Start by marking “The Swords of Night and Day (The Drenai Saga, #11)” as Want to Read:
The Swords of Night and Day (The Drenai Saga, #11)

The Swords of Night and Day

(The Drenai Saga #11)

Even in death, Skilgannon the Damned's name lives on. Now, as an ancient evil threatens to flood the Drenai heartlands in a tide of blood, he returns...

A thousand years after they fell in battle, two heroes - Druss and Skilgannon - are revered throughout the war-torn lands of the Dernai, where men and women live in abject fear of the dark sorceress known as the Eternal...
Published April 1st 2005 by Corgi (first published April 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Swords of Night and Day, please sign up.
Will The published order is best. You'll find the writing quality all over the place if you read chronologically. I recently made this to help compare…moreThe published order is best. You'll find the writing quality all over the place if you read chronologically. I recently made this to help compare chronology vs published order: Drenai Saga reading order(less)

Ahmad Sharabiani
The Swords of Night and Day (The Drenai Saga #11), David Gemmell
The Swords of Night and Day is a fantasy novel by David Gemmell, as well as a pair of legendary swords within the book. They also appear in Gemmell's book White Wolf. The book is set 1000 years following the death of Olek Skilgannon. Both swords are mirror polished and extremely sharp, both having been enchanted by the Old Woman. The Sword of Day is golden in colour while the Sword of Night is silver. Intended as inferior copi
Reggie Kray
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Emotionally drained. Phefuckinomenal! I believe a nap is in order.
Michael Pang
Apr 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book, as with the series as a whole, is just good, solid, entertaining fantasy. It is not very often you can have an eleven book series and hit solidly on every book, Gemmell does it with this series and this book fits right in.
Mayim de Vries
Dec 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
”Not man or beast will prevent us. Because we are Drenai. The Last of the Drenai. And we will not fail.”

For me, the ultimate book in the Drenai Saga is a failed attempt to revive the Legend. I finished the series with a pang of regret and a wish to un-read both this novel and its predecessor.

I am a firm believer in a principle that what dies should stay dead not only because I hate zombies and other undead creatures, but mainly because it is bad for the plot. The main problem with the Swords of Night and/>For
Jen
May 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was not my first David Gemmell book - I already knew I loved this author for his vivid descriptions, intensely real characters and wonderfully action-packed and emotionally brilliant stories. However, when I read it I had not read the previous books about Druss the Legend or Skilgannon the Damned. At this point in time I have read ALL of them, and though I recommend them all, the Swords of Night and Day is still my favorite Gemmell book and probably one of my favorite books of all time. It ...more
Helen
Oct 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 rounding down.

This continues, and completes, Skulgannon's story line. I'm glad I read it but it felt overlong at times. I enjoyed seeing the stereotypes shattered.
Kostas
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
7.5/10

The Swords of Night and Day is the second book featuring Skillgannon the Damned and the last one in the Drenai saga. In this book Gemmell takes us a thousand years after White Wolf , in a very different world filled with hybrid monsters and immortal humans, and in a story of love, friendship and sacrifice.

A thousand years have passed since Skilgannon died, a thousand years he was lost in the Void fighting monsters and demons; but now, he’s been given a second chance to
Michael
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As with pretty much everything that David Gemmell ever wrote, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I would recommend anyone who hasn't read his books to give him a try, you won't be disappointed. Start with his most famous, 'Legend' from the Drenai series, you will quickly become engrossed. Hail the mighty, DRUSS the Legend!!
Suzanne
This was a typical Gemmell book (which is a good thing), and it was nice seeing several favorite characters one more time. That said, I thought the previous book was a more satisfying ending to the series.
Charles
Jul 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This is one of the best books, period, that I've read in the last three years. I think it would be very helpful, however, to have read some of the earlier works in this series. That will make you really have a feel for the characters.
Angela
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4 Stars

I have really enjoyed revisiting this book/series. I chose this series as part f my reading challenge for this year, and as a buddy read with one of my colleagues. Even though the first book in the series was released in 1984 (and the latest in 2000) the series has pretty much stood the test of time. It is a fantastic action adventure fantasy- with superb characters and brilliant world building, which brings the whole story/series to life.
I have fond memories of discover
Rik
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, magic, fantasy
An interesting story, really about Skillgannons' redemption more than anything else. I loved the ending.
Vanessa
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it

The novel is good. It's just that I didn't warm towards Skilgannon and Jiana. I still haven't moved on with the 10th novel, and maybe that's why.
Ruth Harwood
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love reading these older novels every now and then - this is absolutely wonderful, with action, reborn evil and reborn good to rid the world of it, but beware the twists, and don't forget the world is shades of grey, not black and white! A great book by a fantasy master!
Mark Farbus
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Steven Bragg
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
Though the antagonist has a reasonably filled-out and conflicted character, pretty much everyone else was thinly realized. The plot does move along moderately well, but interspersing platitudes into the dialog slowed down the pacing. Overall, this book would have been better if about 50 pages had been chopped out of it and a few characters had been dropped. I was getting impatient to finish the book when there were still 100 pages left to read.
Mike (the Paladin)
Oct 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Another winner. Gemmell weaves a story with action and character that I really care about. Is he a writer of "men's" books? Maybe, but give the books a try for yourself. I think they'll appeal to a wide audiance.
Barry Mulvany
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great entry in the Drenai saga and the second and final part of Skilgannon's story. Unfortunately we will never know if Gemmell had planned more stories for him due to his untimely death but what we have are some of his best. This could be read as a standalone, it would give away some spoilers for the previous book but honestly not too much. It's set 1000 years after the first one. How this is possible is explained in the book, 'magic' but not really. Skillgannon wakes in a world that he ...more
Tiberiu Pana
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
It's over! The Drenai Saga is over for me after delaying as much as I could to read them all. Reading them in chronological order made sense to me and I still stick by my decision.

