Start by marking “Suburban Legends: True Tales of Murder, Mayhem, and Minivans” as Want to Read:
Suburban Legends: True Tales of Murder, Mayhem, and Minivans

Suburban Legends: True Tales of Murder, Mayhem, and Minivans

It's a Terrible Day in the Neighborhood

They told you the suburbs were a great place to live. They said nothing bad could ever happen here.

But they were wrong.

This collection of terrifying true stories exposes the dark side of life in the ’burbs—from corpses buried in backyards and ghosts lurking in fast food restaurants to UFOs, vanishin
Published October 1st 2013 by Quirk Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Suburban Legends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suburban Legends

Start your review of Suburban Legends: True Tales of Murder, Mayhem, and Minivans
Diane in Australia
A collection of true tales ranging from humorous to scary. Sam writes in a very journalist style, and since there are so many tales, he hasn't room to devote heaps of pages to each one. I have included the table of contents, for your reference.

Section 1: INHUMANLY BAD HOUSEGUESTS
The Prime-Time Poltergeist
The Little Girl in the Window
Disturbing Developments
Guess What's Coming to Dinner?
Windbreaker of the Damned
Surreal Estate
The Haunting of 211
Bente
May 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The stories got a little repetitive at times but overall it was a fun (and sometimes even scary) read.
Wulfwyn
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, owned
I liked this book. It is an interesting book to have on hand when you want to read a bit but don’t have a lot of time. The tales in the book are only a few pages each making it very easy to put down and pick up later. I knew some of the tales but that did not affect my enjoyment of reading them in this book. What did was the flat voice. The tales are written in a journalistic style. There is no spooky atmosphere which I do think would have enhanced the enjoyment of each story. The stories are go ...more
Richard (Bound & Determined...)
There’s something simple and satisfying about Suburban Legends...especially for anyone who is a fan of true-crime, ghost stories, and unexplained happenings. Stall does an amazing job and conveying the essentials of each entry in a no-nonsense, tongue-in-cheek kinda way that makes even the most absurd funny and believable at the same time.

Suburban Legends is a super quick read, with each story being only a few pages, and some even have accompanying pictures! And who doesn’t love a book that includes pictures??? Several/>Suburban
Wyatt Packard
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This was an amusing little book with some interesting tales of the spooky and weird and was an okay book to read while on breaks at work or while sitting in some waiting rooms. However, in my mind, the author failed to distinguish many of the stories from one another and many had similar if not the exact same ending lines. "Don't drive on this stretch of road" or "You never really know your neighbor" etc... The writing is also very bland and creates little to no atmosphere, which I think is a ve ...more
Sharon
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intresting book, some stories I had heard before. Some stories I decided to take with a grain of salt. It filled in time, reading this.
Kayla
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was originally excited to read this book but was quickly disappointed. Most of the stories can in no way be proven as "true;" many are about possible hauntings, creature sightings, or other speculations. The writing itself was sub par at best and it just felt like I was reading a long BuzzFeed article.
J.Aleksandr Wootton
I mean, sure.
Amusing.
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
Suburban Legends: True Tales of Murder, Mayhem, and Minivans by Sam Stall is being re-released as an e-book just in time for some scary October fun. This is one of those books full of brief, easy-to-read stories that, and I'm being honest here, are just plain fun to peruse from time to time. Most of the stories are known and not new to this collection. Not one will make sleep difficult, but several should give you a queasy feeling or at least acknowledging the gross-factor. (Certainly several di ...more
Karissa
I got a copy of this book to review from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This was a decent collection of tales involving ghosts, UFOS, murderers, serial killers and other strangeness all set in suburban settings.

The book is broken into seven sections:
1. InHumanly Houseguests.
6. Law of the Dead
7. Sundry Cul-de-sacs

The stories ar
Mishel Forte
I can’t really recall what I was expecting out of Suburban Legends when I agreed to review it. I don’t remember it sinking in to my brain that the stories within were true tales of the “dark side” of suburban life. (Despite being stated right in the beginning of the synopsis… DUH! *smacks head*) I must have been thinking this was going to be a cool, fictional anthology filled with strange but equally as entertaining tales of the oddities that can occur in Suburbia. Uhhh, not exactly…

Pamela D
This book was generously donated by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Just like the blurb suggests, this book is a collection of true stories that range from funny to fairly scary. Most of the stories take place in the suburbs but some of them take place in slightly more rural areas. There are 66 stories in the book (I have to wonder if that was intended or not) and are each less than five pages.

