Start by marking “The Drowning” as Want to Read:
The Drowning

The Drowning

(The Drowning #1)

What happens if you've done something terrible? But you can't remember what. And you don't know how to put it right ... When Carl opens his eyes on the banks of a lake, his brother is being zipped into a body bag. What happened in the water? He can't remember. And when he glimpses a beautiful girl he thinks he recognises, she runs away.Suddenly he knows he must find her - ...more
Published May 2nd 2013 by Chicken House

To ask other readers questions about The Drowning, please sign up.
Jessica You don't read the books here, this is just a way to catalog them and find new ones. You'll need to purchase the books at a bookstore or online.

Titus214
Mar 30, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sadly this was not good. I was excited to get an arc of this book after reading the premise and falling in love with that beautiful cover. However once I started reading I began to worry if I would finish the story at all.

1. The flashbacks and time jumps threw me off. They were confusing because our main character Cee, doesn't know if they are true or not and they also reveal him to be an awful person.
2. I didn't get the relationships in the story the characters were not well written to the poin
Shrilaxmi
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, library
This book was brilliant. The story was great and it was spooky. I think it's one of the best books I've read this year.
Kamilla
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Sometimes the dead don't go quietly."

"I heard someone. But there's noone there. It sounded like... But it couldn't be. I heard him last night, though, when I was drifting off. But that's different, isn't it? When you're nearly asleep, the edges blur, you're halfway into your dreams, aren't you? But I'm awake now. Someone's messing about, playing tricks on me. "

This book will leave you looking over your shoulder every time you go to have a shower. It's that creepy.

The main character, Carl is a
Allegra
The Drowning. Certainly an interesting book and I found it difficult to put down, but it wasn't exactly enjoyable to read. I was curious about how it would end and the fates of the characters, but as much as the book seems to be about finding closure, it didn't really have much itself, which is slightly frustrating to me.
A few quick things that I noticed about The Drowning. First thing is that it felt very fast paced, Chris, or Cee, who tells the story hardly ever slows down. Second, there is
Jesse Owen
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really thoroughly enjoyed this book - part spooky and part mystery it hooked me from page 1 and didn't let go until the end. I made a full video review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=121yD...
Kate Ormand
A contemporary thriller with a paranormal twist. It was interesting to see the water almost become a character in itself - an unstoppable, destructive force. The novel is dark and dramatic, and has a good pace. The creepy paranormal element will appeal to fans of FRACTURE by Megan Miranda.
Mimita Biswas
If you're into paranormal or horror, go for this book. It has it's flaws, but it is an interesting book to read. The description is so nice that I could picture the face of that creepy ghost in front of me.
Although I think the ending wasn't up to the mark and it wasn't what I actually expected because it doesn't explain what actually happened. It was too fast.
All-over, this is a nice book, 4.5 stars is the highest on my rating scale and I give this one 3.5. That 1 star has been deducted for an
Nikki Brandt
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this book. Her writing style is what intrigued me and made me grab this book off the shelf in the first place.
I felt like there were some phrases and quotes she would use over and over again. But for the most part a fantastic read. It kept me on the edge of my seat! I love books that aren’t predictable. The excitement and anticipation for what’s next never ceases in this book for me:)
Can’t wait to read the second book:)
Leah
May 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ghosts, thriller
I really enjoyed it! Fast-paced and entertaining!
Emily Best
very slow. nothing really happened. bit of an open ending. cant say if i loved it or hated it. however, have heard better things about the second so may try it if i find it in the library!
Tiffa (The Readers Lair)
The Drowning has to be one of the strangest books I’ve read this year, and that’s saying something! I definitely don’t mean this in bad way though; The Drowning was a compelling and wonderfully written novel that I couldn’t put down. I didn’t expect anything less from Rachel Ward, who has the ability to write stories that I’m sure everyone will love. This book is very different from Rachel’s other novel; Numbers, but also very similar at the same time with a fast-paced and action packed plot lin ...more
shreya
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I have recently finished reading The drowning by Rachel Ward and to be very honest, i am in love with this book. so basically this book deals with a boy, Carl who one day opens his eyes to see his dead brother being zipped in a body bag and his memory about the incident is totally washed up.

