Start by marking “Scrum: The Art of Doing Twice the Work in Half the Time” as Want to Read:
Scrum: The Art of Doing Twice the Work in Half the Time

Scrum: The Art of Doing Twice the Work in Half the Time

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  13,932 ratings  ·  1,291 reviews
Se você já foi surpreendido por quão rápido o mundo está mudando, Scrum é uma das razões. Para aqueles que acreditam que deve haver uma maneira mais eficiente de se fazer as coisas, este é um livro sobre o processo de gestão que está mudando a maneira como vivemos. Desde o advento do método, já foram registrados ganhos de produtividade de até 1.200%. Tecida com insights de ...more
Published September 30th 2014 by Crown Business (first published 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Scrum, please sign up.

·  13,932 ratings  ·  1,291 reviews

Start your review of Scrum: The Art of Doing Twice the Work in Half the Time
Romantical Skeptic
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: improve-thyself
Once I got over the extremely self-aggrandizing tone of the author, I found some of the points quite useful. Basically this is a way of operationalizing the 80/20 rule. Here are the things I took away from it:

1. Good team size. 4-6 is optimal, 20 is way too many.
2. Multitasking is a myth - people who think they’re good at it, actually are the worst. The truth is people are serial processing, not parallel, and it takes the brain longer to switch gears so all you’re doing is slowing yourself down.
Jeff Sutherland
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
After Ken Schwaber and I wrote "Software in 30 Days" I felt we didn't have enough stories about Scrum outside of software development. This book is for the general business reader in any domain. It also tells the personal story of how my 11 years as a fighter pilot and another 11 years as a medical school professor affected the development of Scrum and the writing of the Agile Manifesto.
Tim
Mar 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
I was trying to decide what to give this book as a rating. It wasn't what I was hoping for. I really don't want to hear how smart the creator is or how much better what he is doing is compared to other methodologies - what I want to hear is the nuts and bolts of how to make this idea work and what separates it from the rest of the herd. Frankly, nothing presented showed me any of what I was looking for. So it was going to be either a 3 (more or less neutral) or just pass by not giving any rating ...more
Ali
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
If you are interested in the historical context of scrum and want to read "around and about" it, this looks like a good book for you. But if you want to learn scrum this is not the book for you.
Katarina
Apr 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
I had high expectations for this book, but it left me feeling kinda blah about it.

Maybe I have business self-help book overload, I just wasn't blown away by this.

The majority of the book got skimmed as I wasn't sucked into reading each word and looking for the gold nuggets, the magic bullet.
Sherry Elswick
Mar 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
Although there are kernels of wisdom and good advice on how to be productive, I found it difficult and tedious to wade through the author's biographical background and the data supporting his theory. This would have made a really good magazine article; a book wasn't necessary.
Amir Tesla
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the original book on Scrum-way of project management.
It was amazing.
All the components of the scrum framework are deeply rooted in well-established productivity principles e.g. feedback loop, focusing on one thing, the one thing has to bring the most value, accountability, etc.
Jose Papo
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The book is basic for someone who already studies and practices Agile Methodologies for a long time. But the book deserves five stars because goes on the Why of Scrum, Why Scrum works and how it is adapted to the new realities of work in the 21st century.

Some of the interesting topics: The origins of Scrum, Team principles, Waste management, The importance of priorities and time management and how this fits with 'estimation' and how to begin implementing Scrum in your team or org.

