Start by marking “Hit (Hit, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hit (Hit, #1)

Hit

(Hit #1)

NO ONE READS THE FINE PRINT.

The good news is that the USA is finally out of debt. The bad news is that we were bought out by Valor National Bank, and debtors are the new big game, thanks to a tricky little clause hidden deep in the fine print of a credit card application. Now, after a swift and silent takeover that leaves 9-1-1 calls going through to Valor voicemail, they
Published April 14th 2015 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Hit, please sign up.

Start your review of Hit (Hit, #1)
Patrick
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Goddamn it. I just wrote a good review of this book and then the computer just ate it.

Long story short? It's good. You should give it a try.

Madison Warner Fairbanks
Hit by Delilah S Dawson
Hit #1. Dystopian YA thriller. Cliffhanger.
Fast paced and tightly written. Engrossing and electrifying.
Do you read every line in those contracts or software agreements? Imagine if in the small print it includes a kill or die condition. Scary thought what may be in those 20 pages of legalese.

The banks have taken over for the government. There are no more police. Teenagers have been tested with a hidden agenda.
The bank: Pay your debt or become a mercenary. Or die.

I like
Taylor Knight
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
I'd never heard of this book or author until I seen it on Pulse It. I thought the cover was awesome and different plus the synopsis sounded pretty interesting. I started reading it right away without looking at any reviews. I liked this book at first but around 20% in, so many things started popping up that I found to be concerning. After that, everything just started to fall apart.

Okay, first thing that I hated, is the main character is named Patsy Klein. I've never wanted to throw a book at th
Giselle
A finished copy was provided by the publisher for review.

A teenager who has to kill ten people in five days or Valor Savings will murder her mother. This is the gist of Hit. It sounds crazy right?? Well I thought so too. It started off all right at the beginning where Patsy is at the first kill and she flashes back to the past as to how it all started...But then it went down hill...

I thought it was going to be some sort of take-down with Valor Savings because who would take this offer?! Survivin
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
For more reviews, gifs, Cover Snark and more, visit A Reader of Fictions.

Before I get into this, I want to be totally clear about the fact that it wasn’t Hit‘s blurb that made me curious; it was Delilah S. Dawson. I follow her on Twitter and love reading her blog posts. She’s incredible funny, laugh until tears are leaking from my eyes and can’t breathe funny. With how much I love all of the things I’ve read by her online, I figured that Hit couldn’t possibly miss, but, once again, I’ve been pro
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Delilah S. Dawson is an author whose previous work I thoroughly enjoyed. Her adult paranormal romance series fought through my PNR allergies thanks to Ann Aguirre’s wholehearted recommendation, so when Delilah started writing in a genre I actually enjoy, I was over the moon. Her first YA book, Servants of the Storm, certainly had its problems, but it was delightfully creepy overall and I really enjoyed the tone. Hit is a very different book, with a very different dynamic, although no less spine- ...more
Michael Hicks
My original HIT audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Rather than start with a dystopia already in progress, Delilah S. Dawson starts right at the beginning on Day One of the apocalypse. Valor Savings has secretly just bought up all of America’s debt and now controls the nation. Congress has cashed out on their biggest-ever payday and the police have the day off while Valor hit-men go after debtors failing to properly contribute to society. Have a student loan, or a
Amber (Books of Amber)
Mar 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
Hit was not the best book I’ve read this year, which is a shame because Ms. Dawson is lovely and I was really intrigued by the concept. I mean, hitmen?! YES PLEASE. Give me alllll the hitmen. Unfortunately, I ended up having quite a few issues with this book and I didn’t really enjoy it after the first fifty or so pages.

Hit starts off well, as do a lot of books that I end up not enjoying, as it introduces Patsy, the main character, and a world where a bank has pretty much taken over the American
Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd)
This and other reviews can be found on The Psychotic Nerd

MY THOUGHTS
A dystopian book with a plot based on how no one reads the fine print, and now they either die or become assassins. Who reads the fine print, right? No one does, I don't, so a dystopian based on this is very interesting.

Thanks to some fine print with their credit cards, Valor Savings Bank has full permission to kill their customers or force them to become assassins. When Patsy's mom becomes in debt, they come to her house a
Cee (The Mistress Case)
Apr 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: dystopia
I am indecisive about how to feel about the plot. It makes sense, but at the same time, it's not a believable pre-dystopia world for me. Not that I'm saying the possibility can't be real because I do love how this book is like a slap to the materialistic society in America.

