martha
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it
This small book packs a big wallop. The advice is right on the nose. The author created the illustrations, they were pretty and unusual. ....i intend to buy this book
Roz Warren
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Keep At Least One Stuffed Animal and Admit It When You’re Wrong

When Becky Blades sent her firstborn daughter off to Harvard, she also sent her an email that contained all the motherly advice she’d compiled over the years. “With a simple Google search you can find answers to most of the practical questions that your mom’s generation had to phone home for,” she explained. “But what you cannot find on the internet is your mother‘s voice -- the voice that loves you, the voice that wants the best for
Eustacia Tan
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Lately, if I answer a phone call/video call from my mom with a sore throat or a blocked nose, she automatically thinks I'm crying. This is due to my sister, who during her 6 month stay in China, would call at 2am and cry. So while my mother never wrote a bunch of witty advice and published it, I know she cares and worries.

So I suppose, this book could be how she expressed her care and worry, if she knew about it and bought me the book. The motherly love in this book is really evident anyway.

This
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Conference of the Birds (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #5)
  • The Grammarians
  • Coat of Many Colors
  • The Paris Orphan
  • Aging Gracefully: Portraits of People Over 100 (Gifts for Grandparents, Inspiring Gifts for Older People)
  • I Love My Hair!
  • Frédéric
  • Life Doesn't Frighten Me
  • More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Scary Stories, #2)
  • Tangerine
  • Almost Adulting: All You Need to Know to Get It Together (Sort Of)
  • Footsteps in the Snow
  • The Word Collector
  • What Do You Do with an Idea?
  • Lailah's Lunchbox: A Ramadan Story
  • No Small Potatoes: Junius G. Groves and His Kingdom in Kansas
  • Angus All Aglow
Becky Blades is a writer, artist, business strategist and philosopher of creative, adventurous living. Since selling her award-winning public relations firm, Becky has served on corporate boards, as a civic advocate for the arts and entrepreneurship, and as a consultant and mentor to businesses.
Becky’s blog, www.stARTistry.com, celebrates the art of beginning. She has started 2,865 projects and fi