Start by marking “The Delta (Sonja Kurtz, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Delta (Sonja Kurtz, #1)

The Delta

(Sonja Kurtz #1)

Assassin-for-hire Sonja Kurtz is on the run. Kurtz, an ex-soldier turned mercenary, is given a high profile job—to kill the president of Zimbabwe. But it's a set up, the assassination attempt fails, Kurtz has been burned and her exfiltration plan are in ruins. Kurtz now heads for her only place of refuge, the Okavango Delta in the heart of Botswana. Determined to lay low a ...more
Published October 7th 2014 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2003)

Start your review of The Delta (Sonja Kurtz, #1)
Nicola Sheridan
I loved it. I mean really loved it. Loved it like-a-fangirl-and-tweeted-the-author kind of loved it.
Why did I love it so much? Honestly I don't know where to start, but I'll start with Sonja.

Sonja Kurtz - a realistic female alpha who can kick ass like Jean-Claude Van Damm with guns, do stealth like Predator and keep it real like Ripley. She is my hero, she's real, and to just top it off, she's a mother as well.
It is entirely possible I have my first fictional girlcrush since Anita Blake Vampire
Joan
Feb 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant! Made me cry - twice.
Move over Wilbur Smith, Tony Park is here and he's a better writer.
Bree T
Sonja Kurtz is a mercenary. Born in what was then known as South-West Africa and forced to flee to neighbouring Botswana during a war, Sonja eventually left Africa for England, joining her mother who had also left Africa to return to the country of her birth. Sonja joined the British Army and served as a soldier and after that became employed by a private company who provide ‘solutions’ to difficult situations.

After a failed assassination attempt on the President of Zimbabwe in which she is doub
stevekeiretsu
I don't know why but I'm stuck in a loop of reading dissatisfaction. I'll read something kind-of "trashy" and get annoyed with it for being too lowbrow, predictable etc, which inspires me to pick up something more "serious" next, and then I get annoyed with that for being too heavy-going, pretensious, etc.

So it was with this one - casting aside a more challenging read, I thought "this is the sort of airport thriller I'm more in the mood for right now", and then within a few pages found myself g
Marianne
Jul 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Delta is the 7th fiction novel by Tony Park. Once again set in Africa, the main character this time is a female mercenary, Sonja Kurtz. After an attempt to assassinate the President of Zimbabwe goes wrong, Sonja escapes to Botswana. There she intends to look up her first love, Stirling Smith, at the safari lodge he still manages. Against her better judgement, her boss, Martin Steele, involves her in a plot to help the Caprivi Liberation Army and to blow up the newly-constructed Okavango Dam ...more
Paige Turner
Jun 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Delta is Tony Parks 7th novel set in the African continent. The story focuses on Sonja Kurtz, an African born ex British army soldier turned mercenary. Sonja is forced to run after failing in an assignation attempt on the president of Zimbabwe. She is wounded and seeks help near her childhood home in the Okavango Delta in Botswana. The Delta holds many special memories for Sonja and she looks forward to meeting her first love, Stirling Smith, now a safari manager in the park where she grew u ...more
Patricia Ann
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Exciting! Thanks to Goodreads, I've added another author to my "must read" list. "The Delta" is a wonderful thriller with a strong, intelligent, logical woman; Sonja. She is a mercenary, a product of her childhood upbringing in Africa. Through Park's writing, it's a page turner that educates about the history, the geography, politics, government, personal agendas, and greed without being pedantic. We follow Sonja and Sam (a TV /wildwoods survivor) in the struggle between oppression, greed, and " ...more
Roger Scherping
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love how the author wove into the story vivid descriptions of the sights, sounds and smells of the African bush. It really put the reader there.

I feel like I got to know Sonja better than any character I've ever read in a single book. She is a very complicated person, and the author carefully laid out her history, emotions and personality in a very convincing way.

Sam, on the other hand, I had a hard time with. In the course of the book I couldn't figure out if he was supposed to a buffoon of a
Sue
Apr 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sonja Kurtz is a mercenary. She travels after a failed asassination attempt on Mugabie, to her former home, a safari park in Nimibia,where she hopes to rekindle an old relationship. On the way, on horseback, she rescues "Coyote" Sam Chapman who has been abandoned in a TV reality show gone wrong. Enough said but there is a lot of shoot him ups, blowing up of a dam, hot sex, reconciliation with a reformed alchoholic father and rebellious daughter, political intrigue, greenie influences to culminat ...more
Sep 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well it was an engaging read and easy to read. A book I would call "mash Potatoe in that it didn't make you think to hard - although it was a little about political conflict in Africa. The heroine was slightly unbelievable!! But no more so than James Bond really.

