Start by marking “The Rest is Silence (Billy Boyle World War II #9)” as Want to Read:
The Rest is Silence (Billy Boyle World War II #9)

The Rest is Silence

(Billy Boyle World War II Mysteries #9)

When an unidentified corpse washes ashore at Slapton Sands on England's southern coast, US Army Captain Billy Boyle and his partner, Lieutenant Piotr "Kaz" Kazimierz, are assigned to investigate. The Devonshire beach is the home to Operation Tiger, the top-secret rehearsal for the approaching D-Day invasion of Normandy, and the area is restricted; no one seems to know wher ...more
Published September 2nd 2014 by Soho Crime

To ask other readers questions about The Rest is Silence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rest is Silence

Dana Stabenow
Jul 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Wherein Ike's personal investigator Billy Boyle solves a murder hidden in an accidental massacre brought about by one of the biggest screw-ups leading to the invasion of Normandy in World War II. The scene on the beach will haunt you for a long time.
Donna
Jun 02, 2015 rated it liked it
This is my fourth book in this series and so far, I've liked every book. I love the historical fiction part of this. These books are set in WWII. I also love the MC, Billy Boyle. He is a solid soldier with investigating skills. He is also easy to relate to.

I also loved the narrator. He did accents and genders so well. It is so easy to follow along and focus when the narrator does an amazing job.

I liked this book, but it wasn't my favorite. There seemed to be a lot of talking about things over
Derek
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Christine!
I've always enjoyed these WWII mysteries, but this one's kind of special as it's set on the Devon coast, near to where I'm currently living. As usual, a wealth of genuine detail about the locale and conditions during the war.
Fredrick Danysh
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Captain Billy Boyd and Kaz are visiting one of Kaz's college friends when they are called upon to find and identify the bodies of ten BIGOT officers when German sink several LSTs practicing landings at Slapton Sands. A naval officer is also murdered at the estate Billy and Kaz are staying at. A good mysyery read and who done it.
Connie
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
This may well be the best Billy Boyle historical mystery I've read. It takes place as the allies are planning and preparing for D-Day. I had no knowledge of the huge loss of life at Slapton Sands near Dartmouth, a loss far greater than at Utah Beach. I did know that Greenway, Agatha Christie's home across the river Dart was used by the allied forces while planning the attack. Having been to this area while on one of our hiking trips helped immensely in my vision of this book's setting.
Highly rec
Bill Sleeman
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very good overall. Without giving anything away some of the ‘mystery’ was too predictable – right out of a cheap regency romance but that was okay once I got past the obviousness of the crime and the culprits. On the plus side Billy’s love Diane did not make her appearance until near the end of the story and after all the action and crime-solving so no stilted romantic dialogue. The action moves well and the setting is well developed and engaging.
Barbara
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was another exciting Billy Boyle mystery! I feel like I've come to be "friends" with a lot of historical mystery series characters and Billy remains high on
my list! This installment involves several murders/deaths, and the usual dysfunctional family! Billy and his buddies Kaz and Big Mike are involved in the preparations for DDay--espionage is on everyone's mind.
Jackie
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I loved the fact that this is a work of fiction and an intriguing story yet the things in the story really happened during World War 2. Unless I had read this book, I doubt that I would have ever heard about the tragedy at Slapton Sands, England. Such a tragic loss of 946 lives and the majority of it because of ignorance (i.e. the life belts and the friendly fire).
Melissa
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It was a fantastic story in its own right, but it read like an Agatha Christie story. The cameos of several historical figures, including Christie herself, was a major bonus. I can rarely finish s series without getting bored and having to take a break from it, but I have not been able to stop reading this series, or put any of the individual books down once I start.
Lee Edwards
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Most everyone else has already said it! This is the best in the Billy Boyle series to date!
Sue
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a good change of pace and a welcome return to a series I have enjoyed for a while now.

Full review to come
Chris
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Like all Billy Boyle books, this one was a page-turner. I love the historical setting and the way James Benn weaves real personalities into the story.
Jim
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have been away from JAMES BENN for too long. Ironically, I finished reading THE REST IS SILENCE on the 75th Anniversary of the Operation Tiger calamity that is the focus of the 9th book in the Billy Boyle WWII mysteries.

In late April 1944, just weeks before D-Day, a mock landing in Devon at Slapton Sands took place. Over 900 service members died when the practice landings were attacked (by chance) by German E-Boats.

Captain Billy Boyle, nephew to General Dwight Eisenhower and his personal mili
John Purvis
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“The Rest is Silence” ebook was published in 2014 and was written by James R. Benn (http://www.jamesrbenn.com). Mr. Benn has published twelve novels, all in the “Billy Boyle WWII Mystery” series. This is the 9th novel in that series.

I purchased this novel from the Barnes & Noble (Nook) bookstore. I categorize this novel as ‘PG’ because it contains scenes of Violence. The story is set in World War II England, just weeks before the Allied invasion of France. US Army Captain Billy Boyle is the
erin bloom
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always worth a read

As I move from Billy Boyle story to Billy Boyle story I am caught up, fascinated by the details and the characters, the stories and the mysteries, and most of all by Billy, Kaz, Diana, Big Mike, Colonel Harding and a wide cast of friends, family, soldiers, cops, and even some celebrities. Well done James R. Benn. Keep 'em coming.
Mary
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another fine Billy Boyle mystery. Bits of history, blended with a murder mystery, cameo appearances of Agatha Christie and Yogi Berra, and a cast of memorable characters, this is a worthwhile read! The Author's note at the end is concise and helps tie up the fact and fiction. Billy Boyle is a pleasure to read and remains one of my favorites.
Doug
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The series continues to keep my attention. Blends together a good mix of real-life events (like the Operation Tiger disaster), with real people (Yogi Berra and Agatha Christie and top secret BIGOTs) and a good old-fashioned whodunnit. Starts out with one dead body that requires investigation, and expands into a much broader mystery, as always.
Stewart Wolfe
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I Couldn't Put This Book Down!

