Start by marking “Gold Dust Woman: A Biography of Stevie Nicks” as Want to Read:
Gold Dust Woman: A Biography of Stevie Nicks

Gold Dust Woman: A Biography of Stevie Nicks

Stevie Nicks is a legend of rock, but her energy and magnetism sparked new interest in this icon. At sixty-nine, she's one of the most glamorous creatures rock has known, and the rare woman who's a real rock 'n' roller.

Gold Dust Woman gives "the gold standard of rock biographers" (The Boston Globe) his ideal topic: Nicks' work and life are equally sexy and interesting, and
Published September 5th 2017 by St. Martin's Press (first published October 21st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Gold Dust Woman, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Julie
Gold Dust Woman: The Biography of Stevie Nicks by Steven Davis is a 2017 St. Martin’s Press publication.

She rings like a bell through the night
And wouldn't you love to love her?
She rules her life like a bird in flight
And who will be her lover?
All your life you've never seen a woman taken by the wind
Would you stay if she promised to you heaven?
Will you ever win?
Will you ever win?

In the past year or so, I’ve read several rock memoirs and biographies with very mixed results. I swore them off for a
Diane S ☔
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 My husband and I have often told our now grown children, that we grew up with the best music. They actually agreed, there was so much diversity in the seventies and eighties, meaningful music, but also so much that was new, unique. Have been a Stevie Nix fan for a very long time, just love her unique voice, so haunting at times.

This was a biggie for me in more ways than one. It is only the second audio book I have listened to, and I thought the narrator Christine Delaine did a superb job. B
Katie B

I honestly didn't know that much about Stevie Nicks or Fleetwood Mac prior to reading this book. I've heard many of their hit songs, was aware that Stevie and Lindsay Buckingham dated years ago, and knew that the group continues to tour but sometimes certain members are missing, but that was about it when it came to my knowledge. Given this is an unathorized biography, the information presented in the book is most likely already known by fans of Stevie who have followed her throughout t
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book will take you twice as long as you think it will to read it because you'll have to re-listen to a lot of great songs.
Tammy
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Initially, I thought that this was a bit lifeless. I've changed my tune. Gold Dust Woman is a serious look at the career of Stevie Nicks and by association Fleetwood Mac. I was surprised to learn that the talented front woman actually had little power within the band at least at first. This is an unauthorized biography so Davis relies on previously published interviews Nicks gave throughout her career as well as interviews by other band members and various comments by hangers on. Davis is respec ...more
Mandi Schneck
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Anyone that knows me knows that I'm a die hard Stevie Nicks-aholic. I gobble up info on Stevie like it's going out of style, and even have a crescent moon tattoo on my wrist dedicated to the original Sister of the Moon. I was lucky enough to see her live a few months ago, and have never been the same. This is why when I had the opportunity to have early access to the newest Stevie biography I jumped at the chance to absorb even more information on this musical queen.

Gold Dust Woman by Stephen Da
Erica
Prior to listening to this book:
Here's what I know/have heard about Stevie Nicks.
--Stevie Nicks is legally blind. I was a kid when I learned this and I thought it meant she couldn't see at all because kids who don't live near or with blindness don't understand it's not an all or nothing thing.
--Stevie Nicks was always on-again/off-again with Lindsay Buckingham. Related: when single, she caused all sorts of trouble in the band because she was so beautiful and mystical.
--I didn't like her as much
June
Feb 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
I could have just Googled old Stevie Nicks interviews which apparently is JUST WHAT THIS AUTHOR DID. No original reporting, because there are some things that could really use follow-up questions. Like when the author talks about Nicks picking up someone in NYC in a limo. "Some livery companies used by Fleetwood Mac in those days were reportedly instructed not to send black drivers for Stevie Nicks." Umm...what? And THAT IS ALL THE AUTHOR SAYS. And how about this description of a Halloween Party ...more
Whitney
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rawk
I got through this book — this whole entire BOOK! — not suspecting that it was UNAUTHORIZED. Stevie has not approved it. Being the verbose public figure that she is, she has put out enough of her own story to satisfy herself, I suppose. And so the author culled many many many interviews and firsthand accounts, and he had passed her backstage more than a few times, enough to generate one or two mental snapshots of Behind-the-Scenes Stevie. Author very cleverly used a smoke and mirror effect to hi ...more
Shane
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Davis co-wrote Mick Fleetwood's autobiography, however this unauthorized effort lacks an insider status. Sources include album liner notes, song lyrics, Stevie's commentary from her DVD "Crystal Visions," and magazine articles. As such it reads more like a compendium or "greatest hits" account of widely available material. There are also several inaccuracies, beginning with getting Nicks' birthday wrong, oof.

