Start by marking “I'll Be Seeing You” as Want to Read:
I'll Be Seeing You

I'll Be Seeing You

When Juliet Porter's mother dies, she leaves Juliet some old letters and a photograph which shatter all her previously-held beliefs. They show that her real father was an American bomber pilot in the second world war, some forty years before, and that he had met her mother while serving in England. Armed only with this photo, Juliet sets out to trace her real father, and e ...more
Published October 1st 2004 by Corgi (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about I'll Be Seeing You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'll Be Seeing You

Start your review of I'll Be Seeing You
linda hole
This was a fast read for me. Bit it reminded med too much of other books in this genre. I liked the hunt in the book.
Erin
CLM
Sep 22, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Michele
Shelves: fiction
This is about a woman who finds out when her mother died that her natural father was an American flyer pilot during WWII. The father was shot down over France, leaving the WAAF mother pregnant. Fearful of her future, she married the boy next door who pretended Juliet was his own child. Naturally, the father survived, and returned to find his sweetheart had "forgotten" him very quickly. Unlike most books, however, he returned nobly to America and Juliet's mother made the best of things with her h ...more
Andrew
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Juliet finds out by a letter from her mother when she dies that she was the daughter of an American Airman and not who she thought through her life her father was. This story is her journey to find out the truth following that initial upset and denial period.

The book is separated into three parts, the initial explorations, the story of the love affair between her father and her mother, and her continuing journey to find her father.

I find Margaret Mayhew’s books so engaging and you just don’t wa
Rebecca
Sep 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Sweet as sugar candy -- I didn't want to put it down. This has to be the best of light but smart World War II English romance novels. ...more
Vicky
Jul 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ll Be Seeing You by Margaret Mayhew

You are an adult with an adult daughter and your mother dies and leaves you a letter that changes your life! You just find out that the man you called Father all your life and you loved him dearly was not your dad! Apparently, your mom had a fling with a soldier and she thought he died and so she married her good friend who was had always been in love with her! But, the sad thing the soldier wasn’t dead and he never was told that he had a daughter! Juliet wa
Sandra
Aug 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Romantic Treat Set in WWII England

As devastating to human life as war is, the toll exacted on personal relationships is oftentimes equally destructive and the reverberations can echo through multiple generations. In “I’ll Be
Seeing You”, Juliet Porter’s mother lost her battle with cancer and knowing her death was imminent, she left a letter revealing her WWII romance with an American bomber pilot who was Juliet’s biological father and that she’d never stopped loving him. But the letter was wo
Diane
Aug 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first I thought this would be the same type genre: a letter is found giving many new facts and secrets about the deceased; the daughter reads the letter and wants to find out more about the events that led to her mother's secrets. At first I thought, oh no, not another one about a girl thinking her long lost love has been killed only to marry the boy who had loved her since she was a child. In the second part, we find out all about the story behind the letter and Daisy's love affair with her ...more
Maggie Bermann
Jul 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Margaret Mayhew writes wonderful stories that leave you feeling all tingly and warm lol

Story follows a woman who finds out after her mother dies that in fact her father isnt the man she always called Dad but a USA airman, who her mother was engaged to but he was presumed dead and MIA. Off course (and Im sure happened!) he wasnt, and reappears to find out the love of his life has married another man.

Juilet follows the story of her parents love affair eventually finding her way to her real dad.

H
Teresa
Aug 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this WWII story. It was interesting traveling with Juliet as she tries to track down her father. The fact that she just found out the man she thought was her father wasn’t, triggers a myriad of emotions. I loved the relationships Juliet develops as she begins her journey. The clues and connections were well delivered.

This was an emotional read and you find yourself cheering Juliet on as she finally decides that she wants to discover the man her mom loved until the day she died.

T
Susan SM Martin
Enjoyable

This book is like sorbet between courses; pleasant and light. Although the outcome is predictable, Ms Mayhew is adept with descriptive phrases that makes it an enjoyable book. American servicemen "loving then leaving" European and British women pregnant and alone during WW II, and the progeny of the affairs going in search of their paternal ties is a banal storyline. In this case, however, the characters are likeable and developed, and don't stray into schmaltzy or chip-on-the-shoulder
MRS G F GRANT
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Memory Lane

Margaret Mayhew writes wonderful evocative stories that leave you feeling as if you had shared in the experiences of her character's. I also like the conclusions that both wrap up the story in its present sense but leaves something open in your mind so you can personalise the epiogue.
Heather
This was a fast read, great for summer days and beach reading.
I thought it was interesting that the author broke the story in the tree parts with the back story being it’s own section rather than skipping back and forth between past and present. Did not understand the relevance or need for the daughters boyfriend though!
Ending was predictable of course.
Saskia
Jul 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
There was baby boom after WWII and some of those children never knew their father because he was a foreign soldier gone back home after the war.