The synopsis of the book was quite promising and i wasnt let down. It was a complete page turner and i wasnt bored at any point of time. Though i did find the middle of the story being dragged and probably th
Caitlin (booksandwindowseats)
This reviews was originally posted at http://booksandwindowseats.wordpress.com. You're welcome to stop by for more bookish stuff :)

Carl is fifteen. His brother has drowned in the lake and his death is said to have been a “terrible accident.” But Carl’s memory is missing. He doesn’t remember anything– why were they at the lake? How did he die? Why does he feel guilty? Who is the girl? As his memory slowly recovers, the truth becomes more and more terrifying, and his brother, Rob, is back.

This book
Sherry
Destiny
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series-firsts, 2013
Angela
Mar 30, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
I was given this book as an ARC from Scholastic via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Carl almost died in the lake. But he doesn't remember what happened. When he wakes up he sees his brother Rob being zipped up in a body bag and there is a girl. A girl who is terrified of him. But he doesn't know why. He can't remember anything before waking up. His mother is assured that he'll remember. But does Carl want to remember? Will the truth set him free or drown him like the water of the lake
Maia Moore
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Original review posted here

I was intrigued by this book as soon as I read the prologue. It was only a couple of pages but it draws you into the story so well you can't help but be hooked.

The protagonist, Carl is left with amnesia after an accident that's left his brother dead. His confused state is just another thing that pulls you into the story: information is leaked in dribs and drabs as it comes back to him. Small things like where he lives and who his neighbours are, and then much bigger th
Hannah Lozie
Revealing memories

I have read The Drowning, written by Rachel Ward. It’s about a fifteen-years-old boy Carl who opens his eyes on the banks of a lake with his dead brother, Rob, and his brother’s girlfriend, Neisha, next to him. He can’t remember what happened. Little by little he regains his memory and the story unfolds through Carl’s eyes. Like this he finds out what took place in the lake and who was involved. Things go from bad to worse when Rob returns as a ghost to take revenge. Meanwhile,
Lucy Powrie

The Drowning is very different from Ward's first trilogy, Numbers, in many ways, but it is also very similar. The thing I love the most about this author is that we know what to expect and my expectations were very high for The Drowning. Those expectations were, however, were low compared to how much I actually loved this book.

After an accident that killed his brother, Carl has been left with amnesia. This meant that the reader gets to know the world that Carl lives in at the same time he does.
LouLou
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

The Drowning is a thriller in which author Rachel Ward reels you in with a gripping prologue that captivates readers hook, line, and sinker. Never having read Ward's previous novels (Numbers trilogy), I was intrigued by the premise of the book--surviving a horrific event with no existing memory of anything (name, family, where you live, all past events vanished). How can you reclaim your life when you are haunted by a past you can't remember?

Although a com
Once
Apr 26, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
OUT's Review

Let me start by coming clean. From the start I had to fight off the urge to cheat and jump ahead to the last chapter!

Right from the start we are introduced to 15 year old Carl. He has woken after being pulled from a lake. He has no memory of how or why he is there but one thing he is sure of, that was his brother that was just zipped up and taken away in a body bag. And then there is the girl, the girl sitting across from him in the ambulance, crying. Who is she?

I cannot help but to
Eleanor Thomas
I read this book because I am taking part in the Amazing Book Awards at school. This is the first book I read out of the five because I have got it out before but never read it. It's quite a short book.