The events fucked up the heroine. She wasn't some kid that the author forced to possess a bravado just so nothing could tear the heroine down. She had to make hard and reckless choices, and she acted and reacted realistically.
Shelley
*Genre* Young Adult, Science Fiction
*Rating* 3.0

*My Thoughts*

Delilah S. Dawson's Hit is a story that isn't far out of the realm of possibilities for a country, like the US, who has borrowed trillions dollars and continues to have unfunded liabilities that they can't pay back. Imagine, however, that instead of allowing the US government to continue it's spending and borrowing ways, a rather large bank (Valor Savings) steps in and buys the countries entire debt back.

*Full Review posted @ Gizmos Re
Michelle Wrona
*Review copy provided by publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. Thank you so much!*

This book was like one of those 911 calls that this book's world couldn't take—breathtaking, heart-pounding, and certainly life changing. Coming from being my first Delilah S. Dawson book, I’m all but disappointed and this is definitely going to make it onto my top 10 favourite books that were released in 2015.

I feel so mega-fortunate to have been given a copy of this way early before the
Melliane
Mar 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Mon avis en Français

My English review

I appreciate the novels by Delilah S. Dawson and when I saw the release of this one, I was immediately intrigued. The author is unparalleled to create different and dark atmospheres and she really managed to do something very interesting here.

The world has changed and the United States have discovered the perfect solution to get rid of the debt they have accumulated over the years: Valor National Bank. This company has just bought everything, emergency number
Krystianna
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review
**Thank you so much to Simon Pulse for providing me with a copy to read in exchange for an honest review!**

This book immediately starts off with a bang. We find out that the United States has been taken over by a bank called Valor National and that the government is no longer. Patsy, the protagonist, has been chosen to go after ten different people who are in extreme debt to this bank. Each of these ten people has to choose one of three things: pay off the debt now in full, become a bounty hunt
Deanne
This is the third review I have written for this book. The first one was brief and basically just said I didn't like it. The second one slightly elaborated the first one. Each time I thought I could move on from this, I found myself contemplating it further. Now that I've had some time to think about what I liked and didn't like about Hit, I might be able to put it to rest.

I did enjoy this story. I really loved Patsy, she was well written and I connected to her. Plus, she's a knitter! She knits
Nancy
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
In the not distant future, America gets out of debt because corporate America, Valor Bank, pays it all off. That somehow equates to Valor owning America. Constitution is null and void, laws are gone, and Valor calls all the shots. Valor also calls in loans to be paid in full. Pay it now, pledge to be an indentured servant for five days to be a bounty hunter, or die via the teenager delivering your choices and holding a gun.

That was the choice Patsy Klein (really) heard given to her mother. Exce
Cassandra Page
This beautiful little piece of book mail arrived a while ago and got bumped to the top of my to-read pile, because I have a bit of a crush on Dawson and her work. Her last book, Servants of the Storm, blew my mind with her writing and the WTF twist at the end. (I’m still hanging out for a sequel, BTW!)

Hit didn’t disappoint.

The genre is dystopian, but it’s the kind of dystopian we don’t often see except in zombie fiction — the kind where the world is just starting to collapse. The government has
Halley Hopson
Apr 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
I read this for the first time almost 5 years ago 😳