This is a story about a daughter and her search for her father while learning more about her mother's past while dealing with her loss and the story of the mother and her love story.

It is a wonderful book.
Saskia
Jul 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

It is a wonderful book.
Catherine  Matsubu
A VERY RARE 5* rating from me!

As a retired teacher I believe that there is always room for growth. That's why no give 4*'s as my best. But this book is one of THE best I've read in a very long-time. It was so well done that I feel like the story was written about friends of mine. Thank you Margaret Mayhew. I'll be watching for more!
Linda Longmire
Nov 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will be seeing you!

One of the best books I have ever read. The story was excellent and the characters were respectful, human and truly loved each other Their love lasted a life time and beyond. I do wish daisy had have talked to Hal about her condition and they could have been together even notnot hough she had married someone else. Very well written with an easy flow.
Ramona Bergeron
Dec 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first Margaret Mayhew book. I really enjoyed it and the way she described the characters in the story, you could really almost see them and fee their feelings. I have download 2 more of her books Bluebirds and the Little Ship. Can't wait to read them as I seem to be obsessed with the WWII historical fictions books at this time.
Judy Martin
Dec 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful likeable, realistic characters and story

The description of the countryside, of the wartime airmen and operations, English village life rang true. I enjoyed the development of the romance between the past and current characters...understated and well written. A pleasure in every way.
Barbara
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll be seeing you

Really enjoyed reading this book couldn't put it down. I feel like there should be a follow-up book to it. If there is could somebody tell me what the title is please
sharon check
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Juliet's Search.

A delightful saga of illustrator Juliet's search for her mother's great love during WW II. The author brings the characters alive and the countryside is described so that you feel you are there. I enjoyed every page.
Carol Hatch
Aug 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Missing an Epilogue

I enjoyed the storyline, the characters and the style of writing. Having said that, there were just too many loose ends at the end of the story. It needed an epilogue.
Judy Remiszewski
Loved it, it made me cry.

I am so glad I took a chance on a new author! I loved the setting the characters and I wish there would have been a longer ending!

Nevertheless a very good book and I will reading her other books!
Lucy Martinez
Oct 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well done!

This was an enjoyable read about a woman, Juliet, who found out after her mother died, that she was the daughter of an American pilot her mother had known during the war. The story was about how she found him. Good story I would recommend!
andrea m martin
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“I’ll be reading “the author more often!

A really nice love story. Heartwarming to follow it through generations. Kept me reading until I finished. Loved the title as it reminded me of how many of us oldies treasure “our love song.”❤️
Dorothy M. Smeragliuolo
Teary eyed!

It was a very nostalgic read. The author was able to transport you back in time to a very sad, but truly emotional time in history. I would definitely recommend any of Margaret Mayhew books. Wonderful writing.
peter brown
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tracey
A sweet easy read. The ending felt a bit rushed, but this was the gentle read I needed.
Sandra
Jul 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lovely book to read telling the story a daughters search for the father she never knew will there be a happy ending.Margaret Mayhew draws you into her story's.5* ...more
Ruth Forman Garrett
Wonderful world war 2 love story

I really enjoyed this, although it is the first I have read by this author, but it will certainly not be the last!

• The Ops Room Girls (The Women's Auxiliary Air Force #1)
  • BENEATH US THE STARS
  • Christmas with the Ops Room Girls (The Women's Auxiliary Air Force #2)
  • Sentimental Journey
  • The English Wife
  • The Girl from Vichy
  • An Angel's Work: Heartbreaking and unputdownable World War 2 historical fiction
  • The Stolen Letter: A completely gripping and emotional World War 2 historical novel
  • Under a Sky on Fire
  • The Wartime Nanny: A totally unputdownable World War 2 historical novel
  • The Women of Waterloo Bridge
  • THE TEARS OF AUTUMN heartbreaking and unputdownable World War II historical fiction
  • The Missing Pieces of Nancy Moon: Escape to the Riviera for the most irresistible read of 2020
  • The Dover Cafe at War (The Dover Cafe #1)
  • The Girls in Blue: a gripping and emotional wartime saga
  • The Lost Children
  • Secrets of the Railway Girls (The railway girls series)
  • The Railway Girls (Railway Girls #1)
Margaret Mayhew was born in London and her earliest childhood memories were of the London Blitz. She began writing in her mid-thirties and had her first novel published in 1976. She is married to American aviation author, Philip Kaplan, and lives in Gloucestershire.