I would recommend it for holiday reading - especially if you are going to that area (Botswana/Namibia)

It would be a good teen read I think.
David Campton
Set largely in Botswana, but this is not the genteel Botswana of Alexander McCall Smith nor is the heroine a traditionally built lady detective but a cross between Lara Croft and GI Jane, while some of the male characters are stereotypical sweat-stained refugees from a Wilbur Smith book.
Simon
Oct 03, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

I enjoyed the book, it really reminded me of Wilbur Smith who I am a big fan of. I did alway wonder if I really fully liked Sonja the lead character, however I think by the end I did!

It has certainly made me want to read some more of this authors work.
Heather
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was painfully slow and boring. It was inundated with too many flashbacks, and political and historical details which really interrupted the flow of the story. The only parts I liked were the descriptions of animals and places I'd seen and visited on my trip to Africa last year. Yawn!
Jack
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An action packed story featuring Sonja, an African born ex British army soldier turned mercenary. Well written and kept me wondering what would happen next.
Bruce Greig
Jan 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having been to Zimbabwe and other African countries I could relate to the some of the places and experiences the author describes.
Kiwileese
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read! Love all of his books!
Cathy Cameron-dow
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed it was action packed couldn't put it Down
Kaite
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I won a free copy from the Goodreads First Reads Giveaway Program and think that it interesting. I would recommend it to everyone.
Nancy Mcdaniel
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
LOVED IT. I just wish Tony Park's books weren't so hard to find in the USA. This was my first of his and I am DESPERATE to read more!
K.
Aug 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I won a free copy from the Goodreads First Reads Giveaway and would recommend it to everyone.
Susan
Aug 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
A ACTION SET STORY FULL OF SUSPENCE A GOOD READ THANKS TO GOODREADS FIRSTREADS FOR THE FREE BOOK
Elmien Le roux
Mar 21, 2016 rated it liked it
If the first 60% of the book was as fast moving as the last 40% it was worth 4 stars.
Durinda
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Loved it. I started reading it while on one of my long haul flights to South Africa. I was hoping to finish it while I was there but sadly had to cut my trip short due to the current Coronavirus pandemic, so I was in my hometown less than a week.

This is book 1 of Sonja Kurtz series, so introduced to a whole new set of characters. I loved reading about the Okavango Delta and areas that we wish to visit in the near future. Being an ex South African and growing up in South Africa, now re
Lynn
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
I never became engaged or caught up in this novel about a female mercenary soldier in Zimbabwe. The characters weren't well developed, the action wasn't exciting, it was a struggle to read through to the end. It might not be my type of book. I'm generally not a Thriller reader but the setting in Southern Africa made me feel that I could enjoy it. I found the writing clunky and unexciting. Just not for me.
E.R. Yatscoff
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Can't go wrong here. This has got all the action and intrigue I like. Add to that environmental issues and the African bush. Sonya Kurtz rocks. This was a clearance pile pick. Give my action books a go.
Irena
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: action
Fabulous story, exciting, and thoughtful. Worth the read.
TJ
May 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Could be a decent story but by page 100 it had become clear the author only saw women as sexual objects — each man describes the woman he comes across in sexual terms — not worth the read
Jenny Majid
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Surprisingly, even though it was Politically based, i really enjoyed this book
Rose
Dec 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
African thriller in Okavango Delta of Namibia and Botswana. Plenty of colorful action.
Ward
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Just okay at a 2.7-star ranking. A good beach read. Provides reader with insights into Africa, but the story a bit too James Bond-fantastic which isn't my reading preference.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Ghost Fire (Courtney, #18)
  • Cry Wolf
  • The Way of the Runner: A Journey into the Fabled World of Japanese Running
  • The Forgotten Sea
  • The Goodbye Man
  • The Survivors
  • An Archer's Crusade (Lord Edward's Archer series Book 3)
  • Deviations From Paradise (The Rourke Saga #3)
  • Smoke and Mirrors (Stephens & Mephisto Mystery, #2)
  • Call of the Raven (The Ballantyne Novels, #0.5)
  • The Good Turn (Cormac Reilly, #3)
  • The Last Hunt
  • The Elephant Whisperer
Tony Park was born in 1964 and grew up in the western suburbs of Sydney. He has worked as a newspaper reporter in Australia and England, a government press secretary, a public relations consultant, and a freelance writer.

He served 34 years in the Australian Army Reserve, including six months in Afghanistan in 2002.

Tony and his wife, Nicola, split their time between Australia and Africa, where they

Sonja Kurtz (4 books)
  • An Empty Coast (Sonja Kurtz, #2)
  • The Cull (Sonja Kurtz, #3)
  • Last Survivor (Sonja Kurtz #4)