Nevertheless, it might be of interest for new fans who lack the broad outline of Nicks a
Judy
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it

This is an unauthorized biography, meaning that Stevie Nicks had no say in how it was written and that the author did not interview her directly but based his book on interviews with others who knew or worked with Stevie and on other media sources.

Given that overall shortcoming, it is still pretty good. If you are or were a Stevie Nicks fan and a Fleetwood Mac fan, there is plenty to like and learn as well as plenty of inside dirt and snark. Good old celebrity culture at work.

I read it in a th
Robin
Apr 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir-bio-rock
I had read and enjoyed Davis' bio of Led Zeppelin so I was anxious to read this new in-depth biography of Stevie Nicks and it was very well done. It spanned her entire life, from her childhood experiences to meeting Buckingham, through the trials and tribulations of her involvement with Fleetwood Mac, to her solo life and work to late 2016. Casual fans or those who aren't aware of her work may find this too detailed but die-hard fans will eat this up.

I am a casual fan, and even though I've read
Susan
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Incredibly boring book full of errors such as wrong date of birth, "leathern" journal, her age in 2008.
Lance
Great book on a.legendary performer

I write this review as an unabashed fan of Stevie Nicks and reading this book was just as good as listening to the Fleetwood Mac album "Rumours" or singing along ( badly) to one of my favorite songs of all.time, "Edge of Seventeen." I loved the entire story of Stevie, drugs and heartbreak included. The most interesting fact I learned from.the book was that the title of that song came about because Stevie misunderstood a comment from.Tom Petty's wife. She met To
Emerald
Reading this was like a walk down memory lane for me. I've always been a fan of Fleetwood Mac and grew up listening to them. Landslide is my favorite recording of Nicks and Fleetwood Mac and many others. There were so many famous bands and music titles I recognized. I was really surprised to find out that most of her songs that she wrote were about her intimate friendships and relationships in her professional and personal life. This struck me as odd that she didn't find inspiration from other s ...more
Dorie
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: music-music-bio
Gold Dust Woman:The Biography of Stevie Nicks🍒🍒🍒🍒
By Stephen Davis
2017
St Martin's press

I truly enjoyed this biography. Stephen Davis, for me, has a style of writing that is personal and makes me feel like I know the subject and understand them. It makes this a fun and memorable read.
I have been a fan of Stevie Nicks, and loved her music and mystique. Her legend and talent, her ability to persevere and always move forward, and her love of music are inspiring.
This bio delves into her past relation
Sarah Beck
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Stevie Nicks is my absolute favorite singer, songwriter, performer, and all around person in general, so I definitely took forever to finish this book on purpose, because it's the best Stevie biography I've ever read. Stevie has said that she hasn't written her own memoirs because she's loyal and knows too much, and wouldn't want to hurt anyone by spilling secrets, but this book is a fantastic record of her life, feelings, failures, accomplishments, and incredible star power. I'd recommend it to ...more
Charlene
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: biography
I honestly don't know how to rate this book. It's fair to say I was obsessed with it when I first began reading. I borrowed it to listen to while I fall asleep, but it was so addictive, I had trouble getting to sleep. I would dream about it, think about first thing when I woke up, and would play the songs from the time period covered in the current chapter I was reading. It was complete emersion and complete bliss.

