Start by marking “Hunting Unicorns” as Want to Read:
Hunting Unicorns

Hunting Unicorns

3.35  ·  Rating details ·  996 Ratings  ·  141 Reviews
Hunting Unicorns is a stylish, screamingly funny, razor-sharp look at the British aristocracy in decline, from Bella Pollen.

Adrift in a rapidly changing world, the Bevans cling to tradition while wrestling with taxes, tree blight, and the need to keep the family skeleton firmly in the cupboard.

The Earl and Countess of Bevan--charming, mad, and emotionally abbreviated. Dani
Published January 28th 2014 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published March 21st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Hunting Unicorns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hunting Unicorns

Alexis
Jan 15, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NOBODY!!
Shelves: umm
I have absolutely NO idea why I finished this book. I guess I was just hoping it would get better but it definitely didn't. The story was crappy, the writing was terrible and I could have told you after about 10 pages exactly what was going to happen. Guess that's what I get for buying off the clearance shelf...especially after just finishing Love In the Time of Cholera.
Sharon Bolton
Apr 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Over two centuries of growth and majesty reduced to stumps and I think it was the first time I ever saw a grown man cry.”

I had an unusual experience the other day. I simple could not face another crime novel. I’d had enough of missing children, screaming mothers, blood-drenched clothing, formaldehyde-scented basements and alcoholic detectives. I wanted something relaxing, light, up-lifting. A book more akin to pink candy-floss and lime jelly babies than blood spatter and scratch marks. Somethi
Helle
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Hunting Unicorns' is a well-written, entertaining romp with a heart, and I found myself laughing out loud once or twice, yet felt moved at other times. It's partly about a look into a dying species - the English aristocracy (the 'unicorns', or as one aristo himself calls them: 'dinosaurs') - and partly about the intercultural meeting (or clash) between an English man (who himself is a member of aforementioned species) and an American woman (who very much is not) and the ensuing events as their ...more
Lisa
Jun 03, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted this to be better than it was. I liked the subject matter - the opportunity to poke fun at the anachronism that is the English aristocracy - was irresistible. The execution was sadly disappointing. It was ok for a rom com I suppose.
Praveen Palakkazhi
Well, this one was a bit of a surprise – and a delightful one at that. I probably would never have picked up this sardonically funny little book if I hadn't chanced on it in a footpath stall selling second hand books in Thrissur, decrying it as chick-lit. It was on my reading queue for a while, before I decided I needed a quick and easy read to lighten things up a bit. Now I'm wondering which of Bella Pollen's books I should tackle next.

The story centers around two brothers and their family, who
Sho
Apr 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Romantic comedy with a Wodehouse feel. Hmmm. I think I'll be the judge of that. (a charity shop buy, it was apparently a Richard and Judy summer read in 2004)

Started life as an idea for a film. Goodness only knows, maybe Hugh Grant or Colin Firth were in mind for Rory... however. It was hilariously funny in places, sad in others and insightful elsewhere. Wishy washy cop-out ending.
Lindsay
A good book for passing the time. A quick read, and very predictable.
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
A great summer read! A very nice romantic comedy with some funny moments, although it definitely could have done with more wackiness and eccentricity;-)
Margaret
Jan 12, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There were certain times that I thought this book might get better, so I read on. Finally, I got so fed up with Maggie that I could take no more. Didn't finish it.
Ann
Jan 29, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad. Chick fiction.
  • The Mermaid and the Drunks
  • The Promise of Happiness
  • All These Lonely People
  • The Accidental Time Traveller
  • Is There Anything You Want?
  • Making Hay (Honeycote, #2)
  • Early One Morning
  • After I Do
  • Going Gently
  • The Conjurer's Bird
  • The Food of Love
  • The Darkness & the Deep (DI Marjory Fleming #2)
Raised in New York , Bella Pollen is a writer and journalist who has contributed to a variety of publications, including Uk and American Vogue, The Times, the Sunday Telegraph and the Observer.

Author of five previous novels, including the best selling Hunting Unicorns and critically acclaimed Summer of the Bear, Pollen has tackled a broad spectrum of subjects from Cold War intrigue to decline of t
More about Bella Pollen...