I have been quickly working my way through the Billy Boyle series, and this volume is the best one yet. I love the way James Benn works real-life characters into his works of fiction. These books are fast moving, interesting, believable, and most importantly enjoyable to read!
Michael Rhode
Jan 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
There's a brief statement in this which implies that #10 took place before this one (#9).

Also, there's a couple of real-life appearances which are a little jarring, even though Eisenhower is a character in the books already.
Michael Garin
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lorna
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book as my father was a Canadian at Slapton and met ,you mother in Dartmouth, so I know of th0.e true story ?.

I really liked how the story was put to gather and if you know Slapton and three places around it makes it more life like .
Todd
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, thoroughly enjoyed the Agatha Christie tie in!
Katherine Nollner
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
really come to care about the characters as the series goes on, learn something about the war with every book
Eloise
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Billy Boyle is such a likable character. The was a whole lot going on in the story. Sometimes hard to follow the twists and turns. Ultimately quite believable.
Hugh Heinsohn
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating. Well written and fully entertaining.
mike watson
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm a huge fan of the Billy Boyle series. I haven't followed in sequence which is great about these historical fiction mysteries. It is not required.
WWII history fans will enjoy this fun read!!
Jim
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Best yet of the Billy Boyle books. Combination English drawing room mystery/melodrama with a history lesson about the run up to D-day and with the fleeting appearance of Yogi Berra. Great read.
LJ
First Sentence: I knew I was in trouble when the corner wheeled in the body, encased in a rubber sack, on a wobbly gurney with one wheel that wanted to go in any direction but straight.

It is April 1944; plans for D-Day have been made and the different branches of service and nationalities of military are rehearsing for the critical day. However, an unidentified body has washed up on Slapton Sands, the beach replicating the landing site of Normandy Beach. General Eisenhower sends Captain Billy Bo
Jill Meyer
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am comparing James Benn's latest book, "The Rest is Silence" to the preceding books in the "Billy Boyle" series, not necessarily to other historical mysteries. I think most readers of the review will already be familiar with the "Billy Boyle" series. "Silence" is the ninth book in the series.

Why do people read historical fiction? In many cases, these books give both an enjoyable plot and the chance for the reader to learn a bit more about history. That is, if the author writes the history with
Andrew Lee
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another thrilling and engaging read from mystery author James R. Benn to his Billy Boyle series. Much like the other books in this series, our eponymous hero, Billy once again finds himself immersed in a eerie mystery within the backdrop of World War 2 exploding around him.

Explosions occur relatively less this time as this entry involves Billy once again in the English countryside in the finals months leading up to the Allied invasion of Europe. When a mysterious body that floats ashore on the b
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Fete Worse Than Death (Jack Haldean Murder Mystery #1)
  • At Some Disputed Barricade (World War I, #4)
  • No Known Grave (Detective Inspector Tom Tyler, #3)
  • The Insane Train (Hook Runyon #2)
  • A Lesson in Love and Murder (Herringford and Watts Mysteries, #2)
  • The Collaborators
  • The End of War: A Novel of the Race for Berlin
  • The Arms Maker of Berlin
  • Sherlock Holmes: Gods of War
  • The Good Liar
  • Death Wears a Mask (Amory Ames Mystery, #2)
  • Lucifer's Harvest (The Chronicles of Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon #9)
  • The Language of the Dead (Inspector Lamb, #1)
  • The Pearl Harbor Murders (Disaster Series, #3)
  • The Entertainer and the Dybbuk
  • Desert Run (A Lena Jones Mystery #4)
  • In Milady's Chamber (John Pickett Mysteries, #1)
  • Present Darkness (Detective Emmanuel Cooper, #4)
James R. Benn is the author of Billy Boyle: A World War II Mystery, selected by Book Sense as one of the top five mysteries of 2006 and nominated for a Dilys Award. The First Wave was a Book Sense Notable title.
Benn is a librarian and lives in Hadlyme, Connecticut.

Billy Boyle World War II Mysteries (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Billy Boyle (Billy Boyle World War II, #1)
  • The First Wave (Billy Boyle World War II, #2)
  • Blood Alone (Billy Boyle World War II, #3)
  • Evil for Evil (Billy Boyle World War II, #4)
  • Rag and Bone (Billy Boyle World War II, #5)
  • A Mortal Terror (Billy Boyle World War II, #6)
  • Death's Door (Billy Boyle World War II, #7)
  • A Blind Goddess (Billy Boyle World War II, #8)
  • The White Ghost (Billy Boyle World War II, #10)
  • Blue Madonna (Billy Boyle World War II, #11)
“uncomfortable truth. “Our fair ladies are quite enough themselves,” Edgar said, rejoining the group and handing Big Mike a drink. “Don’t” 0 likes