Having a hint of what would happen in this book (from the ending of one of the previous books) I expected the best. That probably wasn't the best mindset to read this.
Not much is happening in more than half of this book and it's quite a shame, as I knew many of the characters and would have appreciated mor
Andrew Herbert
Geoff Battle
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
After a cheese-fuelled night of bizarre Drenai dreams, Gemmell started to pen the wildest soap opera possible, featuring one of his iconic heroes, Skilgannon. At first the story seems a bit 'out there', however Gemmell's flair and ingenuity create a page-turner with an epic story. All the usual trademarks are present; with emotive scenarios, depth of character, well crafted action sequences, great wordplay and narrative, betrayal, love and death. It's great reading, although pushes the suspensio ...more
Rob
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The last novel in the Drenai series. I am sad. Vintage Gemmell storyline and action as he brings back Skilgannon, Jianna, and a variant of Druss the legend. I do agree with another reader who suggests that book 10 should have been the final novel. It was slightly better and Gemmell concocted some serious fantasy to bring back from the dead some of our favorite cast of characters here in book 11. So 4 stars. But Gemmell bringing them back from the dead (or more appropriately the "void") is still ...more
Price
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I believe this is the final work of The Drenai Saga. It ends well and through a confluence of events ties together multiple themes and eventualities from his preceding books. It presents a clean conclusion and unlike some other series, the is little ambiguity in the conclusion.
I enjoyed reading the series and my minor quibbles with the style or story line have little bearing in my overall appreciation of the gift that David Gemmell gave to me through his writing.
Steve Howarth
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable tale with two of his strongest characters united in another doomed situation. Compared to the earlier book I felt that the story in this one wasn't as strong. Perhaps combining the two and keeping the fans happy limited where he could take them (opinion)?

In no way is it a bad book, but during an epic and sadly shortened career he has wrote better, but he ended this one well which is what the character deserved.

Well worth a punt and adding to anyone's bookcase
Finn
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't do this series justice in my review, all I can do is urge any fan of fantasy novels to read them. I wish they weren't over, but this book was absolutely right as an ending. The best of characters, telling us their pragmatic life philosophy concerning a world which, at a deep level, mirrors our own.
Rob
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A nice way to wrap up the Drenai series, it strikes me as if Gemmell may have know the end was near and was tying up list ends. I know this to be untrue but it seems incredibly serendipitous.
Raqual Humphries
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
11 books in the series. Each one as awesome as the last. Now what do I read. Nothing compares
Day Zeralva
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WHAT A CONCLUSION...no words can describe how amazing this book is. I think it's on the same plane as "Legend" in my opinion and that book was hard to beat in my library.
Graham Heslop
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Classic Gemmell: the triumph of good; well written characters; surprising turns and twists; heroism facing terrible odds; reflections on the nature of evil, man; and only slightly predictable
Phil Kozel
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Another very good installment in the Drenai saga! This takes place 1000 years after Druss the legend, in a world plagued by war. Can the 'reborn' heroes save the day?
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Fantasy Buddy Reads: The Swords of Night and Day [Nov 2018] 9 46 Dec 11, 2018 01:19AM
David Gemmell Readers >> Who would win in a fight 6 58 Dec 01, 2015 07:29PM

• Lágrimas do Sol e da Lua (A Saga das Pedras Mágicas, #3)
  • Monument
  • A Manopla de Karasthan (Crónicas de Allaryia, #1)
  • The Bull and the Spear (Corum, #4)
  • King of Foxes (Conclave of Shadows, #2)
  • The Ascendancy Veil (Braided Path, #3)
  • Lord of Lies (The Ea Cycle, #3)
  • Wit'ch War (The Banned and the Banished, #3)
  • The Third God
  • Daemonslayer (Gotrek & Felix #3)
  • Nightchild (Chronicles of the Raven, #3)
  • Chimaera (The Well of Echoes, #4)
  • The Living God (A Handful of Men, #4)
David Andrew Gemmell was a bestselling British author of heroic fantasy. A former journalist and newspaper editor, Gemmell had his first work of fiction published in 1984. He went on to write over thirty novels. Best known for his debut, Legend, Gemmell's works display violence, yet also explores themes in honour, loyalty and redemption. With over one million copies sold, his work continues to sel ...more

The Drenai Saga (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Legend (The Drenai Saga, #1)
  • The King Beyond the Gate (The Drenai Saga, #2)
  • Waylander (The Drenai Saga #3)
  • Quest for Lost Heroes (The Drenai Saga, #4)
  • In the Realm of the Wolf (The Drenai Saga, #5)
  • The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend (The Drenai Saga, #6)
  • The Legend of Deathwalker (The Drenai Saga, #7)
  • Winter Warriors (The Drenai Saga, #8)
  • Hero in the Shadows (The Drenai Saga, #9)
  • White Wolf (The Drenai Saga, #10)
“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat, or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. That was the iron code of Druss the Legend.” 3 likes
“We all of us carry the seed of evil in our hearts and souls,” she told him. “Even the purest, even the most holy. It is part of the human condition, born into us. We cannot root it out. All we can do—at best—is prevent it from germinating.” 1 likes