And it definitely held up! I very much enjoyed it the second time around and am excited to finish off the duology 👏🏻

~~~

I genuinely enjoyed this book. I thought the premise sounded interesting and reminded me very much for some reason of Repo! The Genetic Opera which I love. I was a big fan of Patsy as a character and the way she reacted to being in such an impossibly horrifying situation. I loved Wyatt and I very much enjoyed the little bits and
Max Baker
Thank you Edelweiss and Simon Pulse for providing me a free DRC in exchange for and honest review

This is my fist Delilah S. Dawson book, I've been meaning to read Servant of the Storm for a while, but I just haven't gotten around to it. But when I got this from Edelweiss and finally read it, after putting it off for a while, I can honestly say I don't know how Dawson can top this book.

It's hard to find believable dystopians out there. Some of them just throw random-ass official sounding governme
Erin Lynn
Amber

Hit asks more questions than it is prepared to answer.

Plot: The United States has sold its debt to the banks, and because no one cares about what they're signing, the banks have legally been killing the "weakest links" of society. What I liked the most about this concept is that it made me think, a lot. As a society, we no longer even consider documents without scribbling our John Hancock, so what's stopping anyone from abusing that power? While it started off as Patsy knocking off 10 p
Paige Bradish
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I borrowed Hit by Delilah S. Dawson from work and this is my honest review.

In Hit, we meet teen Patsy who is tasked with the scary job of offering people two choices; to die because of their debt or to be a bounty hunter like her, all because her mom is underneath her own pile of debt. Throughout the novel we follow Carly on her journey of ruining the lives of many.

After reading the description of this book I knew it was for me. Ever since I started getting back into teen I have loved roadtrip b
Kevin Jacobson
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
They weren't kidding about not being able to put it down...I thought I'd just read a bit before bed, next thing I know it's 3 A.M. and I had finished the book. I do hope there will be sequels because I am dying to know what's happening in the world and what will happen with the characters...the conspiracy seems so perfectly targeted, what with the selection of targets for the main character, that I've got soooo many burning questions.

Michael Underwood
This book is amazing. Like, substantive addition to the canon of dystopian literature amazing. Low-tech cyberpunk late capitalist debt-and-credit-based toxic consumerist corporatist society amazing.

When I first heard about the idea I was excited, but the way HIT fleshed out the emotional journey and personalized the abstract is truly impressive. One of my favorite books of the last few years.
Khaalidah Muhammad-Ali
There is a lot wrong with this book. And so much that could have gone right, but managed to miss the mark.
But, I admit this may have been partly my fault. I didn't know this was about a teenage girl. Had i known, I would have predicted the predictable. A tough as nails girl turned into pile of mush when a boy came on the scene.
The story premise, our country gone all wrong and people bring forced to become government assassins in order to pay off their debts and save their lives, it...intriguing
Hobart
Jul 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
★ ★ ★ 1/2
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader. If you like this, you may enjoy other things on the blog.
---
When I heard Dawson talk about this on The Once & Future Podcast this past Spring, I knew I had to read it. But like with about half the things I say that about when I listen to that podcast, I never got around to it. I'm so glad I finally remembered to grab it. This was a great read -- a heckuva gut punch. A great immersive experience.

Sure, we've all read dystopian fic
Dani

Thanks to Edelweiss for the ARC.

This is a dystopian satire of the United States of America (now owned by a bank) with too much romance for my taste.

Everyone knows that I don't read too much young adult or paranormal romance, but I met Delilah Dawson by Servants of the Storm, a paranormal story. It surprised me very much because it had gruesome elements that paranormal romances usually don't have and the romance was not the centre of the plot. So, when I requested Hit on Edelweiss and got ap
Susan Spann
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-thriller
I read this book in two nights, and would have finished it in one except that I had a client deadline the following morning which required me getting some sleep. HIT is a superbly-written page-turner of the first order. Patsy's voice is funny and moving in all the right places, and her reactions to her predicament are realistic and on-point. Delilah Dawson's writing is smooth and vivid--never once did the words pull me out of the story with awkward phrasing or out-of-character speech.

The post-V
Bookcrazy
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Plot:
No one reads the fine prints.
The Valor National Bank buys the USA out of their debts and takes them over and anarchy starts to break out.
Our protagonist Patsy gets 3 choices, because her mother signed a debit card contract with Valor National including a special hidden fine print clause.
Now three choices are left:
1. pay the whole debt immediatly
2. let her mother get murdered/they'll shoot her
3. or go on a five day mission to kill others
Obviously Patsy is forced to take choice number three
Lauraelisabeth (fashion-by-the-book)
I received a copy of this book in exchanged for a honest review. In no way did the author or publishing company influence my review. For all my reviews, see my blog fashion-by-the-book.tumblr.com

First of all, this book marks a huge honor for me, and Fashion by the Book. I was asked to do the cover reveal! (the post you can see here.) Thank you so much, SimonTeen!

No one reads the fine print, and everyone uses Credit Cards. While Valor National Bank saved the US, they are also the reason why Pat
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Holiday Temptation
  • Marine Biology (San Andreas Shifters, #0.5)
  • The Rakehell of Roth (Everleigh Sisters, #2)
  • His First Christmas (His First, #1)
  • Hazel and Gray (Faraway, #2)
  • The Wickeds (Faraway, #5)
  • The Cleaners (Faraway, #4)
  • The Princess Game (Faraway, #3)
  • Roommate
  • The Off Limits Rule (It Happened in Nashville, #1)
  • Yesterday's Heroes (Boomers #0.5)
  • Himiko: Bonding
  • Burn Our Bodies Down
  • The First Holidays
  • Love, Lies and Spies
  • Cindi's Christmas Prince (Starborn Fairy Tales, #1)
  • Crown Princess Academy (Crown Princess Academy, #1)
Delilah S. Dawson is the New York Times-bestselling author of Star Wars: Phasma, Black Spire: Galaxy's Edge, and The Perfect Weapon. With Kevin Hearne, she writes the Tales of Pell. As Lila Bowen, she writes the Shadow series, beginning with Wake of Vultures. Her other books include the Blud series, the Hit series, and Servants of the Storm.

She's written comics in the worlds of Marvel Action: Spid