My favorite thing about this book is the cover. I think the design is striking and I love it. Especially as on the first page where it is normally blank there is a black and white copy of the photo However I don't think it fits the book very well. Its not where I imagined they are when they are d
Merril Anil
Tragically not engaging

I loved the whole nature and plot of the story and no doubt that this has the potential of getting made into a superb movie because it has all the essential thrills and spice needed for a movie but sadly when it comes to the book, it is a different story altogether because as much as it is good with the language and story, somewhere around something just keeps tugging you and shouting in your head that it could have been better.

The book starts in oblivion because that’s
Carly
Apr 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review
Well wow, The Drowning give me the chills! To be honest I'm terrified of drowning and I can't swim because of a fear of deep water, so thrill seeker that I am - I HAD to try this!!

Rachel Ward has crafted a truly compelling story here and I actually loved every mind-bending second! I couldn't look away and I raced to the end as I needed to know what was going to happen next!

I really like that this came from a male point of view and Carl really is a down-to-earth and very like-able guy. Watching h
Stacy Books
I know judging a book by its cover is “wrong,” but especially with YA, and when teens are involved, it’s going to happen. This book just looks… cheap? Second rate? I’m not sure what to call it, but the story certainly reflected the hokey-looking cover. Fifteen year-old Carl has just woken up in an ambulance to find that his seventeen-year-old brother, Rob, is dead; and a girl he does not recognize is next to him, screaming. As it turns out, Carl, Rob, and Rob’s girlfriend, Neisha (the girl from ...more
Dolores
When the book begins, there has been an accident at the lake involving 15-year-old Carl, his older brother Rob and Rob's girlfriend Neisha, that sends Carl and Neisha home in an ambulance-and Rob in a body bag. Carl initially has no memories at all, but they come back to him gradually. Carl also begins to see his dead brother everywhere, but only when he is wet. Gradually we learn that what happened was no accident, but an attempt by Rob to kill Neisha. An attempt that Carl stopped by killing Ro ...more
Marion Hale
Cee (Carl) comes to as a face as familiar as his own is being zipped into a body bag and he has no recollection of what has happened. But given the fact there is a body bag and a beautiful girl nearby who starts screaming when she sees him conscious - it can't be good. After being sent home from the hospital, bits and pieces of memory come back to him, usually when he gets wet.

Things go from bad to worse though when Carl starts hearing Rob, his supposedly dead brother, whispering in his ear. Lat
Barbara
Deliciously creepy in all the right ways, this book will certainly cause readers to regard water, even a gentle rain, differently. The story is told from the point of view of Carl, who has just survived a near-drowning while his brother died. The two boys come from a very dysfunctional family with a mother unable to cope with much of anything, and Rob has become increasingly violent and abusive, particularly to Carl. And yet, they have shared tender moments as well. Carl cannot remember what led ...more
Ch
But when I close my eyes I see the face in the bathroom sink, staring up at me. I hear the voice again:
I'm coming, Cee.

The Drowning had potential but I don't think it was pulled off neatly, or at all. The plot sounded promising but somehow Ward failed to deliver. The first chapters are interesting enough but it got worst as it went on. The lacks of information, reasoning in the story were also a downer. The middle part to the near-end felt dry, ironically, and the ending totally felt rushed leav
« previous 1 3 next »
♥ Young Adult and...: The Drowning 1 11 Mar 27, 2014 05:20AM

• Dead Jealous (Poppy Sinclair, #1)
  • Dead Romantic
  • Glimpse
  • Hidden Among Us (Hidden Among Us #1)
  • Fashion Assassin (Jessica Cole: Model Spy, #2)
  • Diary of a Mall Girl
  • The Baby
  • You Don't Know Me
  • Keep the Faith (Faith, #2)
  • Cross My Heart
  • Air (Blue #2)
  • Only Love Can Break Your Heart
  • Love Bomb (Ladybirds, #2)
  • Silent Saturday (Forbidden Spaces, #1)
  • Smuggler's Kiss
  • Second Best Friend
  • Cruel Summer

The Drowning (2 books)
  • Water Born (The Drowning, #2)