This book is perfect for an October afternoon or evening when you want to c
Gofita
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, short-stories
Received this book for free from the publisher for an honest review.

As a whole, the book had interesting stories to share. But legends are just that legend. I had a hard time with the premise of the book...true tales. Sam stall provided no bibliography, no notes at all at the back of the book. These are all interesting stories, yes. Portray this as that and then provide the links, the references so I can look into these stories for myself, and then I can have the evidence necessary t
Susan
Feb 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Picked it up on a whim at a used bookstore, and I'm glad I did. This would make a great bathroom book, because the stories in it are all two pages, and they're all interesting. Some are murders, some are ghost stories, some are UFOs or other mysterious happenings, all in suburban areas of the country.

My only beef with the book, and this is about the book edition itself, not about the writing, is that it's the kind of binding where it's impossible to read the book without breaking the spine. No matter
Crystal Alvord-Day
I liked this book a lot. I love mysteries and thrillers, but most of the time they are fictional. It was a nice change of pace to pick up a book and read several short tales of "true" mysteries! I enjoyed that the chapters were very short, made it an easy, quick read. And honestly fiction thrillers are nice, but sometimes it's the true thrillers that get you just a little more freaked!! :0) I would def. recommend this book to someone looking for a quick, enjoyable read!
Jay Knioum
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This has something for everyone. Ghosts, cryptids, true crime, UFOs, weird history, and mysteries that defy classification, all within the context of manicured lawns and strip-mall sprawl. Stall's lively style gives the yarns a fun spin.

Some of the stories could have used an accompanying photo for added context, and a magnifier would help the tiny type if you plan on picking up a paper copy. Those are my only gripes.

Recommended for fans of the stranger-than-fiction.
Brian
Jan 31, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this bric-a-brac of stories, the tales involve haunted and murderous goings on that happen in suburban areas. There were several chapters that included ghosts which were somewhat interesting. But the ones that were the most shocking and gruesome were the ones that revolved around murder. This was a quick, entertaining read.
Megan Bodwell
Oct 07, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, 2012
Not great at all. The stories weren't legends so much as just really strange anecdotes. Also, author Sam Stall didn't seem interested in doing much research for the book, as each story was extremely short without much background information or follow up. Couple that with the very informal and trite writing style and one has a very dull book indeed.
Michelle
Mar 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It only took 3 days to read this book. I really enjoyed it. The chapters were really short. Haunted houses, ghosts, poltergeists and people like John List, Betty Broderick, and the Amityville Horror were all covered. The pictures were very retro. Very reader friendly :)
Stephanie  H
Aug 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brain-food
A quick, light read, entertaining but unremarkable. This would be a good book to read on a plane or in a waiting room.
Amber Terry
I thought I would like this one more. I enjoyed it, but there just wasn't enough material for me to be entirely pulled in by the stories.
Chris Rayle
Yeppers, no matter how quiet and cozy a place seems, weird shit can lurk. Had some interesting stuff, but didn't really grab the attention too well.
Kristyna Marie
It was interesting. Had some good stories. Loved that it included the Amityville horror house prior to the Lutz family.
Mike Mcconnell
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
The stories are presented in a bare bones fashion and in general the book would have benefited from fewer stories and a narrative or factual enlargement of some of the more interesting stories.
Amy
Jan 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good stories, all of them true. (supposedly) There were only a couple I have heard somewhere else, the rest were new to me. Very entertaining.
Cindy Franklin
Apr 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Book! Really fun read!
Taylor
A quick read assortment of tales from urban myth, including psychos and the supernatural. Though pure froth, it became annoying to read because it reads like a Groupon ad.
Dharia Scarab
Nov 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting mixture of true crime, ghost stories, and other legends.
Billy Zayac
Jun 23, 2009
Francis Wiget ii
rated it it was ok
Nov 10, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Halloween Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery)
  • Dying to Remember (Smithwell Fairies Cozy Mystery #1)
  • The Saturday Night Ghost Club
  • My Dead World
  • The Nameless City (The Nameless City, #1)
  • The Family Under the Bridge
  • Don't Scream: 60 Tales to Terrify
  • System Of A Down: Hipnotyczny Krzyk
  • Spill Zone (Spill Zone, #1)
  • A Study in Emerald
  • The Principles of Uncertainty
  • The Muledeer Chronicles: A Skinwalker Book
  • The Rust Maidens
  • Captain (The United Federation Marine Corps, #4)
  • The Lonely Doll