However, as time went on, I liked Stevie Nicks less and less. I can't tell if tha
Andrea
Feb 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Interesting since I didn’t know very much about Stevie Nicks to begin with but the fact that it was an unauthorized biography often seemed glaring. It would have been a much better book if the subject had actually been involved.
Maria
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. A tad too detailed for my taste in a few instances but over all really informative and entertaining! (I also can't get over the fact Stevie is a Twiheart)
Stefanie Onieal
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m a sucker for any book by a favorite lady of rock. This book inspired me to watch hours of old Fleetwood Mac concert footage, play it on an endless loop in my car, and watch Dave Grohl’s documentary about Sound City.
Alyssa
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you are a fan of Fleetwood Mac or Stevie Nicks (solo) music, you’ll love the history documented in this book. I listened on audiobook and paused several times to listen to each album as it was referenced in the book. Only one error that I caught, otherwise very impressed with the details and way he showed Stevie evolving through her experiences, both personally and professionally.
Deborah
Apr 28, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Returned to the library--very poorly written.
Sally
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Christmas 2017 present from Sweeter.
I read this in the month after Christmas, and loved it. So cool! From her age five stage debut at the elbow of a well-meaning drunkard grandfather to her current third solo album before Dreams was written as the creative result of an intense love affair with the Eagles lead guitarist Joe Walsh. In her own words, the years 1983-86 were a blur. When she came to after he left her, she had a trove of romantic songs waiting to be written.
The Welsh Witch is enchan
Donie Nelson
Aug 15, 2018 rated it did not like it
This is a book for the super fan of Nicks or Fleetwood Mac. An unauthorized bio in which author readily admits the contents are taken from other published material, It reads as the "Cliff Notes" for the names & dates of Nicks' lovers, drugs & songs. I have a hunch the author used a spreadsheet and then sorted by date.
Amanda Noel
While I liked this biography, I did not care for the narrator on the audible version I listened to which took away from the story a bit. Her constant attempts to imitate the voices of the characters in the story, especially the deep voiced British Mick Fleetwood drove me crazy. The book could have also been titled Gold Dust Woman: A Biography of Stevie Nicks and History of the Song Rhiannon (the many ways it was sang, where, when, and why it was sang), and I grew slightly tired of the (at one po ...more
Meredith Watson
Apr 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
How did this even get published? It's just thrown together from old interviews, often out of context. He got facts like her birthday wrong. Ridiculous.
Daniel Pitterman
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jordyn Redwood
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Listened to the audio of this book.

This is a very extensive biography of Stevie Nicks and as a fan I definitely learned a lot that I didn't know before. Also, if you have any interest in Fleetwood Mac, this has a lot of information as well as the biographer followed the band around to write a biography on one of male band members.

The one drawback is that this author doesn't seem to have interviewed Nicks directly at any point, but utilizes extensive magazine articles and television interviews
Barbara LeMere
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biographies
I really enjoyed reading Stevie Nick's biography. There is a lot of information about her earlier life and how she met Lindsey Buckingham and ended up in a long-suffering relationship with him. They also met fellow musicians along the way and it was apparent early on that Stevie was a serious talent. Joining Fleetwood Mac was a turning point for them in more than one way. This one reads in a for more chronological order than Brian Wilson's but it still has Stevie's voice behind it. I highly reco ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Stevie Nicks: Visions, Dreams & Rumors
  • Sweet Dreams Are Made of This: A Life In Music
  • An Outlaw and a Lady: A Memoir of Music, Life with Waylon, and the Faith that Brought Me Home
  • Thanks a Lot, Mr. Kibblewhite: My Story
  • Fortunate Son: My Life, My Music
  • Queens of Noise: The Real Story of the Runaways
  • Delta Lady: A Memoir
  • The Mansion on the Hill: Dylan, Young, Geffen, Springsteen, and the Head-on Collision of Rock and Commerc e
  • Million Dollar Bash: Bob Dylan, the Band, and the Basement Tapes
  • Three Dog Nightmare: The Chuck Negron Story
  • The Doors Unhinged: Jim Morrison's Legacy Goes on Trial
  • Gone Feral: Tracking My Dad Through the Wild
  • Mick: The Wild Life and Mad Genius of Jagger
Stephen Davis is is a rock journalist and biographer, having written numerous bestsellers on rock bands, including the smash hit Hammer of the Gods. He lives in Boston.

Librarians note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.
“In December 1974 Fleetwood Mac was a band on the run, a band in exile, a band in serious trouble.” 1 likes
“I’ve narrowed it down to nobody,” 0 likes