So it's strong
Steve
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This isn't a guide to Scrum per-se. Which is probably good, since there are lots of guides to scrum at the practices at varying levels of details. What this book does is talk help you understand the value of scrum through stories. There is an appendix of scrum practices at the end. The book is full of war stories (both literally and figuratively), and Sutherland is clearly proud of how he, his family, and organizations he has worked with, have applied scrum. Reading this book will help energize ...more
Bernie Noel
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Essential.
Maksym Lysak
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A must read for people and teams who cares about their productivity. Key takeaways for me:
1. Great teams are: transcendent (alignment with a higher purpose), cross-functional (have all skills to complete the project), autonomous (influence planning and decision-making process, freedom to decide "how" to deliver). Optimal size 7 (+-2)
2. Iterate fast. Plan => Do => Check => Act. Week or two for each iteration (Sprint). At the end of the iteration have some version of the product/feature that you c
Femina Ernest
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tasted-papers
I can say , this is a "Myth & Rule Breaker" book. It is a revolution-creating , trend setting , thought-provoking , boldly truth spreading , Modern SDLC patterned , long - awaited successful-system-for-work telling Book. Jeff's metaphor for Scrum " Careful alignment, unity of purpose, and clarity of goal come together" proves that, he really spent worth-time to interrogate , analyse our present organisational system by "looking at how people ACTUALLY work, rather than how they SAY they work" :) ...more
Shaw
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Five enthusiastic stars for Scrum. I wish I had read this book a long time ago. While a large part of this book is the "why" of Scrum, there is enough "how" in here to get you started, even though it does just scratch the surface. I dare you to read this book and not want to look for more resources online to help you implement Scrum. Whether you are managing a team of engineers, writing a book, or planning a wedding, Scrum can have a profound impact on your ability to complete a project on time ...more
Marta
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is not a Scrum how-to book. Rather, the story of its making and its philosophy. The concepts are highly adaptable to not just software, business, but everyday life as well. He talks of how to increase productivity of teams by improving communication, eliminating waste, and continuous improvement. I especially liked the idea is that team happiness is the greatest predictor of success. I enjoyed the conversational style and the positive, inclusive attitude.
Stijn Zanders
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Most valuable book in a long time! Besides that it is an easy and quick read. Don't see any reason not to read it ;)
Francisca Painhas
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the most useful books I read, it explores the foundations and principles that make scrum work so successfully, and how it applies not only to the purpose it was created but to most fields.
Alex Fürstenau
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: heard
Well, a book about Scrum from the father of Scrum.

It is not a book for beginners and it is not a book for experts (are there any books for experts at all?)

If you are in the HA state of using/implementing agile, you or team members tend to ask things like "Can we skip this?" or "Can we change this to that?".

This book explains the answer to these questions by stating why something is defined like it it is now.

All in all a great and amusing audio book which I highly recommend.
Romans Karpelcevs
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, tech
I already knew quite a lot about Scrum, but it was an interesting short read nonetheless. I forgot some things I learned years ago, and this book served both as reminder and gave me a few new ideas to try. I was surprised to learn Scrum was inspired by Lean, including waste elimination, reducing WIP, all that.
The book is a bit overpromising, though, and doesn't mention challenges or overcoming them. It's mostly about selling the idea than about any advanced implementation.
Robert
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was familiar with the basics of SCRUM and some of the terminology but to read about the origins and the ideas behind it is very impressive. I'm definitely going to use the theory in my daily life!
Lukasz Nalepa
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This is one of the worst book I've read lately. It is packed full of my personal most hated characteristic: self-righteousness. It is also poorly translated, and it presents the Scrum as the best thing that happened since the decalog... I hate this narration, and I am sick of reading how Jeff single handedly invented Scrum, MVP and probably entire IT industry. Seriously, I can't recall any occurrence of Ken Schwaber in the entire book. Seriously, after reading this book I would be convinced that ...more
Jay Hennessey
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
Get ‘er Done!

I LOVED THIS BOOK! Once again, I did the audio / kindle split. However, this time, I utilized Overdrive, the free online public library app - it is AMAZING. I signed up for 3 local libraries online; got my library cards and was off to the races. If you have not tried Overdrive, check it out.

There were so many take aways in this book that I absolutely loved. I should probably go back through the book before writing this, but historically, if I do not write now, it won’t get done.

By
Soheil
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
You could learn a lot from this book. The positive point is that the author is the actual person who made the SCRUM system. So he knows the core principles and explains them in a very understandable way.

