Start by marking “Vintage Made Modern: Transforming Timeworn Textiles into Treasured Heirlooms” as Want to Read:
Vintage Made Modern: Transforming Timeworn Textiles into Treasured Heirlooms

Vintage Made Modern: Transforming Timeworn Textiles into Treasured Heirlooms

Create modern heirlooms using vintage materials--a collection of 35 innovative projects showcasing the exceptional beauty in timeworn textiles.

Vintage Made Modern is a book devoted to recycling just as generations before us have, utilizing timeworn textiles with histories of their own. With a little resourcefulness, gentle care, and some creative repurposing, the 35 i
Published September 30th 2014 by Roost Books (first published September 2nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Vintage Made Modern, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vintage Made Modern

Tina
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, adult
Yawn. Why do so many craft books bore me? I love crafting - I love flipping through craft books. But seriously, most are pretty crappy. This one has a great idea -- reusing older fabrics, especially retired quilts, to create new amazing things. Great, okay. Now let's see some really amazing things. Except . . no. We get the same old things every other book has, only with fewer pictures and less "poppy" fabrics. So yes, I love the concept, hence the second star. But omg where was the wow?
Miki
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Another book full of projects of the sort people give you and you throw in a drawer because you can't think of what to do with them. My favorite was the steering wheel cover made out of a patchwork quilt. Really?
Marianne
Jul 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Pretty things, clear if minimalist project instructions.
Carol
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
I was giving an arc copy of this book from Net Galley to review. As a quilter myself, I love the idea of re-purposing vintage quilts and linens. Jennifer Casa does a great job of explaining what type of fabrics or quilts to use and how to care for them. There is a good range of projects including decoupaged frames and jewelry and a doll and even a wreath. The written instructions are detailed and the pictures of the finished projects are pretty. I would recommend this book to someone who has exp ...more
Jacquie
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sewing-crafting
Finally some up-cycling ideas for those odds and ends of vintage quilt pieces! As the only quilter in my family I inherited my great-grandfather's quilting stash; the unfinished bits and pieces have sentimental value but I've never known quite what to do with them until now. The directions are simple and straight forward and I can't wait to give some family treasures new life. The author also has a great section on laundering vintage quilts/fabrics which is a question I've been asked more than o ...more
Bekka
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: home-decor, crafts
Thanks to Netgalley.com and Roost Books for early access to this title.

I LOVED this book! There are some really great ideas here for upcycling and repurposing old, worn and vintage materials. I definitely want to try some of these. I like that the author displayed a lot of respect for the older fabrics, and I also appreciate her idea that saving older material in this way is a great way to remember and honor the past. The instructions and patterns all look fairly simple and easy to use, particul
Carrie Hill
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads, craft
This book had me from the Dresden plate on the cover. But it didn't stop there. There are a huge range of projects, some that don't require sewing skills (if that's not your thing.) Each project celebrates the original piece - be it a well worn quilt, a pillow case, or even just a tiny scrap - and puts the treasured fabric back into daily use, instead of being forgotten in a linen closet. I am so happy to add this beautifully photographed and easy to follow book to my crafty resources.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
In the first 2/3rds pf the book, almost all of the projects involve patchwork with the same fabrics and lots of hexagons. I like the repurposing of old fabrics but there are more than old quilts to cut up. The rest of the book is slightly more interesting but basically the whole thing was just bland to me.

The instructions are fine and illustrated by line drawings. The projects are very simple and suitable for beginners. Advanced sewers don't really need this book.
T Crockett
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: craft
Thanks to Pinterest etc. it's hard these days to find a craft book that truly offers something new. This one does. Lots of ideas I wouldn't have thought of (and that I'd want to have in my house). Only reason I didn't give 5 stars, is that some projects could have used photos that made it easier to see the entire finished project.
Ryan
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Perfect for anyone who is into shabby sheak. It had some interesting projects, and the book itself had a great layout, and pictures.
Amber
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Once I got over the idea of cutting up old quilts, I thought this book was cute and full of interesting ideas.
Heather
Mar 09, 2018
Erica
Apr 08, 2018
Shari
rated it did not like it
Aug 15, 2016
Oct 30, 2014
Melissa Cheresnick
Sep 08, 2014
  • Mend It Better: Creative Patching, Darning, and Stitching
  • The Modern Natural Dyer: A Comprehensive Guide to Dyeing Silk, Wool, Linen and Cotton at Home
  • The Handmade Life: A Companion to Modern Crafting
  • Slow Stitch: Mindful and Contemplative Textile Art
  • How to be a Craftivist: The Art of Gentle Protest
  • Knit to Flatter: The Only Instructions You'll Ever Need to Knit Sweaters That Make You Look Good and Feel Great!
  • Sew Fab: Sewing and Style for Young Fashionistas
  • How to Catch a Frog: And Other Stories of Family, Love, Dysfunction, Survival, and DIY
  • Mending Matters: Stitch, Patch, and Repair Your Favorite Denim & More
  • The Knowledgeable Knitter: From Planning Your Project to Fitting and Finishing, All You Need to Know to Unlock Your Knitting Potential
  • Lotta Prints: How to Print with Anything, from Potatoes to Linoleum
  • Print Workshop: Hand-Printing Techniques and Truly Original Projects
  • Free to Make: How the Maker Movement is Changing Our Schools, Our Jobs, and Our Minds
  • Cræft: An Inquiry Into the Origins and True Meaning of Traditional Crafts