The premise of SCRUM is to share everything with your coworkers. Secrecy is the model that will lead to the downfall of companies. As long as people work together and try to make the "team" win instead of "I", the company and people within it will prosper. I found lots of similarities between Lea
Shubhra
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business-books
Very well written and engaging! For those who already know about scrum, this book would be a delight. It elaborates the intention behind the processes followed in Scrum rather than just the technique for the sake. If you follow scrum or intend to, this should be your first book to understand the idea. You can drill down on the details later. A must read for managers and CEOs!
Michael Burnam-Fink
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2020
Good management is good management. Cargo cult gibberish is cargo cult gibberish. And the intersection of the two is Scrum, a management philosophy that promises orders of magnitude improvements everywhere.

Some parts of scrum are obvious. Spend time doing things that are valuable to the customer. Delivery that value quickly and incrementally. Don't get bogged down in monumental efforts tied to thousands of pages of documentation that no one has actually read, or actually understands. The basic u
Elena
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shared at my office that i liked the concepts (they are applicable not only at my work but also my personal projects, great) and was asked to prepare a presentation (mid January) so decided to listen to the book for the second time. Will also check an ebook version of it just before the presentation. If i had to present on all the books i went through, my rate of material retention would have been much MUCH higher :)
Matthew M
Jun 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Good introduction to Scrum but lacked ideas for practical application. Ideas were useful and borrow a lot from Toyota and their Lean Production System. The author was also completely full of himself which didn't take away from the value of the information but did get annoying sometimes.
Frank Naitan
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: programming
This had lots of good, practical advice.
BLACK CAT
Work in small teams (max 17).
Sprint: demo/build something that works in a small timeframe.
Let the experts choose the way the problem will be solved.
This almost opposite from the waterfall model.
Daily standup: quick tasks and blocks of the day.
Do one thing at a time.
Don't do half of something, complete it and release it.
User stories: define briefly the "what". INVEST criteria.
Epic: collection of small stories.
Planning poker not hours.
Quantify/measure happiness.
Visibility in everything.
Keep impro
Ayelet
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work
Scrum isn't just for developers. This book really made me think about how I try to multitask- and why I really can't-- and how I can work more efficiently to get more done, faster.
Josh Steimle
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Quite possibly the most important business book I've ever read, in terms of making a tangible impact on how I run my business, and how I want to run my life.
HCS Book Club - Scrum Discussion 1 5 May 10, 2019 04:14PM

• The Scrum Fieldbook: A Master Class on Accelerating Performance, Getting Results, and Defining the Future
  • Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days
  • Scrum Guide
  • The Phoenix Project: A Novel About IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win
  • Scrum Mastery: From Good To Great Servant-Leadership
  • Geração de Valor – Compartilhando Inspiração
  • Pense simples: Você só precisa dar o primeiro passo para ter um negócio ágil e inovador
  • Measure What Matters
  • Essential Scrum: A Practical Guide to the Most Popular Agile Process
  • Scrum and XP from the Trenches
  • Software in 30 Days: How Agile Managers Beat the Odds, Delight Their Customers, And Leave Competitors In the Dust
  • The Age of Agile: How Smart Companies Are Transforming the Way Work Gets Done
  • Agile Estimating and Planning
  • Agile Product Management with Scrum: Creating Products That Customers Love
  • Lean Inception: How to Align People and Build the Right Product
  • Scrum: a Breathtakingly Brief and Agile Introduction
  • The DevOps Handbook: How to Create World-Class Agility, Reliability, and Security in Technology Organizations
  • Inspired: How to Create Tech Products Customers Love

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Sutherland is a Graduate of the United States Military Academy, a Top Gun of his USAF RF-4C Aircraft Commander class[citation needed]. He flew more than one hundred missions over North Vietnam[citation needed]. After 11 years in the military, he became a doctor at the University of Colorado School of Medicine[citation needed]. Here he got involved in data collection and IT systems development.

Dr.

News & Interviews

“No Heroics. If you need a hero to get things done, you have a problem. Heroic effort should be viewed as a failure of planning.” 11 likes
“Multitasking Makes You Stupid. Doing more than one thing at a time makes you slower and worse at both tasks. Don’t do it. If you think this doesn’t apply to you, you’re wrong—it does.” 9 likes